Signs and symptoms include
- slowed growth, with below-average height and weight,
- narrowed face,
- small lower jaw,
- thin lips,
- beaked nose, and
- head size disproportionately large for the face.
Other associated signs and symptoms can include
- prominent eyes and incomplete closure of the eyelids;
- hair loss, including eyelashes and eyebrows;
- thinning, spotty, wrinkled skin;
- visible veins; and a
- high-pitched voice.
Cause of progeria
A mutation in the gene that codes for a protein known as lamin-A causes progeria. Instead of being inherited from the parents, the genetic mutation occurs as a new mutation in every affected person.
Other progeria symptoms and signs
- Beaked Nose
- Hair Loss, Including Eyelashes and Eyebrows
- Head Size Disproportionately Large for the Face
- High-Pitched Voice
- Narrowed Face
- Prominent Eyes and Incomplete Closure of the Eyelids
- Slowed Growth, With Below-Average Height and Weight
- Small Lower Jaw
- Thin Lips
- Thinning, Spotty, and Wrinkled Skin
- Visible Veins
Main Article on Progeria Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Family Health History: Genetics, DNA Testing and Your Health
WebMD explains why your doctor asks about your relatives' health conditions and how you can get the information if you don’t know.
Genetics: 11 Surprising Things Your Genes Say About You
Explore what role DNA plays in your health, love life, and more in this WebMD slideshow.