Postpartum depression is a form of depression that occurs within a year after delivery. It is thought that rapid hormone changes after childbirth may lead to depression. Symptoms of postpartum depression include crying a lot, headaches, chest pains, eating too little or too much, sleeping too little or too much, withdrawal from friends and family, and feeling irritable, sad, hopeless, worthless, guilty, and overwhelmed. Treatment typically involves talk therapy and medication. Read more: Postpartum Depression Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
12 Tips for Success with Antidepressants
Antidepressants like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) are medication...
Postpartum Depression: Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Postpartum depression is a treatable medical illness which affects women after giving birth. Learn about the symptoms, diagnosis...
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Hypothyroidism during Pregnancy
Hypothyroidism during pregnancy can be treated with synthetic thyroid hormones to maintain the proper thyroid hormone balance....
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Second Source article from WebMD...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Second Source article from Government...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is considered a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). PMDD has also been referred...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Shaken Baby Syndrome (Abusive Head Trauma)
Shaken baby syndrome, or abusive head trauma, is the condition that describes the symptoms and signs that result from the violent...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Pregnancy and Drugs (Prescription and OTC)
Taking prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs or supplements should be discussed with your doctor. There are some...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Loss of Appetite
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Poor Hygiene
- Unusual Behavior
- Inability to Regulate Emotions
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Postpartum Depression
- Postpartum Depression: Behind the Smile
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Cymbalta (duloxetine) vs. Effexor (XR, venlafaxine) Differences in Uses, Dose, and Withdrawal
- trazodone (Desyrel - discontinued brand)
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- citalopram, Celexa
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- valproic acid, divalproex, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Stavzor
- mirtazapine (Remeron, Soltab)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- clozapine (Clozaril, Fazacio ODT, Versacloz)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- doxepin (Sinequan and Adapin are discontinued brand in the US; Silenor)
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum)
- lithium, Lithobid
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- imipramine (Tofranil)
- desipramine, Norpramin
- clomipramine (Anafranil)
- nefazodone, Serzone
Prevention & Wellness
- FDA Approves Ketamine-Like Drug for Severe Depression
- Counseling Can Prevent Pregnancy-Related Depression: Task Force
- Postpartum Opioid Rx May Lead to Persistent Use: Study
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Depression After Pregnancy
- Docs Should Screen for Depression During, After Pregnancy
- Facebook Posts May Hint at Depression
- Do Dimmer Days in Pregnancy Raise Postpartum Depression Risk?
- Health Tip: Recovering from Cesarean Section
- New Dads Can Get the Baby Blues, Too
- Health Tip: Help a New Mom With Postpartum Depression
- Know the Signs of Postpartum Depression
- Never Ignore Depression
- 1 in 20 Younger Women Suffers Major Depression
- Summer Baby, Higher Odds for Postpartum Depression?
- Postpartum Depression Likely to Recur With Future Pregnancies
- More Fetal Deaths, Fewer Pregnancies When Flint Had High Lead Levels in Drinking Water: Study
- Suicide a Danger for Some Women During Pregnancy: Study
- 1 in 5 Moms Mum About Post-Pregnancy Blues
- U.S. Moms-to-Be Often Victims of Assault
- Happy Mom Means Less Colicky Baby
- Studies Question Link Between Mom's Antidepressant Use, Autism in Kids
- Can Supplements Ward Off the 'Baby Blues'?
- Health Highlights: March 7, 2017
- Hey Fellas, Depression Can Strike New Dads, Too
- Gestational Diabetes a Risk Factor for Postpartum Depression: Study
- Postpartum Depression Affects New Dads, Too
- Less Labor Pain, Lower Postpartum Depression Risk?
- Doctors Often Neglect Their Own Mental Health
- 5 Tips for New Moms
- 'Love Hormone' Levels in Pregnancy May Point to Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Women Who've Battled Postpartum Depression Often Limit Family Size
- Pregnancy May Ease PTSD for Some Women, Study Finds
- Military Deployment Tied to Greater Odds of Child Abuse, Neglect
- For Pregnant Military Wives, Risks Rise if Partner Deployed
- New Moms Gain No Benefit From Eating Placenta, Studies Show
- Risk to Baby From Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Is Small, Study Says
- Antidepressants Ease Postpartum Depression, Study Finds
- Do Antidepressants in Pregnancy Raise Risks for Mental Woes in Kids?
- Tips for New Moms on Mother's Day
- Young Dads at Risk of Depressive Symptoms, Study Finds
- Pfizer Recalls Some Antidepressants After Drug Mixup
- Pfizer Recalls Effexor Antidepressant
- Postpartum Depression Often Linked to Long-Term Woes, Review Suggests
- Antidepressants in Pregnancy Tied to Slight Risk of Lung Disorder in Babies
- Could Longer Maternity Leave Prevent Postpartum Depression?
- Depression During Pregnancy May Raise Risk of Psychiatric Trouble in Kids
- Health Tip: Battling The Post-Baby Blues
- Postpartum Depression Risk May Rise for New Moms in Big Cities
- Genes May Boost Woman's Risk of Postpartum Depression
- Anxiety May Be More Common Than Depression After Pregnancy
- Motherhood May Spur Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior in Some
- Married Women More Likely to Have Positive Pregnancies: Study
- Postpartum Depression May Lead to Shorter Kids: Study
- Brain Changes Seen in Postpartum Depression
- Health Tip: What to Expect After Childbirth
- 'Love Hormone' May Buffer Kids From Mom's Depression
- Low Oxytocin Linked to Postpartum Depression
- Depression After Miscarriage Can Linger
- Study: Fish Oil Doesn't Affect Postpartum Depression
- New Parents at Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Dads Get Postpartum Depression, Too
- Cataracts From Antidepressants?
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Postpartum Depression
- Health Tip: Symptoms of Postpartum Depression
- Predicting Postpartum Depression May Be Possible
- Moms Help Moms Duck Postpartum Depression
- 3 Questions Can Spot Possible Postpartum Depression
- Possible Cause of Postpartum Depression Pinpointed
- Postpartum Depression: How Common?
- Postpartum Depression Linked to Boys?