Patient Comments: Prostate Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of prostate cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Brad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I had no physical symptoms at all. But my PSA began to rise a couple of years ago, from about 3.0 all the way up to 11.3. However, it was not in a directly upward rise, rather up then down, up again then down. First urologist thought "not cancer" but the second insisted on a biopsy. Biopsy showed one side had 95% cancer, the other side 30%, with a Gleason 10. Scans showed no metastases, but local involvement is likely. I'm just starting hormone treatment (lupron and casodex) and will start radiation (IMRT) in a couple of weeks.

Comment from: Clemphil, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My 85 year old father has been battling prostate cancer for a couple years now. He has gone through radiation and chemo treatments. We have been told the cancer has spread and his PSA is 1600. When he was doing the treatments they also had him on a number of meds from antidepressants to pain pills and many others. He was totally out of his mind and very abusive, wouldn't eat and they sent him home and we have been on Hospice for the last couple of months. Up until all the treatment and drugs, my father was very sharp and just last summer he was mowing his own 6.5 acres of grass. He is now bed ridden cannot support his own weight of 140 lbs. and he is 6' 3". Once we brought him home and stopped all the drugs he got his mind back and he started eating and getting better over all. Three times now he has been back to the hospital and into the same routine of being loaded up with drugs, losing his mind and then coming home. Just last week he started bleeding very bad through his catheter. The clots were so bad they plugged up his catheter and we ended up taking him back to the hospital. My wife has had a lot of bladder infections and this is what it looked like to us. The hospital put him on antibiotics and within hours the bleeding stopped which is how a bladder infection acts. They have kept him in the hospital and put him on pain killers and antidepressants again and they have given him blood transfusions of 4 pints. He has been in no pain at all, but they continue with the pain medications and he goes absolutely crazy. They have done no x rays, but the doctors say the bleeding is the cancer from the prostate.

Comment from: GeorgiaGirl, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 23

If you are diagnosed with prostate cancer, insist on the chest X-ray. My father had not smoked in more than 20 years when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. His doctors decided that the X-ray was not needed. Two years later, we found out he had stage 4 lung cancer. He had the lower lobe of his lung removed and underwent some radiation but never was strong enough for chemo. He only lived six months after the lung cancer diagnosis. Please don't let your loved one or yourself be in this position. The earlier cancer is diagnosed, the better your chances are of beating it! God bless you!

Comment from: Max, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I have absolutely no symptoms! I am 67 years old and my doctor always ordered an annual PSA. This year it showed up elevated for the first time. A subsequent biopsy revealed a Gleason 9 tumor confined to the prostate gland. I had a bone scan which showed no evidence of spreading, so apparently it was caught early. I was then placed on Lupron injections which dropped my PSA from 6.5 to 0.4. Next week I start on radiation therapy with the very latest equipment which uses photon radiation rather than x-ray and it has an extremely accurate aiming system. I can't remember what the equipment is called, but it is the very latest-and expensive, I'm told. I am a strong supporter of PSA screening because I believe with the aggressiveness of my cancer I would not have had any symptoms until it had already spread.

Comment from: natural bodybuilder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I was asymptomatic except for difficulty maintaining an erection which I perceived as symptomatic of age related dwindling testosterone levels. I urinated frequently but this was mostly due to my consumption of coffee( about 8-12 cups)during the day and beer(4 cans)at night. I was asymptomatic except for difficulty maintaining an erection which I perceived as symptomatic of age related dwindling testosterone levels. I urinated frequently but this was mostly due to my consumption of coffee (about 8-12 cups) during the day and beer (4 cans) at night. My PSA number jumped 1+ points from a 3 to over a 4. Upon getting a biopsy in 12 sites, 3 sites came up with a Gleason score of 6 and 1 site with a 7. I had my prostate totally removed by robotic surgery. One week after the operation the catheter was removed and within a few minutes I had fairly good bladder control. After one more week, it appears I have full bladder control. I will have another PSA test in about 3 weeks and see the doctor a week after that. I am 64 and I exercise very strenuously 8-10hrs/week with weight. I am a lifetime natural bodybuilder who last competed in September. I taught the biological sciences (including human anatomy and physiology) and chemistry for 38 years at the high school level and I have a Masters' degree in human nutrition. By the way, even 15 days after the operation I am still urinating roughly the same amount of urine as before the operation.

Comment from: rob49, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 67 year old male. I just got back my results and there is a little bit of cancer in prostate, with a Gleason score of 6 which they say is not bad, but PSA is over 10.

Comment from: CARLS COLON, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I go to urinate 3 or 4 times at night. My PSA is over 6 per cent. I did a prostate biology and result is negative. I am concerned about prostate cancer now.

Comment from: Chuck, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

My symptom of prostate cancer was difficulty urinating.

Comment from: just me sharing, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

My prostate cancer was caught during a biopsy. However, even with a biopsy, if there is not a cut with a cancer cell in it, you can still have cancer and not know it. This is a shame, and I think this is why so many men may die of prostate cancer. When the doctor asked if I wanted another biopsy, I said not for two years. I am lucky; I am in the three-to-five range and have chosen the newest radiation method.

Comment from: SoutheasternUS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I had no real noticeable symptoms, other than maybe getting up more than once to urinate at night when drinking Powerade. I was better able to retain water or even beer. PSA 3.52 10/05/2006, 4.83 8/23/2007, 5.21 8/31/2007, 8.69 11/4/2009. DRE on 12/6/2009 indicated need for biopsies that found cancer in 1 of 12 cores, Gleason 6, less than 10% of right lobe, and possible 1 left lobe core. Choice of radical open surgery performed on March 8, 2010. I am age 58, a non-smoker (tobacco). The pathology of removed prostate showed left lobe cells had advanced to cancerous. I am very satisfied with my treatment choice. Note gap in PSA test result dates from 8/31/2007 to 11/4/2009. The time for action was in 2007 and 2008 was skipped. I got lucky.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

There were no symptoms to show I had prostate cancer. During a colonoscopy, they found a lump, and the rest, as they say, is history. I was started with a radical prostatectomy, then hormone therapy, and then radiation therapy. On the Gleason score, I was 11 out of 12, and after surgery, they found 9 out of 10 in surrounding tissue. That was more than a year ago. I am cancer-free now, which is great, but I will still get my needle every three months.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I had absolutely no symptoms. The local hospital offered a PSA test and rectal exam for $10, and the doctor who did the rectal exam told me he felt abnormalities. He said I should have my regular doctor refer me to an oncologist. After the biopsy came back positive, I waited and tested again and then opted for removal. My initial PSA was 14 and now it is .02. In hindsight, I should have waited and tested as now I understand this cancer is slow in growing.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

The first symptom I noticed with my prostate cancer was changes in my urinary habits. I was having to go at night and not was unable to empty my bladder completely. I have a family history also, and that prompted me to get a PSA test and ultimately a biopsy that showed my Gleason # to be 6. I am currently going to the hospital to see if brachytherapy will be an option. I do not know yet if it is because I had breast cancer surgery, chemo and radiation treatments last year.

Published: June 09

Same as for enlarged prostate.

Comment from: Joe Lishman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

By my PSA count was 6.05 and on antibiotic treatment 1 month later was 6.75. Biopsy was done and I am told it must be removed asap. NO other symptoms. Doc did say biopsy also showed slight size increase. I do not feel any of the symptoms and am 61 years old and never smoked or drink and play golf 3 days a week walking each round and in good health. Need to go for operation in 3 days time.

Comment from: Michael Vee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I was 47 years old and had no symptoms at all. My Prostate wasn't enlarged; I had no problem with urination. It could not be detected by a rectal exam. My M.D. decided to do a PSA test because I was over 45 years old. My cancer was just about to leave my nerve endings and enter my bones. I was afraid and bewildered. They removed my Prostate, nerve endings and all on August 11, 1999; declared me cancer free in January of 2000. It was back by July of 2000 and I began radiation treatments. Today I am cancer free going on 11 years.

Comment from: raymond, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been suffering since I was 21 with swollen tubes to the testicles and excruciating testicle pain. I am now 48 every time I open my bowels the swelling and the pain gets too much because I have suffered so long I now have calcifications. Sperm discharges sometimes when I open my bowels I have had prostatic massages too many antibiotics biopsy bladder stretched and now I have fibro myalgia ostio arthritis depression gout high blood pressure and I am very fatigued most days seen too many. Doctors and I don't know what to do next.

Comment from: Habu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer but all of my check-ups were normal except my psa was a little above what is normal for me. My doctor sent me to a Urologist because I had just turned 60 and I'm African American. The Urologist decided to do a biopsy just to ease my concerns and found 4 out of 6 samples from the right are cancerous.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 20

My husband had a fairly low PSA and was referred to a urologist which proceeded to biopsy. The next morning he awoke with a raging fever, chills and general weakness. As soon as the doctors office opened we went in and he was immediately admitted to the hospital with what was determined, 2 days later, E-Coli bacteria. He was one of the few who get it. He took the required, strong antibiotic the day before, but not a thorough cleaning like you take with a colonoscopy. He certainly doesn't plan to do that again, unless his PSA REALLY increases.

Published: June 14

I've been suffering from pains in the groin area as well as a very painful stabbing pain between my testicles and my bum. Also I need to urinate a dozen times a day (min) as well as needing to move my bowels on average 6/8 times a day. On top of this I also suffer from pains in my lower abdominal and lower back. Had tests to show a lump on my prostate which was said to be unknown.

Comment from: jnurse68, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 23

My dad is 74 he had symptoms in 2003 and opted for surgery. In 2009 the symptoms returned with lower back pain and numbness in the leg. A CT scan and MRI revealed advanced prostate cancer. He is on pain meds for his back and hormone therapy I don't even know if it works. He has been in the hospital for a month and just wants to go home.

Comment from: Moke, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

In 2006 my PSA was 1.3 in 2007 it was up to 3.6 in December of 2008 it went up to 19. Early in 2009 I had my prostate remove 3 months after surgery my PSA was 19. It is now Dec.3 2009 and I am not being treated. I am on the watch and wait program. My last PSA score taken 2 months ago my PSA was 29. Bone scans, cat scans show no cancer yet. My doctor says he will not let my PSA score get above 60 and he will start treatment. I am 61 years old and I have never have any of the warning signals of prostate cancer it was found during a routine physical.

Comment from: dunion, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I had been having my PSA tested for approximately 10 years and it always read 1.4. When I reached age 64 it read 2.2 and I was told it was normal. At age 65 it read 3.4 and the doctor's nurse called and said my reading was normal. Concerned about the PSA increasing, I called the doctors office and requested to speak with the doctor. When he called me back I asked about the PSA increasing and he decided to send me to a surgeon. The surgeon did a digit exam which was much more thorough than the previous doctor and he could feel a very small lump. A subsequent biopsy proved it to be cancer.

Comment from: copernicus, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

My symptoms were pains in the pelvic region which included what I believe to be spasms. Finally a urologist did an ultrasound with biopsy and found that I had that slow growing kind of cancer where you're supposed to die from something else before it gets you. Nevertheless, I decided on Brach therapy. Still have some pains, but not as wide spread as they used to be. Apparently something else is going on.

Comment from: Bud, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

My prostate cancer spread to my liver, lymph nodes of the aorta, spine, pelvis, shoulders, arm, leg and skull.

Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

The first signs I experienced, with prostate cancer, was the typical frequent urination especially at night. The real eye opener was the burning and urinary urgency when I drank anything that contained alcohol. Within 10 minutes of drinking a beer I had pretty intense burning which actually felt like it was in the lower bladder. This was always followed by urinary urgency.

Comment from: DG, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband would go soft during sex and not be able to finish and would not be able to ejaculate. He had 'no problems' with urinating. I have never seen this symptom mentioned so when I kept bugging him to go to the doctor cancer was not on my mind. I thought maybe male menopause. His PSA had gone from a 3 to a 6 since his last physical. He is an otherwise health 59 yr old.

Comment from: hdg777, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

My prostate cancer symptoms were a consistent PSA of around 3.0 to 3.4. over a couple of years. Plus, even though it was not directly related to the cancer, my one dosage per day of Flomax was not working anymore.

Comment from: Dave, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have prostate cancer and have had one hormone shot. A cat scan will be followed by radiation treatment for 6 weeks. What can be done to reduce the "hot flashes" I experience?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter