Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: shaz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have struggled with psoriasis in the scalp for 30 years. Then 6 years ago it started on my torso, breasts, upper legs and buttocks and I was using steroids creams. I stopped drinking beer and eating bread and barley, and it has all gone within 10 weeks. I also used coconut oil.

Comment from: RobertPacker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

Two months ago I came to an all-time low when I couldn't even walk outside without people looking at me. My scales on my arms, legs and head were constantly itching and practically glowed red, making everyone look at me. I've spent hundreds of dollars on different treatments for psoriasis but finally came across a treatment that worked for me. I feel like a different person and I'm now able to walk outside without knowing people stare at me. I recommend the Humankind Organics cream and shampoo, I haven't tried everything else yet but I'm jumping with joy this has worked for me. I wanted to share my experience because I know there are people out there like me who really needs this.

Comment from: Tami, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 23

My mom has had psoriasis since she was about 13 years old. She discovered around 27 years of age that her diet affected her flare up dramatically. Refined sugar and carbohydrates cause severe inflammation and flare ups. When she cuts these foods out of her diet her skin clears up dramatically.

Comment from: william, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have suffered with psoriasis for 50 years. The only effective treatment I have ever had has been methotrexate 10mg/month, but long term use can cause cirrhosis of the liver, and liver function must be monitored with a simple blood test every three months. I was told that chances of cirrhosis were 1 in 200 after 6 grams lifetime. Clobetasol and Dovonex et al are useless, treating only the symptoms and not the cause, which, I'm told, is an overactive immune system. Many dermatologists will not prescribe methotrexate, valuing their practices more than patient empathy. The best, most knowledgeable dermatologists will prescribe it.

Comment from: sirisiri32, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I have suffered with itching, scaly and flaking skin, redness, and psoriasis on my hands for 4 years. I have tried dozens of products to try to find relief from my symptoms. Nothing worked. Now, I am finally free of psoriasis for 1 year by using the Made from Earth aloe skin treatment on a daily basis. I no longer have to be embarassed to shake hands with people! I can't praise this product enough!

Comment from: gep, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I've been following Psoeasy treatment for over 2 years and I have almost got over my psoriasis.

Comment from: Ragmn, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

Try turmeric powder for psoriasis. You can consume a few pinches of turmeric with milk before bed. It reduces itching to a large extent! You can find turmeric powder in Indian grocery shops.

Comment from: D. G. KALAL, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I am a 91 year old male and I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in 1973. I chose homeopathy therapy and it worked fantastically. The only thing that helped to cure my psoriasis was homeopathy. The result was swift even at the age of 91 years. It helped my nails and other health problems too. The doctor's advice about diet and lifestyle is marvelous.

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

About 15 years ago I developed palmoplantar pustular psoriasis, what a nightmare, and definitely triggered by stress. At the time I had great medical insurance through work and went to the psoriasis clinic 3 times a week for PUVA therapy and after a year it cleared up; my hands first but my feet took twice as long. I left that job but stayed clear for a few years with no treatments. But then I began to get plaque psoriasis gradually spreading. I found that sunlight and bathing in the ocean cleared it up nicely but winter brought it back again even worse. I then found Roscara lotion, which is made from seaweed and slather that on every day after the shower and that was like bathing in the ocean every day and has kept me clear all this winter. I also notice an improvement when I cut back on sugar and starches.

Comment from: hawks, Female (Patient) Published: February 23

When I was about 12, I developed plaque psoriasis on my elbows, back of my knees, buttocks, and front ankle. It all went away after I dealt with my emotional issues. Many years later at age 45 it came back, again after a great turmoil. I know in my case it is related to my emotional wellbeing. Some foods do tend to aggravate, coffee, smoking, spicy foods, but I believe if you can take care of your emotional side it will go. It is definitely curable, I am a living proof!

Comment from: trig22, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

Both my son and my mother have eczema and a bit of psoriasis (i.e., persistent ongoing problem with dry flaky skin) on their hands. I bought the Lady Soma skin and nail cream for them and it cleared up within a week! Skin is now clear and healthy.

Comment from: foster, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I start drinking coconut water and using coconut oil on my skin, hands, elbows, legs, and buttocks; amazing results in two months, skin started clearing up. I saw a dermatology doctor. I started taking sulfasalazine 500 mg 3 times a day, plus Tiamol emollient for 2 months and the psoriasis got worse again. Now I am off sulfasalazine, still used the Tiamol cream with oral Soriatane 25 mg once a day at supper plus UVB light 3 times a week, let's see if this works.

Comment from: daisym, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 21

My daughter used to have severe psoriasis, and when the outbreaks were really bad, we used the Somaluxe Argan oil directly on the outbreaks, and that made them heal faster for her. After using it for some time, her psoriasis became less. Good luck to you!

Comment from: Jay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I use Melaleuca shampoo and cleansers with Melaleuca oil for psoriasis. It stops itching and heals the dry skin and is taking the red out of it. It is on my face.

Comment from: vivi, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I had psoriasis from a very young age like 3 or 4 and it has been so bad that it had affected my whole body. It had affected my toe and other fingers that it would be hard to walk and it got a lot worse with winter. I have tried all kind of medications but none provided good results. And then finally I turned to Ayurvedic treatment. The treatment took years and believe me, it's never easy to follow Ayurvedic medicines, they are so bitter and also you have to follow a very strict diet. But it really works, even though it took a couple of years it can be totally cured.

Comment from: Marce, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

Folic acid cleared up my psoriasis. I take 800 mcg a day.

Comment from: novelator, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I've had psoriasis all my life, over five decades. I have the pustular form and some other kind that takes off toe and fingernails. My daughter has it. I have generally been in remission for years. After three months of working 12 hour days six days a week, I noticed a couple of pustules forming on the fingers of my left hand. So, I bought some chromium picolinate. I take one a day, along with my mega multivitamin and 1000 mg vitamin C daily. No more pustules formed, the immune system is calming down, and I am going back into remission. Chromium picolinate works wonders. I had one outbreak with pustules so bad that my hands would develop sores and they would weep. No one wanted to touch me or have me touch them. It was only by accident I discovered chromium picolinate. In two weeks, the outbreak mentioned above was gone. I thought this might help someone out there. Psoriasis is something that needs to be managed from the inside out, not the 6 to 9 billion dollar a year topical cream market.

Comment from: Sanya, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My family is prone with skin disease maybe because of hereditary reasons. When I saw my daughter with psoriasis, I consulted a known dermatologist in our place and here is what she gave my daughter for medication: I used Muporin Ointment for my daughter and after a month, with regular application (1 in the morning and 1 at bedtime after cleaning with soap and water), her feet were cured. Occasionally on cold weather it occurs but I just put on Muporin again and it works! As for my daughter and husband with psoriasis on scalp, I use Tricort cream every day after shower (once a day). I saw improvements after 2 days and after a week it was gone! And when it occurs I just put on Tricort cream and it also works!

Comment from: vingers, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I have found that Bee Balm, an ointment consisting of beeswax, propolis, honey, papaya, and oils, seems to control the psoriasis on my legs.

Comment from: Elena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

They said there is no cure for psoriasis, but I had for years since I was 9 years old to 17 approximately. I don't have it any more, or at least it does not show on my skin. I spent years with the specialist, and got nowhere, so I sought advice and changed my diet 100 percent until today. I eat food that have properties, always looking for depurative products, so always detoxing my body. I use leeks, kiwi, prunes, beetroot, figs, etc. Some people don't believe what I am saying, but the proof is there. Also I don't eat anything fried or grilled, and no red meat. Not forever, just until your skin get better. Finally sea salt soap helps.

Comment from: Road Block, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

Sun and more sun is the best for psoriasis. I have tried all the ointments, salves, etc., sun is the only answer.

Comment from: Tamarab, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

As someone who has suffered for over 20 years with several autoimmune diseases like diffuse connective tissue disease, lupus, arthritis, and type 2 diabetes, developing psoriasis came as no surprise to me. I've also had chronic pancreatitis (now calcific chronic pancreatitis) since I was 15 years old. I started getting a patch of psoriasis on my left elbow about 5 to 6 years ago, that usually got better during the warmer months when I was outside more, that just caused very dry scaly skin. In the last few months it has gotten much worse, even after the summer months, which usually seems to make it better, but I haven't been feeling well and haven't been outside much. I finally showed my doctor the spot and he put me on 2 weeks of prednisone (.05 a day), since it was red, swollen, and hurting really bad in the joint area now. It helped a little, but not much. I also used tea tree oil before I went to the doctor and after, that helped some. I think the best treatment so far has been the ocean water which I'm in a lot during the summer, and the sun, plus going to the tanning bed in the spring and summer months occasionally. Since I've had a bad summer health wise, I've only been in the salt water twice, very little sun and no tanning bed at all in almost 2 years! So, apparently they were helping more than I knew! I have been advised it's time to see a dermatologist, since it seems to be affecting my joints and getting worse. I was just wondering if this disease can affect your joints and cause pain, without having the scaly rash on them. I have a lot of pain in my joints and it seems when I'm in the sun a lot my symptoms get better. I'm curious if the widespread pain could be from arthritic type psoriasis and if it is possible to have severe joint/body pain with psoriatic arthritis, but not had the rash or scaling beforehand.

Comment from: robfrommd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

My dermatologist gave me Cloderm and Clobex, a spray and a cream. I have scalp psoriasis and plaque psoriasis. These medicines have worked great! However, I believe that my reel saving grace was to quit smoking cigarettes, when I did this the large scales seemed to drop off and vanish into thin air. I truly think that my change in habits had more to do with my scales going away than the medications, but I do think they helped break up the scales. Good luck!

Comment from: aish, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had psoriasis since I was 19, I am almost 20 now. I got it mainly because of stress, severe stress. I was in depression for months so patches started in my elbow, then grew to my toes and finger joints. I am using mustard oil and moisturizing creams, it works. Please don't take steroids at all. They are very harmful and act for a short time only. I also use a propyl salicylate ointment. It helps greatly.

Comment from: mama4ever, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I experienced my first bout of psoriasis when just 8 years old and it had only gotten worse, patches on knees, scalp that never stopped itching, eyebrows that were always itchy and flaky, until I tried Wen hair cleansing products. The tea tree conditioning cleanser has worked miracles for me. I use it on my hair, elbows and eyebrows (carefully!) and after one wash the results were dramatic. I have tried the coal-tar and other shampoos and never had good results. I believe the sulfates in most of the OTC shampoos were just making things worse.

Comment from: Bobdole1, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with psoriasis at age 22. I knew I had had it since I was young but it had never flared to a noticeable point until my early 20s. I"m 33 now and have found the best way to control it. I have guttate psoriasis, scalp buildup and pitted fingernails and rarely, if ever, does anyone notice. I used clobetasol foam on my scalp (it"s like a normal hair product), Dovonex for my fingernails and I use a mixture of sugar and olive oil on my skin every time I shower. Does that seem weird? Heck yes, but it has no smell, it doesn"t leave my skin greasy and it seriously helps get rid of the psoriasis, quick! Try it out: 1 cup of sugar mixed with 1/3 cup of virgin olive oil - mix and apply to the body in the shower after you have used soap (not before as the soap will remove all of the oils). This has worked for me, a guy that went through every form of treatment out there. Oh, and yes, sunlight and saltwater are miracle cures; I just live too far from the sea.

Comment from: Lillypad, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am living with psoriasis for about 10 years now. I use Dovobet ointment, however it never made it go away... at all. Recently I cut out all sugar from my diet. I sometimes eat fruit (low in sugar) and cut out alcohol. I noticed my skin get better within a week. It's almost been two weeks and it is almost gone. I had it all over my lower legs, buttocks and arms. It"s a hard thing to do. But since I am seeing results. I can never go back.

Comment from: KC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

One year ago, I went to the doctor because I had flakes in my both hands. At first, the doctor told me that it was unspecified dermatitis but after a month it was getting worse. I already had flakes in my elbows. The doctor prescribe me with steroid but it was still the same, the psoriasis was getting worse. I started to research about my case then I saw this Wassen Zinc-ACE. This is not a medicine, this is a supplements which is good for our immune system. I started to take 1 tablet per day as per instruction then after 2 weeks the flakes in both my elbows and hands are gone. Now I am not ashamed anymore because of my ugly hands as before.

Comment from: Flygrrl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I developed severe psoriasis all over my body as a child. I think the stress of moving to a new state and away from my childhood friends triggered it. Doctors had me try tar shampoo and oil on my scalp to loosen the scales, which just made me a smelly, oily outcast. Finally I saw a specialist at age 16 who prescribed light box treatment. That did the trick. Now I make sure I get a little sun exposure and salt water (ocean, pool) regularly and use baby oil after my shower while skin is still damp and basic moisturizer on my face. I still have some on my scalp because it doesn"t see the sun, but no worries. Sun and salt are very healing; no medications.

Comment from: Shelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have psoriasis all over my body. I have tried every medication that was prescribed by my dermatologist; none worked. I started going to a tanning booth about a year ago and my psoriasis is all but gone except a small patch on my knee. I use Vaseline every day to keep my skin from any itching.

Comment from: Psteven, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

In the past 20 something years, I have got back and forth. I think I started with Selsun Blue shampoo and that seemed to work but my psoriasis was not bad back then. Then it stopped to work and my psoriasis got worse. I went to the doctor and he gave me steroids. They worked as well but it didn't last. I then started using Psoria Trax and it has worked ever since. I have gotten to the point where I use a 5% in the winter and a 3% in the summer.

Comment from: searcher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had dramatic results of improvement in psoriasis after going to Dead Sea spa last month. After research I found that it is possible that the body uses up minerals trying to fight gluten. So I am not eating gluten bread anymore. The sea salt baths help remove toxins and also absorb good minerals of which you may be lacking. I also used Melaleuca Renew intensive care therapy. Also you may be vitamin D deficient so you need sunlight. Possibly eating eggs may help as you may be sulfur deficient.

Comment from: Suresh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

Turmeric is an effective medicine for psoriasis. Take 2 teaspoons of pure turmeric power (better to use homemade turmeric powder) and mix with half glass of water and drink early morning in empty stomach. It will cure your problem within a month. It's from my experience.

Comment from: kimber321, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm 46 years old and have had plaque psoriasis since age 15. I've been through the prescription topical creams, light treatments, Amevive, etc., I was 98% covered. Not a single doctor ever told me not to touch the beer. I stopped it and saw how quickly you begin to clear up. Pork is another culprit as it is slow to digest and affects the immune system. For topical relief I tried Boudreaux's Butt Paste, baby diaper rash cream. It may cause a burning sensation for some but for others it is like any other cream and it clears this stuff up. It is $6.99 at the drug store and far outshines Dovonex. For the scalp treatment, Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo works quickly. I added zinc or zinc supplements to my daily routine, along with the above. I went from 98% covered for years to having only the smallest of spots in 2 or 3 places, all low cost and over the counter.

Comment from: pittypat1976, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have psoriasis mainly on my hands and inside my nose. I first got 6 injections in each hand and it cleared all of it up but after 2 months it all came back. My palms are raw. Dermatologist gave me ointments and more injections and oral pills. With this treatment 9 months ago, I started having PVCs (premature ventricular contractions), atrial fibrillation, shortness of breath, heart failure with swelling and weight gain and ended up having a heart ablation with a LINQ monitor in my chest. I stopped the pills and injections and now all my heart problems are gone. Pay attention to the side effects. So now I am going to try some Ideas I have read here. The ointments don't work. Just cost a lot of money!

Comment from: rachael078, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I'm 19 and I have had psoriasis since I was 2 years old. It has always been all over my body but has recently gotten worse due to exam stress. I've tried so many different topical creams but nothing seems to do the trick! I've just started phototherapy again so hopefully that will clear it up!

Comment from: paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I use Nerisone fatty ointment on prescription very effectively for psoriasis.

Comment from: Flippy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I have infrequent attacks of psoriasis on elbows and more recently knees, easily controlled with betamethasone cream as long as it is applied as soon as first itch. Many years earlier I had 'bubble skin' finger tips where outer layers would separate and peel off.

Comment from: gee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I've had psoriasis for 35 years and only just used a cream for athlete's foot and the results are amazing. Maybe now I can wear a skirt and go swimming for the first time.

Comment from: Carlos, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I've had psoriasis for 29 years, and I found out about Alpha Mane eczema/psoriasis oil. My skin has never been as clear as it is today, and for the first time I am really excited about the summer. I'm telling everyone about this product.

Comment from: Michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with psoriasis after being put on lithium for manic depression. I use Dovonex ointment, Advantim creams and antifungal creams. Have used coal tar creams, soaps and solutions in the past to no avail. I find a swim in salt water daily in summer and a bit of sun and regular exercise plus water all help the skin. Must keep skin moisturized and have found sorbelene with glycerine & Vit E to be a good basic cream.

Comment from: swtgretchen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I just got guttate psoriasis for the first time three months ago from getting strep throat. It took four doctors to figure out what I had. Everyone else thought it was an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin they gave me. I still have it. I read about the light therapy, but the doctor said for me not to go to the tanning salon because it's not good for me. I realize the risk, but I would rather take the risk than be itching from head to toe with this horrible thing!

Comment from: Sas, 25-34 Female Published: November 19

I never had any symptoms of psoriasis until a month or so into my first pregnancy. My scalp got flaky and I would wake each morning with white all over my pillow and then all my nails started lifting off the skin and patches appeared on my elbows, knees and arms. Once I finished breast feeding it all started clearing except for my scalp. My nails grew back and my skin cleared but then I got pregnant again and all the same areas came back. My second child is now 3 years old and apart from my nails being back to normal nothing else has cleared. I saw many doctors and have tried many creams, but now pretty much just live with it. What I hate most is when my lower legs flare up and I can't wear anything short in summer. My father has it in his scalp and both my mother and sister have different skin disorders so I'm guessing it's genetic. I just hope my boys don't end up with it!

Comment from: Allison, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am 19 years old and when I was 14 I got tons of red and scaly bumps on my whole body; my arms, stomach, chest, legs and then it started creeping to my face. Doctors, dermatologist etc. didn't know what was going on, and then I finally had tests done and I was diagnosed with Guttate Psoriasis. None of the creams or treatment worked for me, and I got sick of applying them on my whole body 3 times a day. Then I resorted to tanning. It is not covered by my insurance or anywhere in doctor offices in my town so I went to the local tanning salon. Ever since then I have been able to control my Psoriasis. It's sad that I have to resort to it, because of skin cancer, melanoma etc., but it is the only thing that helps (for me) and it gets bad again when I don't tan.

Comment from: irishgeoff, Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I tried Roscara psoriasis cream.

Comment from: Gabe, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I have classic psoriasis patches on my elbows and knees, with minor spots appearing on my forehead and sides. I even have small patches on my penis. This all started in my 20s and now I cry every day from shame and embarrassment. I can't have sex because of this. I've tried all the creams, lotions, potions, ointments, and unguents; nothing works. I want to die.

Comment from: pepe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I'm living my whole life with psoriasis and I've tried everything but it just seems like there is no cure. I wonder if there are any of you who has got psoriasis cured forever and not for few weeks/months.

Comment from: prince rajput, Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I have been suffering from psoriasis for 12 years and I have been treated in many hospitals. Then someone told me about a homeopathic doctor. Within 1 year there was a huge difference in my psoriasis.

Comment from: santhosh, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I underwent Siddha treatment which is a traditional treatment in south India, I was treated in the year of 1998 till now there is no repetition of skin lesion which was labelled as psoriasis by allopathic physicians by way of biopsy. It's curable.

Comment from: maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I am italian. I have suffered from a heavy form of psoriasis for 30 years. Once, upon suggestion of a friend I tried PH-21 Psoriasis bath and cream and after one month I saw a miracle. My skin is regenerated and now I live much better.

Comment from: ahmed mahrous, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I have had these patches for as long as I can remember. They are small and migrate. For the past three years, they have been on my hands. After what seems like a life-long search for the perfect cure, I finally found Elocon (mometasone furoate cream). It's a very effective treatment. Also, swimming in the salt water of the sea is a miracle, and I have found that controlling emotional stress, avoiding injury of my hands, and keeping them constantly moisturized is a good way to avoid psoriasis.

Comment from: RavenMadd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

For those looking for stuff with coal tar in it, Neutrogena has the shampoo T-Gel. It is coal tar shampoo. There was someone who was looking for products with it, so here you go.

Comment from: fayetta, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My doctor prescribed Enbrel, but then my psoriasis flared to encompass my entire body. Now, I have been given a prescription for methotrexate, which I have not started yet. I pray that I will get some relief from this ugly and miserable disease that keeps me awake at night with the itching.

Comment from: reddog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have tried everything from coal tar baths to injectables. Enbrel was really helping to clear my psoriasis, but my insurance doesn't want to pay. So today, I returned to the doctor. We are going to start on Soriatane and see. I have 40% body coverage and it seems to be progressing. I have had this for 25 years and have gotten little relief.

Comment from: Mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I'm 54 and have had the common form of psoriasis for 8-9 yrs. It started under my fingernails, then my shins, then the sides of my palms, and just lately - under both big toenails! Probably hereditary from my grandmother. Nothing worked until I tried Relieva. My docotr tossed me a trial tube of this cream one day and it started working. Almost immediately the itching stopped, then the plaques started disappearing. My shins are completely clear now for over 1 year. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for nails. You don't need a prescription, it's 100% drug-free (highly concentrated banana peel oil!), and it works for 50% of cases. Thank God it works for me! I woulld crawl over broken glass to get some! Hopefully it will work for some of you as well. Good Luck!

Comment from: jenniferg, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 15 years old and I've had slight psoriasis on my scalp, forehead, back, and chest since kindergarten. I went to a homeopath doctor and a chiropractor in first grade, and it went away. It came back this year, and in the early months I put loads of moisturizing cream-such as Jason's- on it every night, and it went away. it came back about a week ago and I'm starting to put cream on it again, and hopefully it will work!

Comment from: Moragmc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had psoriasis on the soles of my feet for several years. This summer it seemed to be clearing up, maybe because I wore open sandals. A few weeks ago, when the weather got a little colder, I wore socks, and within days, I had excruciating itching and the psoriasis had come back with a vengeance. Creams only seem to make the itching worse.

Comment from: MT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I've suffered with psoriasis for 22 years. When my doctor told me that I had psoriasis, I was just 12 years old. I had no idea what it was, but his clear and short explanation made me understand it straight away. “You have psoriasis. You will see this plagues your skin very often. It won't kill you, it will not reduce your life time, not even a second, but you have to get used to living with your creams maybe until you die (Hopefully not).” For the first few years, I was just trying to understand what made it better or worse. My best treatments have been steroid creams or ointments (they are seriously strong stuff, but at least they work quickly and you don't have to use them too much).

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

The best treatment I've had is cyclosporine. Unfortunately, when I wean off of the cyclosporine, I have a return of the symptoms.

Published: July 29

I have had psoriasis since I was 10 and it was not until I was in college that it started to get really bad. In addition to my scalp, I started to get patches on my arms, legs, back and stomach. With about a year to my wedding, I started to talk to my dermatologist about other treatments. I started light treatments (three times a week) in addition to creams and ointments. I did see some slight results, but I did not want to walk down the aisle with any patches. With about six months until the wedding, I went on Enbrel (two times a week). In a month, I started noticing dramatic results, and by the time I got married, I was practically psoriasis-free! That was three years ago, and I have been using Enbrel on and off since then. When I am off of it, the patches start up where it first began 18 years ago: on my scalp and elbows. Once I start back on the Enbrel, it does its job quickly and clears up the spots. When I first started on Enbrel, I did notice I had a harder time fighting colds and seemed to get sicker quicker. Now I do not feel I have any side effects, and I am so thankful to be lucky enough to have wonderful insurance that covers most of the medication.

Published: June 13

I have psoriasis on my scalp. I also have really dry skin on my arms. I know it's not dandruff because it is when I am stressed out. I begin to "pick" at the sores in my scalp. I have bought "T-GEL" and found quick relief for the itching and burning of the plaques. The shampoo stinks, but if you put it in your hair and get out of the shower and let it sit 10+ minutes, you get a soothing/tingling feeling. Great relief! Whatever you do, don't overuse the shampoo. It will dry out your hair! Also I've learned to skip other styling products or rinse out daily.

Published: June 12

I have tried all drugs in the books to no avail, until I tried Enbrel, but for about two years. Then we tried Humira and like magic all the patches disappeared, except for a few areas on my legs. Once again I can wear short sleeves and free of psoriatic arthritis as well.

Published: June 10

Well, I do know what DOESN'T work for my psoriasis. I have used steroid creams, with little improvement. Just when I think it's getting better, it flares up again. Also, I talked to my doctor and he said that you need to modify your treatments frequently because Psoriasis gets "Used to" the medicine, and the medicine becomes less effective. Also, I have never been "Clear" so I'm going to talk to my doctor soon about my condition.

Comment from: Nanny, Female Published: January 20

I had psoriasis in my elbows and scalp many years ago. I tried creams and ointments that doctors gave me. I used the coal tar ointment. I was using that when we drove from MD to Florida. I used it on my elbows. My right elbow was on the door where the window is and that elbow was exposed to more sun (and probably magnified by the window) and it disappeared from that arm. While in Florida I used the ointment on the left arm and made sure it was in the sun and it cleared up. I had a flare up later and was applying the creams and ointment the doctors gave me. We had a cabin in the mountains and we lived in the water. Swimming, boating and fishing. The river had a high sulfur content. One day after swimming for hours with my children my elbows were itching. I rubbed them and the patches of scales just peeled off. I have never had a break out of such magnitude again.

Comment from: nicole, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I've had psoriasis since I was born. Both my parents have it, so they knew what it was when they saw it. I get it on my scalp really badly sometimes, and haven't found a shampoo that works yet, but I'm always trying. My mom and I have noticed that it tends to get worse with us when we are stressed out. It always gets worse at the end of the semester. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, I get psoriasis on my torso, especially on my stomach and up my spine, but I've never seen a website mention this.

Comment from: donnakay56, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 20

My husband has been using Polytar soap for 35 years. Now I can't find it anywhere. Products with coal tar in them have always worked for him in the past, but I don't know what to do now. Anyone else having the same problem, getting products with coal tar?

Comment from: RameeD, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

My psoriasis started when i was maybe in my late teenage years. I didn't notice it at first, but when I became pregnant it went away. Shortly after I stopped breast feeding it came back. I only get it behind my ears, my front scalp along the hairline and my eyebrows. I really hate it, but I have found an Rx that works good for me. I am a Woman of color and I use Derma Smoothe FS Scalp Oil. It smells like baby oil and it is the best. When I use it I never itch my head. I would highly recommend this to another person experiencing the same discomfort as me.

Comment from: char, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have been using Soriatane, I have recently noticed my gums have been bleeding and now they have small brow areas around the gums, will this correct itself or do I have permanent damage, I am stopping the drug. I would appreciate any information you might have.

Comment from: Brandon H, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 17 years old today actually! I've been using Clobex and it works well, but I just hate using creams. The only negative thing I've seen from it is that it turns you spots white but that's it. I'm sure if your out in the sun a lot they will look better, but I'm not.

Comment from: kdakin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Last year I went to the foot doctor because my toe nails looked bad I thought it was nail fungus infection. He took off both toe nails then this year I had another one removed after that I noticed a breakout on my hand rash with little white spots in the center. I finally got to a dermatologist and found out that I had psoriasis. What a shock to find out that my so called 'toe nail fungus' was really psoriasis.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter