Trending Pregnancy Topics
Watch this slideshow on the stages of pregnancy. See and learn what changes a woman's body goes through and view fetal images of how her baby grows during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
Related Disease Conditions
Childbirth Delivery Methods and Types
There are various childbirth delivery methods and types such as: The Lamaze Method The Bradley Method Water...
A common form of short stature, achondroplasia (dwarfism) is a genetic condition causing a disorder of bone growth. Complications...
Braxton Hicks Contractions (False Labor)
Braxton hicks contractions are also known as false labor pains. Though these irregular uterine contractions may occur in the...
Braxton Hicks vs. True Labor Contractions (Differences and Similarities)
Many pregnant women often mistake Braxton Hicks contractions (false labor) for real labor contractions, especially if is your...
Breastfeeding: Common Breastfeeding Challenges
Breastfeeding an infant can cause common challenges both for the mother an infant. Some challenges include sore nipples, low milk...
Campomelic dysplasia is a rare inherited condition that may be life threatening. The condition affects the skeleton and...
Care Before and During Pregnancy--Prenatal Care
Second Source article from Government...
Conjoined twins are identical twins. In both types of twins, the embryo is supposed to separate during the first two weeks after...
Doula vs. Midwife (Differences between Care, Costs, & Duties)
A midwife and doula are not the same thing. A doula's job is to provide non-medical, emotional, and personal support to a...
Labor Symptoms (Early Signs)
Every woman's experience with labor and delivery is unique for each woman, and thus "Normal" labor varies from woman to woman....
Ectopic Pregnancy (Tubal Pregnancy)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
Embryo vs. Fetus (Differences between Stages Week by Week)
The embryonic stage of pregnancy occurs from the moment of conception until the 11th week pregnancy, or first trimester....
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)
Consuming alcohol during pregnancy may cause fetal alcohol syndrome, a group of conditions associated with mental, growth, and...
Fetal Movement: Feeling Baby Kick Week-by-Week
Pregnancy can be one of the most joyous time in a couples life. Learn what your baby's first movements may feel like week by...
Gestational diabetes is a condition that is first recognized during pregnancy and is characterized by high blood sugar....
Hypothyroidism during Pregnancy
Hypothyroidism during pregnancy can be treated with synthetic thyroid hormones to maintain the proper thyroid hormone balance....
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
PMS vs. Pregnancy (Differences and Similarities)
Many women have difficulty figuring out if they are pregnant, have PMS, or are about to start their period. The most common signs...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Pregnancy and Gestational Diabetes
Gestational diabetes is a form of diabetes that can occur during pregnancy. Pregnant women with gestational diabetes have not had...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Pregnancy and Drugs (Prescription and OTC)
Taking prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs or supplements should be discussed with your doctor. There are some...
Preeclampsia (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension)
Preeclampsia is related to increased blood pressure and protein in the mother's urine. Preeclampsia typically begins after the...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Bleeding During Pregnancy (First Trimester)
Bleeding during pregnancy is never normal. Causes of bleeding during the first trimester of a pregnancy may be caused by...
Pain Relief Options for Childbirth
Women experience and tolerate pain differently. For some pregnant women, focused breathing is all they need to get through labor...
Placenta previa is a condition during pregnancy when the placenta lies low in the uterus either partly or completely blocking the...
Preeclampsia and Eclampsia
Preeclampsia is a condition in pregnant women marked by high blood pressure and a high level of protein in the urine. Eclampsia...
Pregnancy: Swine Flu and the H1N1 Vaccine
Pregnant and women who are breastfeeding are encouraged to receive the seasonal flu shot as well as the 2009 H1N1 influenza...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Shingles and Pregnancy
Becoming infected with chickenpox during pregnancy could cause birth defects in your unborn child. Likewise, shingles could also...
Smoking During Pregnancy
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage or stillbirth, low birth weight or premature birth, and more....
Trisomy 18, also known as Edwards syndrome, is a rare genetic disorder that causes severe birth defects in newborns. Signs and...
Getting Pregnant (Tips for Trying to Conceive)
Trying to get conceive, or become pregnant can be challenging, frustrating, and an emotional rollercoaster for some couples. A...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Conception: The Amazing Journey from Egg to Embryo
Learn about conception and the beginning stages of fetal development. See microscope images of human egg and sperm, as well as...
Early Signs & Symptoms of Pregnancy
Read about early signs and symptoms of pregnancy such as nausea and vomiting (morning sickness), bloating, tender breasts, and...
Am I Pregnant? Test Your Early Pregnancy IQ
What are early pregnancy symptoms? In some women, symptoms range from a missed period to feeling lightheaded. Others may...
Prenatal Workout: Safe Exercises for Pregnant Women
Pregnancy workouts explained. Discover the best safe pregnancy exercises for your workout. Exercise during pregnancy is an...
Fetal Development Stages: Month by Month Embryo Pictures
Take a peek inside the womb to see the stages of fetal development. Learn how embryos develop and grow during pregnancy. See...
Picture of First Trimester (12 Weeks)
The Baby at 12 Weeks. The nerves and muscles begin to work together. See a picture of First Trimester (12 Weeks) and learn more...
Picture of First Trimester (4 Weeks)
The Baby at 4 Weeks. Your baby's brain and spinal cord have begun to form. See a picture of First Trimester (4 Weeks) and learn...
Picture of First Trimester (8 Weeks)
The Baby at 8 Weeks. All major organs and external body structures have begun to form. See a picture of First Trimester (8 Weeks)...
Infertility Quiz: Test Your IQ of Infertility
What is the medical definition of infertility? Take the Infertility Quiz to learn the risks and treatment of infertility. Our...
Infertility: Types, Treatments, and Costs
Learn about infertility symptoms and types of treatment such as IVF, acupuncture, and natural methods to get pregnant. Read about...
Boost Your Fertility: Ovulation Calculator, Pregnancy Planning and More
Boost fertility and increase your chances to conceive. Learn about ovulation calendars, diet, aging and other factors that can...
Pregnancy: Multiple Births, Twins, Triplets, and More
Multiple births occur when a woman bears twins, triplets, or even more babies during pregnancy. More multiples are born today...
Pregnancy Myths and Facts Quiz: Test Your Pregnancy IQ
Being pregnant is a delicate time for both mother and baby. Take this quiz to separate the myths and facts about being pregnant,...
Picture of Second Trimester (16 Weeks)
The Baby at 16 Weeks. Muscle tissue and bone continue to form, creating a more complete skeleton. See a picture of Second...
Picture of Second Trimester (20 Weeks)
The Baby at 20 Weeks. Your baby is more active. See a picture of Second Trimester (20 Weeks) and learn more about the health...
Picture of Second Trimester (24 Weeks)
The Baby at 24 Weeks. Bone marrow begins to make blood cells. See a picture of Second Trimester (24 Weeks) and learn more about...
Stages of Pregnancy: Week by Week
See pictures on the various stages of pregnancy. See and learn what changes a woman's body goes through and view fetal images of...
Picture of Third Trimester (32 Weeks)
The Baby at 32 Weeks. Your baby's bones are fully formed, but still soft. See a picture of Third Trimester (32 Weeks) and learn...
Picture of Third Trimester (36 Weeks)
The Baby at 36 Weeks. The protective waxy coating called vernix gets thicker. See a picture of Third Trimester (36 Weeks) and...
Picture of Third Trimester (37-40 Weeks)
The Baby at 37 to 40 Weeks. By the end of 37 weeks, your baby is considered full term. See a picture of Third Trimester (37-40...
Picture of Tubal Pregnancy
A pregnancy that is not in the usual place within the uterus but is located in the Fallopian tube. See a picture of Tubal...
What Not to Eat When Pregnant Pictures: Alcohol, Fish, Fruit Juice, Sushi
Do you know which common foods may be risky during pregnancy? Learn which foods to avoid, while pregnant, such as queso dip,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- C-Section (Cesarean Birth)
- Childbirth Class Options
- Labor and Delivery
- Pregnancy Flu Shot Side Effects and Safety
- Pregnancy Test
- Pregnancy: Birthing, Breastfeeding, and Parenting Classes
- Pregnancy: Prenatal Care and Tests
- Prenatal Ultrasound
- Quad Marker Screening Test
- Pregnancy: 7 Common Third Trimester Tests
- Acupuncture for Infertility
- Anemia During Pregnancy
- Can I Take Eltroxin while I'm Pregnant?
- Does Stress Cause Miscarriage?
- Can We Eat Potatoes During Pregnancy?
- How Do You Know if You Are Pregnant?
- Is It a Boy or Girl? 6 Myths!
- Kidney Infections During Pregnancy
- Low Blood Pressure During Pregnancy
- Paxil & Pregnancy, Possibilty of Birth Defect
- Pregnancy Planning and Lifestyle Changes
- 12 Common Pregnancy Cravings to Avoid
- Shingles During Pregnancy
- Trisomy 18 Testing
- What Are Blood Type and Rh Tests?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- AHA News: Could 'Cardio-Obstetrics' Curb Rise in Pregnancy-Related Deaths?
- 'Panic Parenting' Fear Drives Many Women to Freeze Eggs
- 2-Drug Combo Could Help Some Women Through Miscarriage
- 6 Years: How Long New Parents Can Expect to Lose Sleep
- After Chinese Infant Gene-Editing Scandal, U.S. Health Officials Join Call for a Ban
- Air Pollutants Reach Placenta, Might Harm Fetus: Study
- Americans Say Editing Baby's Genes OK, Up to a Point: Poll
- Could Antidepressants During Pregnancy Slow a Child's Motor Skills?
- Common Antidepressants in Pregnancy May Alter Fetal Brain Development
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects States' Appeal Over Medicaid Funding for Planned Parenthood
- Arkansas Law Restricting Abortion Pills Remains on Hold
- As More U.S. Women Delay Childbirth, Multiple Births May Rise
- Autism Risk: Mom's Health May Matter More Than Meds
- Babies of Opioid-Addicted Moms May Struggle in School
- Baby Boom or Baby Bust? What Nation-by-Nation Population Trends Reveal
- Banned Pregnancy Drug Linked to ADHD Generations Later
- Bayer Stops U.S. Sale of Essure Birth Control Implant
- Big Decline in Births to Girls Under 15, CDC Says
- Birth Control Pills Recalled Over Potential Pregnancy Risk
- When Blood Sugar Rises in Pregnancy, Mom and Baby Pay the Price
- Blood Test in Early Pregnancy May Predict Mom's Diabetes Risk
- Blood Test Might Predict Preterm Birth
- For Breast-feeding Working Moms, Co-Workers' Support Is Key
- C-Section Rates Have Nearly Doubled Since 2000: Study
- Could Caffeine During Pregnancy Spur Weight Gain in Kids?
- Can Mom-to Be's' Weight Affect Daughters' Risk for Early Puberty?
- Climate Change Could Bring More Infant Heart Defects: Study
- Climate Change Could Alter Proportion of Male/Female Babies: Study
- Closing Fossil Fuel Plants Tied to Fewer Preterm Births
- More Risk of Complications If Vaginal Birth Follows Prior C-Section: Study
- Conception Tougher for Couples When Male Partner Is Depressed
- 'Exceeding Expectations': Conjoined Twins Happy, Healthy After Separation Surgery
- Cost of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: $23,000 Annually Per Case
- Could a Little Pot Smoking Actually Raise Men's Fertility?
- Could Early Birth Hinder Adult Success?
- Could Same-Sex Couples Have Babies With Shared DNA? Study Hints It's Possible
- Counseling Can Prevent Pregnancy-Related Depression: Task Force
- Dad's Age May Play Role in Pregnancy Outcomes
- Do Dimmer Days in Pregnancy Raise Postpartum Depression Risk?
- Dirty Air in Pregnancy May Raise Kid's Blood Pressure Risk
- Docs Should Screen for Depression During, After Pregnancy
- E-Cigarettes, Nicotine Patch During Pregnancy May Hike SIDS Risk
- Early Pushing in Childbirth Won't Hurt Mom or Baby, Study Finds
- Elective Labor Induction May Cut C-Section Risk
- Faulty Sperm May Explain Recurring Miscarriages
- Female Anatomy May Play Big Role in Sperm's Success
- Fertility Clinic Denies Legal Liability for Loss of Frozen Eggs and Embryos
- Fertility Treatments Tied to Higher Odds for Pregnancy Complications
- Fertility Treatments Don't Raise Cancer Risk for Offspring
- Fetal Exposure to Epilepsy Drug Tied to Lower School Grades Later
- Fetal Immune System May Trigger Premature Birth: Study
- Fetal Kicks May Help Babies Understand Their Bodies
- Few Women Who Freeze Eggs Use Them for a Pregnancy Later
- Fewer Pregnant U.S. Women Smoke or Drink, But More Are Using Pot
- First IVF Baby Louise Brown Turns 40
- Most First-Time Moms Say Labor Pains Were Manageable
- Could More Fish in the Diet Boost Sex Lives and Fertility?
- Fish Oil Pills During Pregnancy Might Mean Stronger, Healthier Kids
- Flu Shot in Pregnancy Lowers Risk of Flu Hospitalization
- Flu Shots Don't Cause Miscarriages: Study
- Did Folic Acid Supplementation in Foods Lead to Less Psychosis in Kids?
- Folic Acid Supplements in Pregnancy Help Kids of Women With Epilepsy
- Folic Acid Won't Curb Dangerous Pregnancy Complication
- Food for Thought: Keys to Fruitful Fertility
- Health Tip: Food Safety for Pregnant and Nursing Mothers
- Fungi in Breast Milk? These Kinds Are Good for Baby
- Get Fit to Cut Your Diabetes Risk During Pregnancy
- Guidelines for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Harms of Banned Pregnancy Drug Linger for Decades in Daughters
- Health Tip: Ease Pregnancy-Related Leg Cramps
- Health Tip: Getting Prenatal Tests
- Health Tip: If You're Pregnant and Have Diabetes
- Health Tip: Learn Risk Factors for Miscarriage
- Health Tip: Manage Morning Sickness
- Health Tip: Raise Your Chances of Having a Baby
- Health Tip: Recovering from Cesarean Section
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for an Ectopic Pregnancy
- Health Tip: Should You Eat Fish?
- Health Woes Hit 1 in 7 Babies Exposed to Zika in U.S. Territories
- Some HHS Funding for Pregnancy Prevention Program to Continue
- How Soon Should You Conceive After a Stillbirth?
- How to Stay Close as a Couple Now That Baby Is Here
- Human Error to Blame for Loss of Frozen Eggs/Embryos, Fertility Center Says
- Is Depression During Pregnancy on the Rise?
- Is There a Right Time for Sex After Childbirth?
- It's Men, Not Careers, That Drive Women to Freeze Their Eggs
- IVF Won't Cause Birth Complications: Study
- Know the Signs of Postpartum Depression
- Kratom Use in Pregnancy Spurs Withdrawal Symptoms in Newborns
- Large Rise Seen in Serious Birth Complications in U.S.
- Too Little Fish for Mom Linked to Higher Preemie Birth Risk
- Many Poor Women Miss Out on Folic Acid Supplements During Pregnancy
- Meth, Opioid Use in Pregnancy on the Rise
- Mississippi Bans Abortions After 15 Weeks' Gestation
- Mom's Diabetes May Be Tied to Baby's Autism Risk: Study
- Mom's Marijuana Winds Up in Breast Milk
- Mom's Prenatal Fish Oil Might Help Kids' Blood Pressure Later
- Mom-to-Be's Pot Use Tied to Changes in Baby's Size, Behavior
- Could Mom-to-Be's Antidepressants Have an Upside for Baby's Brain?
- Mom-to-Be's Flu Can Harm Her Unborn Baby
- Mom-to-Be's High-Gluten Diet Linked to Type 1 Diabetes in Baby
- Moms Who Smoked as Teens More Likely to Deliver Smaller Babies
- More Lawsuits Launched Over Loss of Frozen Eggs, Embryos
- More Pregnant Women Having Heart Attacks
- More Than 1 Day of First-Trimester Bleeding Ups Odds for Smaller Baby
- New Drug Could Save Many New Mothers and Babies: WHO
- Newborn Heart Problems Surged After Fukushima Nuke Disaster: Study
- No Evidence Acupuncture Boosts Fertility Treatment
- No Link Between Mom-to-Be's Diet, Baby's Allergy Risk
- No Proof Vitamin D Lowers Blood Pressure in Pregnancy: Study
- Number of Infants Born With Syphilis Reaches 20-Year High: CDC
- Obamacare Helped More Women Access Care Before Pregnancy: Study
- Obesity Could Set Stage for Heart Issues in Pregnancy
- Opioid Crisis Means More Newborns With Hepatitis C, But Few Get Tested
- Opioid Danger to Newborns Varies By Region
- Opioid Use in Pregnancy Tied to Severe Birth Defects
- Number of Opioid-Addicted Women Giving Birth Quadruples
- Opioids Increasingly Tied to Deaths of Pregnant Women
- Opioids Exact Another Toll on Newborns: Smaller Heads
- Overweight in Pregnancy? Here's How to Keep Excess Pounds at Bay
- New Blood Test Spots Parasitic Infection in Pregnant Women
- Postpartum Opioid Rx May Lead to Persistent Use: Study
- Mom's Pre-Pregnancy Waist Size Tied to Autism Risk
- Preeclampsia in Pregnancy Can Mean Heart Risks After
- Preeclampsia Tied to Tripling of Dementia in Later Life
- Pregnancy Complications Down for Women With Lupus
- Pregnancy Complications Tied to More Menopausal Hot Flashes
- AHA News: Pregnancy May Raise Risk of Deadliest Type of Stroke
- Pregnant Women Should Delay Gallbladder Surgery, Study Finds
- Prenatal Test Advance May Help Spot Serious Gene Mutations
- Prenatal Vitamin D Pills Won't Boost Babies' Growth: Study
- Prenatal Vitamins Might Lower Risk of Second Child With Autism
- Psychiatric Drug Lithium Tied to Birth Defect Risk
- Pumped Breast Milk Falls Short of Breastfed Version
- Push-Button Pain Meds Curb Need for Opioids After C-Section: Study
- Raised Blood Pressure Before Pregnancy Linked to Miscarriage
- Rare Set of 'Semi-Identical' Twins Identified in Australia
- Diet, Exercise Help Reduce Overweight Women's Pregnancy Weight Gain: Study
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Depression After Pregnancy
- Health Tip: Risks of Drinking Alcohol During Pregnancy
- Scans, Ultrasound Spot Zika Brain Defects
- Better Sleep During Pregnancy May Cut Odds of Preemie Birth
- Smoking While Pregnant Could Harm Child's Breathing
- Smoking While Pregnant Sends SIDS Risk Soaring
- Soda During Pregnancy May Not Help Baby's Brain
- Why Some 'Preemies' Grow Up to Have Weaker Hearts
- Some Types of Epilepsy Pose More Risks During Pregnancy
- Sperm Retrieved From Brain Dead West Point Cadet
- States Should Help Struggling Teen Moms, Poll Finds
- Stress Won't Undermine Fertility Treatment Success: Study
- Study Debunks Idea That Epilepsy Can Hamper Fertility
- Study Disputes Pregnancy Link to MS Relapses
- Study Finds Abortion Doesn't Lead to Depression
- Take at Least a Year Between Pregnancies: Study
- The Ideal Weight Makes for a Healthier Pregnancy
- Two Factors at Birth Can Boost a Child's Obesity Risk
- U.S. Birth Rates Continue to Drop as Age of New Moms Rises
- U.S. Fertility Rates Hit Record Low in 2017
- Use of Common Epilepsy Drug in Pregnancy Tied to ADHD in Kids
- Uterus 'Scratching' Technique Won't Boost Fertility Treatment Success
- Vaginal Ring That Targets Pregnancy, HIV Seems Safe: Study
- Vendors Say Pot Eases Morning Sickness. Will Baby Pay a Price?
- Vitamin D May Lower Miscarriage Risk
- Weight-Loss Surgery Linked to Fewer Delivery Complications
- Why Some Americans Seek Abortion Pills Online
- Wide Variation Seen in Pelvic Shapes: Study
- Woman Says Parents' Fertility Doctor Is Her Father
- Women Doctors Say They're Penalized for Motherhood
- Some Women Have Regrets After Freezing Eggs for Later Pregnancy
- Are More U.S. Women Using Pot to Ease Morning Sickness?
- Women Who Breastfeed Longer More Likely to Have More Kids
- Working Out After Baby
- World's First Baby Born From Deceased Donor's Transplanted Uterus
- Common Yeast Infection Treatment Tied to Miscarriage, Birth Defects
- Zika Dangers During Pregnancy May Be Worse Than Thought