Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment

What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Robbie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

This is my second pulmonary embolism, the first was four years ago and that one scared the pants off me. This ongoing one has gone to both lungs, they call it bilateral and I am using one injection 2 times a day and at the moment 5 tablets of warfarin. This is being monitored at the hospital then when my blood INR is right my general physician will take over the treatment.

Comment from: Flo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 14

A year and a half ago I had shortness of breath, fatigue and chest pains. I was sent to a pulmonologist who ordered a CT scan, D-dimer, blood tests and other tests. I started on Xarelto and returned for monitoring. No hospitalization. Three months ago symptoms started again, and I am back on Xarelto, CT scan and three major heart tests (all normal), again no hospitalization. I am otherwise healthy, now 84 1/2 years old. The clots are still there and are idiopathic, but I took hormone replacement treatment for pulmonary embolism for 17 years. It is scary and I don't feel my wonderful and well trained physician is paying enough attention and I need more information. Googling for information is not getting the job done.

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter