Patient Comments: Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your premenstrual syndrome (PMS)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lou, 19-24 Female Published: August 31

About 10 days before my period starts I have all kinds of symptoms, bloating, nonstop crying, feeling sick, and getting angry. A friend told me about Angus Castus! I have started to take them this is the first month so far no bloating or mood swings, still feeling a tiny bit sick and frustrated at times but nowhere near as bad. Apparently it will take 3 months to notice a change but so far so good! :)

Comment from: Lizz, 13-18 Published: June 14

Since I started getting my period (11), I've always had a little worse set of mood swings and acne the 3-4 days before it started. And, as I've been getting older (18 now) I'm finding my mood swings to be almost hazardous to me and my family's health. In the span of 30 minutes, I got so mad I almost hit my grandmother with the stick for the vacuum, seriously contemplated running away from home, broke down into a crying fit, stopped crying to start yelling, cried some more, then started laughing. Not a good day. It's been good reading how other people deal with their problems. The only other female in my house is my grandmother who swears that when she grew up she was "not allowed" to have mood swings from PMS, so she claims she just didn't because her parents told her not to. I know it's a load of bull (my dad and grandfather both remember how bad her PMS used to be and tell me stories all the time), but it's not a really good example of how to handle them ("just don't get emotional" is really bad advice).

Comment from: Over.it, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My symptoms became extreme after my 3-year-old daughter was born. Two weeks to the day, I know my period is on its way. It's as if a light switch turns on, and here comes the monster! My family also walks on egg shells. I absolutely hate myself during those two weeks. I have tried different birth controls, and they just seem to make me worse. I just stopped taking Loestrin 24 a few days ago. I've been on estrogen patches, and that didn't work. Now I am on to the vitamins. I am going to try primrose also. I have done research and am considering the whole hormonal imbalance stuff thyroid and adrenal glands, but what is there to help after being diagnosed? This stinks! I'm over it. And I think my family is, too.

Comment from: Seonie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I went to a Naturopath out of shear frustration due to dealing with PMS symptoms every month (mood swings anger to tears, bloating, cramps, super sensitive, irrational, depression and extreme tiredness).He gave me Leugolds drops for an under active thyroid, rescue remedy drops, colostrums capsules and silica for my hair and nails. I didn't have to take them all every day, but I did for the first month and wow what a difference. I was and am on The Pill. Started on Levlen (awful for me), then Norinen (or something similar - no good) and onto Trifeme which was perfect for me but the NZ Govt have just taken it off the market!!!! I went back onto Levlen with disastrous results - instant mood swings, depression and fatigue, not to mention the headaches that put me to bed even with Ibuprofen every four hours for a week (that can't be good for your system!). Now I'm trialing Yaz and so far 'things' seem to have settled somewhat. Unfortunately for me, Yaz isn't Govt funded so costs $50 for three months but if I don't experience the abovementioned symptoms while on Yaz, it has to be worth it.

Comment from: AllBummedOut, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

To be honest, I don't think there is any guaranteed solution to PMS. I take Midol PMS Extra Strength for a few days before menstruating when I feel most irritable, and the result is a sort of numbness and overall "blah" feeling. I feel like my reactions are dull to say the least, and actually quite depressing because I'm a rather outgoing, loud, and in-your-face kind of person normally. It must also be noted that I am currently on birth control (Tricycline 28)and have been for eight years.

Comment from: carenna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I am frustrated that I have suffered for over 20 years with bad premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and there is no cure. How can this be! I am in pain at least 1 week per month with painful breasts, cramps that make me stay home for 2 days per month. This is life debilitating.

Comment from: kdkd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

What really makes my PMS much worse is the physical tiredness (traveling, over exercising). Then the madness is really bad and uncontrollable! Now I am trying to have a little dark chocolate now and then to keep my serotonin higher and seems like it helps a bit. Also regular exercises.

Comment from: Angeli, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 09

Since the age of 30, I started having a lot of problems before my menstruation. I've noted that it occurs 10 days before the period. One of the most difficult symptoms I get is dizziness and lack of concentration. I get angry easily. I prefer not talking a lot then or even have a social life. Others won't understand me. I do have headaches also.

Comment from: PMS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I m 35 yes old going to be 36 soon. I have this PMS symptoms since I was 17-18 hours old. So far don't have any solution but exercise does help little bit. I hate to have these PMS symptoms every month and since last 3 months I'm having my periods every 3 weeks instead of 4 weeks. It's really hard to deal with these symptoms since I'm in a public dealing job.

Comment from: Not Alone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

First of I should mention my symptoms...emotional, ridiculous irrational thoughts, bloating, cravings of caffeine, overeating, and of course good ol' acne. I have tried "the ring" which made me more depressed and emotional. I have tried antidepressant which just made me super tired. I don't do too well on birth control as the ones I have tried have given me more than one period a month and gosh, one is enough for me. I just have to say by reading other patients comments, I feel like I am not alone.

Comment from: pmssufferer, 45-54 Published: October 07

I wish there was a logical solution, because sometimes I fear I may not make it through the week prior to starting my period. My doctor put me on 5mg prozac for the week just prior to my period and am feeling some relief. But like the others I've read, the greatest relief is starting because then you know your good for at least 3 weeks. I wish I had a cure as I am 46 and have been dealing with this since 13 years of age. My mom said she knew there was a problem because my behavior changed drastically when my period started.

Comment from: Lika, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

It took some time for me to realize that I actually have PMS. First, I thought these were the consequences of the miscarriage I had. It is so exhausting. I am tired of myself, even though I know it is PMS and it is all in my head. I can't fight the depression, the constant fear, sudden panic attacks, sudden tears. My poor husband has so much patience. Sometimes I just lock myself in the room so as not to annoy people. I am only 26. I tried vitamins, which were not really helpful.

Comment from: aussielover03, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

My life was a cycle of mood swings and tears before I would get my period. I was one of the few women that would actually cry in relief when my period started because then the end was in sight. My family was walking on eggshells around me and unable to adapt to the two totally different women I was, depending on where I was in my cycle. I saw my doctor and she put me on Prozac. The difference is amazing. I still have mood swings, but now I can control them. They no longer control me! I have also started a low-salt diet and mild exercise program. They may or may not have helped. Each month is different, but with Prozac I am able to have a life again, all month long, not just two weeks of the month!

Comment from: LaLa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I just got of off taking Lexapro for anxiety because I felt strong enough to do so after at least 2 years on it. Wow - am I noticing what seems to be PMS symptoms. I get bouts of anxiety, depression and nausea. I'm glad others have posted their experiences. Thank you - it helps! I'm keeping a diary via an iPhone app and about ready to make an appointment with my doctor to verify that this is indeed what is going on. Look forward to all your comments/feedback.

Comment from: Mimi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have been feeling symptoms of pms since I was 14 years old, two weeks before my period, I changed, I can't focus on what I'm doing, cry a lot, and then laugh very hard that is helping me to manage my schedule, since I had my baby. I tried every pain medicine over the counter, now he is 3 years old, and what I'm doing to take control of pms, is try to exercise 3 or 5 days a week, now I just feel the symptoms of PMS 3 days before my period, so for those 3 days I have chocolates in my bedroom, ice cream in my freezer, and take hot bath before bed, ahhh also a heat pad helps me a lot and a hot chamomile tea, believe me I had tried everything.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am like a woman possessed for at least 10 days before my period. I regularly say I'm leaving home and at the time could just walk away from everyone. I will argue with anyone and really shouldn't drive a car! I've been prescibed a contraceptive pill but I put weight on with that (thus making me feel more upset). Antidepressants make me feel like a drugged up zombie, not quite firing on all four cylinders and people noticed as I'm very quick and always up for a laugh at other times. Just about to try evening primrose.

Comment from: spring, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have found that Yazmin has helped a lot but I have the side effect of lower sex drive. If you can deal with that there is no bloating, no anger, no waking up at three in the morning and you can be at peace the whole month long.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: June 09

Regular classes of hatha yoga and adding flaxseed oil, nuts, seeds and avocado to the diet 7-10 days before the cycle helps. Also a daily of small piece of organic dark chocolate too!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter