Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a disorder of the muscles and joints that causes pain and stiffness in the arms, neck, shoulders, and buttocks. Treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica aims to reduce inflammation with aspirin, ibuprofen, and low doses of cortisone medications. Read more: Polymyalgia Rheumatica Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Vasculitis (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Types)
Vasculitis (arteritis, angiitis) is a general term for a group of uncommon diseases which feature inflammation of the blood...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Blindness is the state of being sightless. Causes of blindness include macular degeneration, stroke, cataract, glaucoma,...
Giant Cell Arteritis (GCA or Temporal Arteritis)
Giant cell arteritis, inflammation of blood vessel walls, affects 10%-15% of polymyalgia rheumatica patients. Symptoms of giant...
Local ResourcesFind a local Rheumatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Weight Loss
- Joint Pain
- Arm Pain
- Loss of Appetite
- Muscle Pain (Myalgia)
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Stiff Neck
- Eye Pain
- Joint Stiffness
- Vision Loss
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- methotrexate, Rheumatrex, Trexall
Prevention & Wellness
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter