Probiotics, or friendly or good bacteria, are live microorganisms that can be used as complementary and alternative medicine to treat illnesses such as vaginal infections, tooth decay, H. pylori infection, irritable bowel syndrome, infectious diarrhea, and inflammatory bowel diseases like ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.Read more: Probiotics Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Digestive Health: 10 Probiotic Foods That Help Digestion
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria and yeasts found in probiotic foods and fermented products like kimchi, kombucha, and kefir....
Related Disease Conditions
Yeast Infection (in Women and Men)
Vaginal yeast infections in women are caused by an organism called Candida albicans. Symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection...
Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition with signs and symptoms of vaginal discharge, vaginal odor, and vaginal...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease)
Most people with diverticulosis have few if any symptoms at all. When people do experience signs and symptoms of diverticulosis...
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
An ulcerative colitis diet plan can help a person with the disease avoid foods and drinks that trigger flares. There also are...
Why Am I So Bloated and Gassy?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori) Infection
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach,...
E. coli (0157:H7) (Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention)
There are many types of E. coli (Escherichia coli). E. coli can cause urinary tract and bladder infections, or lead to sepsis. E...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating,...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Crohn's Disease (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease, primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can affect...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)
Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium, and is one of the most common causes of infection of the colon. C. difficile...
Is H. pylori Contagious? Symptoms and Tests
H. pylori (Helicobacter pylori) infection: Is it contagious? H. pylori infection is caused by fecal contamination in either food...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Is E. coli Contagious? (Symptoms and Cure)
E. coli is an infection found worldwide. There are several subtypes of the E. coli species. E. coli is transmitted from...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
Second Source article from Government...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Travelers' diarrhea is generally contracted by eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Food is the primary...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Colic in Babies
Colic is crying or fussing that begins suddenly, lasting for a total of three hours a day and happening more than three days a...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Learn more about cavities including symptoms, treatment, and prevention. See how tooth decay, plaque, and bacteria contribute to...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Asparagus: A Tasty Spring Veggie That Boosts Gut Health
- 4 Superfoods to Put on Your Menu Today
- Fungi in Breast Milk? These Kinds Are Good for Baby
- Could Germs in Your Gut Send You Into Depression?
- Gut Reaction: Immigration May Help Explain Expanding Waistlines
- Probiotics: Don't Believe the Hype?
- Jury Still Out on Probiotics
- It's Called Kombucha. But Is It Good for You?
- Health Tip: Understanding Probiotics
- Many Parents Don't Tell Doctor About 'Complementary' Therapy Use in Kids
- Probiotic Supplements Failed to Prevent Babies' Infections
- High-Intensity Exercise May Be Bad for the Bowels
- Could Fermented Foods Boost Your Health?
- Can Protein, Probiotics Help With Blood Sugar Control?
- Constipation, Kidney Disease May Be Linked, New Research Shows
- Americans Are Changing Their Supplements of Choice
- Gut Bacteria May Hold Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- DNA May Affect What Bugs Reside in Your Gut
- Study Ties Certain Mouth Germs to Pancreatic Cancer Risk
- Kombucha Tea/Alcohol: Is It Safe?
- Newborn Probiotic Use Tied to Lower Risk of Type 1 Diabetes
- Probiotics Don't Keep Bad Bugs at Bay in Critically Ill: Study
- Can What You Eat Affect Your Mental Health?
- Severe Burns May Trigger Dangerous Shifts in Gut Germs
- 'Gut Feelings': More Than Heartburn, Indigestion?
- Probiotic Supplements May Contain Traces of Gluten
- Probiotics May Ease Hay Fever Symptoms
- 'Good' Bacteria Might Fight Common Hospital Infection: Study
- Change in Gut Bacteria May Precede Type 1 Diabetes in Kids
- Yogurt Every Day May Help Keep Diabetes Away
- Probiotics Not Warranted for Seniors Taking Antibiotics: Study
- Skepticism Needed When Buying Foods Labeled 'Healthy': Expert
- Gene-Tweaked Tomatoes, Probiotics Aim to Lower Your Cholesterol
- Probiotics: Exploring the Gut-Mind Connection
- Gut Bugs Might Influence Child's Odds for Obesity
- Probiotics Reduce Antibiotic Diarrhea
- Report Looks at Best Diets, Easiest to Follow
- Some Doctors Warming Up to Probiotics
- Science Probes How Probiotic Yogurts Affect Your Gut
- Antibiotic Overuse May Be Bad for Body's Good Bacteria
- Do Probiotics Relieve Constipation in Children?
- Colic Remedies: Is TLC Better Than Herbal Tea?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter