Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I went to the doctor for a wellness checkup. He encouraged me to get the flu and pneumonia vaccine, either of which I have never had before. About 8 hours later I had pretty significant pain in both shoulders; no redness or swelling but it felt hard at the injection sites. I couldn't get comfortable to sleep. I woke up around 1:00 am with nausea, diarrhea, and intense headache. I couldn't go back to sleep after taking 2 Tylenols for pain. I went on to work as usual but feeling nauseated so I'm sipping on ginger ale and eating crackers. Generally feel awful and wish I could go home and get some sleep.

Comment from: Wendy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had the Pneumovax shot on October 4, just last week. No problem until that night, when I was hit suddenly with crushing pain in my arm and shoulder. No swelling. No redness. Only incredible pain. I could not get comfortable all night. I could not move my arm. I used ice and heating pad. It has improved gradually, but now, 5 days later, I still have some pain and general ugh feeling. I had no forewarning about this.

Comment from: doc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I was given the PCV13 pneumonia vaccination shot in one arm and the current flu shot in the other over 2 weeks ago. I have every side effect listed on the sheet given to me after the shot. I really didn't want it but I am in poor health, little did I know I could be so sick. I called the doctor's office, and they told me to go to urgent care. They couldn't do anything and said I needed to go to an emergency room (ER) for an IV of steroids (I am extremely allergic to steroids). So I sit here miserable. I did report my side effects but they couldn't tell me anything to do. By the way, last time I went to the ER it was due to a steroid shot and they refused to do anything. That doctor said he didn't want to put anything else in my body.

Comment from: ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I got a pneumonia vaccine shot on April 27th, this is July 12th and my arm still hurts. Yes, it hurts in the shoulder and down to my wrist and down my thumb. It hurts to lift my arm, drive with that arm, etc. So sorry I took the advice of my doctor to get the shot.

Comment from: Never Again, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had 5 vaccinations 18 months ago as recommended by my doctor. One was the pneumonia vaccination. Five hours later I was taken to emergency in an ambulance due to the pain on both shoulders and down the left arm and around my wrist. I was given morphine and took morphine for 6 months; when I thought it would be wise to quit. I take Tylenol extra strength now, regularly, in order to remain upright. Never again will I be taking vaccinations. I have had painful surgeries previously but nothing compares to this.

Comment from: RotatorErik, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I injured my shoulders a few years back. I was just getting into training in the gym and was really excited. So I was working out at least 4 or 5 days a week. Oh and I loved bench-pressing; the one exercise I don't recommend to anyone anymore to do alone and without supervision, because of that I was out of the gym for 1.5 years. I injured my rotator cuff in both my shoulders, went to see various doctors, and got a lot of treatment that didn't do anything for me. Then started researching about home remedies and exercises I could do by myself. This really changed my life in a matter of 2 months, I could do all sorts of things I could not in the past, including bench-pressing again!

Comment from: Brains, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I had pneumococcal vaccination 3 days ago as I'm asthmatic, off the back of a previous flu injection. I'm a fit 46 year old with a BMI of 23 so usually cope well with a few sniffs and snivels. I had no warning as to any side effects of pneumococcal vaccination. My arm is red at site of injection, swollen and hot, I have sweats at night, bedclothes are wringing wet, and have uncontrollable shakes, nausea and loss of appetite, all of which may be a necessary evil to protect me. However no warning is shocking and unacceptable and someone should be held to account. I feel for anyone who is elderly and not reasonably healthy as goodness knows how badly they would fare!

Comment from: jellybeans, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I let the pharmacy talk me into a pneumococcal shot. The shot did not hurt a bit, it's been going on 3 days now. I cannot remember the last time I have been this sick. My arm was just throbbing with pain, body aches from head to toe, chills to sweating. Never again!

Comment from: AmandaB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I received a pneumococcal vaccination yesterday, because I've had lung damage from chest wall radiation and had pneumonia in that lung this year. I must say that the shot was very painful and I cannot lift my arm all the way and have shooting pains in my shoulder. That being said, I'll still 'suck it up' and get another shot when it's due. The pain of a pneumonia shot is way less than dealing with pneumonia and the pain in our account from emergency room fees.

Comment from: alan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

My general physician suggested I have it. I received the pneumococcal vaccination last Thursday. I had no initial pain but I awoke at 2 am with the most horrible pain in my shoulder and a slight fever. The pain was so bad I could hardly raise my arm. It is slowly improving but still very sore. I will never have it again.

Comment from: Tracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am HIV positive (25 Years) and was due for vaccination so I had the pneumococcal vaccination 13 on 04/11/16. It did not hurt at the time until 48 hours later I woke up at 4 am burning up, with nausea, and my neck and head pounding. So I took some Tylenol and later woke up feeling like I had been hit by a Mack truck. The injection site was on my stomach so, that area was on fire, with red and hard lump the size of a large egg. I went to urgent care and they drew a line around it and gave me antibiotics, told me to go home and if the area went over the line she drew, then go to the hospital. It is now the next day of antibiotics and the area has grown over the line and I feel horrible. I'm dreading the waiting at the emergency room feeling the way I do. All I can say is never again and I wish I would have read the stories of other people who have had this before getting it.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was advised to get the pneumococcal vaccination because I am due to start a course of methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis. The injection was very painful when it was given into my shoulder but it didn't get really bad until about 3 am. My shoulder was throbbing with pain. I couldn't move it without causing further pain. Definitely 10 on the pain scale.

Comment from: c6j, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

In late January 2016 I experienced acute urinary retention due to benign prostatic hyperplasia. I have had a Foley catheter now for about 6 weeks. I was also put on Flomax and finasteride. I will see my urologist in mid-March to see if the medicines have had some effect. If not it will be time, I hope, to plan for a TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) procedure.

Comment from: Beth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I chose to have pneumonia vaccine yesterday 3/1/16. I could not believe how sore the arm was. I took hot bath with Epsom salt last night and an Aleve. I am better today. I think in the long run it is worth it but the arm soreness is real! My home remedy worked pretty well as I could not turn on to that side in bed before the bath and Aleve. No other side effects thank goodness, so far.

Comment from: dreamer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I made the mistake of listening to my doctor and believed that the pneumococcal vaccination will be a little sore in the arm. Never again. I had fever of 100.3, chills, pain from head to toe over 10, useless arm, red, hot and itchy and very sore.

Comment from: Coco, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I asked my new family doctor what this pneumococcal vaccination shot was like because I had a tetanus shot a few years ago and had to go to physiotherapy for 6 months. She said because the shot goes into the muscle that yes, there would be a little redness. After a few hours my left arm was getting real sore and by the next day it was red right down to the elbow and back of the arm too. I could hardly move it also had the chills. Today is the 3rd day and it is still red but not as painful. This shot is a onetime vaccination.

Comment from: geezer, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 07

At my physician's advice I got the pneumococcal vaccination. I first had a large bruise-like area at the site of the shot. Subsequently arm pain extending to right wrist. Now, weeks later, arm is still sore and wrist hurts when the hand is used. I had shots during 20 years for all kinds of things, this is the worst reaction ever.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had a pneumococcal vaccine on November 24th, 2015. While in for my check-up doctor asked me if I wanted the shot, and I said ok. Had I known about the pain I was about to experience, I would never get it. My left arm started hurting about 5 hours after I got the shot. The pain was 10 on the scale 1 to 10. I was not able to sleep whole night because of pain. I was not able to move my arm at all. I called the doctor in the morning. I wanted to know why I was not told about side effects before I got the shot. They gave me information sheet on my way out of the office. Doctor told me to take 600 mg of Advil every six hours. That relieved the pain some. I will tell everyone I know about my experience. It is 2 days later, and I still don't have full use of my left arm. It is still painful. I will never again get any vaccine.

Comment from: Cat Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I received the Prevnar 13 pneumonia vaccine on Wednesday. It didn't bother me at first but 5 hours later, wow! I have had three rotator cuff surgeries since 2006, the side effects from this shot were déjà vu; felt like I was reliving my post surgeries days. I cannot lift my arm and the pain is a 10 (on a 1 to 10 scale). I got the flu vaccine a week before this and had just a very slight soreness, but this one I was in no way ready for! I am not sure how long this will last, but am concerned about losing my range of motion in my right arm. I volunteer at a school so I thought getting this vaccine was the right thing to do, not so sure now. Good luck to everyone who said 'yes' to this vaccine, what a negative experience!

Comment from: Marie-Christine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had an appointment to get my flu jab on Saturday 24th October 2015 at 10 am. I had the flu injection by a doctor, and I felt absolutely nothing, nor had any side effects. But then, I was ushered to another queue for a pneumonia vaccine. I was not really asked if I wanted it, was not checked in any way, or asked any questions, and before I knew it, someone injected the vaccine! I am over 65, and have had a lot of lung infections, and even got pulmonary embolism, so, think it might be a good decision after all, but, would have appreciated to have been asked, and warned about the painful shoulder which followed! Anyway, it is done, and if it works, it would be wonderful, as, not having to suffer all the chest infections I usually suffer every year lately.

Comment from: Sjw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had the pneumonia vaccine on 24/10/15 morning. My arm was not painful until I went to bed. I could not move my arm to undress, it was so painful, and I could not settle to sleep, took paracetamol and had to use a gel pad. I woke in the night and had to take another dose of paracetamol. Upper arm still hurts and I am wondering how long this will last! I never had pain like this before! I was invited to have the vaccine as I have just turned 65 with no health problems.

Comment from: MJoy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My doctor said I should get the pneumonia vaccine since I am 65. I got the injection on Tuesday, September 29. Several hours after receiving the injection I developed a very sore throat. Nearly a week later (I am writing this on Sunday, October 4th), I still have a sore throat, feel awful, and the injection site is very swollen, hard, black and blue and painful to the touch. Also, the injection hurt badly. I am so sorry I agreed to get this shot.

Comment from: Moxie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 31 and have a history of chronic asthma and I get bronchitis at least once a year. I was in the hospital for a pulmonary embolism, and right before I was discharged the nurse asked me if I wanted the pneumonia vaccine. I agreed, because my lungs are extremely vulnerable. I get flu shots every year, and those make my arm sore for a few days. But this shot, oh my goodness! I received no warning that it would hurt to the point I actually yelped like a dog; and I can take a fair amount of pain. My arm was sore for over a week, to the point that I considered going back to the hospital because I thought perhaps I had a bad reaction. The only shot I've gotten that was worse than the pneumonia vaccine is the tetanus shot. I feel it was right for me, given my medical history, but I'd also say, unless you are susceptible to lung problems/infections/have weak lungs, avoid it!

Comment from: Severe arm pain, Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I got the PCV 13 vaccine on 09/08/15 at noon, (nurse suggested the pneumococcal vaccination since I'm 67) and had a sore arm that afternoon which is normal with some vaccines. By 7 or 8 PM, I had severe pain in the arm and could hardly move it (7 or 8 on a scale of 10; felt like someone fired a rifle shot into my shoulder). I went to bed that way, could hardly flip the sheets with that arm). Pain started to subside by 2 or 3 AM, so I could move the arm. Next morning it subsided, though still sore all that day. Finally 2 days later it was much better, though still sore. The information sheet simply says a possible side effect is muscle pain; this was extreme. This vaccine should not be on the market. Should not have to take a pain killer after an immunization.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: August 18

I'm a 59 male who received the shot during a general practitioner's (GP) visit. I wasn't aware there even was pneumonia shots available, but the GP office asked a couple of times if I wanted one, so I agreed. GP made no mention of side effects. Now, 4 days later, I still have muscle soreness in the shoulder where I received the shot. The first night I couldn't sleep because of the soreness. In my opinion, those not susceptible to pneumonia should take a pass on this vaccination.

Comment from: Asolimi, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

Let me start off by saying I'm a firm believer in the benefits of vaccination and I don't go around looking for reasons to criticize vaccines in general. Having said that, at my yearly physical yesterday my general physician said that since I just turned 65 I should get the pneumonia vaccine (long history of sinus issues and allergies). All I can say is, post injection pain described by others is real! My shoulder is extremely sore, though it hasn't progressed out of the shoulder area so I've got that going for me.

Comment from: ouch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My doctor suggested the pneumococcal vaccination, even though I am only 55. I got it at 9 am Monday and by 6 pm I could barely move my arm. By 3 am I was in a cab to the emergency room with a fever, chills, bad headache and extreme pain in my shoulder. They gave me some pain pills and ice packs. That was Tuesday morning. Now it is Wednesday and I have developed chest pain when I breathe. They x-rayed my chest and found a nodule that I now will have a CT scan for. I would not go through this again.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I am a healthy and active 67 year old. I have never had pneumonia or any respiratory illnesses. Because of my age my doctor urged me to get the immunization. Later in the day a hard lump developed at the site with severe pain to the touch. It's been over a week and though the swelling has decreased, touching the site continues to be extremely painful. The doctor said to ice or use moist heat. I am regretting having gotten the shot.

Comment from: YDQ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I took the pneumonia vaccine shot because the pulmonary specialist is not sure if I have asthma or not, trying to rule out COPD, and blood clots. After I took the shot I developed a bruise that went around the injection site. Then I had muscle aches all over and fever. It also feels like there is a bubble in my upper right side and it hurts to move especially in the morning. And trying to cough up phlegm is especially hard, it is stuck, and hurts when trying to cough, and it hurts to sneeze as well. About 3 days after the injection, my kidneys were hurting for 2 days. I still feel sicker than I did before the shot.

Comment from: Sarajane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am very athletic, fit, and 65 years old. In the past as a kindergarten teacher I had bronchitis and then pneumonia twice. Now that I am retired, it is not a problem. However, when my doctor suggested the pneumonia vaccine, knowing my sensitivity to medicines, I agreed. I was awakened out of a sound sleep with excruciating pain in my rotator cuff area (I had rotator cuff surgery 10 years ago) and was unable to move my arm without extreme pain. The pain traveled down my arm and then into my back during the following day. I have been unable to sit, lie down, or walk since the morning, and my arm hangs at my side useless. The doctor on call just tells me to take Tylenol or go to the emergency room. I called the office today, and they were not concerned. I am!

Comment from: anklyodude, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

My doctor convinced me to get the pneumococcal vaccination due to me being on Humira (an immune system suppressor) for my ankylosing spondylitis. I just received part two today. The first shot I had extreme pain in my shoulder and thought maybe the technician just missed the shot. However only hours after receiving the booster, my arm is again in excruciating pain, but I also now have severe armpit pain as well. Unless you are 65, I would not get it, then again I'm not a doctor. Ouch.

Comment from: MBailey, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I had pneumococcal vaccination done as I am in a high risk group (weakened immune system). I have a slight fever and muscle aches all round. But it is to stop me getting things that are severely life threatening so I will cope. I really need to say you have a few side effects (even if they are unpleasant) for a few days, to stop you getting something that could potentially kill you. You will get over it.

Comment from: kfred, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I got the pneumococcal vaccine while in the hospital after angioplasty and I will never get it again. About 5 hours after getting the shot I woke up to severe arm pain from my shoulder down to my fingertips. So severe that I went back to the emergency room (ER) worried it was a blood clot or heart attack from my stent surgery. ER said it was a hematoma from the shot. I don't know about that but it is day 3 of shot and now I am on heavy pain killers due to not being able to lift my arm and pain like I have never felt. Be careful when getting this shot.

Comment from: Granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was in the hospital for pneumonia and when I went for my follow up the following week I got the booster shot for pneumonia. I have a low immune system from my Remicade. I started experiencing a horrible pain in my arm. They all say that's because of my low immune system. It has been 2 1/2 weeks and they said it could last up to 4 weeks. I've had many illnesses but this arm really hurts. I can't take ibuprofen because of my stomach and Tylenol doesn't really help. So I've been rubbing Bengay and heating pad. It helps some but I still have pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I got the pneumococcal vaccination as I am coeliac. Shortly after, my arm became very sore and during the night I had trouble sleeping with the pain.

Comment from: MCMik, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I too had a swollen arm at the injection site and sore arm for a few days. But, having had pneumonia and being hospitalized for it, I will stand for that any day. Pneumonia is not a fun thing to have and I must say it has helped me through the cold and flu seasons without getting anything. I guess we have to suffer with the pain!

Comment from: retired professional, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Encouraged by my general physician I had the pneumococcal vaccine in November 2014. Not only did the injection hurt at the time of administration, but now, 3 months later, I am still experiencing considerable pain in the region of my biceps muscle. As a female, I experience pain when I reach round to fasten my bra and when I pick up my grandson. By all means listen to your doctor's advice, but inform yourself about the possible side effects of various treatments.

Comment from: DQ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I am a 43 year old female. I went to my doctor for a sinus infection and was told that because I am diabetic I needed the flu and pneumonia shots. I got one in each arm. The site of the pneumonia shot is swollen, hot and extremely painful. I have spent the better part of 3 days in bed feeling miserable. Glad I won't need this again for 20 years!

Comment from: hatmon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I just had the pneumococcal vaccination on December 2nd. I'm 59 years old with a history of open heart surgery (heart anomaly), breast cancer which resulted in a mastectomy, and a defibrillator. I never had this shot before, but now I am experiencing a swollen upper left arm, with pain radiating toward my fingertips, where I already have an issue with carpal tunnel in my thumb. I feel slightly dizzy, and not myself at all.

Comment from: Benz Jones, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 70 1/2 and in very good health. My doctor suggested I take the pneumonia vaccine on Monday in my left shoulder muscle. I had severe pain in my left shoulder within an hour after the injection, my shoulder has been frozen with severe pain even without moving, and I have fever over 100 degrees. I felt awful! I went back to the doctor yesterday to find out what happened. He said I had an unusual reaction to the shot. Last night my fever broke and I awoke to a sweat drenched bed and pillow. Today is Wednesday and I still cannot fully move my shoulder, the pain has not gone away. My fever is less, I'm taking Tylenol 750 mg (I cannot take NSAIDS or aspirin due to allergies). I hope this works, I'll never take another one! Not even a booster! Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and my family has to go out to eat because I am unable to cook.

Comment from: comraderie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

At about 1700 yesterday I received the flu vaccine in my left arm and the new Pneumovax vaccine in my right arm. I am a 62 year old female. Even though I had already had the pneumonia vaccine several years ago, because I have asthma, I was urged to repeat it as there is a new, improved vaccine. I developed severe pain in my right arm by 23:30 and have been awake most of the night because of it. If it keeps me from developing pneumonia, it is well worth any temporary pain. I think I should have been warned about the potential severe pain, so I would have been prepared for it. The patient information with possible side effects mentions a possible sore shoulder. What an understatement. Again, pneumonia is terrible and dangerous, so if your doctor believes you will benefit, go ahead and get it. By the way, the flu shot site is painless.

Comment from: SQWRL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011 with a recurrence in my lymph nodes in 2013. I am in remission now but my oncologist has me get a flu shot every year. This year she added a pneumonia shot. I got the flu shot in my right arm and the pneumonia shot in my right buttock cheek. Right after I received the shot I had to sit down because I was feeling dizzy. After drinking something and having a snack I felt okay to drive home. The next day I began running a fever and the injection site on my buttock cheek was the size of a softball. Over the next 3 days my temperature was as high as 104 degrees. I had extreme chills and horrible pain. No problems with the flu shot however. My fever is finally under control but the welt on my rear end is still huge and extremely painful. I have been alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol but is doesn't seem to even make a dent in the pain.

Comment from: Hailey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My new doctor strongly suggested the pneumonia shot. Later that day I was and still am in so much pain that I could barely walk. My arm is swollen and lower right back became terribly painful also. I can barely move. I have to give a lecture today and I cannot cancel or I'd spend the day in bed.

Comment from: Grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had the pneumonia vaccine last Thursday. Eight hours later I could hardly move my arm. The pain is very severe, all the way down to the wrist. It is not a typical post vaccine ache. It is a throbbing pain and it is continuous unless I'm sitting very still. I care for my husband who is ill and this vaccine has made it very difficult. This is the 6th day post vaccine and I still have pain. Never again!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I received the pneumonia shot on the advice of my doctor. I had a very bad reaction which turned out to be an infection. My arm turned very sore and red and was hot to touch. I had to go on antibiotics for 7 days. I reported the reaction to the Vaccination Adverse Reaction Reporting System.

Comment from: Caligirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

My doctor suggested pneumonia vaccine since I work with children and my husband has cancer. Injection did not hurt really at all going in but I could feel the liquid going into my arm. Within 2 hours I started feeling sick, headache, burping up vomit. I was light headed and arm was getting sorer by the hour. It hurt so much I laid down and stayed still so it could be tolerated and just fell asleep. Next day after a very long sleep it still hurt constantly but was more tolerable. Talked to nurse friend and she said that the person must have injected it deep into my muscle instead of the fat. It's been a day and half, still hot, a little less painful, and feels a bit hard. But overall I don't feel sick. No pain, no gain.

Comment from: Midgetlegs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I'm 26 and asthmatic. My doctor didn't really give me a choice. I probably would have said yes to the pneumonia vaccine because of the asthma. Anyway, it's the only vaccine I've had that really hurts. It's red, swollen and super tender.

Comment from: Christine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I am a 67 year old female. I saw my family doctor today for a yearly checkup. In 2010, I had a total colectomy with end ileostomy due to ulcerative proctitis of twelve year duration. I let her talk me into the pneumonia vaccine... finally; because when I saw her last year I flat out refused the vaccine. Well, I should have held my ground. I received the vaccine at 9:30 am, by 4 pm I started getting achy and tired. It is now 7:30 pm and I cannot raise my left arm and am running low grade fever. On a scale of 1 - 10, the pain in my left shoulder is a 9. Why did I ever get this shot!

Comment from: Kat05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I'm so shocked at the pain in my arm and how awful I feel after this pneumonia vaccine. I got it yesterday and feel even worse tonight. My arm really hurts, I'm nauseous and feel dizzy and hot flashing. I"m 32 and I have had cancer twice and had a stem cell transplant and wiped all my vaccines out, and my immune system is not so great now so I got a few vaccines at once, but this is the only one I had never had.

Comment from: CanAussie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had the shot of pneumonia vaccine at age 48 as I seem to get colds that eventuate into pneumonia. I had none of the side effects that others have mentioned.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a 20 year old healthy female. My doctor told me I needed the pneumococcal vaccination shot and basically forced it. I had bronchitis once when I was 18/19 but that"s the most severe sickness I"ve had. About 3 hours after the injection, I had such severe muscle pain I cried! It went from where I got the shot close to my left shoulder, to severe pain in my whole arm, back and a lump under my armpit. There were red splotches by it that went to my back. I also have a virus infection and was told afterwards I was too young and sick to have gotten it in the first place! I took a Benadryl and that helped immensely, and I iced the spot through the day at least 20 minutes per icing period. All I have to say is unless you"re 65 or older as the warning says, please do not put yourself through it.

Comment from: CC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 39 years old and yesterday I was talked into the pneumonia vaccine by my new general practitioner. I am assuming that is because I have seasonal allergies and occasionally use an inhaler. Last night I began feeling extreme soreness that started at the injection sight and then shot down my arm, throbbing all the way to my fingertips. The worst of it is the severe underarm pain. My armpit hurts to the touch and is throbbing when sitting still. The pain was so severe I couldn"t sleep. My doctor claims that she"s never heard of anyone having such pain before other than mild soreness. I am now concerned about what exactly is in my body and how it is really going to affect me.

Comment from: disappointed!, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had pneumonia twice along with a lot of other chronic illness over the years, especially since my college age years. I was tested for allergies 2 years ago and was doing well with just a prescription medication until I changed jobs in July. Since then, I"ve had chronic infections and illness like sinus infections that couldn"t be cleared up. My allergist had blood work ordered and found I had low immunity to fight streptococcus and pneumonia infections. He suggested I get the shot. It has been three days and it is horrible! My arm was extremely sore within a few hours and by the next day, I could not even barely move it. I was red, hot, swollen, with a hard knot and painful to the slightest touch. I"ve been asleep and lethargic with chills and aches all over. My stomach felt icky and I had no appetite as well. I"ve taken ibuprofen, but am not really feeling much better.

Comment from: achrisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had the vaccine today. I'm 40 and have polycystic kidney disease and asthma. I have had pneumonia the last three winters. Each time it has taken me 6 to 8 weeks to recover. My arm is not sore, and I feel fine. Even if it was sore, and I felt terrible I would still do it again. Luckily I won't have to have another until after I'm 65.

Comment from: Goben, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I decided to get the pneumococcal vaccination because I am convinced that the pneumonia vaccine is very important for a sustainable and healthy life; especially when you are 65 years old. But everybody should be advised of the serious muscular pain developed by almost every person after receiving the shot.

Comment from: Cathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I received the pneumococcal vaccine on November 4, 2015. Within one week I had severe joint pain in my foot, ankles, knees and hips. The joint pain lasted more than seven weeks! I thought I might have developed some kind of systemic arthritis so I went to the doctor. He said it was a side effect of the vaccine. There is clearly insufficient information provided to patients receiving this vaccine. While I know the benefits outweigh the side effects, I was unprepared for the length of the side effects which finally vanished after nearly two months.

Comment from: StealthKat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I received the pneumonia and flu shot both in my right shoulder yesterday, 9.10.15. About an hour or so after the shot I began to have a great deal of pain in my shoulder and it swelled up, got really red and then hard. I started to ache all over and then by last night I had 102 fever. I have been sick all day with a lot of pain in my shoulder. I now have red spots all over my arm and on my face, neck and chest. My fever went up to 102.6 this afternoon. I have been putting ice packs on my forehead, and back of my neck and hips. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have had surgery on my neck and low back and these areas always hurt the most during a fever. I have been in bed all day pretty much except at this moment I am typing off my cell phone. I called the doctor and she said this is normal. I wasn't really warned that it could get this bad. My throat hurts and I have been nauseous. It is 4:40 pm today and I am still running a fever at 102. I am not sure if I should go into the emergency room tomorrow if I still have this fever and this pain.

Comment from: Gisela, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I got the PPSV23 pneumonia vaccine yesterday during my annual check-up (got the PCV13 vaccine a couple of years ago) and my arm hurts an awful lot. I wasn't able to sleep last night, I never have had any pain with any vaccinations.

Comment from: Ladyjmnass, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am 54 years old and had the pneumonia vaccine a month ago. My left arm still aches from the injection spot all the way up to my shoulder and down to my elbow. I cannot lift anything heavy and the ache is so bad I still sometimes cry from it. The doctor's office claims they have never heard of such a thing before. I did not have any trouble with that arm before the shot and all the pain radiates from the injection spot.

Comment from: cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am shocked at severe arm pain after a pneumococcal vaccination! It literally felt like broken arm. Pain began about 2 hours after injection, getting worse throughout night. No amount of narcotics or sedatives touched the pain. I was in tears all night and by 5:30 am I went to the emergency room. The doctor said the injection was placed way too high up, piercing structures including bone. I was given a steroid shot which calmed things down a bit. It has been 3 days and not much improvement, impossible to lift arm, I must use other arm to move injected arm.

Comment from: Earthmummy, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My husband who has COPD, got pneumonia and after he recovered he got the shot and he got so sick I thought we would have to hospitalize him. He has been on oxygen 24 hours a day ever since. He does use O2 for walks and sleeping normally. He got a rash on his arm and back of his neck, night sweats, headache and a cough so bad he pulled a chest muscle. I think he was just so weak for the pneumonia that the shot was given to soon. I asked the doctor if it was too soon and he said no. I not all sure he was right. Be very healthy before this vaccine, would be my advice.

Comment from: Confused, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had pneumonia and pleurisy in Jan this year and I was in hospital for ages and off work just as long. Eight months later I got pleurisy again which I am just recovering from, again time off work. My doctor suggested I get the pneumococcal injection to prevent this happening again so often. I am not asthmatic, nor did I have lung issues or even a cold prior to getting the pneumonia the first time. It came so sudden without warning. On reading all these side effects, some long term, I am now worried about getting this injection tomorrow. I have just recovered from the longest period of pleurisy as I say which came only 8 months after pneumonia and pleurisy that kept me in hospital for ages. My temperature was up to 41.9 and I almost died twice. As much as that period was horrible I am now thinking the pneumococcal injection is worse. There seems to be more people who had issues with it than not. I am 48 years old and otherwise healthy. I am so confused now.

Comment from: pat17082, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I decided to get the pneumonia vaccine because I had just killed off a bout of some unknown lung infection and never want to go through that again (with the pleurisy for weeks, as well...very painful) and I'm 63 1/2. I'm thinking it's one of the best things I can do for myself, together with the flu vaccine and the shingles-prevention vaccine I got as soon as I turned 60 (that's the suggested age for the shingles vac.) My pneumonia vaccine was a little sore at the injection site, but went away within the day. I'm wondering if I'll need a booster in five years since I wasn't 65 at my 1st pneum. vaccine. Since I'm only 1 1/2 years away, what do you think? Get your vaccination...it may save your life, down the road.

Comment from: Patricia, Scotland, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I am a healthy, active 71 year old and allowed the doctor giving the flu jab to persuade me to have the pneumonia vaccine. I asked if there were side effects as I am travelling four hundred miles in a couple of days time. I was told I might have a sore arm for a day. I was in agony all night when the pain in my shoulder started 8 hours after the injection. It was a worse pain than the frozen shoulder I had years ago. It was difficult to even brush my hair as the injection was in my right arm. Have dosed myself with Ibuprofen in the hope that the pain subsides.

Comment from: Annputty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I got the pneumonia vaccine because I am 65 and Medicare suggests that I get it. The day after my arm was swollen and I had terrible chills. My temperature rose to 101.9. I was aching all over and my arm hurt all the way down to my hand. The next day my arm was very red, hot and swollen below the injection site. I hope to never receive this shot again. It has been 4 days and my arm is still red and hot.

Comment from: sagewiser, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

The pneumococcal vaccination shot given Monday morning grew to a red welt covering whole upper arm; 8 inches by 7 inches at best measurement. It was red, hot, hard and painful and itchy; not what was ever mentioned on hand outs. I had night sweats for 2 nights with some chills. And they want me to get a second pneumonia shot in 1 year! It is day 5 and am still suffering. This is the worst response I've ever had to any shot or medication. I tried ice, tried heating pad, used Aspercreme, arnica, and Tiger balm; nothing helped. If this is the kind of stuff that passes FDA testing then I am done with their new magic solutions.

Comment from: Larry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I have suffered with extreme pain in my right shoulder and arm ever since receiving this shot. I can barely lift my arm and sleep is difficult. I will never get this shot again.

Comment from: Bill, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 25

This is the worst continuous pain I have ever experienced! If the medical personnel had informed me of what to expect after a pneumococcal vaccination, I most definitely would not have had the shot. Having 650 mg of Tylenol did not even touch the pain.

Comment from: soienoir, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I received the pneumococcal vaccination in November 2015 and I am still experiencing pain in my upper left arm. The pain is so bad that it has traveled to my wrist.

Comment from: Pablo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

My left arm post pneumococcal vaccination 13 is so sore and a long red patch. I threw up last night after the 2nd day of receiving this vaccine. I really do not think I would do it again!

Comment from: martennis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Unless you absolutely need a pneumonia shot I would stay far away from it. My arm got bright red, was swollen and I couldn't move it. Ended up in the emergency room and was diagnosed with cellulitis which I got from the injection. I had a high fever and chills and was sick for days. I needed antibiotics.

Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am 73 years old female. I received the Prevnar 13 shot a month ago and am still experiencing pain in my upper left shoulder bicep muscle. The pain varies from moderate to severe depending on my level of activity and makes it hard to sleep. No one warned me about this possible side effect. I am just hoping it goes away some day but it shows no sign of doing so.

Comment from: Joy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm glad the pneumonia vaccine is a once in a lifetime need because I would never take another. I didn't sleep because of the severe pain in my arm. It is reddened and swollen and 3 days later still hurts badly. I am a healthy 72 year old retired nurse.

Comment from: sunflower, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I was given the pneumonia Injection (Prevnar 13) 3 days ago, I didn't know there would be terrible side effects. I have had pain in my arm for days, joint pain, limitation of arm movement and I couldn't go to work. I think I made a big mistake and this is the first part of the injection. I can't function, I am a young 69 female and I feel like I am 80.

Comment from: Jenny, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

My husband had a shingles jab and a pneumonia jab in the same arm. That night he was crying with pain. The next day his arm had swollen up. Another visit to the doctor to be told he had an infection, he now has 8 antibiotic tablets a day to take. After day 2 on the tablets he is now feeling much better. I don't think I will bother with any of these shots!

Comment from: JPBTampa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I took the PPSV (pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine) vaccine yesterday at a local pharmacy. I am 60 year old, healthy male. May be one of worst decisions I've ever made. I can hardly move my arm. I have alternating cold sweats and hot flashes. Feels like I have severe flu (perfectly fine yesterday). Just awful.

Comment from: J lomax, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had the pneumonia jab on 5/1/2015. My arm is painful to the touch. I am glad it is only every 5 years.

Comment from: Brittanyfells, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I am 13 years old with a pilonidal cyst. I had a large amount of pain and I went to the ER last night. They gave me two shots in the hips to try to stop the infection, and gave me strong medication. However the next day there was a small bubble. Now I cannot lie down. Tomorrow I will get it drained painfully. The ER doctor said he didn't want to drain it and that it will be like torture. In my perspective this should not happen, they should at least put you to sleep to get it drained and not have the person deal with this. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Livelong, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I am a healthy 65 year old female. I got the pneumonia vaccine at 10:30 am and by 6:30 pm my arm started aching. By 7 pm I could not move my left arm. I woke up at 4 am in severe pain and feeling nauseous. I got into a tree frog posture with my head between my legs. At 7:45 am my husband took me to the emergency room. The doctor said I would be fine in 24 hours. He prescribed a muscle relaxant and ibuprofen (600 mg). I had to cancel all my appointments today. Had I known about this side effect, I would have cleared my schedule first.

Comment from: Pain in muscle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I just received my first pneumococcal vaccination 2 days ago. But the arm is so sore, I have never had pain from a flu shot like this. I try to keep using my arm to work out the pain. But, it's not working. My arms aren't flabby, they are pretty firm. But now I am using Blue Ice to make the pain less. Thank goodness it is only a 10 year shot. Too busy for this kind a pain.

Comment from: Concernedmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

My 13 year old was given my adult pneumonia vaccine by mistake from our pharmacist (was supposed to get the flu shot). I had wanted the pneumonia shot for myself because of my cancer history.

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had the shot yesterday because I am almost 65.

Comment from: julia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was given the pneumococcal vaccine at a routine Medicare Physical on August 15, 2013.

Comment from: berthatheblues, 65-74 Female Published: March 08

It will be two months since I had the pneumonia vaccine. I have been in pain which radiates from my shoulder down to my joints in my hand. I went to the doctor because I couldn't move my arm for two weeks. It is as though the shot has affected my joints.

Comment from: Birddog, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

This is my second pneumonia vaccine and for the second time, it is horrible. The pain is awful. Even if I am not moving my arm it is a 7 out of 10 on the pain scale. When I move my arm it is a 10. I remember this from last time. I hope to never ever, ever have to get it again. I am 34 and got it for recurrent pneumothorax.

Comment from: Jade, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had my spleen removed while having a pancreatectomy and so had to have the vaccine. I had no side effects. After what I have read here, I am thankful. I'll be needing my booster soon and I'm glad it is not something to dread for me.

Comment from: Jodina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I received the pneumonia shot in 2005 because I had pneumonia two times before. However, I came down with double-pneumonia in December on Christmas Day, and can't understand why I wasn't protected by the vaccine. I was one sick puppy, and when I asked the doctor why I got pneumonia, he sort of avoided the question. It is frustrating to me as I am older now and cannot fight off illnesses as well as I once could.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: January 07

What if some of the pneumonia vaccine got on my skin while getting the injection, would the side effects be worse? Not sure that happened, but my injection point was like everyone else has said, swollen, red and a hard knot . But also there was a dark spot in the center, at first, I thought it was a bruise. It's been a month and the swelling and redness is almost gone and the black center, is now has a scab. It was not a bruise. Anyone ever heard of this happening? I was wondering if maybe some of the vaccine got on my arm and caused the scab?

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I do not have a spleen and had to get this as a prevention, second one in the last 12 years. I was on a flight two hours after the shot and by the time i landed I could not raise my arm above my shoulder. I am now in the hotel bed with a fever and the worst pain in my arm.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I got the vaccine so as to reduce the risk of transmitting the disease to my elderly mother. I'm 55 and healthy as a horse. The vaccine site began itching soon afterward and now after about 6 months my entire left arm is itching. I can't swear cause and effect, but I'll never get another vaccine if I can help it. Especially after reading of all these other reactions.

Comment from: Traz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I am a 47 year old female with psoriatic arthritis. I was diagnosed in October. They put me on methotrexate which suppresses my immune system. I was told I needed the flu shot and the pneumonia shot. I got them both done yesterday. The flu shot was fine but the pneumonia shot hurt the second it went in. In the night it hurt from the top of my shoulder to the tip of my ring finger. It really hurt and I couldn't sleep all night. It's now one o'clock in the afternoon and it hurts, but not as bad as last night. No fever or chills. I think I'll get out of bed and see how it goes.

Comment from: Ice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have had pneumonia a couple of times in the past three years so I decided I might need this vaccine. My arm is so red and sore. I have had chills, fever, body aches, and sore throat for two days, this is day three and I am starting to feel better, I don't think I will get the vaccine again.

Comment from: whatimmunesystem?, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I received the vaccine yesterday to help test for immune disorders. I have kidney, sinus, intestinal and other issues. I'm relieved to read that others have endured the same sorts of things that I'm experiencing. Along with increasingly debilitating arm pain I'm experiencing body stiffness, a sore throat, mouth sores, headaches and body temp issues. Good to know that this is semi-normal and I'll survive, even if this is not fun.

Comment from: susan 22, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

I recived the shot today because my lung bleeds and it vary hard for me to fight off infection. I have been on 3 sets of pills last year for pneumonia. I do not wish pneumonia on any one with lung problems. The shot has my arm sore with a bump on it Under my arm is really sore. But that beats being so sick that I can't get out of bed.

Comment from: 57yearOld, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was advised to get the vaccine as I had been hospitalized with pneumonia 17 yrs. earlier. Within an hour of the shot I got a fever, sinus congestion, and headache. I spent the next day in bed, asleep. I am not convinced I will get a booster.

Comment from: bj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I got the pneumonia vaccine because I am 65 and I have asthma. I had an unusual reaction, with severe pain in the arm injected, so much that I could not raise my arm without even more pain, fever, chills and headache. The worst pain subsided in under 12 hours with the aid of ibuprofen. I still think the vaccine is worth having. Pneumonia would be far worse.

Comment from: Twinmom219, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had Hodgkin's Disease 20 years ago. My spleen was removed. I am now 50 years old. I get this vaccine every 5 years and have never had any of the side effects others are describing.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I got the pneumococcal vaccination on Sept. 9 and then again, by mistake, on Oct. 24. I came down with fever, swelling, aches from the waist up and an arm as hard as a manikin. Can this reaction be explained by my having gotten a second vaccination?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I'm 53 years old and I got the shot because I get bronchitis every year. It turns into pneumonia each time. I was tired for two days and my arm was achy but I think it will pay off in the long run.

Comment from: ljfentton, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 22

If a patient gets a Rhogam injection in the hospital after delivery, and the pneumonia vaccine is suggested--should she get that also?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter