Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler

Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: David D, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I had an ultrasound done on both legs, and around the groin area. It's not painful, and very good to have done especially in diagnosing blood clots so they don't travel.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I thought I had an ankle injury from running so ignored the swelling and pain too long. With a venous Doppler study it turned out to be a deep vein thrombosis which turned into a pulmonary embolism (PE). I was going through a divorce at the time and attributed the shortness of breath episodes as panic attacks. I totally didn't get it. I was young and healthy. Turns out I am diagnosed with factor V Leiden so am prone to clots. The fact that I never got one prior or during my pregnancies is a miracle. My PE was severe enough that the doctors have me on thinners for the rest of my life, which is an unsettling feeling. I have leg pain still from damaged veins, but ignore them and go ahead and work out, bike ride, hike, walk, and lift weights. Life is good.

Comment from: saragun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had the ultrasound, 2 of them. The first, the technician was worried about teaching somebody and pressed too hard every time she wanted to click on the thing. The other one was quiet and friendly and did not say anything about her findings but the doctor will get them quick. Really nothing to be afraid of.

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter