Patient Comments: Pleurisy - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Rick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I received my kidney from unrelated person. Right after surgery the new kidney worked great. Two months later it stopped working, but the kidney is still good. The kidney doctor says it's because of my heart (had heart transplant 20 years earlier). Heart doctor says heart is fine. I can't be on transplant, because kidney is still good. Not working, but still good.

Comment from: Sylnorton, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Dealing with pleurisy is a challenge because the patient may not appear to be sick, but is experiencing sharp pain with every breath! Not to mention it also it causes fatigue and keeps a person housebound. This can go on for weeks.

Comment from: Darlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I have severe pain in my right upper quadrant, I thought it was a broken rib. I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with pleural effusion. After 8 weeks I am still in severe pain. It is worse with physical activity. All I can take because of other issues is Tylenol. I have had some people say to give it 6 months!

Comment from: Daisygirlnc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had blinding pain that literally left me moaning out load. I had the flu which got progressively worse and developed into pleurisy.

Comment from: country1paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I was told by a physician 19 years ago that I have pleurisy. He told me to take an anti-inflammatory when it flares up. So that it what I do. Thing is that, now when it flares up it is much more painful. Aleve is the only thing that helps the pain. Unless I go to the doctor and get prescription naproxen. It is painful. It is in my back on the left side. It's scary. I took Aleve today. If it doesn't get better I will go to the emergency room (ER). It does not hurt in the front, just in my back. It is very painful with any movement. If I move I cry.

Comment from: Unluckyguy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I've gotten strep throat twice in my life, this time being the second. I've had it for about 5 days now, and haven't gotten antibiotics because I lack insurance like the irresponsible young adult that I am. For the first four days the pain in my throat even while not swallowing was decently agonizing, and swallowing felt to me like broken glass was sliding down my throat. Just last night I was finally able to rest and am feeling slightly better. My advice is if you think you may have strep, definitely go to a doctor and get something to help; it's definitely not worth going through without medicine. I certainly won't make this mistake again.

Comment from: Vickie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a cardiac lymphoma removed and they had to deflate my right lung to get to it. It has been 5 years and I still have pain in the right upper quadrant when I turn my upper body to the right or the left. I think it might be because of pleurisy.

Comment from: country1paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was told by a physician 19 years ago that I have pleurisy. He told me to take an anti-inflammatory when it flares up. So that it what I do. Thing is that now when it flares up it is much more painful. Aleve is the only thing that helps the pain. Unless I go to the doctor and get prescription Naproxen. It is painful. It is in my back on the left side. It's scary. I took Aleve today. If it doesn't get better I will go to the emergency room (ER). If I move I cry.

Comment from: reginahughes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Dealing with pleurisy now, may I say it's the worst pain I've ever felt! Coughing feels like being stuck in the ribs with a knife. I put this right up there with labor on the pain scale, if you were having a natural childbirth. Pain medications haven't helped, nor the three rounds of antibiotics. I've been dealing with this for two weeks and feel like it is getting worse instead of better.

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had pain on inspiration and a rattling in my lung one could palpate with your hand. I had pain on inspiration, shortness of breath, cough, and hiccoughs, the latter especially when tired. Initially 400 ml was drained but since then it has been stable with small effusion. I have a recent recurrence of supposed pleurisy pain, and shortness of breath with exertion most noticeable. I have occasional cough.

Comment from: kathleen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was told I had pleurisy, it's very painful. I have pain in the right ribs from back to front for 2 weeks, now I'm on pain medications. And I've worked the whole time so I think this has made it worse because now it's a stinging sharp pain in the ribs when I move. I had CAT scan and x-ray done. I am just hoping it gets better.

Comment from: squirganaut, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was just released from the hospital today after a few days of treatment for pleurisy. I had worsening left-sided pain in my chest, arm and back and went to the emergency room. I had decreased breath sounds in the left lung, and a chest X-ray and CT scan showed pleural effusion. While in the emergency room, the pain was so bad, I could barely breathe and they gave me morphine. Pleurisy often follows some sort of infection, but I hadn't been sick. They did a lot of blood work to look for different illnesses including lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. They've been giving me 600mg Motrin four times a day and today added in a Medrol pack. I am feeling much better than I did in the emergency room, but I still get short of breath and have pain when the medication wears off.

Comment from: Mrskbc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had pleural effusion (the kind with liquid in the lining of the lung, not the dry rubbing kind). This happened to me around 15 years ago when I was barely 30. I don't remember a gradual increase in symptoms, but I woke up one morning and it hurt to sit up. I laid back down and went back to sleep for a while. I thought I must have slept funny. But later that morning, I was unable to even get out of bed because of the sharp stabbing pains in my chest, especially on the left side. I couldn't get a deep breath. It hurt worst when I tried to move. I was home alone and waited it out for a long time but finally had to call an ambulance. It was agonizing even having them move me. I must have had it really a lot worse than most people on here, because when they were done diagnosing, imaging, etc., it turned out that I had one collapsed lung (due to the quantity of fluid) and only partial capacity in the other. I was hospitalized for almost two weeks and had fluid drained by aspirating two different times, one of which was nearly a month after the initial incident. I have a slight feeling in my lung again now, 14 years later, that I suspect is pleurisy again, but apparently there is not much to be done anyway but wait for it to clear up, unless it gets a lot worse like it was for me last time.

Comment from: Cindy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

It's been 8 months since I was diagnosed with pleurisy. I had sharp pain, shortness of breath and got exhausted easily. I had fever throughout the time I had pleurisy (1 month). It took an additional month to heal. But I still get upper back pain every so often.

Comment from: pleurisy sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have never had pleurisy before. It started out with back pain and I could feel a slight increase in back pain with breathing. I went to my physiotherapist who tried to fix me and gave me exercises to do. The next day I started to develop pain in my left chest area and it seemed to be worse with movement so I didn't think it was a heart attack. The physiotherapist thought it might be the exercises so I stopped doing them. The pain got so bad, it was similar to the time I closed the car door on my finger but with each breath over and over 20 times a minute. I could only take shallow breaths without extreme pain and it was getting hard to talk as I was gasping for air with each breath. I went to the emergency room (ER) where they did chest x-ray, blood work and EKG and found out that it wasn't a clot, or a heart attack. They gave me a muscle relaxant, and Naprosyn which ended up being the right treatment. I went back to the physiotherapist and he checked and told me no way is this muscle or bone related and he thought it might be pleurisy, so I went to my family doctor who thought he might be right and talked to a physician friend of mine who agrees, and I am having less pain. I found out it is good to try and breathe as deeply as possible to keep the little air sacs open in the bottom of your lungs as they can collapse slightly and you can get pneumonia if you don't have it already. There is a dry type, likely either a virus or from an underlying cause such as TB, cancer, auto immune disease, or the wet kind, a bacteria where you are sick before the pleurisy begins with a chest infection. That type requires antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory like Naprosyn, ibuprofen, or a steroid; the dry type, just an anti-inflammatory and time.

Comment from: Creolefromtheheart, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I first had Pleurisy two years ago almost to the date. I had a stabbing pain in my back that was worst when I took a deep breath. I was in so much pain I couldn't even move. I went to the hospital where they did hundreds of tests and two days later they still sent me home in pain not telling me what was wrong. I went to another hospital where they said I needed to have a bowel movement, which was wrong. I then went to my long time family doctor who told me I had pleurisy and explained everything.

Comment from: vickie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Hi I'm a 53 year old female. I've had pleurisy for 5 weeks. I started out with a bad sinus infection. I started having real sharp pains in my back between my shoulder blades. I thought pleurisy was only around rib cage but the sharp pains went from back through the front of my chest. I worked every day for 5 weeks in severe pain. I had 3 steroid shots and 3 rounds of antibiotics. The doctor said the reason I can't get better is because I haven't rested. So now I'm finally going to rest and hopefully I will get better, but I am so tired now. I hope nobody else ever has pleurisy it is a very painful thing to have!

Comment from: twon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

I've had shingles. Pleurisy is by far more painful and makes you think you are having a heart attack.

Comment from: Bob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 11

With pleurisy I have sharp pains in my right rib cage especially when I lay down to sleep.

Comment from: AshP, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm dealing with my 5th bout of pleurisy and pretty miserable this time around. The 1st time, I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack and tests revealed the culprit. In my experience, a big dose of prednisone, a humidifier or nebulizer treatments (depending on the underlying cause) and a good cough syrup help. Further blood work revealed I have lupus which explains why I keep getting it so easily.

Comment from: ToriJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had no idea I had pleurisy. I thought only people in third-world countries got that. So I guess I had it for a while but it made my SVT really bad so I went to the hospital. The pain was really under my shoulder blade in the back. They gave me some morphine, which really helped and I got four days of rest in the hospital and two days at home, so that helped me get better.

Comment from: rebecca, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had pleurisy. I went to the ER and they told me I was just having muscle spasms. I went to my doctor and she diagnosed me with pleurisy, sent me back to the hospital, and I caught mono and strep. The pain from the pleurisy was very painful. It felt like my ribs, chest, and back were ripping apart. On top of that, the mono and strep made it worse.

Comment from: johanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I woke up, sat up, then suddenly had excruciating pain in my left lung. It felt like a knife in my chest or I had broken a rib. In the ER I was told I had shingles and gave me Morphine and an anti-viral drug. I returned the next day because it felt like it had gotten worse. I got an X-ray and an EKG. I was then diagnosed with pleurisy and given Vicodin until it subsided, which was about 2 weeks. But now I have profuse sweating at times and extreme tiredness. So much so that I can't be awake longer than 3 hours.

Comment from: Heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

Extremely sharp pain towards back and side when inhaling/exhaling deeply. Very sore in chest area. Also, had the internal "rubbing" sensation and sounds. Sleep was nearly impossible. My pleurisy is a result of having had surgery 5 mos. ago for lung cancer. (Female, age 40)

Comment from: Blossom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I was just diagnosed with Pleurisy, the pain was keeping me up all night but I have one symptom that I don't know if anyone else has experienced. I have some numbness/tingling in my upper right arm, arm pit and right chest area. I am hoping the medicine will work and I will be back to normal.

Comment from: Vincent, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I had a sharp pain in my left lung after I was involved in a motor vehicle accident, I then had pains radiating to both my shoulders which left me temporarily disabled. I consulted my doctor then he took me for X-rays, he then told me I had pleurisy and it also caused the sharp shoulder pains I have been experiencing!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

My pleurisy symptoms are pain when coughing, pain when breathing and pain and some tenderness when I turn head and neck from left to right.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter