Psychotic disorders are a group of serious illnesses that affect the mind. Different types of psychotic disorders include schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, schizophreniform disorder, brief psychotic disorder, shared psychotic disorder, delusional disorder, substance-induced psychotic disorder, paraphrenia, and psychotic disorders due to medical conditions. Read more: Psychotic Disorders Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Schizophrenia Quiz: What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder. Learn more about the challenges of mental illness with the Schizophrenia Quiz....
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
Related Disease Conditions
ICU psychosis is a disorder (also a form of delirium or acute brain failure) in which patients in an intensive care unit or a...
Brain Tumor (Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, Survival Rates)
A brain tumor can be either non-cancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant), primary, or secondary. Common symptoms of a primary...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Get the latest marijuana statistics and information. Learn its effects and how this drug, also known as pot, affects the brain....
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Head Injury (Brain Injury)
In the United States, head injuries are one of the most common causes of death and disability. Head injuries due to bleeding are...
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Schizoaffective disorder is a mental illness that features schizophrenia and a mood disorder, either major depression or bipolar...
Brief Psychotic Disorder
Brief psychotic disorder is a short-term mental illness that features psychotic symptoms. There are three forms of brief...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Schizotypal Personality Disorder
Schizotypal personality disorder is characterized by odd behaviors, feelings, perceptions, and ways of relating to others that...
Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is an illness where a person is overly preoccupied with some minor or imaginary flaw. People with...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Loss of Appetite
- Poor Hygiene
- Loss of Speech
- Abnormal Facial Expressions
- Unusual Behavior
- Inability to Regulate Emotions
- Lack of Facial Expressions
- Catatonia (Catatonic Behavior)
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- citalopram, Celexa
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- haloperidol (Haldol)
- Phenothiazine Antipsychotics
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- clozapine (Clozaril, Fazacio ODT, Versacloz)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
- paliperidone (Invega)
- brexpiprazole (Rexulti)
- perphenazine (Trilafon - discontinued)
Prevention & Wellness
- Can High-Potency Pot Make You Crazy?
- Magnetic Stimulation Device Approved to Treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Study Links Pot Use to Relapse in Psychosis Patients
- Psychosis Plus Pot a Bad Mix: Study
- Mixed Findings on Pot's Effect on the Developing Brain
- Psychotherapy May Be Effective Alternate Treatment for Schizophrenia, Study Finds
- Mass Murders: Why Us? Why the U.S.?
- Kids With Autism Common Users of ERs, Study Says
- Paranoid or Placid? Scans Show Pot's Effect on Brain
Mental Health Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter