Premature menopause is when menopause occurs in a woman before the age of 40. Causes of premature menopause include premature ovarian failure, treatments for cancer and other conditions, surgical removal of the ovaries, or chronic diseases of the pituitary or thyroid gland, or psychiatric disorders. Treatment is directed at menopausal symptoms.Read more: Premature Menopause (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Menopause Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
The Menopause Quiz challenges your knowledge about the time in a woman’s life when menstruation ceases. Menopause can bring many...
Menopause & Perimenopause: Symptoms, Signs
What is menopause? What are the signs of menopause? What age does menopause start? Learn about menopause and perimenopause...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
10 Ways to Deal With Menopause Symptoms
Menopause can cause night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings, and relationship challenges. Learn how to manage these symptoms here....
9 Signs of Perimenopause
Perimenopause occurs before menopause as estrogen levels begin to change. This can cause menopause like symptoms such as hot...
Related Disease Conditions
Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines,...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Night Sweats (In Men and Women) Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia)
Vulvodynia or vaginal pain, genital pain is a condition in which women have chronic vulvar pain with no known cause. There are...
Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)
Uterine fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors in the womb (uterus). Most uterine fibroids do not cause symptoms; however, if...
Perimenopause (Symptoms, Signs, Remedies, and Treatments)
Perimenopause is the time in a woman's life when she is approaching menopause. During this time a woman starts to develop...
Fibrocystic Breast Condition (Changes)
Fibrocystic breast condition (sometimes called fibrocystic breast disease) is characterized by lumpiness and usually pain,...
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Benign uterine growths are tissue enlargements of the female womb (uterus). Three types of benign uterine growths are uterine...
Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women)
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause,...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Male menopause refers to the decline in testosterone production in men. As men age, they often experience many of the same...
Sex and Menopause (What to Expect)
Menopause is often associated with a change in sexual functioning. Loss of estrogen, bladder control issues, anxiety, stress,...
Natural Remedies for Hot Flashes
Hot flashes are experienced by many women, especially at night. However, not all women undergoing menopause experience hot...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Reproductive health encompasses the beginning of menstruation for women, choosing the right birth control method for you and your...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- clonidine (Catapres, Catapres-TTS)
- estradiol, Alora, Climara, Delestrogen, Depo-Estradiol, Divigel, Elestrin, Estrace, and Others
- vitexagnus castus (Chaste Tree, Chaste Berry, Vitex, Monk's Pepper, Agnus Castus, Gattlier, Indian)
- paroxetine (Brisdelle)
- Didronel (etidronate)
- Reclast (zoledronic acid)
- Conjugated Estrogens (Cenestin, Enjuvia, Estrace, and Others)
- estropipate, Ogen
- flibanserin (Addyi)
Prevention & Wellness
- Poor Social Life Could Spell Trouble for Older Women's Bones
- Your Mom Plays a Role in Age at Menopause, Longevity
- Evenity Approved for Osteoporotic Women
- Fewer Periods May Mean Higher Dementia Risk
- Mindfulness Might Ease Menopause Symptoms
- Healthy Lifestyle Makes for a Healthy Heart During Menopause
- Health Tip: Why You May Have Adult Acne
- Health Tip: Manage Hot Flashes
- Scientists Get Closer to Origins of Hot Flashes
- Tackling Menopausal Sleep Problems From Other Angles
- Are Her Chocolate Cravings a Product of the Culture?
- Premature or Early Menopause More Likely in Women Without Kids: Study
- Early Menopause Linked to Higher Heart Disease, Death Risks
- Can Early Menopause Trigger Depression Later in Life?
- Premature Menopause May Affect Women's Brains
- Health Tip: When Early Menopause Strikes
- New Guidelines to Help Breast Cancer Survivors
- Factors Linked to Age of Onset of Menopause Identified
- Breast Cancer Before 50 Linked to More Distress