Patient Comments: Pulmonary Edema - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary edema. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have had episodes of pulmonary edema for 10 years. It started after a fall off a horse, followed by an extremely bad cough/virus that lasted a couple months. The only occasions I have the symptoms are during sexual episodes when I am flat on my back for an extended period of time, or one incident when I was snorkeling. I do have high blood pressure since menopause. I am 59. I also have left bundle branch block with no evidence of heart attack.

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I went to hospital for scheduled surgery (colectomy). I was very dehydrated upon arrival and no one could start an IV. They (surgeon, anesthetist and nurses) tried about 10 times. Finally they got it going on top of the foot. They took me on to surgery and said they would put me under anesthesia and then get on. I came out of surgery thinking everything was ok. My oxygen saturation dropped on top of that I received Soma and some other medications I was not on. Now I was in full blown respiratory failure and no one knows what happened. I think I was overloaded with fluids, then medicines slowed my breathing, and then oxygen saturation kept dropping because of fluids in my lungs (pulmonary edema). I have never had and anesthesia problem. When I walked in and they could not start IV I was real dehydrated. I think I was overloaded with fluid loading my lungs and oxygen saturation dropping chain reaction. Now I have all these diagnoses that happened because I am just about back to normal.

Comment from: chachacha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had a CAT scan to check for cancer and was told that there was something wrong with my lungs. They looked foggy. I needed to see a lung specialist. The lung specialist diagnosed me as having pulmonary edema. He feels it is due to having worked doing paint and body work on vehicles during my 30s and 40s. My lungs have caused me shortness of breath and coughing ever since. I have thought that I had pneumonia quite a few times. When I visited the doctor, I was told that I didn't. There are times when I have had crushing chest pain but my angiogram came back totally clear. I am confused about why I have had a corticosteroid prescribed when I don't have asthma. I have very low blood pressure and still feel very confused about the whole thing.

Comment from: DLNew, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

While kayaking I overreached to pull debris out of the lake and was immersed. I immediately grabbed bag with camera, etc., and tried to get back in kayak but it had filled with too much water. Husband came over to help and I realized that I couldn't catch my breath which didn't make sense because I wasn't expending that much energy and am an excellent swimmer. Husband towed me behind him in water while I'm holding on to my kayak to get to a rock in the middle of the lake. I crawled up on the rock panting and coughing clots of blood. Water was cool but not cold but we had been paddling steadily. I was finally able to catch my breath after we dumped out the water in my kayak and he towed me to shore. I coughed up bright red sputum until next day and then it was rusty colored. Breathing is still not as deep as before.

Comment from: Trivedi, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

Thank you very much. These informative articles have helped us a lot. The water pill did the job. Since we are in a remote place the information was like a life saver.

Comment from: jacob, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 16

I think my friend has pulmonary edema, because he said he does, but I don't know for sure. He does not have shortness of breath, or any of the symptoms. He also said that water was filling his lungs. He told me that he could get it sucked out by a machine but it hurts really badly. I asked him if that wouldn't be better than dying but I guess not. I hope to find a cure that maybe does not hurt as much but if there is no other way, then I will make him. But I need to figure out a cure soon. He said he would be dead in two years.

Comment from: Margi Watson, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I have had about six terrifying episodes of not being able to breathe because of pulmonary edema. My lungs are having fluid in them, but the ECG said heart is ok. I feel I could die when it happens and try not to panic.

Comment from: Mimi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

Pulmonary edema is one of my main health problems. It started when I was a teenager, I never could understand why my ankles were swollen all the time.

Comment from: Redwood, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 29

Our 27-year-old son just died of pulmonary edema and aspiration. He had had two previous episodes of pneumonia, both requiring stays in the ICU for five days each. The second time, they told him he had most likely had pneumonia for several days and he thought it was bad seasonal allergies. We knew his lungs and heart were compromised because of these previous episodes, so chest pains, followed by sweating, plus heavy snoring at night should have been a clue. However, when you are 27, you think you are invincible. He was wrong. Get checked out!

Understanding COPD
Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was experiencing shortness of breath, attempted to drive myself to the hospital, had to pull over and call 911. Firefighters arrived first, thank goodness EMTs (emergency medical technicians) arrived soon after. My oxygen saturation levels were in the low 80s and I felt like I was drowning while on dry land. I have never been so afraid of anything in my entire life.

Comment from: Velvet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

One of main symptoms that isn't listed when you read about pulmonary edema is "coughing." I cough all the time, day and night. Obviously the fluid (edema) is causing it. I am also out of breath and dizzy most of the time.

Comment from: Runningtomuch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I am a fit mom of two and sometimes I like to run hard to help alleviate stress. I will end up with a blood taste in my mouth and pain in my tongue during or afterwards. I just read that pulmonary edema can occur in people sometimes after running or intense workouts. Not sure if this is something that should be checked out, but, I figured I would post it for anyone experiencing the same issue.

Comment from: Gemini, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I recently had a fall which cracked one of my ribs. During the x-rays they found fluid in my left lung. I have not had one single symptom as listed, so I was shocked to see the fluid they drained out. My heart and my health is fine, so I have no idea what caused it. I am having cardiac tests to make sure I am okay. My overall health is excellent.

Comment from: Triune, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I am 75 years old, and am in very good shape. I don't take drugs and I eat well and exercise. But two months ago I started to get a "pot". I also gained some weight. I began to get shortness of breath and found it hard to bend down to tie my shoes. I also had a dry cough and had to clear my throat all the time. Finally I went to our doctor to have an X-ray and was told my right lung was almost full to the top with fluid. They drained two and a third liters of fluid, which is four and half pounds, and have another liter and a half to go. Thank God for good Canadian Medical System.

Comment from: LadyBow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I feel lucky to be alive. I have had pulmonary edema and pneumonia twice at the same time. My oxygen dropped to 68% on O2. I did suffer some brain damage. After five years I still at times struggle to put sentences together.

Comment from: CY, 55-64 Male Published: October 17

I am a 58 year old male that just had a bad cough and a little shortness of breath. I noticed a severe bout of indigestion with a little chest pain, nothing serious. My wife insisted I go to the ER. Three days later, after they had drained 1.5 liters of fluid from my right lung, I had a triple bypass with mitral valve replacement. It's serious, get it checked.

Comment from: mother, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My son has hepatitis C and he is diabetic. His kidneys failed and he does dialysis three days a week. He gets pulmonary edema once in a while and when this happens, he gets short of breath, chest pain, weakness, off-balance, and sleepy.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My dad is on dialysis, he does not want to go to his treatment as required, he usually gets two treatments a week. He is always congested but he is not coughing up any mucus. He still has a very good urine output. Could this congestion be due to him missing his treatments and I would like to know if a diuretic would help him.

Comment from: ducklegs, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 19

My husband has pulmonary edema. He is 80 and has had l and l half quarts of fluid drained from his right lung twice in the past two months. The doctors can't figure out what is causing it. He is due for a bronchoscope this next week. He has no fever, no pain, just shortness of breath at that time. No heart failure, no liver enlargement, No alcohol no smoking. I appreciate the information in your article here. I feel it might be a drug interaction but still awaiting test info.

Understanding COPD