Signs and symptoms of postherpetic neuralgia include severe pain that lasts 3 months or longer after the shingles rash has healed. The pain has been described as burning, sharp and jabbing, or deep and aching. Associated symptoms can include
Cause of postherpetic neuralgia
Damage to nerve fibers from the herpes zoster virus causes postherpetic neuralgia. Postherpetic neuralgia usually begins after shingles has cleared, but it can also occur in cases when no shingles blisters were observed. Older people and people who have had shingles are at greatest risk for developing the condition.
Other postherpetic neuralgia symptoms and signs
- Severe Pain That Lasts 3 Months After the Shingles Rash Healed
- Skin Sensitivity to Light Touch
Main Article on Postherpetic Neuralgia Symptoms and Signs
IMAGESBrowse through our medical image collection to see and discover unique diseases and conditions See Images
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Picture of Shingles
An acute infection caused by the herpes zoster virus, the same virus as causes chickenpox. See a picture of Shingles and learn...
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles, Covid-19 Rashes: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, Covid-19 rashes, eczema, shingles, psoriasis,...
Shingles Quiz: Symptoms, Vaccine & Pictures
Shingles falls within a well-known family of viruses that cause itching, burning, blisters, and pain. Take the Shingles Quiz to...
Shingles: Myths and Facts About the Shingles Virus
There are some common misconceptions about this viral illness and the uncomfortable rash it can cause. Here's a guide through the...
What Causes Shingles?
Shingles occurs when the varicella-zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox, re-emerges due to a weakened immune...
Examples of Medications for Postherpetic Neuralgia Symptoms and Signs
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- capsaicin - topical, Capsagel, Salonpas-Hot, Zostri
- Cymbalta (duloxetine)
- gabapentin (Neurontin)
- lidocaine patch (Lidoderm)
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- morphine extended-release capsule - oral, Avinza
- morphine sustained-action capsule - oral, Kadian
- nortriptyline (Pamelor)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- Side Effects of Lyrica (pregabalin)
- tramadol (Ultram)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter