Patient Comments: Prostate Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your prostate cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gary, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I was diagnosed with stage 3, Gleason 9 (5 plus 4) prostate cancer. I had brachytherapy, 25 external beam radiation sessions and 18 months hormone deprivation. Initial PSA was 8.2 in 2010. Note: I ate 300 g tomato paste a day during radiation (I don't know if this had a positive effect on my treatment. It concentrates in cancerous prostate tissue, maybe more absorbent). It is now October 2015 and my last PSA was 0.04 ng/L.

Comment from: jeffs, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

My treatment for prostate cancer was HDR (high-dose rate) brachytherapy followed by 25 EBR (external beam radiation) doses in 5 weeks, as well as a hormone shot. I still have painful and frequent urination and hot flashes, but I just finished the EBR 2 days ago. I've had one ejaculation a couple of weeks ago, but really no desire or libido so far. Gleason score is 4 plus 3, PSA 4.64, and T1c, 1 of 12 positive. I just hope it all works out for the best and I still think I made the right choice.

View the Prostate Cancer Slideshow Pictures