Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac Center

Poison ivy, oak, and sumac contain a substance called urushiol, which causes a rash on people who come in contact with them. Symptoms and signs include a red, swollen, itchy, blistering, bumpy rash. Treatment involves rinsing the exposed area with water, taking antihistamines and over-the-counter pain medications, using topical treatments such as calamine lotion, and applying cool compresses. Read more: Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac Article

QUESTION

Allergies can best be described as: See Answer

Treatment & Diagnosis

Medications & Supplements

Prevention & Wellness

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 8/4/2020

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter

By clicking "Submit," I agree to the MedicineNet Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. I also agree to receive emails from MedicineNet and I understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet subscriptions at any time.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW