Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy

Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

After developing a pulmonary embolism (PE) after a hysterectomy. I was on Lovenox and warfarin for 6 months. My doctor sent me for blood work to see if I was at risk for more clots. I found out that I have a blood disorder called Factor V Leiden which is a gene mutation that causes blood to clot more than normal people. I had multiple miscarriages during my youth which is a result of this issue also. If you have had deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or PE, get tested for this. If you carry this gene your children should be tested also to see if they carry the gene because if they do they are at risk.

Comment from: Erika, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I collapsed on the street on my way to see my family doctor because of a sudden unfamiliar pain in the calf of my right leg. I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room of the nearest hospital, diagnosed correctly (with massive pulmonary embolism) and treated in the intensive care unit with thrombolytic therapy. This was 5 weeks ago. I am now on warfarin and will have follow up in a hematology clinic.

Comment from: Bradley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I had the same experiences and symptoms of many here. Doctors told me for over a year that nothing was wrong with me. Only after getting so bad and going to an excellent emergency room did they find the clots and start thrombolytic therapy. Listen to your body talking to you, then go to another doctor and another until you get one that will listen and do something. Most doctors in their office won"t listen, don"t want to listen and don"t have the equipment to do it right. And, not smoking, drinking, and abusing your body, makes it much easier to recover.

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter