Signs and symptoms of pubic lice include
- itching in the affected areas (especially at night),
- inflammation and irritation caused by scratching, and
- blue spots or small spots of blood on your skin, such as on your thighs or lower abdomen (caused by lice bites).
Visible crawling lice or nits (lice eggs) may also be apparent.
Causes of a pubic lice infestation
The infestation typically spreads among humans by sexual contact and are considered to be a sexually transmitted disease (STD). They may also spread from close personal contact or contact with articles such as clothing, bed linens, or towels that have been used by an affected person.
Other pubic lice (crabs) symptoms and signs
- Blue Spots or Small Spots of Blood on Your Skin, Such as on Your Thighs or Lower Abdomen (Caused by Lice Bites)
- Inflammation and Irritation Caused by Scratching
- Itching in the Affected Areas (Especially at Night)
Main Article on Pubic Lice (Crabs) Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
12 Preventable STDs: Pictures, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
Sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia and genital herpes are common STDs. Think you might have an STD? You’re not alone....
Picture of Crabs (Pubic Lice)
Parasitic insects found in the genital area of humans. See a picture of Crabs (Pubic Lice) and learn more about the health topic.
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Examples of Medications for Pubic Lice (Crabs) Symptoms and Signs
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter