Trending Pregnancy Topics
Watch this slideshow on the stages of pregnancy. See and learn what changes a woman's body goes through and view fetal images of how her baby grows during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
Related Disease Conditions
Childbirth Delivery Methods and Types
There are various childbirth delivery methods and types such as: The Lamaze Method The Bradley Method Water...
A common form of short stature, achondroplasia (dwarfism) is a genetic condition causing a disorder of bone growth. Complications...
Braxton Hicks Contractions (False Labor)
Braxton hicks contractions are also known as false labor pains. Though these irregular uterine contractions may occur in the...
Braxton Hicks vs. True Labor Contractions (Differences and Similarities)
Many pregnant women often mistake Braxton Hicks contractions (false labor) for real labor contractions, especially if is your...
Breastfeeding: Common Breastfeeding Challenges
Breastfeeding an infant can cause common challenges both for the mother an infant. Some challenges include sore nipples, low milk...
Campomelic dysplasia is a rare inherited condition that may be life threatening. The condition affects the skeleton and...
Care Before and During Pregnancy--Prenatal Care
Second Source article from Government...
Conjoined twins are identical twins. In both types of twins, the embryo is supposed to separate during the first two weeks after...
Doula vs. Midwife (Differences between Care, Costs, & Duties)
A midwife and doula are not the same thing. A doula's job is to provide non-medical, emotional, and personal support to a...
Labor Symptoms (Early Signs)
Every woman's experience with labor and delivery is unique for each woman, and thus "Normal" labor varies from woman to woman....
Ectopic Pregnancy (Tubal Pregnancy)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
Embryo vs. Fetus (Differences between Stages Week by Week)
The embryonic stage of pregnancy occurs from the moment of conception until the 11th week pregnancy, or first trimester....
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)
Consuming alcohol during pregnancy may cause fetal alcohol syndrome, a group of conditions associated with mental, growth, and...
Fetal Movement: Feeling Baby Kick Week-by-Week
Pregnancy can be one of the most joyous time in a couples life. Learn what your baby's first movements may feel like week by...
Learning how to avoid gestational diabetes is possible and maintaining a healthy weight and diet before and during pregnancy can...
Hypothyroidism During Pregnancy
Hypothyroidism during pregnancy can be treated with synthetic thyroid hormones to maintain the proper thyroid hormone balance....
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
PMS vs. Pregnancy (Differences and Similarities)
Many women have difficulty figuring out if they are pregnant, have PMS, or are about to start their period. The most common signs...
Pregnancy (Week by Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Pregnancy and Gestational Diabetes
Gestational diabetes is a form of diabetes that can occur during pregnancy. Pregnant women with gestational diabetes have not had...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Pregnancy and Drugs (Prescription and OTC)
Taking prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs or supplements should be discussed with your doctor. There are some...
Preeclampsia (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension)
Preeclampsia is related to increased blood pressure and protein in the mother's urine. Preeclampsia typically begins after the...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Bleeding During Pregnancy (First Trimester)
Bleeding during pregnancy is never normal. Causes of bleeding during the first trimester of a pregnancy may be caused by...
Pain Relief Options for Childbirth
Women experience and tolerate pain differently. For some pregnant women, focused breathing is all they need to get through labor...
Placenta previa is a condition during pregnancy when the placenta lies low in the uterus either partly or completely blocking the...
Preeclampsia and Eclampsia
Preeclampsia is a condition in pregnant women marked by high blood pressure and a high level of protein in the urine. Eclampsia...
Pregnancy: Swine Flu and the H1N1 Vaccine
Pregnant and women who are breastfeeding are encouraged to receive the seasonal flu shot as well as the 2009 H1N1 influenza...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Shingles and Pregnancy
Becoming infected with chickenpox during pregnancy could cause birth defects in your unborn child. Likewise, shingles could also...
Smoking During Pregnancy
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage or stillbirth, low birth weight or premature birth, and more....
Stillbirth (Stillborn Baby)
About 1% of pregnancies overall result in stillbirth, meaning that there are about 24,000 stillborn births each year in the U.S....
Trisomy 18, also known as Edwards syndrome, is a rare genetic disorder that causes severe birth defects in newborns. Signs and...
Getting Pregnant (Tips for Trying to Conceive)
Trying to get conceive, or become pregnant can be challenging, frustrating, and an emotional rollercoaster for some couples. A...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Conception: The Amazing Journey from Egg to Embryo
Learn about conception and the beginning stages of fetal development. See microscope images of human egg and sperm, as well as...
Early Signs & Symptoms of Pregnancy
Read about early signs and symptoms of pregnancy such as nausea and vomiting (morning sickness), bloating, tender breasts, and...
Am I Pregnant? Test Your Early Pregnancy IQ
What are early pregnancy symptoms? In some women, symptoms range from a missed period to feeling lightheaded. Others may...
Prenatal Workout: Safe Exercises for Pregnant Women
Pregnancy workouts explained. Discover the best safe pregnancy exercises for your workout. Exercise during pregnancy is an...
Fetal Development Stages: Month by Month Embryo Pictures
Take a peek inside the womb to see the stages of fetal development. Learn how embryos develop and grow during pregnancy. See...
Picture of First Trimester (12 Weeks)
The Baby at 12 Weeks. The nerves and muscles begin to work together. See a picture of First Trimester (12 Weeks) and learn more...
Picture of First Trimester (4 Weeks)
The Baby at 4 Weeks. Your baby's brain and spinal cord have begun to form. See a picture of First Trimester (4 Weeks) and learn...
Picture of First Trimester (8 Weeks)
The Baby at 8 Weeks. All major organs and external body structures have begun to form. See a picture of First Trimester (8 Weeks)...
Infertility Quiz: Test Your IQ of Infertility
What is the medical definition of infertility? Take the Infertility Quiz to learn the risks and treatment of infertility. Our...
Infertility: Types, Treatments, and Costs
Learn about infertility symptoms and types of treatment such as IVF, acupuncture, and natural methods to get pregnant. Read about...
Boost Your Fertility: Ovulation Calculator, Pregnancy Planning and More
Boost fertility and increase your chances to conceive. Learn about ovulation calendars, diet, aging and other factors that can...
Pregnancy: Multiple Births, Twins, Triplets, and More
Multiple births occur when a woman bears twins, triplets, or even more babies during pregnancy. More multiples are born today...
Pregnancy Myths and Facts Quiz: Test Your Pregnancy IQ
Being pregnant is a delicate time for both mother and baby. Take this quiz to separate the myths and facts about being pregnant,...
Picture of Second Trimester (16 Weeks)
The Baby at 16 Weeks. Muscle tissue and bone continue to form, creating a more complete skeleton. See a picture of Second...
Picture of Second Trimester (20 Weeks)
The Baby at 20 Weeks. Your baby is more active. See a picture of Second Trimester (20 Weeks) and learn more about the health...
Picture of Second Trimester (24 Weeks)
The Baby at 24 Weeks. Bone marrow begins to make blood cells. See a picture of Second Trimester (24 Weeks) and learn more about...
Stages of Pregnancy: Week by Week
See pictures on the various stages of pregnancy. See and learn what changes a woman's body goes through and view fetal images of...
Picture of Third Trimester (32 Weeks)
The Baby at 32 Weeks. Your baby's bones are fully formed, but still soft. See a picture of Third Trimester (32 Weeks) and learn...
Picture of Third Trimester (36 Weeks)
The Baby at 36 Weeks. The protective waxy coating called vernix gets thicker. See a picture of Third Trimester (36 Weeks) and...
Picture of Third Trimester (37-40 Weeks)
The Baby at 37 to 40 Weeks. By the end of 37 weeks, your baby is considered full term. See a picture of Third Trimester (37-40...
Picture of Tubal Pregnancy
A pregnancy that is not in the usual place within the uterus but is located in the Fallopian tube. See a picture of Tubal...
What Not to Eat When Pregnant Pictures: Alcohol, Fish, Fruit Juice, Sushi
Do you know which common foods may be risky during pregnancy? Learn which foods to avoid, while pregnant, such as queso dip,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- C-Section (Cesarean Birth)
- Childbirth Class Options
- Labor and Delivery
- Pregnancy Flu Shot Side Effects and Safety
- Pregnancy Test
- Pregnancy: Birthing, Breastfeeding, and Parenting Classes
- Pregnancy: Prenatal Care and Tests
- Prenatal Ultrasound
- Quad Marker Screening Test
- Pregnancy: 7 Common Third Trimester Tests
- Acupuncture for Infertility
- Anemia During Pregnancy
- Can I Take Eltroxin while I'm Pregnant?
- Does Stress Cause Miscarriage?
- Can We Eat Potatoes During Pregnancy?
- How Do You Know if You Are Pregnant?
- Is It a Boy or Girl? 6 Myths!
- Kidney Infections During Pregnancy
- Low Blood Pressure During Pregnancy
- Ovulation Date Calculator
- Paxil & Pregnancy, Possibilty of Birth Defect
- Pregnancy Due Date Calculator
- Pregnancy Planning and Lifestyle Changes
- 12 Common Pregnancy Cravings to Avoid
- Shingles During Pregnancy
- Trisomy 18 Testing
- What Are Blood Type and Rh Tests?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- AHA News: Could 'Cardio-Obstetrics' Curb Rise in Pregnancy-Related Deaths?
- 'Panic Parenting' Fear Drives Many Women to Freeze Eggs
- 1 in 9 U.S. Women Drink During Pregnancy, and Numbers Are Rising
- 6 Years: How Long New Parents Can Expect to Lose Sleep
- A Change of Address During Early Pregnancy May Not Be Best for Baby
- AHA News: A Mineral, a Metal and a Deadly Pregnancy Condition
- About 1 in 1,000 Babies Born 'Intersex,' Study Finds
- After Chinese Infant Gene-Editing Scandal, U.S. Health Officials Join Call for a Ban
- Anemia During Pregnancy Tied to Higher Odds for Autism, ADHD in Kids
- Routine Use of Antibiotics May Help After Complicated Vaginal Birth: Study
- Antidepressants Might Raise Odds for Serious Pregnancy Complication
- Anxiety Meds Like Valium, Xanax Could Raise Miscarriage Risk
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects States' Appeal Over Medicaid Funding for Planned Parenthood
- Autism Risk: Mom's Health May Matter More Than Meds
- Baby Boom or Baby Bust? What Nation-by-Nation Population Trends Reveal
- Baby Created With 3 People's DNA Born in Greece
- Blood From Previously Pregnant Women Is Safe for Donation: Study
- C-Section Delivery Might Alter Newborn's 'Microbiome'
- C-Section Infection Risk Higher for Moms on Medicaid: Study
- Could Exercise in Pregnancy Boost Baby's Health, Too?
- Can Pregnancy Put a Damper on Your Career?
- AHA News: Cigarette Smoke in Pregnancy May Impair Healing of Newborns' Hearts
- Climate Change Could Bring More Infant Heart Defects: Study
- Climate Change Could Alter Proportion of Male/Female Babies: Study
- Common Supplement Ingredient Could Harm Fetus, FDA Warns
- More Complication Risks With C-Section Than Vaginal Delivery
- 'Exceeding Expectations': Conjoined Twins Happy, Healthy After Separation Surgery
- Cost of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: $23,000 Annually Per Case
- Could a Little Pot Smoking Actually Raise Men's Fertility?
- Counseling Can Prevent Pregnancy-Related Depression: Task Force
- Trying to Conceive? Both Dad and Mom Should Give Up Drinking in Months Before
- Dad's Age May Play Role in Pregnancy Outcomes
- Docs Should Screen for Depression During, After Pregnancy
- Does Being a Preemie Doom Your Love Life?
- Drug Overdoses, Suicide Are Risk for New Mothers: Study
- AHA News: Early Pregnancy May Be a Prime Time to Promote Heart Health
- Go Easy on Caffeine During Pregnancy, for the Sake of Your Baby's Liver
- Eating Nuts During Pregnancy May Benefit Baby's Brain: Study
- Even a Little Drinking While Pregnant Ups Miscarriage Odds: Study
- Family Planning Clinics Given Longer to Comply With New Abortion Rule
- Faulty Sperm May Explain Recurring Miscarriages
- Female Anatomy May Play Big Role in Sperm's Success
- Fertility Treatment Tied to Deadly Heart Problem in Pregnancy: Study
- Fertility Treatments Tied to Higher Odds for Pregnancy Complications
- Fertility Treatments Don't Raise Cancer Risk for Offspring
- Fetal Kicks May Help Babies Understand Their Bodies
- Few Days of Formula Feeding After Delivery Won't Harm Breastfed Babies
- Few Pregnant Women Get Right Amount of Nutrients
- Fewer Pregnant U.S. Women Smoke or Drink, But More Are Using Pot
- In a U.S. First, Baby Is Delivered From Womb Transplanted From Deceased Donor
- Flu Shots Don't Cause Miscarriages: Study
- Flu Vaccine Safe During Pregnancy
- Frequent Male Pot Use Linked to Early Miscarriages
- Fungi in Breast Milk? These Kinds Are Good for Baby
- Fussy Baby May Raise Mom's Risk of Depression
- Gender Pay Gap Significant Among Infertility Doctors
- Georgia Governor Signs Early Abortion Ban
- Guidelines for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Legacy of Gulf War Deployment: Higher Risk of Minor Birth Defects
- Study Points to Harms From MRI 'Dye' in Early Pregnancy
- AHA News: How to Have a Heart-Healthy Pregnancy Before You Even Conceive
- Health Tip: Infertility 101
- Health Tip: Manage Morning Sickness
- Health Tip: Pregnancy and Amusement Park Rides
- Health Tip: Raise Your Chances of Having a Baby
- Health Tip: What to Expect While Breastfeeding
- Herbals in Pregnancy May Endanger Mom, Baby
- High-Fiber Diets Might Shield Against a Common Pregnancy Complication
- How Chinese Gene-Editing Could Backfire: Babies Might Have Shorter Lives
- How Do Birth Defects Affect Childhood Cancer Risk?
- How Does Sunshine During Pregnancy Affect Learning?
- How Safe is Vaginal Delivery After a Cesarean Birth?
- How Soon Should You Conceive After a Stillbirth?
- How to Stay Close as a Couple Now That Baby Is Here
- Infant Pain Heightened After Opioid Exposure in Womb
- Could Fluoride Be Bad for Your Baby During Pregnancy?
- Is That Medication Safe When Breastfeeding?
- Is There a Right Time for Sex After Childbirth?
- Is There a Safer Choice Than Opioids After a C-Section?
- IVF Won't Cause Birth Complications: Study
- Kratom Use in Pregnancy Spurs Withdrawal Symptoms in Newborns
- High Lead Levels in Pregnancy Linked to Obesity in Kids Years Later
- Low Birth Weight Babies a Worldwide Problem
- Many Smokers Switch to Vaping While Pregnant, But Safety Issues Remain
- Many U.S. Women Get Opioids After Giving Birth
- Mediterranean Diet Has Big Benefits for Expectant Moms: Study
- Meth, Opioid Use in Pregnancy on the Rise
- Mom's Prenatal Fish Oil Might Help Kids' Blood Pressure Later
- Mom-to-Be's Flu Can Harm Her Unborn Baby
- Moms' Weight-Loss Surgery Tied to Lower Risk of Birth Defects
- More Lawsuits Launched Over Loss of Frozen Eggs, Embryos
- More Women Using Pot During Pregnancy, Despite Potential Harms to Baby
- New Link Between Mom-to-Be's Diet, Child's ADHD
- New Moms Can Save a Life By Donating Cord Blood
- Newborn Heart Problems Surged After Fukushima Nuke Disaster: Study
- No Link Between Mom-to-Be's Diet, Baby's Allergy Risk
- Obamacare Helped More Women Access Care Before Pregnancy: Study
- Older Dads' Sperm Isn't What It Used to Be
- Only a Third of Pregnant Women Getting Vaccinations They Need
- Opioid Danger to Newborns Varies By Region
- Opioid Use in Pregnancy Tied to Severe Birth Defects
- Opioids Increasingly Tied to Deaths of Pregnant Women
- Opioids Exact Another Toll on Newborns: Smaller Heads
- Postpartum Opioid Rx May Lead to Persistent Use: Study
- Pot During Pregnancy May Raise Child's Psychosis Risk
- Pot Use During Early Pregnancy on the Rise
- Pregnancy Complications Down for Women With Lupus
- AHA News: First-Time Pregnancy Complications Could Mean High Blood Pressure Later
- AHA News: Pregnancy May Raise Risk of Deadliest Type of Stroke
- Pregnancy Much More Likely for Teen Girls With ADHD
- Pregnancy Weight Gain: What's Right for You?
- Pregnancy-Related Deaths Still Higher With Some Minorities
- AHA News: Air Pollution Means Pregnant Women Can't Breathe Easy
- Pregnant Women Exposed to More Risky CT Scans
- Pregnant Women Should Delay Gallbladder Surgery, Study Finds
- Pregnant Women Who Work at Night Face Miscarriage Risk
- Pregnant? The Earlier You Quit Smoking, the Better
- Prenatal Opioid Exposure Could Bring Long-Term Harm to Kids
- Prenatal Vitamins Might Lower Risk of Second Child With Autism
- Processed Foods in Pregnancy May Be Tied to Autism
- Pumped Breast Milk Falls Short of Breastfed Version
- Quieter NICUs a Good Rx for Premature Babies
- Rare Set of 'Semi-Identical' Twins Identified in Australia
- Another Reason Breast Is Best for Fragile Preemie Babies
- Returning to Intimacy After Childbirth
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Depression After Pregnancy
- Health Tip: Risks of Drinking Alcohol During Pregnancy
- Scans, Ultrasound Spot Zika Brain Defects
- Screen Every Pregnant Woman for Hep B: Task Force
- Seafood Offers Vital Nutrient for Expectant Moms and Babies
- Severe Morning Sickness Tied to Autism Risk in Kids
- Sleep Position Unlikely to Affect Baby's Health in Pregnancy, Study Finds
- Even Slightly Elevated Blood Pressure Early in Pregnancy a Bad Sign
- Smog Could Land Newborns in Intensive Care
- Study Finds Smog Particles Can Reach Developing Fetus
- Links Between Smog, 2nd Pregnancies and Preterm Birth
- Smoking Around Expectant Moms Can Harm Babies' Hearts
- Smoking While Pregnant Sends SIDS Risk Soaring
- Some Types of Epilepsy Pose More Risks During Pregnancy
- Some Women Still Getting Pregnant While on Acne Drug Tied to Birth Defects
- Sperm DNA Damage May Lead to Repeat Miscarriages: Study
- Sperm Retrieved From Brain Dead West Point Cadet
- Sperm Seems to Survive Just Fine in Space, Study Shows
- Spike in High Blood Pressure for Pregnant Women: What It Means for You
- Most States Restrict Pregnant Women's Advance Directives: Study
- 40-Year Study Sees Steady Rise in Pregnant Women's Blood Pressure
- Stillbirth Risk Rises With Prolonged Pregnancies
- Stress in Pregnancy May Affect Baby's Sex, Preterm Delivery Risk: Study
- Stress Takes Toll in Very Complicated Births
- Study Disputes Pregnancy Link to MS Relapses
- AHA News: Summer Heat Brings Special Health Risks for Pregnant Women
- The Surprising Lead Cause of Death for Pregnant Women
- Take at Least a Year Between Pregnancies: Study
- Testicular Cancer Treatment Unlikely to Trigger Birth Defects
- The Benefits of Strength Training During Pregnancy
- Three Clues to Raised Risk of Miscarriage
- Twins Are Becoming Less Common in U.S., for Good Reasons
- Two Factors at Birth Can Boost a Child's Obesity Risk
- U.S. Fertility Rate At All-Time Low
- Use of Common Epilepsy Drug in Pregnancy Tied to ADHD in Kids
- Uterus 'Scratching' Technique Won't Boost Fertility Treatment Success
- Vaginal Ring That Targets Pregnancy, HIV Seems Safe: Study
- What Couples Considering IVF Need to Know
- When Baby Makes Four
- WIC Changes Improve Moms' and Babies' Health
- Wide Variation Seen in Pelvic Shapes: Study
- Woman With 2 Wombs Has Twins 26 Days After Birth of First Child
- Women Doctors Say They're Penalized for Motherhood
- World's First Baby Born From Deceased Donor's Transplanted Uterus
- World's Oldest Stored Semen Successfully Used to Breed Sheep
- Common Yeast Infection Treatment Tied to Miscarriage, Birth Defects
- Zika's Damage Continues in Children Infected Before Birth