Patient Comments: Premature Ovarian Failure - Experience

Please describe your experience with premature ovarian failure. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SoccerChick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have night sweats, moodiness, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and no periods. I have trouble sleeping, brain fog, migraines and weird sex drive. Two years ago, I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure (POF), given a 10 percent chance of conceiving on my own, and told to take calcium for my bones all over the phone by the RE (reproductive endocrinologist) doctor. Devastated, I cried, I screamed, I denied, I grieved, I hurt, and finally I chose to not be my diagnosis. I chose not to let it define me, to break me, to make me feel like less, to make me hate my body, or to dream small. Instead, I chose to be the beautiful, spirited woman that I always was and meant to be. I took action. I walked in faith. I changed my diet. I managed my stress. I exercised. I tried holistic remedies before choosing HRT (hormone replacement therapy). It hasn't been an easy POF or TTC (trying to conceive) journey, but my husband has kept me sane. Although I may have night sweats from time to time, I am still loved, I am still valuable, and I still believe in miracles. I am not hopeless. I am hopeful.

Comment from: kfuentes, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I found out last year I had premature ovarian failure and was placed on the NuvaRing. One month in and I experienced a very brutal period were I bled through pads every 2 hours. I was switched to a birth control with low hormones and took it continuously for 3 months before having my first period. I had a lot of break through bleeding and after a night of just really heavy bleeding I was taken off the birth control. I was off my birth control for 6 weeks and experienced a natural period (which was very painful and heavy). I was placed on another birth control that made my thyroid medicine stop working and ultimately I was placed back on the first birth control I had been prescribed and told I'd have a withdrawal bleed each month. It has been a rollercoaster of getting the right hormone treatment in place.

Comment from: Pam, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My daughter is 19 and just found out she has premature ovarian failure (POF). Of course she really wants to have children.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter