The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a series of biological changes that include a rapid increase in height, bone growth, weight increase, the growth of pubic hair, breast development and the onset of menstruation in girls, and testicle, penis, and muscle enlargement in boys. Read more: Puberty Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Skin Health: 15 Tips for Clear Skin
Acne, pimples, zits and blemishes often appear on the face, back, chest, neck, and shoulders where skin has the most amount of...
Puberty In Girls Quiz: Stages of Puberty
Take the Puberty In Girls Quiz to learn the myths and facts about normal adolescent growth and development for teens and tweens....
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Related Disease Conditions
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
Lymphedema is a condition in which one or more extremities become swollen as the result of an impaired flow of the lymphatic...
Iron is a mineral our bodies need. Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from not enough iron in the body. It is the most...
Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed....
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Scoliosis causes an abnormal curvature of the spine. When the cause of scoliosis is unknown the disorder is described based on...
Gum disease is caused by plaque and may result in tooth loss without proper treatment. Symptoms and signs of gum disease...
Acne is a localized skin inflammation as a result of overactivity of oil glands at the base of hair follicles. This...
Ingrown hairs may be caused by improper shaving, waxing, or blockage of the hair follicle. Symptoms and signs of ingrown hairs...
Hemophilia is defined as one of a group of inherited bleeding disorders. Hemophilia A and hemophilia B are inherited in an...
Gilbert syndrome is a benign genetic condition that causes abnormal breakdown of bilirubin, a compound that is formed when...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Myasthenia gravis, a chronic autoimmune neuromuscular disease. Varying degrees of weakness of the voluntary muscles of the body...
Turner syndrome is an inherited chromosomal condition affecting women. Women with Turner syndrome do not have ovarian function,...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Gum problems may be caused by improper brushing and flossing, gum disease, canker sores, treatments and hormonal changes....
Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)
Hyperhidrosis is excessive sweating of the underarms, palms, or soles of the feet. Treatment may involve over-the-counter...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Pimple vs. Cold Sore
Pimples are areas of skin inflammation with pus in the center. Cold sores are fluid-filled blisters. Pimples are caused by...
Thymoma is an uncommon cancer of the thymus gland. Many thymomas are asymptomatic. When symptoms do occur, they include chest...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Poland syndrome is a congenital malformation that affects one side of the body. Characteristics of Poland syndrome include the...
Alpha thalassemia is a disorder in which the alpha globin protein is underproduced. There are two pairs of genes that carry the...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
When dried sebum and dead skin cells block pores, blackheads (open comedones) result. Blackheads often appear on the face in the...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
Myopia, or nearsightedness, makes it difficult to focus on objects that are far away. The condition runs in families and occurs...
Just about everybody masturbates. Masturbation itself is the self-stimulation of the male or female genitals to achieve sexual...
The breast, or mammary gland is made up of lobules, milk producing glands, and a system of ducts to transport milk. Both males...
Prader-Willi syndrome is a condition characterized by severe floppiness (hypotonia), poor growth, delayed development, and poor...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Central Precocious Puberty
Central precocious puberty is characterized by the unusual early onset of puberty -- in girls, prior to 8 years of age, and boys,...
Puberty - Physical Changes
What were the first physical changes you experienced during puberty?Post View 4 Comments
Puberty - Other Changes
Describe what puberty was like for you or your child. What changes were most significant?Post
Puberty - Medical Concerns
What were the biggest medical concerns during puberty for you or your child?Post
Puberty - Early or Late
Did you or your child experience an early or late puberty? Please share your story.Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Pediatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Red Streaks on the Skin
- Mood Swings
- Teenagers: Your Teenage Son's Health
- Sexual Health for Men
- Teens - Ask a Therapist: Talking to your Teen
- Sexuality Education and Pregnancy Prevention
- Sexuality Education: What To Tell Your Children
- Sex : Intimate Questions and Concerns
- Sexuality: Waiting for the Right Time: Teen Abstinence
- Sexual Health for Women -- Mary Jane Minkin, MD -- 05/15/03
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Many Parents Not Happy With Later School Start Times
- Does Early Puberty Affect a Girl's Academic Achievement?
- Concussion Can Spur Short-Term Change in Women's Periods
- Heavy Teens May Be Setting Themselves Up for a Stroke
- Testosterone May Protect Men From Allergic Asthma
- Is Early Puberty in Girls a Risk Factor for Dating Abuse?
- Teen Suicide Thoughts, Self-Harm Cases Double in a Decade
- Depression's Gender Gap Shows Up in Pre-Teen Years
- Puberty's Onset May Depend on DNA
- Sexual Abuse May Cause Early Puberty in Girls: Study
- Trauma as a Teen May Boost Depression Risk Around Menopause
- Teens With Autism More Likely to Land in ER, Study Finds
- Young Cancer Survivors Can Face Higher Risk of Pregnancy Complications
- Too Much Screen Time May Raise Kids' Diabetes Risk
- Lower-Income Girls in U.S. Feel Unprepared for Puberty
- First Birth Using Ovarian Tissue Frozen in Childhood
- Got a Moody Teen? Lack of Sleep May Not Be the Culprit
- Why the Teen Years May Not Be Lean Years
- Are Tea Tree and Lavender Oils Safe for Kids?
- Health Tip: Hormones Can Affect Women's Dental Health
- Looks-Conscious Teens Trying Risky Supplements
- Female Pelvis Widens, Then Shrinks Over a Lifetime, Study Finds
- Cow's Milk Allergy in Childhood May Lead to Weaker Bones: Study
- Have Scientists Found 'Virginity Genes'?
- How to Talk to Your Teen
- Teenage Girls Now Try Alcohol Before Boys Do: Study
- Women Who Survive Childhood Cancer Stand Good Chance of Having Kids: Study
- Excess Weight Has 'Unexpected' Effect on Puberty Onset in Boys
- Breast Concerns May Sideline Many Teen Girls From Sports
- Bodily Changes Don't Always Signal 'Precocious' Puberty in Kids
- Metformin May Not Help Obese Teens With Type 1 Diabetes
- Relax, Parents, Your Teen's Moodiness Should Subside, Study Finds
- Many Obese Teens Don't Think They're Fat, Study Shows
- Short Boys Three Times More Likely to Get Growth Hormone: Study
- Minorities More Likely to Gain Weight in Childhood, Report Shows
- Soda Habit May Prompt Early Puberty in Girls, Study Suggests
- Almost All U.S. Teens Are Sleep Deprived, Study Finds
- Early Puberty Linked to Increased Risk of Depression in Teens
- Weighing Growth Hormones for Short Kids
- Gestational Diabetes May Influence Daughter's Weight Later
- Statins May Help Kids With Genetic Cholesterol Disorder
- Puberty Suppression Benefits Gender-Questioning Teens: Study
- Start School Later for Older Kids, Pediatricians Urge
- Children Face Highest Health Risk From Cell Phones
- Gene Study Gives New Insight Into Puberty in Girls
- Caffeine Affects Teen Boys, Girls Differently, Study Says
- Calling Young Girls 'Fat' May Increase Their Teen-Obesity Risk
- Many ADHD Drugs Linked to Painful Erections: FDA
- Early Puberty in Girls Might Be Linked to Bad Behavior
- Why Many U.S. Preteens Aren't Getting the HPV Shot
- Men's Bigger Builds Need Bigger Noses
- Earlier Onset of Periods May Not Mean Earlier Sex
- Study: Women at Higher Risk for Allergies, Asthma
- Childhood Obesity Again Tied to Earlier Puberty in Girls
- Early Periods May Signal Greater Diabetes Risk, Study Suggests
- Early Puberty Tied to Higher Odds of Substance Use in Teens: Survey
- More Menopausal Women Hospitalized for Asthma, Study Finds
- Talking to Your Daughter About Puberty
- Earlier Acne Outbreaks May Be Caused by Earlier Puberty: Experts
- More Evidence Links BPA to Childhood Obesity
- Scientists ID Gene Behind Early Onset Puberty
- Brain Surgery Eases Compulsive Eating in 10-Year-Old Girl
- Should Short Boys Take Growth Hormone?
- Obese Children Struggle With Joint Pain: Study
- Earlier Puberty: Age 9 or 10 for Average U.S. Boy
- Humira Might Help Kids With Tough-to-Treat Crohn's Disease
- Depression Rates Rise for Girls During Teen Years
- Exercise Controls Weight in White Girls Better Than in Black Girls: Study
- Preteen Food Choices May Help Predict Eating Disorders Later
- Health Tip: Help Your Child Develop a Healthy Approach to Eating
- Study: Constipation May Cause Bed-wetting
- New Genetic Clues to Breast Cancer?
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Varicose Veins
- Steps Women Can Take to Reduce Risk of Breast Cancer
- Health Tip: Help Your Child Create a Healthy Body Image
- Number of U.S. Kids on ADHD Meds Keeps Rising
- Health Highlights: Sept. 8, 2011
- Do Probiotics Relieve Constipation in Children?
- Obesity, Smoking Linked to Teen Migraines
- Many Girls Now Begin Puberty at Age 7, 8
- In Young Girls, Obesity Linked to Early Puberty, Analysis Reveals
- Survey Links Puberty to Violent Behavior
- Canned Food May Expose People to BPA
- Chemicals in Beauty Products Tied to Early Puberty in Girls
- Later Puberty Seen for Obese Boys
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter