Patient Comments: PSA Test - Patient Experience

What were the results of your PSA test and how did your doctor proceed in light of the results? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Software_Bear, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

My PSA went from 6.1 to 7 in 16 months. Urologist suggested action. I chose radiation (44 sessions over 10 weeks). In week 3 the radiation sparked prostatitis and bladder inflammation. I was on fire! (This happens to only 5 percent of patients.) I started Pyridium 2 times per day in conjunction with 400 mg of ibuprofen once or twice a day. This went on for the next 7 weeks. A week after the treatments stopped the prostatitis and bladder inflammation subsided. Now scheduled for PSA test 3 months after the end of treatments.

Comment from: RJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

A nurse called me and said my PSA came back at 56. I asked if that was in the normal range, and she said yes. I am 55 and have had trouble urinating at a time in my younger years. A lesion on the side of my penis was surgically removed. I am having split stream sometimes, and I told the doctor I had penile cancer at that time and it was removed. Now I am worried what a number of 56 means. She said I was fine. I am freaking out.

Comment from: Willie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

My PSA level is 31.70. In the last three years it has gone from, 11.0 to 22.0 to 31.70. I had a biopsy that determined I have prostatitis and I am being treated for that.

Comment from: Indians12b, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

PSA was 2.6 and free PSA was 20 percent. No action was required. I am advised to be tested again in 3 to 6 months.

Comment from: Ron, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

In November 2014 my PSA was 2.3 and my PSA free was 17 percent. In February 2015 my PSA was 2.4 and my PSA free was 16 percent. A CAT scan for another problem revealed a moderately enlarged prostate. The doctor referred me to a urologist.

Comment from: JOHN ZEPHYR, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

My prostate measure is 4.9 x 4.7 x 4.4 cm, weight/volume is 54.1gm; grade 2 prostatic enlargement, capsule intact. No calcification noted. Also there is this range PSA 10 of possible cancer. I don't have an answer for all of this.

Comment from: joseph, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

My father had prostate cancer at 60 so I have been getting tested for PSA every 12 months. I just got the latest results 1.3 so I'm very happy as I just turned 60 myself!

Comment from: Jmj, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

My PSA is 4.7.

Comment from: BOB DE., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

My PSA test result was 9.10. Doctor has scheduled me for biopsy.

Comment from: hondaaero, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

My PSA level is 2.6 and the doctor suggested to have a test run again in 30 days. The condition was no sex for a week before the test.

Comment from: Ram, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

My PSA level was 4.3, after 3 months jumped to 5.3, and a month later it was 4.5. The doctor ordered a PCA3 test, and it was 33. Now he has scheduled a MRI next week and then biopsy in 3 weeks.

Comment from: Mcbioseh, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

My PSA read 1, my doctor thought I should not bother about a follow up such as scan and biopsy. But I am worried since my brother died recently of prostate cancer.

Comment from: razor, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 11

My PSA is 7.3 and my doctor has told me to return in 6 months.

View the Prostate Cancer Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: Thom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I have BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) with increasing symptoms. I have quit having terazosin due to fainting spell (doesn't fit with my blood pressure medicine) and recently started self-medicating with health store supplements only. Finally I went back in; PSA was 2.0 and doctor said I am fine, no nodules, no infection per urinalysis and he was not concerned that last time 2 years ago PSA was 1.0. He said when it is that low, it will fluctuate test to test. Trying Jalyn now but it is surprisingly expensive. Just started it so not sure to what degree it is helping yet. I am staying on health store supplements as well.

Comment from: LC, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My PSA was over 2,000. I had prostatectomy in 1997. They suspect life-threatening prostate metastasis. Is bone scan even necessary!

Comment from: crazyreb, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I am into my 5th week of radiation treatment for prostate cancer. My PSA was 7.

Comment from: Chris, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

PSA was 6.1, retested in 3 months for 6.7. Suggested biopsy is pending now.

Comment from: poiter, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I did PSA test and got back level of 1 percent. I am booked for retest next year, I am a 45 year old male always happy.

Comment from: C John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

My PSA test result is 5.4. I have no other symptoms or pain.

Comment from: len, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 21

PSA total is 6.97 and free PSA is 3.85.

Comment from: kavitha, Male (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My uncle aged 62 years, while undergoing routine health checkup 3 weeks back, was found to have PSA 5.0 ng/ml. He is a hypertensive and borderline diabetic under regular medications.

Comment from: tc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

My PSA level is 6.29, free PSA is .06. The PSA level has risen from 3.7 to 6.29 in 12 months.

Comment from: Soccer, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I just had another PSA test with result (post radiation) of .6, which I interpret as good.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I had a PSA level of 12 and doctor ordered an ultra sound with biopsy.

Comment from: bgraboys, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

The results of my PSA test are, free PSA 1.1 ng/ml, PSA 3.8 ng/ml, and percentage of free PSA: 29.0. No bacteria found. All other factors in urine are negative.

Comment from: RXREV, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

In 2013 my PSA was 5.5. Digital was negative. Biopsy found no cancer but inflammation. Late 2014 PSA is 6.9. Will retest in 3 months, if same will do MRI.

View the Prostate Cancer Slideshow Pictures