Postpartum depression is more than just the "blues" after giving birth. The symptoms include
- feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness,
- problems bonding with the baby,
- sadness, and
- possible feelings of wanting to hurt oneself or the baby.
In the case of suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming the baby, postpartum depression is a medical emergency, and medical care should be accessed immediately. Early signs and symptoms of postpartum depression can begin any time in the year after the birth. Symptoms of postpartum depression last longer than the blues and may interfere with a woman's daily life and activities. Not all women with postpartum depression experience all of the symptoms, and the symptoms can vary among affected women. (For example, some affected women may sleep excessively while others report insomnia.)
Postpartum depression causes
It is unknown exactly why some women develop postpartum depression. A combination of genetic factors, hormonal changes, and environmental influences is likely involved.
Other postpartum depression symptoms and signs
- Concentration Problems
- Crying Spells
- Excessive Sleeping
- Feelings of Hopelessness
- Feelings of Loneliness
- Feelings of Worthlessness
- Inability to Feel Pleasure
- Loss of Appetite
- Loss of Interest in Daily Activities
- Mood Swings
- Panic Attacks
- Problems Bonding With the Baby
- Recurrent Thoughts of Death
- Reduced Pleasure or Interest in Activities
- Sleep Disturbances
- Social Withdrawal
- Suicidal Thoughts
- Thoughts of Harming the Baby
- Unwanted Thoughts
- Weight Gain or Loss
Main Article on Postpartum Depression Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
17 Everyday Ways to Ease Depression
The right exercise, diet, and activities -- even playing with a pet --can help you recover from depression. Learn simple...
Depression Myths: Overwork, Recklessness and More in Pictures
Folk remedies and half-truths still prevent many from getting treatment for depression. WebMD's pictures show unusual symptoms in...
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Depression Therapy: Myths, Facts, and More in Pictures
False ideas scare many depression suffers away from therapy and the quick relief and help these pros can provide. Let our experts...
Foods That Help Fight Depression
Foods that help fight depression include turkey, Brazil nuts, carrots, shellfish, coffee, leafy greens, salmon, milk, and...
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
Physical Symptoms of Depression in Pictures
Depression can cause physical problems such as insomnia, chest pain, fatigue, headaches, and more. Learn the signs of depression...
Postpartum Depression: Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Postpartum depression is a treatable medical illness which affects women after giving birth. Learn about the symptoms, diagnosis...
Examples of Medications for Postpartum Depression Symptoms and Signs
- Alprazolam (Xanax) vs. Temazepam (Restoril)
- fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly)
- Lexapro (escitalopram) Side Effects, Warnings, and Interactions
- Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide amitriptyline ds)
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- Side Effects of Lithobid (lithium)
- Side Effects of Pamelor (nortriptyline)
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- Zoloft (sertraline) Side Effects, Warnings, and Interactions