When sleepiness interferes with daily routines and activities, or reduces the ability to function, it is called "problem sleepiness." A person can have problem sleepiness without realizing it. Symptoms of problem sleepiness include: consistently don't get enough sleep, or poor quality sleep, fall asleep while driving, struggle to stay awake when inactive (like watching TV or reading), have difficulty paying attention or concentrating at work, school, or home, have poor performance problems at work or school, have difficulty remembering things, have slowed responses, have difficulty controlling your emotions, and/or if you have to take naps on most days. Read more: Problem Sleepiness Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
25 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual cramps happen when prostaglandins force the uterus to contract. Dysmenorrhea, or period pain, may be relieved by...
Top 13 Ways to Tame Eye Allergies
Eye allergies, or allergic conjunctivitis, cause itchy eyes and other allergic symptoms. Avoiding allergens and using medicated...
Women’s Health: 13 Hormone Imbalance Symptoms and Signs
Hormone imbalance involves changes in estrogen, progesterone, and other hormone levels. Hormonal imbalance may cause symptoms...
Sleep: What Are the Best Sleeping Positions?
What is the best sleep position? Do you dream of sleep that does not aggravate back pain, neck pain, snoring, arthritis, or sleep...
What Are HIV & AIDS? Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention
HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS. Learn about HIV positive, being HIV...
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
What is Ankylosing spondylitis (AS)? Ankylosing spondylitis is arthritis of the spine. It causes symptoms like stiffness and...
Related Disease Conditions
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
12 Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms, Stages, Causes, and Life Expectancy
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Restless Leg Syndrome (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medications, Home Remedies)
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants)
Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Sleepwalking (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Sleep Related Breathing Disorders
Sleep-related breathing disorders are characterized by disruptions of normal breathing patterns that only occur during sleep....
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Hypersomnia is a condition where a person has excessive daytime sleepiness and trouble staying awake during the day. Treatment...
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) is a sleep disorder characterized by rhythmic movements of the limbs during sleep. The...
Snoring (Causes, Aids, Remedies, Solutions)
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Sleep paralysis is a condition that causes a person to feel as if he or she is awake but is unable to move. Lack of sleep, sleep...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Sore Throat Home Remedies
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
7 Alzheimer's Disease Stages and Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's disease depend on the stage of the disease. Some doctors and researchers disagree in regard...
Lewy Body Dementia (Dementia with Lewy Bodies)
Lewy body dementia (LBD or dementia with Lewy bodies) is one the most common causes of dementia. There are two types of LBD: 1)...
Local ResourcesFind a local Sleep Specialist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- TV Not a Good Sleep Aid for Young Kids
- LED Blue Light Poses Eye, Sleep Risks: Report
- AHA News: The Often-Overlooked Connection Between Sleep Troubles and Stroke
- FDA Puts Tough Warning Label on Ambien, Lunesta, Other Sleep Aids
- Work Stress, Poor Sleep, High Blood Pressure a Deadly Trio
- Common Sleep Myths Endanger Public Health
- Half-Dose of Mountain Sickness Med Works as Well as Full Dose
- Health Tip: Managing Insomnia
- AHA News: Irregular Sleep Could Impact Your Heart Health
- An Afternoon Nap May Lower Your Blood Pressure
- Beware of Drowsy Driving as Daylight Saving Time Begins
- Do Long Doctor Shifts Hurt Patients? Study Says No
- 6 Years: How Long New Parents Can Expect to Lose Sleep
- Sleep Apnea May Be Linked With Alzheimer's Marker
- Sleeping In on Weekends May Not Repay Your Sleep 'Debt'
- Evening Exercise Won't Wreck Your Sleep
- Insomnia May Be in Your Genes
- Your Valentine May Bring You Better Sleep
- What Makes Seniors Feel in Control?
- Cutting Calories Can Boost Your Sex Life and Your Sleep
- Health Tip: Recognize Signs of Sleep Deficiency
- Almost All U.S. Teens Falling Short on Sleep, Exercise
- Why Sleepless Nights Can Mean More Painful Days
- 'Rock-a-Bye' You, for Better Sleep?
- Health Tip: How Much Sleep Does Your Child Need?
- Disrupted Sleep Plagues Hospital Patients, But New Program Might Help
- Simple Treatments to Banish Winter Blues
- Why Your Heart Needs a Good Night's Sleep
- Sleep Patterns May Offer Clues to Alzheimer's
- Catching Up on News About Catch-Up Sleep
- Will Cutting Out Booze for 'Dry January' Help Your Health?
- Stress Keeps 1 in 3 Americans Up at Night
- Sleepless Night Could Make Morning Pastries Tougher to Resist
- Healthy Sleep Habits for Kids Pay Off
- Sleep, Don't Cram, Before Finals for Better Grades
- Health Tip: Improve Your Sleep Habits
- Too Much Sleep May Bring Higher Risk of Heart Disease, Death: Study
- Health Tip: What Causes Memory Loss?
- Working More, But Getting Less Done?
- After a Spouse's Death, Sleep Woes Up Health Risks
- A Slam Dunk: Late-Night Tweets Harm NBA Players' Performance
- Sleepy Drivers Involved in 100,000 Crashes a Year
- Early Birds May Have Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Naps Don't Help Down Syndrome Kids Learn: Study
- Here's Something to Sleep On
- Mental Health Problems Increase With Global Warming: Study
- Brain Scans Suggest Pain of Fibromyalgia Isn't Imaginary
- How Much He Sleeps May Affect His Stroke Risk
- Scientists Developing Blood Test for Drowsy Driving
- Heart Defects, Sleep Apnea a Deadly Mix for Infants
- Regular Bedtime Might Be Key to Better Health
- Parents Blame Smartphones, Tablets for Teens' Sleep Troubles
- Daytime Drowsiness a Sign of Alzheimer's?
- 1 in 4 Seniors Who Take Xanax, Valium Use Them Long Term
- Sleep Apnea Often Missed in Black Americans
- For a Healthier Heart, Stick to 6 to 8 Hours of Sleep
- Here's How Sleepless Nights Can Trigger Weight Gain
- Is a Haywire Body Clock Tied to Mood Disorders?
- Sleep Deprivation May Play Role in 'Global Loneliness Epidemic'
- Health Tip: Fight Frequent Fatigue
- Dim the Lights to Help Your Child Fall Asleep
- The Right Lighting Can Calm Alzheimer's Patients
- Focus on Just One Sport Risks Burnout for Teens
- Sound Advice for a Sound Sleep
- Health Tip: Suggestions For a Better Night's Sleep
- Sleepless Nights Haunt 1 in 4 Americans
- Wind Turbines' Health Impact Still Up in the Air
- Why NFL Teams Play Better at Night
- Who Lives Longer -- Night Owls or Early Birds?
- Even When You Think You're Not Sleepy, Your Car Crash Risk Rises
- Sleepless Nights Show Ties To Alzheimer's Risk
- Health Tip: Speak With Your Doctor if You Aren't Sleeping Well
- Help for When You're Wide-Eyed at 3 a.m.
- Poor College Grades? Maybe Your Class Schedule Is to Blame
- Health Tip: Find the Best Places to Nap
- Health Tip: Risk Factors For Insomnia
- Keep a Spring in Your Step With Sunday's Time Change
- Health Tip: When Noise Interrupts Sleep
- Skipping CPAP May Mean Return to the Hospital for Apnea Patients
- Tackling Menopausal Sleep Problems From Other Angles
- Sleepy Drivers May Be Causing More Crashes Than Thought
- Health Tip: Sleep Better
- Health Tip: Taking Fewer Naps
- Health Tip: Plan for Better Sleep
- Could You Be Overdoing It With Sleeping Pills?
- Health Tip: Music May Help You Sleep
- 1 in 3 Seniors Take Sleep Aids
- Sleep Deprivation a Serious Threat to Health: Expert
- TV Binge-Watching May Leave You Like 'The Walking Dead'
- How to Nod Off Behind the Wheel
- Health Tip: Make Sleep a Priority
- New Clues to Sleeping Sickness
- Sleep Troubles, Heart Troubles?
- Health Tip: When it Takes Too Long to Fall Asleep
- Sleep Apnea Might Raise Pneumonia Risk: Study
- Poor Sleep in Gulf War Vets May Be Tied to Brain Changes
- Insomniacs' Brains May Work Differently
- Health Tip: Enjoy a Nap
- Bathroom Visits May Add to Sleep Problems for Seniors
- Health Tip: Excessively Sleepy?
- Police Officers Often Robbed of Sleep
- Good and Bad Health Habits in U.S.
- Treating Non-motor Symptoms of Parkinson's