Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: gwiz70, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I've had psoriasis for the last 27 years, initially misdiagnosed like most on this forum, I got diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 2 years ago. I have been on diclofenac for pain and sulphasalazine for the inflammation plus vitamin D supplements. Sulphasalazine has helped to keep the arthritis under control but has increased the amount of psoriasis patches on my body.

Comment from: shannon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I got an electric shock in my apartment swimming pool. The pool equipment was not connected to a GCFI (ground-fault circuit-interrupter) and after entering the pool, I dove forward. The feeling was excruciating like I was being slammed into a brick wall head first. It blew me back in the water, and pivoted me. Moving through the water was extremely difficult. It felt like the water was quicksand, slightly pulling me backwards. I pulled myself forward like I was dragging myself through chest deep sand. I couldn't lift my leg up in the water. I reached in the water with my hand and lifted my left foot onto the bottom step of the pool. I scraped my right elbow out over the pool side, got my arms propped under me and dragged my body out. I was immediately paralyzed. I had severe pain, like something had ripped apart all of my bones and tissue in my arms, hands, feet and legs. I called for help and a neighbor called 911. Half hour later I was able to walk with assistance and went to the emergency room. I have a herniated disk in my neck and nerve injuries in my arms and hands. The pain is most significant in my hands. I have regular neuropathy that has developed over the last 2 months. The incident occurred approximately 6 months ago. My memory and balance are off, my speech is affected, and ability to multitask is hindered.

Comment from: TIREDRN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at age 31 after having my 2nd child. I was bedridden with severe knee swelling and pain. I was able to get Enbrel along with methotrexate. Vioxx was wonderful but taken off the market. I'm allergic to Celebrex due to a sulfa allergy. Also I have ulcers from NSAIDs. For the last 12 years I have done fairly well on my current medications along with Lortab one 1hr before I get up and one in the evening.

Comment from: Honey Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have taken Diclophenic since 2000 when I enter a clinical research project involving double blind test of pill and spray form. I take it after breakfast in the morning with great results. Recently I was diagnosed with psoriasis of the nails. My Dr. told me to wear gloves when doing housework, using water and always when gardening or beekeeping. My nails totally improved in 6 weeks. I also get lots of sun and use Voltaren gel in my painful joints. Good luck to you!

Comment from: Cat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis last year at 40. It took almost two decades for a proper diagnosis. I had perfect health and perfect skin as a child, never used any type of drug, not even aspirin or other OTC medicines until after my 25th birthday. I started getting severe joint pain in my ankles, hips and spine at 22. I also had outbreaks of ugly psoriasis, which also didn"t get diagnosed until last year. The VA treated it as dermatitis with every itch cream on the market, which didn"t help at all. The arthritis in my spine and sacroiliac joints make it painful to stand, walk, sit, or lay down. Finally I got a diagnosis and am being treated with Enbrel. It changed the pain from unbearable to tolerable. Due to my allergies to medications, I don"t want to be on other medicines especially if I have to use them simultaneously. My doctors all say I should lose weight to put less stress on my joints. I work a highly physical job of stocking groceries all night, and don"t eat half as much as my overweight friends.

Comment from: adi, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I am 36 years old I had my psoriasis since 2012 and still going on. I already have been having treatment with UVB Narrowband light and so on but it didn't help; until I found out that the skin problem was causing the joint problem (psoriatic arthritis). And digestive problem causing the skin problem. So I tried fasting to give it a chance for healing itself and I feel better and better every day, because my digestive system had time to rest every two days. With that, I still have my topical Vaseline for my skin from skin specialist doctor. I hope this can help.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 34 year old mother of 2. I have had psoriatic arthritis since I was 14. I was diagnosed with everything from bursitis to being told my knees hurt because women's hips are wider so their knees wear to the sides! I was finally diagnosed properly 5 years ago. I went into remission with my first pregnancy but suffered terribly with my second. My disease has consistently gotten worse since. all of my joints are affected usually only one to a few at a time, constantly jumping from joint to joint. I have tried numerous medications. I refuse to take medicines with side effects that scare me! I struggle to find a safe medicine that I can take without feeling "stoned". I am the primary caregiver to my children and need to be alert and somewhat functional. I have decided to take indomethacin to take the edge off and deal with the stiffness and swollen joints just so I can be a mom.

Comment from: DaisyGirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have had psoriatic arthritis since I was 11, but back then they just called my swollen joints growing pains, I used creams and tar wraps to no avail, it was horrible growing up with flaking skin and not being able to run in track class. So I was made fun of quite often. It was years before I finally got my family doctor to really take an interest, he found that I had the classic pitting on the nails and that my toes had the sausage appearance to them. Now I see a Rheumatologist that has finally helped get my disease under some sort of control. I take Arava daily, plus Remicade every 6 weeks, plus a couple of muscle relaxants to help with the joint pain. I just wished my previous doctors had not brushed my concerns under the rug per say. Thank you to Dr. Jonnala for getting me on track!

Comment from: Gkachef, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I have had a small patch of psoriasis for about 10 years. Unfortunately the effect was a total fusion of 15 vertebra by calcification. This required spinal surgery and titanium fusion to stabilize my whole back. It has been one year since my surgery. It is better but I still have a long road ahead. I am hoping it does not attack any other areas, i.e. the rest of my non-fused vertebra or my knees, sacrum, etc. It remains to be seen. I am 56 years old and a retired professional chef.

Comment from: GT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I am a 58 year old male. At age 35 I developed psoriatic arthritis. Initial treatments included indomethacin, naproxen and then methotrexate. I started taking methotrexate orally 10mg per week. Results were poor. I am now on Humira and methotrexage (injected 20mg once per week) and have had good results. The only exception is my right heals where my Achilles tendon attaches, this area is inflamed and painful. My rheumatologist suggested other biological which I am considering.

Comment from: Proracer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

Ten years ago I was told I had Psoriatic Arthritis. My dermatoligist said there was nothing to cure me. My family doctor though suggested I try a drug called Arthrotec 75/ 200 mg. Well, I have been pain free for almost 5 years now, with only occasional flare ups of the pain when I do something to aggravate the arthritis. I started out with two pills a day, morning and night, but after less than one year, I was down to only one pill a day which I take at bed time. Maybe my success will help others. I am not cured, but I have the arthritis under control.

Comment from: chameleon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I'm Female, age 22. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in April 2011. I am currently on Methotrexate 22.5mg weekly, and Sulfasalazine 500mg 4 tabs daily. Along with 6-8 30/500 Co-Codanol, and 3 Diclofenac 50mg a day.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter