Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Postnasal drip is the accumulation of mucus in the back of the nose and throat, causing the sensation of secretions dripping downward through the back of the nose. Postnasal drip is a common finding with rhinitis, or inflammation of the airways within the nose. Accompanying symptoms can include
- sore throat,
- stuffy nose,
- runny nose,
- throat clearing,
- sneezing, and
- an itching feeling in the nose.
If sinus infection is also present, headache and facial tenderness can occur. Severe infections can be associated with fever and chills. Watery eyes, fatigue, poor sense of smell, and puffiness under the eyes can be other symptoms seen with postnasal drip.
Sheikh, Javed. "Allergic Rhinitis." Medscape.com. Nov. 22, 2016. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/134825-overview>.
Main Article on Postnasal Drip Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Allergies Quiz: Symptoms & Home Remedies
What are the causes of allergies? This online quiz challenges your knowledge of common food and household allergens,...
Out-of-Control Allergy Symptoms: Treatment Relief in Pictures
Learn 10 signs your allergies are out of control. See these surprising allergy symptoms and find out how to get relief for...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms & Treatment
Sinus infection (sinusitis) symptoms can include headaches, a sore throat, and toothaches. Chronic sinusitis may be caused by...
Other Causes of Postnasal Drip Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Postnasal Drip Symptoms and Signs
- cetirizine, Zyrtec, Zyrtec Allergy, Zyrtec Hives
- desloratadine, Clarinex, Clarinex Reditabs
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine, Allegra-D
- fexofenadine, Allegra, Allegra Allergy, Allegra Hives, Children's Allegra, Mucinex Allergy
- hydroxyzine (Vistaril)
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
- loratadine, Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert, Claritin Hives Relief, Children's Claritin
- montelukast, Singulair
- triamcinolone acetonide nasal inhaler-spray, Nasacort (discontinued brand in USA); Nasacort AQ
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter