How Can I Reduce My Risk of Miscarriage?

Last Editorial Review: 1/11/2018

Ask the experts

in 1988 I had tubal reanastimosis. In 1989 I gave birth to a 10 lb 5 oz son. I have since divorced and remarried. I am now 35 and we are trying to conceive. My husband has two children from a previous marriage. Our last two pregnancies both miscarried prior to eight weeks. Getting pregnant doesn't seem to be a problem, but maintaining it is. What do we need to do next? Our insurance covers no fertility work. Please help.

Doctor's response

Your problem is not infertility but recurrent miscarriage and as such should be covered by your insurance company. You should seek out a doctor who is familiar with the work-up and evaluation of the couple with recurrent miscarriage and go in for an initial consultation so that you can fully understand the process and testing that will be required.

(The good news, is that even with two prior miscarriages, patients can still have an excellent chance of carrying the next pregnancy to term.)


Health Solutions From Our Sponsors