Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Shingles Quiz: Symptoms, Vaccine & Pictures
Shingles falls within a well-known family of viruses that cause itching, burning, blisters, and pain. Take the Shingles Quiz to...
Picture of Shingles
An acute infection caused by the herpes zoster virus, the same virus as causes chickenpox. See a picture of Shingles and learn...
Shingles Rash Pictures, Symptoms, Vaccine Facts
Is shingles contagious? Shingles (herpes zoster virus) is a painful, contagious rash caused by the Varicella zoster virus. Learn...
IMAGESSee pictures of shingles and other viral skin conditions See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Chickenpox (chicken pox) is a contagious childhood disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus. Symptoms have an incubation...
Eczema is a general term for many types dermatitis (skin inflammation). Atopic dermatitis is the most common of the many types of...
Shingles, or herpes zoster, is a painful rash caused by the varicella zoster virus. Other shingles symptoms include headache,...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Shingles and Pregnancy
Becoming infected with chickenpox during pregnancy could cause birth defects in your unborn child. Likewise, shingles could also...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant, Fanatrex FusePag) Side Effects, Dosage, and Abuse
- Tramadol: for Pain (Ultram, Ultram ER, Conzip)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- capsaicin - topical, Capsagel, Salonpas-Hot, Zostri
- morphine sustained-action capsule - oral, Kadian
- lidocaine (Lidoderm)
- lidocaine and prilocaine (DermacinRx, Prizopak, EMLA, Leva Set, Lidopril, Livixil Pak, LP Lite Pak)
- morphine high potency injection (Astramorph, Duramorph, Infumorph, AVINza)
- morphine extended-release capsule - oral, Avinza
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- Shingles Vaccine (Zoster Shingles Vaccine Live, Zostavax)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter