A polio infection causes symptoms and signs such as paralysis, limb deformities, and even death. There is no curative treatment for polio. Treatment focuses on pain control, bed rest, and physical therapy. Read more: Polio Article
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
Sore throats are generally described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by: bacterial...
Constipation (Home Remedies and Medications for Relief)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Cough (Chronic Cough)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing, swallowing problems. Dysphagia is due to problems in nerve or muscle control. It is...
Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is a group of signs and symptoms that show up two to four decades after the initial polio infection....
Enterovirus (Non-Polio Enterovirus Infection)
Non-polio enteroviruses cause a variety of infections, including aseptic meningitis, hand, foot, and mouth disease, herpangina,...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
Polio -- Patient Experience
Did you receive the polio vaccine as a child? Did you make sure your children received the polio vaccine? Please describe your experience.Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Vaccination 101: Make Sure Kids Are Up to Date
- Time to Catch Up on Reading, Writing … and Routine Shots
- Just a Few Vaccine Refusers Could Endanger Many
- Immunizations for High Flyin' Travelers
- 17 Syrian Children Paralyzed by Polio
- Are Kids' Vaccines a Victim of Their Own Success?
- Congressional Group Gives Bipartisan Support to Vaccine Safety
- Common Virus May Have Ties to Type 1 Diabetes
- Polio Nearly Vanquished: CDC
- More Parents Believe Vaccines Are Unnecessary
- Child Paralysis Cases Spiked During Virus Outbreak: Study
- Start of School Year Calls for Vaccine Check
- Doctors Worry About Return of Vaccine-Preventable Ills in Kids
- Infectious-Disease Expert Debunks Common Vaccine Myths
- More Americans Support Vaccines: HealthDay/Harris Poll
- Vaccine Opponents Often Cluster in Communities
- Only 1 Child in Paralysis Outbreak Has Recovered
- 'Kids' Diseases' Now Hitting Adults
- The Salk Polio Vaccine: 'Greatest Public Health Experiment in History'
- A Lasting Legacy of Science
- The Salk Polio Vaccine: A Medical Miracle Turns 60
- The Man in the Iron Lung
- Two Polio Vaccines May Give Greater Protection Against Crippling Disease
- Researchers Assess New Way to Boost Polio Immunity
- Whooping Cough Cases Rise as Parents Opt Out of Vaccine
- Modified Polio Virus May Help Fight Brain Tumors, Study Suggests
- Too Few Adults Get Recommended Vaccines: CDC
- Childhood Vaccine Schedule Is Safe, Report Says
- Research Suggests Possible Vaccine to Prevent Premature Birth
- More Kids Opting Out of School-Required Vaccinations: Study
- West Nile Up 35%, but CDC Says Peak Has Passed
- West Nile Death, Paralysis Toll Climbs
- Beyond Statistics: 2 Faces of West Nile Virus
- Are Kindergarten Kids Getting Their Vaccines?
- Vaccinations Belong on Parents' Back-to-School Checklists
- Combo Vaccine May Raise Babies' Risk for Fever-Caused Seizures
- Survey: Younger Doctors More Skeptical of Vaccines
- Needle-Free Shots Make Vaccines Less Scary
- CDC: Vaccination Rates for Toddlers Rising
- New Study May Aid Search for AIDS Vaccine
- West Nile Virus in 15 States
- New Insurance Rules: Free Preventive Health Care
- No Ill Effects When Kids Get Vaccines on Time
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter