Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a psychiatric condition, can develop after any catastrophic life event. Symptoms include nightmares, flashbacks, sweating, rapid heart rate, detachment, amnesia, sleep problems, irritability, and exaggerated startle response. Treatment may involve psychotherapy, group support, and medication. Read more: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Anxiety Disorder Pictures: Symptoms, Panic Attacks, and More with Pictures
Learn about generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). See if your worries are normal or something more by learning about symptoms,...
PTSD Quiz: Test your IQ of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Can you have PTSD even if you've never been to war? Take the Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Quiz to learn about PTSD, who gets it,...
Related Disease Conditions
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Dissociative Identity Disorder
Dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder or split personality disorder) is a mental...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Tension Headache (Symptoms, Relief, Causes, Treatment)
A tension headache s one of the most common types of headaches, and the exact cause is not known. Factors that may contribute to...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Grief: Loss of a Loved One
Grief is the feeling one experiences after a loss (of a friendship, death of loved one, job). Complicated grief refers to grief...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Sleepwalking (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Phobias are unrelenting fears of activities (social phobias), situations (agoraphobia), and specific items (arachnophobia). There...
There are many forms of sexual assault, including rape, attempted rape, child molestation, sexual intercourse that you say no to,...
Nightmares are dreams that cause high anxiety or terror. Nightmares may be a part of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- citalopram, Celexa
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- trazodone, Desyrel (discontinued brand)
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- Lexapro vs. Wellbutrin: Differences between Side Effects and Uses
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- lithium, Lithobid
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- prazosin (Minipress)
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- guanfacine (Intuniv, Tenex)
- zolpidem (Ambien, Ambien CR, Zolpimist, Edluar, [Tovalt ODT has been discontinued])
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- Buspar vs. Zoloft (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- nefazodone, Serzone
- Klonopin (clonazepam) vs. Xanax (alprazolam)
- paliperidone (Invega)
- blue-green algae (Cyanobacteria, Spirulina)
- tiagabine - oral, Gabitril
Prevention & Wellness
- PTSD May Raise Odds for Irregular Heartbeat
- Health Tip: Handle a Child's Traumatic Stress
- Can Just 5 Therapy Sessions Work for Those With PTSD?
- Cancer Survivors Can Develop PTSD, Too
- PTSD After Head Injury May Signal Brain Changes
- Risky Behavior Triggers Vicious Cycle for Vets With PTSD
- Trauma as a Teen May Boost Depression Risk Around Menopause
- Parents of Kids With Heart Defects Face PTSD Risk: Study
- Sleep May Help People Process Traumatic Events
- Turning to an Ancient Art to Help Ease PTSD in Veterans
- FDA Approves Large Studies of Ecstasy to Treat PTSD
- PTSD May Affect Boys, Girls Differently, Brain Scans Show
- Parents Often Miss Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in Kids
- Be Alert for PTSD After Pregnancy Loss
- Childhood PTSD May Leave Imprint on Brain
- Mindfulness Training May Ease PTSD
- PTSD May Stiffen Veterans' Arteries, Boosting Heart Risks
- Earthquake Survivors With PTSD Show Brain Differences
- Cyberbullying, Violence Linked to PTSD in Teens
- Wearable Electric Patch May Ease PTSD
- Small Study Sees Differences in Brains of Soldiers With PTSD
- Transcendental Meditation May Help Relieve PTSD
- Study Maps Areas of Brain Linked to PTSD
- Brain's Signaling Systems Might Determine PTSD Severity: Study
- Severe Combat Injuries Linked to Risk of Chronic Diseases
- Women Soldiers No More Likely to Develop PTSD, Study Finds
- Mindfulness Therapy Might Help Ease PTSD
- PTSD Symptoms Persist for Thousands of Vietnam Vets, Study Finds
- Plane Passengers' Near-Death Experience Gives Clues to Trauma's Effect on Brain
- Trauma, PTSD May Raise Women's Odds of Heart Attack, Stroke: Study
- Vets With PTSD Might Need Sleep Apnea Screening: Study
- Combat Deployment Just One Factor That May Cause Smoking
- Family Stress May Figure in Soldiers' Suicide Risk
- 'Killing Fields' Survivors Struggle With PTSD
- Parents of Young Stroke Victims at Risk for PTSD, Researchers Find
- 'Hidden' Brain Damage Seen in Vets With Blast Injuries: Study
- PTSD May Raise Women's Risk for Diabetes
- PTSD in Women Linked to Premature Birth
- U.S. Pledges Millions to Study Ways to Ease Soldiers' Pain
- PTSD Link to Food Addiction Seen in Report
- Research Shows Possible Neurological Patterns for PTSD Symptoms
- Muscle and Bone Injuries, Mental Disorders Plagued U.S. Iraq War Vets
- Too Little Known About PTSD Treatments for Veterans, Experts Say
- More U.S. Service Members in Treatment for Mental Health Disorders
- ICU Patients at Much Greater Risk for PTSD: Study
- Poor Sleep in Gulf War Vets May Be Tied to Brain Changes
- College Drinking May Aggravate PTSD Symptoms
- No Rise of PTSD Seen in Children With Cancer
- Brain Injuries Tied to PTSD in Marines
- Coverage of Boston Bombings Unnerved Many: Study
- Military Contractors Suffer High Rates of PTSD, Study Finds
- PTSD Might Lead to Sizable Weight Gain in Women
- Boston Bombing Triggered Flashbacks in Vets With PTSD, Study Finds
- Shopping Doesn't Help in Face of Trauma, Researchers Say
- Joint Alcohol-PTSD Treatment Appears Effective, Study Finds
- U.S. Troops' Suicide Risk Tied to Mental Illness, Not Combat: Study
- Sleep Apnea Treatment Eases Nightmares in Vets With PTSD: Study
- Depression Common in Those With PTSD, Study Finds
- PTSD After Heart Attack Linked to Poor Sleep
- Helping Children Make Sense of the Senseless
- Severely Injured Vets May Need Ongoing Emotional Care
- U.S. Must Step Up Response to Vets, Report Says
- Brain Changes Could Contribute to Gulf War Illness: Study
- Stress Disorder May Be Common Among ICU Patients on Ventilators
- 1 in 4 Breast Cancer Diagnoses May Spur PTSD
- Long Waits in the ER May Raise PTSD Risk for Heart Patients
- Most U.S. Soldiers May Suffer From Sleep Problems
- PTSD Can Hamper Drug Treatment for Stroke Survivors: Study
- Chronic Worry Linked to Higher Risk of PTSD
- Violence in a Soldier's Past May Up PTSD Risk
- Undiagnosed Eye Problems Plague Some U.S. Veterans
- Brain Anatomy May Play Role in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- For Many, 'Superstorm' Sandy Could Take Toll on Mental Health
- Melatonin May Improve Sleep for People on Blood-Pressure Meds
- Complementary Medicine May Help Soldiers With PTSD: Study
- Young Children Treated for Cancer May Be at Risk for PTSD: Study
- Vets' Readjustment Issues May Spur PTSD Treatment
- PTSD Treatment and Couple Therapy Go Hand in Hand
- 'Virtual' Patients New Addition to Psychiatry?
- Improve Care for Veterans With PTSD: Report
- PTSD Unrecognized Risk Among Heart Attack Patients
- Wartime Killing May Raise Veterans' Thoughts of Suicide
- Witnessing, Experiencing Traumatic Events May Worsen Heart Disease
- 911 Dispatchers May Suffer From Post-Traumatic Stress
- U.S. Army Suicides Rising Sharply, Study Finds
- Narcotic Painkillers Another Threat to Traumatized War Vets: Study
- National Guard Deployment May Sometimes Trigger Alcohol Abuse
- In Dollars Alone, Cost of U.S. Child Abuse High
- U.S. Military Women Exposed to More Combat Than Ever Before
- Sleep Might Help Deepen Traumatic Memories
- Health Highlights: Jan. 11, 2012
- In the Age of Email, the Good, Old Letter Still Holds Sway
- Millions of Americans Are Victims of Sexual Violence: CDC
- School Shooting Study Yields Genetic Links to PTSD
- Study: Antipsychotic Drug Does Not Help Veterans With PTSD
- Don't Fear the Dentist
- How Families Can Help Children Cope with Fear and Anxiety
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder FAQs
- Anxiety Disorder FAQs
- Anxiety Disorders Quiz
- Mental Disorders in America
- Anxiety and Cancer Patients
- Children's Mental Health Facts
- Estrogen Source of Stress
- Stress, Depression and Drug Abuse: Fallout of 9-11
- Talking with Children About the Terrorist Attacks
- Depression Screening
- Helping Your Child or Teen Cope with Trauma
- Stress: How To Manage Stress