Patient Comments: Post-Polio Syndrome - Treatment

What forms of treatment or therapy have you tried to improve muscle strength lost from post-polio syndrome? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Susan B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I had polio in 1948, age 6. I remember not being able to sit up or roll over. My mother wrapped me in a blanket and tied me to a chair with a towel so she could feed me as I was too big for a highchair. I gradually regained use of my body, but my balance was never good. In my teens, I suffered from chronic swelling and pain in my knees that no one was able to diagnose. I tired easily all my life and was often chided as lazy by the adults in my family. It was an article in the AARP magazine when I was in my early 40s that finally revealed what I had been living with. They reported a study on post-polio syndrome and listed about 25 signs and symptoms. I could identify with 18 of them. Nowadays, I am careful to not exceed 15 minutes of activity without a rest period. I am very intolerant of cold and do not go outside if there is a chance of being chilled. A chill will bring on flu-like symptoms and fever. The best thing I've found in the way of exercise is pool exercises. I am able to complete the full hour of pool exercises without fatigue or breathing problems and my balance has improved quite a bit. Sleep apnea and its side effects are my biggest problem now.

Comment from: Jeff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

Having been born in 1947 I had polio at 18 months. I had it mostly on my right side. I had great doctors! By age 13 I was able to walk. When I reached 55, post-polio syndrome (PPS) began to make me deteriorate, not only all physical manifestations, strength, balance etc., but also my mind has taken PPS as a tremendous stressful impact. At this stage of the game there is no cure for PPS. The best treatment is use what muscles you can for as long as you can, do not place any extra needs or use on your still usable muscles.

Comment from: sanchezmay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

The most effective form of exercise for post-polio is water aerobics. I am a polio survivor and tried it all.

Comment from: polly, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 18

Somebody claimed that polio needs to be treated with vitamin C; use the calcium ascorbate and not ascorbic acid.

Dementia Quiz