Patient Comments: Pregnancy - Signs

How did you find out you were pregnant? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ruth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I struggled with plantar warts for at least three years and tried a lot of different clinical and home remedies. Initially I saw progress with banana peel (which cured my daughter's warts in three nights but had less dramatic results for me), apple cider vinegar (staggering pain for two nights and then visible improvement but no final victory possibly because I stopped too early the first time; then, after years of other treatments, it wasn't enough to do the trick alone), salicylic acid products, supplements, multiple doctor visits (which left a wound I couldn't tamper with until it had healed up, by which point warts were back). My diet was healthy throughout, home-cooked food, lots of garlic, healthy greens, etc. In the end, this is what worked: I cut the dead skin off each night with a scalpel (best thing that came from those doctor visits), dab the area with oregano oil mixed with another gentler oil (canola works), and stick a cotton ball soaked with apple cider vinegar to the spot with a Band-Aid overnight. It took between two to three weeks of this, and then when I cut the dead skin off one night there was new skin underneath. I've been wart free ever since, but this will be the first thing I try, if I ever get another!

Comment from: Lola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Well, I had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago and they did a bladder surgery at that time to repair bladder prolapse. I am now 66 years and am miserable; any bending, straining yard work or just house work is uncomfortable! I am not a heavy person and have always been active and worked outdoors, lifting if needed. But now I cannot even do simple gardening tasks, I have lower back pain as well! I will try to go to a urogynocologist to seek help! Hope they can help because this is not fun. But worried about the surgery and mesh issues!

Comment from: Jonesy, 25-34 Female Published: October 25

I did not know I had a prolapse until I had a Pap smear and the doctor said I had a mild prolapse that did not need attention. I did though seek advice from a specialist and she told me just to do 100 pelvic floor exercises per day. This did not help and my prolapse worsened, within a month I could feel it. I requested an operation to fix it as I am an active healthy person; playing tennis and riding a bike. Within a day of the operation my buttocks were very sore and I have been told not to do anything for a few weeks. So please have a care as I have been told about a lady having 3 operations in 18 months. You must look after yourself. I will write again in a few weeks.

Comment from: Janae1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I found out I was pregnant because I was in the shower and while washing up I realized my breasts were tender. I instantly knew, after having 2 children, so I took a test that day and sure enough it came back positive.

Comment from: gleegirl23, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 16

I was walking on hot concrete while at the pool with my boyfriend and my left foot was burned. I now have a blister that has not gone away yet.

Comment from: TTC#3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

With my 1st pregnancy, I had a yeast infection and the doctor wanted to give me Diflucan. He asked if I was pregnant and I said I might be. I had unprotected sex 5 days before my visit, but ovulated 4 before. He ordered a blood test and said he'd call if it came back positive and in that case, I shouldn't take the medicine. Well, about 2 1/2 hours later, I got a call so I set up an appointment with an obstetrician/gynecologist and got on the Z-Pak instead. With my 2nd, I had cramping like I was going to start my period any minute, all kinds of different discharge, non-stop migraines that only ibuprofen helped, tender breasts. I didn't test until 3 days after my period was supposed to start because I had been charting with all the works and had sex 6 days before ovulation so I thought I was out that month. I still had the same obstetrician 6 years later. Now I'm having kidney infection type pain. My period is due in a week. I am going to my Urgent Care center tomorrow to see what's up now.

Comment from: herewegoagain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I found out I was pregnant because my boyfriend realized that I looked bigger than usual. Although I had previously given birth almost a year ago, he still insisted that my weight gain was abnormal. I did notice the shape of belly to be more round than flabby. All the time, I had been taking birth control pills and not really having a cycle since I've been on them almost a year. Needless to say, he brought home a test and it came out positive, all of them. Here we go again.

Comment from: Nobu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I went for my PAP smear and the sister attending to me did a scan first and asked me what type of abortion I was going to be doing. I was shocked and told her I wasn't pregnant. Then she insisted I take a pregnancy test, because she saw something on the scan which made her believe I was in my early pregnancy days, which came out negative. We continued with the PAP smear. Following month I found out I'm pregnant 7 weeks.

Comment from: hazelblondy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had my wisdom teeth out on October 24th and that night while I was still a little loopy I realized I had not started my period. I did a digital test and it said pregnant 2 to 3 weeks. I had taken one two days before and it was negative so this was a big shock for my husband and I but we are so excited to start our family. I am 26 and can't wait to be a mommy!

Comment from: neri, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

After I missed my period, I immediately got a pregnancy test and I was positive. Then 2 weeks after the test I went for scan (transvaginal ultrasound), gestational sac was seen 6 weeks but no embryonic pole was seen.

Comment from: dherbie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I never knew I was pregnant until I went for a test. Before then I was always dizzy, had constipation frequently, and my nipples were out.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I had not even missed my period yet. I went to the Dr. for a check up on this rash I had. And I was also having some pain during sex so the Dr. took a urine sample to rule out an infection I thought but when she came back she told me I was pregnant. Needless to say I was so shocked. I already have 4 kids and 37yrs old, I was done. I am now 24 weeks. And can't wait for my little girl to get here. I was very nervous because of my age, the blood test that they give you did show positive for down syndrome. I went ahead and took an amino and everything is fine. Thank God. I am so excited.

Comment from: Really?, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Still haven't been to the doctor, but will this week. I never paid attention to my periods, I am down one tube and my husband and I had never worried about having kids... for the last 10 years. We figured, if it happened it happened, if not... well, that's fine. I started to realize I was sleeping on my back all the time because it hurt to lay on my stomach (my fav. way to sleep), my breasts hurt just sitting in my bra, I have to pee all the time (Hubby always calls me a camel). I tried to think back to when my last period was, I couldn't remember. Except Dec. 24th was my last period, on a whim I wrote it down, mostly thinking "haha, I would have my period Christmas eve." I guess I'm 5 weeks now according to the calculators. Dr. should confirm later. 2 HPTs came back +. Must mean I'm expecting.

Comment from: Keri, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I found out I was pregnant when I was only two weeks pregnant! So even though I'm only three months now, it feels as if I've been pregnant for an eternity! I found out like most women do: I missed my period. (That's actually one thing I'm glad I got rid of for a while.) It's slow so far, but I'm sure as soon as I start showing it will fly by!

Comment from: sarahg, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was feeling really stressed and tired -- just not like myself. I took a cheap at-home pregnancy test. It came out negative. Two days later, I took another at-home pregnancy test, and it came out positive. I saw a doctor a week later and found out I was five weeks pregnant. This will be my first child.

Comment from: Melanie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I took an at-home pregnancy test, and it came back positive. Then later on that day, I went to the doctor and they did a blood test. It was also positive. I have had some light pink spotting since then. This will be my third child.

Comment from: maz12, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had all the early signs of pregnancy, I left it for a little. I could see my stomach swelling then I took a pregnancy test last night, a clear blue one. I'm not supposed to be on my period until the 29th. It has come back positive and 3-4 weeks! Four days before your period you can take that test. It's amazing!

Comment from: SicilianMomma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I started to feel extremely hot. The hot flashes would happen suddenly and leave just as quickly. My face also started to get very red. I had period like cramping 1 week before my period was due.

Comment from: francine, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I took a pregnancy test and it came out positive.

Comment from: threeputt, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

We broke a condom and wondered what if? Well, it took 6 weeks because I thought my spotting and what appeared to be a lighter period masked a missed period 4 weeks later. My breasts were itching and sensitive so I took a test! positive.

Comment from: PrettyMomCK, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I noticed my breast and nipples being sore for 4 weeks now and missed my period. So I took a pregnancy test. I was so shocked that it came out positive because I have polyps. But, I am so happy right now because I am pregnant. I hope it's a girl because my first one is a boy.

Comment from: babymomma, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My fiance and I tried to conceive for almost two years. We had started discussing adoption or traveling the world. It was an awful fact to face that it would just be the two of us. 10 weeks ago today I told him I felt like I might actually be pregnant. Didn't want to get his hopes up just for them to be crushed like the countless times before, but I felt strongly that something was different. I took a pregnancy test the next morning with the results. A very happy day for us.

Comment from: I'manewMum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had decided that I would move from one unit I was renting to one I had bought. I was rushing around and just keeping busy I had noticed that my periods stopped all of a sudden. The previous two were normal, which I thought was strange. I was also eating like a horse and for two (as it turned out). I went into town and took a HPT in the toilet, which came up positive. I went to the doctor's office a few weeks later to confirm it; two positive tests confirmed I was 20 weeks along. My son is now 3 years 8 months.

Comment from: Stephanie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I had just gotten off depo-provera and I had not had a menstral cycle in 5 years, but I was having many pregnancy symptoms. I had taken 3 home tests, my doctor took a urine test AND blood test, all test forms came back negative. For two months the symptoms went on, so my doctor sent a requisition for an ultrasound, I went and found out I was 10 weeks along already.

Comment from: bosslady88, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I was having extremely bad heartburn and so tired all the time. I've never had heartburn like that before. My friends a work asked if I was pregnant and I went home that night and took a pregnancy test and it was positive! This is my first pregnancy and my husband and I are super excited and nervous.

Comment from: Tiffany, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I've missed my period for the past two months. I've had vomiting and upset stomach. My breasts hurt and they've grown. My stomach has gotten huge. I have an increased sex drive and I cry for the smallest things sometimes. I took one test but it came up negative.

Comment from: dcl25c, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I went to an amusement park with my two sisters, like we do every year. For the first time ever, I got motion sickness while riding rides. I still felt sick a week later. I noticed my period wasn't as heavy as normal, and I was also very exhausted, barely able to stay awake to chase after my 18 month old wild son. I figured this was due to working two jobs and going to school full time. I went in for my yearly exam and my breasts were swollen and I told my doctor I thought I might have post-partum thyroid problems because I was so tired. Turns out, my urine sample tested positive for pregnancy. I had no clue, since my periods were normal. He sent me to a specialist and I was 13 weeks pregnant. Needless to say, I was in shock. I now have a beautiful baby girl and a handsome boy.

Comment from: maravelazquez, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I don't know how to explain it but I could feel it. I had a feeling inside I couldn't shake. I was hot a lot more often and then my brother walked into my apartment and had sprayed his deodorant and it wreaked (normally I was ok with it) I knew something was up so I went and bought a HPT and it was negative at first took one a week later and it came out positive. We are all excited.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: January 25

I am 33 I have fibromyalgia and arthritis so when I was beyond tired and weak I knew something was up. Also for four weeks my breasts were so sore. I took a test and had drank a lot of fluids my urine was clear but my positive still came through dr appt in a few days .This was a surprise my only child is going on 16.

Comment from: Centimeter, Female (Patient) Published: December 12

While my husband was in class one evening, I went to Wal-Mart to get hair dye and since I passed the home pregnancy tests, I picked one up on a whim. I had no reason to think I might be pregnant, I hadn't yet missed my period, I want experiencing any symptoms. I dyed my hair then took the test. When I saw the results, I texted my husband to see if he could get a picture text, because "I just saw something you might find interesting". We are 7 weeks along now with my first child, his fifth... And other than the now missed period, I still haven't had any real strong symptoms.

Comment from: Glenda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

We planned the pregnancy together with my partner so the 2nd day I realized I missed my period, bought a home pregnancy test and it came back positive. I was very happy I then went for a scan on the same day we couldn't see a thing. Blood test later confirmed the big new. It's my second child after 12 years.

Comment from: Mommysbaby, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Gained weight out of no where and then I missed my period for the first time and I'm 2 months pregnant.

Comment from: shania, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was waiting for my period at the end of the month it came but it was real light red and I was confused so I waited the next day to see how it was gone be and it was gone I'm like hold up I need to go to the doctor and when I went I took a urine test and it came back positive I was so happy they told me that I was 5 weeks pregnant and 2 days now I'm 5 months pregnant with my first child!!!!

Published: April 14

I was on birth-control evera patch from after my 2nd daughter was born. I was very regular about it. I don't know how I missed one patch. I missed my period I waited 1 week after that I went to the doctor. I found out that I am pregnant. This time I couldn't even think I was shocked. But thanks god everything is good now. I am 7 month pregnant now waiting for my baby.

Comment from: Mothergoose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I went to the doctor because I was experiencing discharge, and discussed with my doctor that I wanted to have my tubes tied, she said sure lets run some test including a pregnancy test and it came back positive, so long for the tube ligation for another 7 1/2 months, this will be my 3rd child. I'm not leaving the hospital unless my tubes are tied!!!

Comment from: xolile, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 3months pregnancy and pregnancy is not as I thought but sometimes it's hectic. I like food 2 much but the problem is that I'm vomiting and I hate boys for no reason. Even my boyfriend I miss him while he is out of my sight but when I'm with him I feel I can leave him.

Comment from: chelsea , 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I went to the family medical because I didn't get my menstrual period.

Comment from: Jenny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I recently had a miscarriage in late December when I was only six weeks pregnant. I am now 9 weeks pregnant with my second child.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter