Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a disorder of the muscles and joints that causes pain and stiffness in the arms, neck, shoulders, and buttocks. Treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica aims to reduce inflammation with aspirin, ibuprofen, and low doses of cortisone medications. Read more: Polymyalgia Rheumatica Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Vasculitis (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Types)
Vasculitis (arteritis, angiitis) is a general term for a group of uncommon diseases which feature inflammation of the blood...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Blindness is the state of being sightless. Causes of blindness include macular degeneration, stroke, cataract, glaucoma,...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Giant Cell Arteritis (GCA or Temporal Arteritis)
Giant cell arteritis, inflammation of blood vessel walls, affects 10%-15% of polymyalgia rheumatica patients. Symptoms of giant...
Local ResourcesFind a local Rheumatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Joint Pain
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- Weight Loss
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Eye Pain
- Loss of Appetite
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Arm Pain
- Vision Loss
- Joint Stiffness
- Stiff Neck
- Muscle Pain (Myalgia)
Medications & Supplements
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- methotrexate, Rheumatrex, Trexall
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
Prevention & Wellness
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter