Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis


Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Nev8, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Blood clots were discovered post myomectomy (extensive fibroid removal) surgery. Two days after the surgery, I failed to walk properly on two attempts. First was moving from the bed and walking to a side chair in the room. Immediately I became nauseous and sweated profusely, and started to black out. Second attempt at walking was next day but failed for similar reasons exhibited during first walking attempt. X-ray and CT scan were immediately done and showed presence of blood clots in both lungs. Several pieces of clots were identified, but described to me by my doctor, as being very small. I have since been put on a blood thinner treatment plan; enoxaparin 150 mg daily. At next meeting with my doctor, he will discuss additional steps to be implemented going forward.

Comment from: David D, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I suddenly had shortness of breath, and a rapid heart rate. I called the ambulance and went to the local hospital. Upon entering I was put on a heart monitor, had an EKG, blood tests, and also a CT scan. The CT scan showed several large blood clots in my lungs (pulmonary embolism).

Comment from: QATaxman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I went to the emergency room (ER) on advice from my physician for severe thoracic back pain and shortness of breath. A CT of the abdomen with and without contrast was ordered. They determined at that point I had a PE (pulmonary embolism). My symptoms had been going on for about 3 months now. The doctor I had seen, not my normal physician, determined I had a muscle problem, prescribed a muscle relaxer and a steroid, not once but twice. The third time in, I finally saw my physician with a UTI (urinary tract infection). He called me the next day to see how I was feeling. I was not feeling any better, and the back pain was unbearable now with shortness of breath. This is when I finally went to the ER.

Comment from: Posey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 21

For several days, I noticed that I had difficulty climbing the stairs as my legs hurt and breathing was difficult. I am 81 and never had problems with climbing stairs or breathing. After a day I noticed that I was having difficulty breathing even while I was resting. I took myself to the clinic, and they immediately called the emergency room and informed them to see me immediately. A CAT scan revealed I had multiple blood clots in both lungs. The scan done on my legs did not show that I had DVT (deep vein thrombosis). I will be on Coumadin the rest of my life, as they have no idea why this pulmonary embolism might have happened, other than aging.

Comment from: LuckyMeg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had chest pain for about a week and it eased up. Then it came back again a few days later, along with difficulty in breathing. I went to the emergency room. My EKG was very off (more than its usual abnormality due to prior heart attack.) My D-dimer was negative. I was admitted to the hospital and cardiac enzymes were tested every 6 hours for the next day. They gave me oxygen and nitroglycerine and I felt better but was referred to my cardiologist. The chest pain did not get better while I was on nitro prophylactically so I was scheduled for a cardiac catheterization. My cardiologist was shocked at how good my heart looked and said there was something else going on. Within two days my leg was swollen and painful and I again went to the emergency room on my cardiologist's advice where they did ultrasounds of my veins and arteries and found DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in both major veins of my leg extending into my pelvis. It wasn't until this point they realized my prior chest pain and trouble breathing was a pulmonary embolism. I was immediately put on Lovenox injections, had an ilio-femoral thrombectomy and after a few days sent home on Xarelto, indefinitely. They suspect I have antiphospholipid antibodies based on preliminary tests but have to wait until I'm off anticoagulants to confirm. My hematologist has prolonged the treatment from the planned 6 months saying knowing what caused the clots is not as important as preventing more clots.

Comment from: Sean L, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I was diagnosed with venous insufficiency back in 2011. I got treated for venous ulcers that I caught many infections from, and was hospitalized for it. On one occasion I had leg wraps on to keep the swelling down and to force the blood from pooling in lower legs. One day I felt severe pain in my left leg. Later that night after work I started having breathing problems and could not walk more the 10 feet without stopping to take a breath. I went to my local emergency room and was taken to get a sonogram of my chest area, and was told I had multiple clots. I asked how many, and the doctor told me they were too many to count. I got blood thinner injections each day for 5 days and then was put on warfarin. I asked the doctor how long I had to be on these blood thinners. She said it varies but minimum 6 months or sometimes longer and everyone is different. So any of you that want to know how long you need these blood thinners, you need to get reevaluated from your primary care doctor. He will do the same test you received in the hospital to see if your clots are gone and most likely send you to a hematologist. And if you get a blood clot again after being on blood thinners you most likely will be put on blood thinners then for life. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Grayce21, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had surgery on the 4 little toes on each foot. Shortly after surgery, I noticed I would wake up drenched from sweat so badly, I would have to change my night gown. This went on for about 4 or 5 nights, until one evening, I noticed an ache in my chest. It felt just like I had a burp that was stuck. Thinking nothing of it, I just kept trying to make myself burp. By night time, I noticed I had a sharp pain on the ride side of my chest, but only when I yawned. Got ready to lie down that night and the left side of my chest ached more when I lay flat, so I slept elevated. The next morning, I woke up feeling extremely fatigued and feverish, a lot like some of the flu like symptoms. As I moved around, I seemed to get weaker and weaker. At one point I laid my head on the dresser in passing and that was when I said to myself, something isn't right. I decided to take my morning bath and said if I am not feeling better after, I am going to the emergency room (ER). I took my bath, and went to the ER. The EKG was fine. The CAT scan revealed the pulmonary embolism.

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
Comment from: Macca, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I had a CT scan done and when I went to collect them the receptionist advised me to go straight to hospital as the radiologist had spoken to the doctor. I was admitted and stayed 1 night for pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: Paige, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I had chest pains after a hysterectomy, and it would not go away with pain medications, so I underwent a EKG, and CT scan, and the CT scan showed that I had a blood clot in my right lung. Now I take a blood thinner each night as a treatment to try and prevent any new one's, and dissolve the one in my right lung.

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
FDA Logo

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet's Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet's subscriptions at any time.