Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: sheila 0770, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

After two days of horrible pain and stools that was only blood I went to the emergency room. I spent 8 hours there and finally got diagnosed with colitis. I don't know where to go from here. I was put on two different antibiotics and am waiting to see my doctor.

Comment from: Cyndi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 26 years old. I have had bacterial vaginosis (BV) for almost 2 years. When I first had symptoms, I thought it was a yeast infection. I never really get any discharge with the bacterial infection as you would in a yeast infection but my symptoms are burning and itching, bad! I started going to my obstetrician/gynecologist for this and he put me on treatment with Cervugid ovules (vaginal suppository). After two months of treatment with Cervugid ovules, I had medical tests again and BV went away. I was cured of the disease. I am very happy that I got rid of that awful itching and horrible smell. Now I can start my life again.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 53 and only had periods 1 to 3 times a year. I was able to conceive with fertility drugs. I had to have a hysterectomy at 24 due to multiple cysts on the ovaries. I have hair along my jaw and neck and my hair is thinning. I have suffered with depression and weight. Just recently I found out I am one step away from diabetes. What craziness this polycystic ovarian syndrome is! But like the previous posts, knowledge is empowerment. So I put this new knowledge to the test. Exercise is a must, and vitamins. We can conquer.

Comment from: recluse, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since I was 12. At that time (1956) little was known about anything of women's problems. I was late in starting periods and developed a beard. No one knew what to do so I started shaving in college and have been shaving since. It was difficult to get pregnant. My 2 sons are 7 years apart. I am now experiencing pattern baldness. I always wear a hat. My advice: don't shave your facial hair, get it waxed. And remember you are still a beautiful woman.

Comment from: Maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) for about 8 years now. The cramps are at their worst when I don't eat right or exercise. I am on metformin and hydrochlorothiazide. I had my second baby 5 years ago, after being told at diagnosis that I would never have another child. Needless to say I don't frequent that doctor anymore. Don't be discouraged, pregnancy is possible. However, I want to add that cow's milk is bad for you. Stop drinking it and notice the results.

Comment from: Maeve, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had a ganglion cyst on my right wrist 4 years ago and I got it removed after a year because the pain was unbearable and debilitating with regards to everyday things. Three or four months ago, I started getting pain, and sure enough this month it showed up again in my right wrist and exactly where my old one was. I have pain that is not too bad yet, does get a little too painful sometimes, but not constant.

Comment from: pat m., Published: July 25

I experienced symptoms of acid reflux in my 30s, constantly. Doctor said it was hiatal hernia. I took Tagamet/Prevacid for 20 plus years. The medicines stopped working five years ago and I was put on Nexium. It works, but sometimes I have to take a second dose before sleep. I was told it was probably congenital, but I have a feeling it was self-induced by strenuous exercise during obstacle course as I felt the muscle pull or break-in pain for almost a week. It could be both congenital and induced by physical exertion, unknown. I don't want surgery unless necessary. So I am trying herbal remedies to increase circulation and do moderate exercise. Time will tell if this works; surgery is a last resort.

Comment from: shuburna C., Published: March 29

My daughter is 10 years old and she has epilepsy occasionally. I want to know why it happens.

Comment from: santiago, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have been taking OTC medicine as I believe I have a sciatica. The pain from pinched nerve reverberates to the right side of my leg. It has been longer than 3 months now. I need help.

Comment from: newme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 49 year old nurse that has been suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since diagnosed at 19 years old. I had very irregular, heavy, and painful periods since puberty. I also had excessive facial hair and easily gained weight as an adolescent. I have only to look to my mother and grandmother to see my problem because they have all the same symptoms. My mother and grandmother also have type II diabetes. I have radically changed the two things that can fuel PCOS and insulin resistance. Diet and exercise are the best tools that you have. Eliminate all bread and sugars from your diet. It is not perfect, but it works for weight control. I also have the Mirena IUD (intrauterine device) that has drastically controlled my heavy periods and allowed me to be able to leave my house without fear of bleeding all over whatever chair I happen to be sitting in in public. It really sucks being a woman with PCOS, but I believe this is a time to live and not to die. There are much worse things that could happen to me.

Comment from: RNMOM1961, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have never been formally diagnosed but as a nurse with the symptoms described here I am sure I have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). As a young teen I always had late, heavy periods, 8 to 10 weeks apart. I tried birth control several times but had headaches and leg cramps. It took me 5 years to get pregnant with the help of an infertility specialist, a D&C and Clomid. I was on a diet and had lost 10 lbs when I conceived my daughter 26 years ago. I didn"t have acne and weight gain but am an 'apple' shape and have difficulty losing weight even with diet and exercise. Sixteen years ago I conceived in 8 to 10 weeks without the use of Clomid. Over the years I have had cysts on ultrasound they have found during my yearly gynecological exam. I have not had to take metformin or been diagnosed with insulin-resistance. My advice to every woman would be to seek the advice of an infertility specialist if you have POCS and are trying to conceive. I wish all of you the best of luck! As women we must support each other as usually you have friends that do not have PCOS and infertility so they have no idea how you feel.

Comment from: sandy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 25 years old. I have had a problem of irregular periods, I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) 3 years ago in 2011. I was put on contraceptive pills to regulate my cycle. I was switched to progesterone only pill later for a year, until I got married last year in 2012. Since January 2013 I am not on medication and have been trying to conceive. I didn't get a period from April to July and I consulted my gynecologist who put me on metformin tablet 1500 mg/day. Unfortunately 5 months after taking metformin I have not had a period on my own and I am not pregnant yet.

Comment from: Lilly's Mommy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with PCOS. Found out after missing my period for 1 year and always having it irregular. The Dr. didn't go into much detail about what it is and what affects it. So I did my own search and here is what I learned. Insulin carries sugar and helps turn it to energy. Sometimes it doesn't work right. The insulin gets over produced which causes our hormones to go haywire. Testosterone goes up, Estrogen goes down. We grow hair, get acne like a teenage boy, go bald like an old man and especially have a hard time getting pregnant. So I changed my diet cut out all processed sugars and carbs. Lost the weight, balance my glucose and had my period within 3 months after going 1 year without. Best part of all within 6 months I became pregnant with a beautiful baby girl named Lilly. She turned 1 yesterday. It's not a perfect science but we were never intended to eat how most Americans eat. Before medicine try a Normal, Natural way to help deal with PCOS. We all have our cross to bear, this is just our ladies. Stay Positive, Stay Healthy and do the research!

Comment from: Icanttell, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am fifteen years old. I have PCOS. I have gained a lot of weight around my waist, the back of my neck and armpits are darker than what it used to be. I feel anxious and often very sorrowful. I try to calm myself by telling myself that god is testing me. I have problems with settling my pimples, I am undergoing treatment for it. I may have high levels of thyroid too; I still have to undergo more tests to see how serious it is.

Comment from: JIA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

The symptoms of my polycystic ovarian syndrome started with an irregular cycle, when I was 25 years old. I did not develop acne or hirsutism. I am having difficulty in conceiving. I have been trying for six months now. My ultrasound scan showed that my right ovary has multiple cysts, whereas my left ovary was normal. My LH and FSH are in the normal range, but the ratio is 1:1. I have taken three cycles of Clomid, but it was of no use.

Comment from: pcosprincess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 years old. I was taken to the doctor when I turned 16 and still had not had my first period. My endocrinologist at the time prescribed a high dose of Metormin but did little else. It had no effect on me at the time. Later, a gynecologist prescribed Medroxyprogesterone to start my period and then birth control to maintain it. I've been on hormonal birth control ever since to maintain regular periods and prevent uterine cancer. I haven't had many cysts, and the few that I did have erupted when I was in my teens. I am however obese (but working on it with the help of an amazing doctor who also has PCOS and really knows what she's talking about). I also have a lot of excess facial hair and body hair growth. I grow thick hair in small patches around my chin and jawline that I pluck and also grow finer hair on my lower stomach and butt that I can shave. My insulin level is currently at 25 (normal is 3-25) and my doctor has set a goal for me to reduce it to 18-20 with diet (high protein/low carb) and exercising 3-4x a week. I'm still currently on 500 mg of Metformin a day and currently using the NuvaRing as my hormonal birth control.

Comment from: Nanzapp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed at the age of about 15 years old. At about 18 I started losing my hair not a lot just in the middle I have a bit of a bald spot. I almost never got my periods and at 15 that was great I was put on metphormin but refused to take it due to the "icky" taste because I couldn't swallow pills I had to take the liquid form. Anyway, I've always wanted kids just not right now I am only 19 and single. But with the PCOS I get sent to the hospital because my period cramps are so bad I can't stand up at all. I've been on my period for about 6 months right now some days are lighter than others but I'm going to the doctor in March for some sort of treatment because I can't live like this anymore.

Comment from: bellablue, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was diagnosed at 16 with pcos, at the time my only real symptom was extreme irregular cycles. I'm now 26 and have trouble getting pregnant I have 1 child out of the blue, I still don't have regular cycles unless on BC. After having my child I now grow facial hair, I have blood sugar problems, I don't need to take insulin but my blood sugar can drop at any time and I have to carry glucose tablets. My fingers swell up, and I'm starting to go bald. The only thing I haven't seemed to get yet is a weight problem or high BP or cholesterol.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18, although I'm not insulin resistant, I do have trouble losing weight although my BMI is right in the middle of the healthy range. My biggest symptoms are hair loss from my head, thicker and excessive facial hair, acne, and irritation/depression.

Comment from: neha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

1 year ago I was diagnosed with PCOS, but the most interesting thing is I don't have any problem with menstruation. My cycle is very regular; my follicle size when checked on 14th day of my cycle is 24mm. This was the main reason that I didn't get to know about it at the early stage. The major and very embarrassing problem I faced is excessive hair lose. I lost my 45% hair because of this, but I am taking Ayurveda medicine of dong-quai root which contains phytoestrogen and not a steroid and there is lot of improvement in my condition without ant side effect. As being pharmacist I know that steroidal structure is not required for estrogenic activity. I am taking walnuts, soybean, almonds, flaxseed, dates and green tea. Trust me if you are having this problem start taking these all. It will definitely help you as it helped me.

Comment from: Shelly, 19-24 (Patient) Published: November 28

I was diagnosed with PCOS in November 2011 at the age of 22 years. I actually thought I was pregnant when I missed my period for 3months and I went from 98 pounds to 103 pounds and I had cravings sweet foods, extra hair on my face and skin, mood swings, depression and I just felt ugly. I had 3 negative p/tests that's when I decided to visit my doctor and was diagnosed. He gave me norculut for my period and I am still waiting to see the result of that. His advice was to try to get pregnant sooner than later to secure a child in my lifetime. I don't have a partner but I'll find one to conceive with.

Comment from: Allison, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I'm 19 years old and was just recently diagnosed with PCOS a little over a month ago. My periods weren't irregular until my mother passed away 2 years ago. I'm assuming that made my hormones go crazy. I experience excessive hair growth on my face and neck. Along with dark patches of skin underneath my arms, on the outside of my hips, and the inside of my thighs. I'm anxious more often than not. I'm hoping to find cures for all of these symptoms soon.

Comment from: Young_Girl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I am 15 years old and was recently diagonsed with PCOS. I had a regular period for a year then continously missed it for months on end, then when I did get it, my periods caused me to have severe cramps. I also suffered from bad acne, oily hair and I didn't know at that time that I had it. My mum has one ovary that suffers from it, I got the full thing. I have now been on the pill for 2 months and have started to get bad pains again even when I'm not on my period.

Comment from: ROCA7273, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I'm 38 years old and I was diagnosed maybe 5 years ago with PCOS, after jumping from doctor to doctor, insurances, and hospitals. Finally I went to Kaiser where I was diagnosed. My symptoms were irregular periods with long absences in between. Hair growth on my chin, lower back pain, heavy clots, heavy bleeding and weight gain which was hard to lose and keep off. Partly caused my divorce when we went for infertility treatments. I was put on birth control and metformin because I became pre diabetic. I weaned myself off both medicines and started taking primrose gel pills. I've gotten my period regularly these past 8 months. My sister also started taking primrose pills and noticed changes with her cycles. Neither of us have children. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Dawn21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was 14 years old when I was diagnosed with PCOS I had started my period when I was in the 6th grade and went a year without a period before I was diagnosed. I am 21 years old now, when I first was diagnosed I had gained around a 100 pounds and my hair was thinning. The only other symptom I had was the lack of period. I now suffer from severe cysts on my ovaries. I started having severe pain on my right side around a year and a half ago and saw 3 doctors before one took enough interest in me to do an ultrasound and find out what was troubling me. The found that my right ovary was riddled with cysts. I have asked my doctor to do the surgery to remove them but she refuses. I suffer everyday with severe pain in my lower abdomen. I wish I could find a doctor willing to treat my problem not my symptoms.

Comment from: Rawrr, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Hi, I'm 18 and just been diagnosed with PCOS. I have always had irregular periods and was put on the pill 6 months after I started getting my period at 14. My Mom and her Mom suffer from PCOS and they put me straight on the high risk pill For PCOS. In the last couple of months I've been having a sharp pain in my right side that prevents me from lifting, pushing, pulling and even sex hurts. At first they thought it was a bladder infection or my appendix but they finally sent me for a ultrasound and found that my right side ovary is riddled in cysts and is very inflamed. I stopped taking the pill in January because me and my partner want to try for a baby since stopping the pill the pain is a lot worse and my periods are not regular. I haven't had one in nearly two months and my skin is really bad on my back, chest and face .

Comment from: ShellyR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was recently told I had PCOS. My problems have always been heavy cramping and long periods since puberty. At 16, I was put on birth control and had to get off around 24 because I suddenly bled continuously until I stopped the pill. I tried four types. I stayed off for years, and I had seven full days of miserable periods. I would PMS for weeks beforehand, and I gained 40 pounds. I had painful intercourse. My period was irregular to the point where it felt as if it would start but then didn't. Most recently -- I'm 30 now -- on Christmas day, I started what was supposed to be my period. It went on for two weeks, stopped for five days, and has continued to today. That's two months of excessive bleeding, anemia, muscle cramps as if someone was yanking out my insides, bowel cramps, excessive hair growth on my face, high anxiety, crying excessively over frustration, etc. One doctor put me on low estrogen for three months while I pled for something faster. I changed doctors and am waiting to start a different birth control next week. I've had internal and external ultrasounds, blood work, pap smears -- and all tests came back fine. I know I'm not fine.

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had PCOS for the past 10 years and didn't even know it until two years ago. I have always had irregular periods, but they never lasted more than seven days. All of a sudden in September of 2008, I noticed excessive hair growth on my face, and I had debilitating cramps. They were so bad that I went to the hospital because we thought I was miscarrying or something. They did an ultrasound and found five fibroids about the size of oranges, dosed me up with morphine for the pain, and sent me home. I was in shock when my period just didn't stop. I had a full blown period for more than six months and went to the doctor several times but all they would tell me is I was fat and needed to lose weight. One day I was looking for some vitamins in a health food store for my mother, and I saw a brand called WomenSense. I told the lady at the register that I had fibroid tumors and she suggested three vitamins that helped her and gave me the name of her doctor who was the one to finally diagnose me. Since then, I now take Adrenasense, Thyrosense, and Estrosense and have been watching my diet and exercising four times a week. My periods were regulated in the first two months of taking the vitamins and the doctor hasn't had to put me on any meds at all. Please give these vitamins a chance! They have saved my sanity!

Comment from: miracle mom, 45-54 Female Published: February 10

At 16 I had severe cramping and heavy irregular periods, at 17 my doctor put me on birth control and periods got better but I was in agony every month at the time I should be ovulating. Stopped taking pills. At 18 I was so ill I couldn't hardly get out of bed and on day 4 of this is when my mom rushed me to emergency because I couldn't even crawl to the bathroom, couldn't eat or drink because I couldn't keep anything down. A scope showed a mess of infection throughout my abdominal cavity. A large cyst had ruptured and pretty much everything was glued together with the infection. After being released from the hospital they said it was my choice to have surgery or not, I chose not. Still no firm diagnosis. At 19 one sudden jump caused another to burst. Immediately rushed to emergency and went for the surgery, I couldn't take being in pain every month. They removed pretty much all of one ovary; they left a "wisp" for hormones and half of my other ovary. They told my parents I probably would never have children. Well that was 32 years ago, I am sure PCOS was not "discovered" at that point. I have 5 children all conceived naturally and I consider myself lucky, but when a doctor tells me that something was never going to happen. I have a hard time believing that! I kept my pathology report so in case any of my daughters have any issues we have a history. It helps things move along faster.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My wife had pcos for 3 years. She will get periods only when she will take tablets. Otherwise she won't get periods. Sometimes she won't get periods for 6-7 months. We got married 2 months ago. Is it possible 4 my wife to get pregnant with pcos or after the cure of pcos. Please suggest an idea for her to get rid of pcos. She is getting depressed because of pcos.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: July 17

I am was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome when I was 14. I had random periods that were always horrible and heavy. I developed hair growth on my face and body along with weight gain. The only thing I didn't get was acne. I worked off the excess weight and watch my caffine and salt in take because I have noticed it causes my body to cramp worse.. That's all I have been able to control naturally. I have had 2 different laproscopic surgeries for either cysts rupturing or removal of cysts on my ovaries. I am now 31 I have learned that every case is different. I haven't found any over the counter meds that help. I have taken everything from Estrogen tablets to Glucophage to the depo provera shots and nothing has helped. I only ovulate 4 times a year where as normal females ovulate 12. I have inherited the pcos from my mother side of the family. I am the youngest of 3 girls and I am the only one that it has hit out of my siblings. In my personal trials with polycystic ovarian syndrome it has been debilitating mentally and physically and emotionally. I really think that more research needs to be founded in this area. I and my family have thought that maybe that a hysterectomy would help so I talked it over with my Doctor and it was explained to me that, In the pain and period part of my pcos it would help. But in long term effect it would not help hormonally and put me at more risk for Cancer. So after that I'm thinking about getting a second opinion about the surgery. I have felt so bad for so long.. I will not give up Hope that there is help out there somewhere..

Comment from: qurat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I am 26 years old, married and have been trying to conceive. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with PCOS, although I have no signs or symptoms. I've had two cycles of Clomid – but so far, no result.

Comment from: coping girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I remember my very first menstruation at 9 as being very painful. Since then, I've had dysmenorrhea. I got used to painful and irregular menstruation. When I started working, I had gained so much weight; I became obese despite my efforts to diet and exercise. When my period stopped for almost a year, I was grateful that there was no more pain. Then, I suddenly had a heavy period and got scared. I went to the doctor and learned I have PCOS. I felt so down. I still remember how my physician tactfully tried to explain to me that I probably would not be able to get pregnant. I did not get married because I am infertile.

Comment from: mik, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Since first getting my period at age 13, my cycles have been irregular. My doctor told me this was normal and not to worry. At age 17, I started taking birth control pills. At 19, three months after I gave birth to my daughter, I had a horrible pain in my lower abdomen. My doctor said the pain would go away. I even asked about PCOS but was told I didn't have it. One year later, the pain was still there, along with extra-oily skin, dandruff, high blood pressure, and horrible mood swings. I finally went to a different doctor, who suggested an ultrasound and blood tests. Two days later, I was diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor was amazed that I was able to get pregnant on the pill while having PCOS

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have been reading this to see what the chances are of my daughter having pocs. My mother had it and had an operation in the 50's and then she had two daughters (including myself). I had periods at first but they stopped when I went to college. I have not been overweight, but have oily skin and dark hair on my arms, legs and lips (but I am also eastern European). I took birth control in college and then when I married and wanted children it took 5 years; 2 without drugs, 3 years including a miscarriage and clomid. I had a beautiful daughter and then had a son 2 years later with no drugs. I then had periods and just went thru menopause. My daughter has periods but gets cysts all the time. I am hoping I have not passed this on to her.

Comment from: Kylie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I'm 17 years old almost 18 and I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome for about two years now. I haven't had my period in almost two years and recently started. It has been a constant struggle plucking the facial hairs and buying the overnight pads that are only working for about an hour. Yes, I'm overweight but even eating right and exercising is only making my periods worse. Ladies, sometimes exercising is the best thing even though it makes your period worse. We all need to get as much as we can out because we never know the next time we will get our periods.

Comment from: Vaheesta, 35-44 Female Published: October 17

Since I got my periods at the age of 10 I have had a continuous struggle with weight, I also developed hair all over my body. I have heavy bleeding during each period and cramps from the day I ovulate till the third day of my period. Since the last couple of years I also suffer pain on the days I ovulate on my side and back. However one symptom of PCOS I don't have is irregular periods. I have had a regular 28 day cycle with ovulation every 10th day since almost the beginning. I didn't know I had PCOS until I delivered my son and my OB-GYN told me. This surprised me since I have been to other doctors before for the heavy bleeding, pain and cramps. The biggest problem is weight which is very very difficult to manage.

Comment from: zzzzzzzzz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I am 25 year old and was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome about 5 months ago. I have been suffering with severe abdominal, pelvic and lower back pain for past one year. My pain starts as my menstruation date gets closer and extends for 4-5 days then ends as the bleeding starts. I consulted a gynecologist and she prescribed me metformin. I am not obese. I don't have excessive facial hair growth, and don't have acne either.

Comment from: Vaiseyangel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

Weight gain and difficulty losing weight are symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome for me. I also have very thick and dark facial hair that is frustrating and embarrassing. I have, however, with a lot of hard work, lost a lot of the weight in the last two years and that has helped my period to be more regular (I used to only get it three times a year).

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome 7 years ago. My periods have been nonexistent and then so heavy that I am bleeding all over myself and last for months. I gained a lot of weight and have been unable to lose any of it even with working out in the gym 5 to 6 days a week. I changed my diet and I even went as far as not eating but one small meal a day. Nothing was working. Just this year after I switched physicians, I was put on Metformin. Metformin allowed me to lose 10 pounds the first month. I continued to lose a little weight over the next couple weeks and then it all stopped. My periods are still crazy. I get major headaches. I have acne like crazy and I have insanely fast growing hair. If I shave in the morning by midafternoon I have as much hair on my legs as most do after 2 days. I have hot flashes that I call, "My own personal summer." It is all very frustrating. However, I took Metformin and Clomid to get pregnant and I have had 3 children with it! Now that I am done having children, I wish the doctors would just remove my ovaries. I would prefer to take the hormones that my body needs daily rather than deal with everything else that PCOS brings even with the side effects of the hormone replacement.

Comment from: herbkat014, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with PCOS since I was 18 and have been going through a really difficult time. I was even diagnosed with Hyperplasia a-typia of the uterus and now possible ovarian cancer. Ive been begging my doctors to give me a hyterectomy and have had no success they do not want to operate because I am only 30 and no children. Ive had an increase of hirsutism and weight loss has been difficult. I am now going through a lot of pain in the abdomen and nothing is helping. My mood swings are severe and I'm going through bad depressions. I've been having random body aches and to go to the bathroom is the worst. Ive been also diagnosed as a pre-diabetic.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: October 12

I have PCOS as well. I have been overweight for my entire life. I never had a problem with my periods until I was 21 and now I am 27. After I met my husband, I stopped ovulating, continued to get excessive facial hair and gain weight. We tried getting pregnant earlier this year, and I ovulated both months I was on Clomid, but we didn't conceive. I am now on prescription weight-loss medicine and am walking five times a week. I cut out all sweet teas and drink only unsweetened tea, water and diet soda occasionally. I have lost more than 30 pounds in three months. I am planning on having weight-loss surgery next year. A lot of women who have PCOS lose the excess weight and are able to conceive after weight-loss surgery. My insurance pays for the surgery, so I am going to have it performed. I am hoping and praying that once all this is over that I will be able to conceive.

Comment from: leny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have continuous bleeding that is moderate to heavy. I also had an endometrial polyp aside from polycystic ovarian syndrome. I had been through deletion and curettage, but I do still experience unstoppable bleeding.

Comment from: Tiff, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My periods have always been irregular, sometimes I have even went a year without having one. But recently I have started losing hair on the side of my head, and growing hair on my chin. I am overweight now and have extreme pelvic pain from time to time. And of course I have dozens of small cysts on my ovaries. I have recently been diagnosed with insulin resistance, and hypertension as well. Until now I didn't know they were all related.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: March 16

With my PCOS I experienced increased facial hair, infertility and weight gain.

Comment from: kavita, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 24 years old and I am suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since 15 years old. My periods were irregular, and I used to get a period once every six months. The bleeding was so heavy that it won't stop even after 30 days unless I consult a doctor and take some pill to control the bleeding. Now, the last 5 years, I'm taking Ovral-L which causes my period to occur on a monthly basis but the flow of blood is low. I have some dark spots on my face and my skin is highly pigmented and I don't understand how to deal with the skin problems as I have consulted many skin specialists and now I'm literally fed up. I have already given up and don't think that there is any solution for this. All the doctors just do their experiments with negative results.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since I was 17, but I just now got diagnosed when I was 20 after my first child. I have had irregular periods since age 12. I can go months without them. I have been on Metformin for 2 years now. I hate it because I am always sick on it. I use to be on a hormonal birth control, but now I have an IUD that's much easier. I have thick dark facial hair everywhere on my face. I also have it on my stomach. I have weight problems. I also have the dark patches under my arm and behind my neck.

Comment from: cmellon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am 19 years old and I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) when I was 13 years old. I was also diagnosed with high insulin. I would go for months without having a period, and I had major acne. At my biggest I weighed 218 lbs. When I was diagnosed I was put on Metformin and I was referred to a dietician. After about two weeks of taking the Metformin I ended up in the hospital with a severe allergic reaction. I was no longer allowed to take it as prescribed by my doctor. During all of this I was constantly changing birth control. I had been on two or three different types of birth control pills and now I am on the Depo-Provera shot and have had a period for going on three months. I have lost a significant amount of weight as well. I have pretty much done everything and nothing has worked. I'm about to go see my doctor and I need something other than what I am doing.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was first diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome at 17 years old. The first signs were irregular periods and acne. What provoked my first visit to the doctor was facial hair, which I still have to a certain degree, but I don't have to deal with it as often. The tests showed I had cysts, though not the kind they look for, somewhat high testosterone, and somewhat high cholesterol. I have been on birth control since (three years now), and haven't really had issues aside from having to buzz off a very light mustache every so often.

Comment from: Munie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am 31 years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS over 2 years ago. My doctor wasn't willing to share any info about this syndrome. My doctor put me on Clomid and Metformin along with prenatal visits. I have issues with being overweight. I do have cysts that were detected, my periods are irregular and bleed non-stop with heavy, prolonged periods. Other than that I do have problem with hair growth. I am married for four year and have been trying for the last 3 years to get pregnant but so far still no luck. Early last year my doctor stop the treatment and I start to developed Type 2 diabetes and i continue to have problem with my period plus the newest I been having menstrual cramp.

Comment from: pablod, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned is effects on mood. My wife has PCOS and gets quiet angry and changes mood quickly that the doctor said may be due to elevated male hormone levels. This has effects on the PCOS sufferer's partner and children. Please keep in mind it's not just you that is suffering.

Comment from: aseabolt, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 32 year old female who has been fighting with pcos for about 8months now and it is not fun in any way. Around Easter 2011 I found out that pcos was the cause of me having so much abdominal pain and my irregular periods, this started happening when I was 14 and never noticed. I hate being in pain and just want it to go away. What other options do I have, my doctor just put me on the fluid pill today after 8 months of misery, nice right, don't think so. I hope they get this under control because it really sucks!!

Comment from: wilkpat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am now 70 years old. My PCOS was not diagnosed until I was 36. I had regular periods every 5 weeks very heavy and very painful, plus extreme pain during ovulation time. At the age of 28 I started growing facial hair, stopped being able to diet off weight gain, which continued to increase, and the ovulation pains ceased. Doctors refused to take me seriously when I said something was wrong and gave me more diet sheets. When I was diagnosed in 1977 I was given pills to get the proper hormones working in the pituary gland and when this did not work a operation cutting wedges out of my ovaries. The ovulation pain came back for 3 months then they closed up again. The wedge section caused a large cyst to grow and doctors fears cancer. In 1991 my ovaries were removed and I hoped all was over. However weight gain continued and I am now obese.

Comment from: Goann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I started having irregular cycles when I turned 22. I started adding so much weight, my blood pressure went up and my stomach started to grow. I went to the hospital and was told I had polycystic ovarian disease. I started to take so many drugs and had to undergo alot of tests and scans. Dandruff suddenly increased on my hair. I tried all I could to watch my weight but without success. I am now 28 and the symptoms are still there. My blood pressure is a bit better but the weight is still there. Sometimes I experience pain in my lower abdomen or my ovaries. I wish I could just stop it.

Comment from: melissa08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I am 20 years old and I have pcos. I have no periods. Last year I had 2 periods all year. I have not had a regular period in 3 years. I keep gaining weight and I can not lose it. I have very oily skin and acne. I do not have any extra hair but I am scared I will. I want to have kids so bad and I don't think I am going to be able to. I have wanted to have a kid for the past 3 years. I don't know what to do. It is very depressing knowing that I can not have kids.

Comment from: foxysly1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My doc said I had cysts on my ovaries. Now 2 years ago I weighed 118lb.then I start gaining weight real fast. Even I walk exercise and don't eat much. Some days I skip a meal. A month ago I seen my doctor and I weigh 245 lb. then I came back a month later and I gained another 9lb. I don't know why I gain like that. My doc said it could be the cysts but they would make me eat a lot since I told him my intake a day may be 800-1000 calories.

Comment from: kdd girl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Oily skin, problem in conceiving, weight gain, abnormal periods experienced with PCOS.

Comment from: MNJ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have been recently diagnosed with PCOS. I am 33 years old and have always had irregular periods. Sometimes I would go months without a period. The doctors first said it had to do with my age and I was just starting my periods. Then at age 15 I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism so they said my irregular periods were because of that. I got married a year ago and wanted to see if I could have children. My doctor took a bunch of hormone test and an internal ultrasound. That is when I found out I had PCOS and I was ovulating at that moment. I ended up pregnant. I lost the babies 6 weeks later. I have been trying to get pregnant ever since. My doctor put me on 1000 mg of Metformin. I will know in two weeks if the clomid and clomiphene citrate shot worked. If it didn't my next step is an IUI. Also, because of the PCOS I don't make enough progesterone when pregnant so I am taking progesterone suppository.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed with PCOS however the only symptoms that I have are acne, absent periods, and elevated hormone levels. No pain, no obesity, no other abnormal labs, also no cysts. I was diagnosed after problems with infertility. Luckily after many failed attempts, I am expecting a baby boy any day now, thanks to the help of IVF!

Comment from: Ann, 25-34 Female Published: March 22

This article was very informative; I have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). The symptoms I am having are irregular periods, heavy bleeding, obesity, dandruff, etc.

Comment from: luvamusiq, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with pcos at 21. I don't have a lot of symptoms just trouble with fertility. The prescribed morphine helped but I no longer have insurance and I have pain in my ovaries.

Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) when I was 24. I am now 33 and have not conceived. It's very irritable and frustrated. I had some acne, dandruff, lots of weight gain and it's very hard to loose the weight. I now have skin problems. Over the years, it gets worse. I had no menstrual for six months and the other six months I had one. That was back in teens day. I know what others go thru. It's very hard for me. I just pray that one day I can have a child.

Comment from: perenial pcod, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have this syndrome for as long as I can remember. It has taken away my happiness. I wanted to be a normal girl all my life. I hate docs because they could never help me really. I try to be happy with the other things which GOD has bestowed in my life. It's my karma.

Comment from: Dugrad98, 25-34 Female Published: March 02

My polycystic ovarian syndrome symptoms include hair loss and extremely bad dandruff. Though I haven't gained more weight, it is very difficult for me to lose weight.

Comment from: marsha, 25-34 Female Published: February 22

I've been suffering with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) I am 34. I still haven't had a child I'm longing for, I've a lot of facial hair and been putting on so much weight. I've also had repeted yeast infections.

Comment from: Samantha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have several symptoms due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I have a bad case of oily skin and a very regular case of yeast infection. As of late I noticed an enlargment in my genitals (clitoris). I am also gaining weight uncontrollably no matter what I do.

Comment from: Kira, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 27, have been diagnosed with PCOS for 3 years ago. It is still strange to believe in it, since I have always been very skinny and did not experience much hair on my face or body. My symptoms are all about blood sugar and total absence of periods. I feel bad about not being able to have anything sweet, since I feel terrible afterwards, shaking and very weak. Last time I have had periods for almost 3 years ago. Yesterday I visited my doctor, I can't wait anymore. I am starting taking pills this weekend, hope it will help.

Comment from: Windsorgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have not been diagnosed with PCOS but instead of Polycystic Ovaries and Depression. In the city I live in it is nearly impossible to get an accurate diagnosis so I am left to just assume. I first found out I have polycystic ovaries when I went into the hospital with severe abdominal pain. In my city they said I had Polycystic ovaries but that my pain was in my mental state and that nothing was wrong. I went to a hospital 2.5 hours outside my city (I go for another medical reason) and there they found out that I had three abdominal abscesses. Since then I had suddenly also gained three sizes in one year and no one can explain why. Because I had been on Prednisone they just chalked it up to that but I know that isn't the cause because you don't suddenly gain weight from that after being on it for three years. In fact it takes two weeks to show the symptoms associated with Prednisone. The weight gain was not related to that medication. Also I have pretty bad depression which even Wellbutrin and Paxil aren't helping. I have pretty severe mood swings. I never was like this before and usually I had no trouble being a normal weight but now I am on the obese border line at my heaviest I have ever been. I can only assume that I have PCOS until I am able to move to a better city with better hospitals.

Comment from: dhariane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have had an irregular menstruation since I was 14 years old. When I have menstruation my discharge is just a droplet for three days. I have already had an ultrasound as advised by my ob-gyn then the result was a small polycystic on my right ovary. That's the reason I can't get pregnant.

Comment from: hepsiba sunder, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) when I was in the 6th grade. I was put on birth control pills. My condition has worsend since. It's nearly 9 years later and I am still being treated, but I have little hope about this situation now. I have stopped taking medication as I put on weight, and I have thick hairs growing on my chin.

Comment from: Alleycat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have been bleeding for two months now, excessive hair loss, weight gain around my belly and my neck is discolored. My gyob suspected PCOS and tests confirmed this. I'm relieved to know that I can be treated.

Comment from: Horichola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had pcos for over 6 years. I went through many doctors who didn't know how to help me and now I no longer have health insurance so I continue to suffer with free clinics turning me down. I have excessive facial hair, excruciating pain every month around ovulation for about 10 days in a row. I have no access to pain medication so my only relief is a heating pad. This disease has taken the life out of me.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter