Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SunnyPalm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had the herald patch of pityriasis rosea on my right side by my waist, which I thought was a mosquito bite. About three weeks later, I noticed eruptions on mirror images of my body, on the sides and under both breasts, in the same location, then both shoulders. Now, there are several on my right side and back. I am one of the lucky ones who has flu-like symptoms; also, intermittent pain in both arms, which is the most troublesome.

Comment from: Hmarii, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea about two weeks ago. I waited a whole month to see if the rash went away on its own, having my family tell me it was probably an allergic reaction to something I ate. I have been diagnosed in the past with dermatitis, so I thought it was that as well. The rash spread, got worse after I showered, my whole torso is covered in these rash red scaly patches. It's now spreading to my underarms and down my legs and also my neck. It's not so itchy, I think the ones that are more scaly and dry are itchier than the fresh red ones. Now my whole body is aching.

Comment from: spotintheshade, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I know that a tanning bed is not great for your skin normally, but in this case it is the best treatment for pityriasis rosea. I had this about 18 years ago and it was the most effective treatment. My dermatologist diagnosed me and told me to get myself to the tanning bed. Hope this helps everyone!

Comment from: Angelina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I suffered from pityriasis rosea last summer. At that time I was 44 years old. Time frame says early 30s! But first came spots, then a migraine that lasted 9 days, fever of 104 for 3 days and I lost my voice for 5 weeks; in total this took 9 weeks to run its course. Let me also say that the 3 times I went to emergency room before I learned what it was, no one on medical staff could figure out what was wrong with me.

Comment from: Justine , 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 24

My daughter is two and in all articles I've seen it says you get pityriasis rosea between ages 10 to 35. She had a cold (so I thought) two weeks prior to the herald patch. Then I saw the herald patch and thought it was eczema. Then a week later the little spots came but then we went out in the hot weather and it covered her more. So finally I went to the doctor and she was diagnosed today. Anyway I will be using coconut oil as I always gave her coconut massages up until 6 months ago. Hope they find what the cause is. She's been sleepy, off food, snotty, sneezing and has a temperature.

Comment from: LDC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed with recurrent pityriasis rosea in 2015 via a skin biopsy. My dermatologist administers a Kenalog injection to treat my symptoms. I get herald spots on my stomach, chest, and buttocks. If I wait too long, I will get them on my arms, legs and neck. The Kenalog is a slow release, over 3 to 4 weeks, and relieves my symptoms for about 3 months. After that time, it flares up again and I will go back for another shot. I have tried various creams and lotions, but nothing works. I'm not crazy about getting Kenalog shots on a regular basis because I've been told it could lead to thinning bones. I'm going to try phototherapy when I get my next flare up. I'd much rather take a pill every day or every other day as opposed to these shots, but I've found nothing yet that works.

Comment from: Mj, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am now suffering from pityriasis rosea and my dermatologist gave a prescription and cream and I was advised to use baby soaps that are none-whitening. In my case, it is not itchy and I do not suffer from nausea, flu or fever. It started from a herald patch at my lower leg, then arms, and now they are multiplying in my back and stomach like crazy. I feel light itchiness sometimes. I hope that it will go away soon without leaving any marks.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I first noticed my mother patch of pityriasis rosea 2 years ago. It went away but I had several other break outs spread over my body; shoulder, arms, legs. Now I have another mother patch and the break outs are even worse than before. It hasn't seemed to get any better at all no matter what I use or how I treat. I haven't tried tanning or washes. It's been 2 years. I need help. I went to the dermatologist today and they said it looked like eczema but looking at these pictures and symptoms this is definitely pityriasis rosea.

Comment from: Edward, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 04

I've had a small herald patch of what I thought was eczema on my shin. I noticed in late June 2015 that I started to develop spots around my torso and back and then the pityriasis rosea spread to my upper arms, forearms, and legs. It started to itch but after trying the Head and Shoulders shampoo body wash treatment and using Desitin rash cream it started to fade a bit but the patches are still there albeit they seem to be drying out and developing dry, white scaly flakes. The itching has subsided but the patches are still present and it has been over 8 weeks already (late June through 1st week of September). I am only hoping that this clears up with minimal scarring so that I can go to the beach once again.

Comment from: cattail, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am 43 and developed this rash about 2.5 months ago. I waited over a month to see a doctor thinking it was an allergic reaction. I am told by my nurse practitioner that it is pityriasis rosea and that I should just ride it out and it should last about 3 months. I have a feeling it will not be gone anytime soon. It has only gotten worse and spread further on my body. I think it started on my chest in a patch and then it has spread to my arms, underarms, torso, back, and groin, and is now spreading to my feet and ankles. It itches only sometimes and is tolerable, but it looks awful. I notice that on my outer arm it has cleared up a bit, since the weather has been better and I have been out in the sun more. It is harder to get sun on the inside of your arms, torso, and groin. I'm going to try the Head and Shoulders clinical shampoo as a body wash and try to get more sun and hope it improves. Having this in t-shirt weather stinks. I feel like a leper.

Comment from: Bmiller223, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had pityriasis rosea (PR) since January 2014. It is now April 2015, and I am still actively breaking out, gosh, how frustrating is this rash! Not only do I have several herald patches, but I also have severe discoloration on my arms and face. I have had 4 biopsies, seen 2 dermatologists, my rheumatologist and my primary doctor later, and no one knew what it was. First I was told it was a drug eruption from my RA (rheumatoid arthritis), and they took me off of all my medications. That just left my in a lot of pain, and did nothing for the rash at all. I started to do a lot of research myself, and this is definitely PR. I'm going to try tanning, though I have darker skin, so I don't really know how I feel about that, but at this point, I am desperate. I am also going to try the Head and Shoulders as a body wash. I feel ugly. There are so many scars. I hope these treatments work. I will pot an update if I see results. Good luck, everyone.

Comment from: Michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I started with a few patches that I thought was a fungus infection. The initial ones went away after I used a regular fungus cream like clotrimazole but more patches started developing after about 2 or 3 weeks in. I haven't gone to the doctor yet but it looks like its pityriasis rosea. Indeed I took the flu shot about 2 months before and I also had a lung infection 6 months ago that still seems to be on and off. I'm not sure if it's related but I will be bringing this up with my doctor. I have patches all down the right side of my torso and herald patches on my chest. None on my arms or legs and most of them don't itch. The only ones that mildly itch are the herald patches on my neck.

Comment from: PR Hater, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I just self-diagnosed myself with pityriasis rosea (PR). I did the research. I got the mother patch first and thought it was ringworms because my boyfriend had it so I tried all sorts of jock and vaginal cream (that's what I heard to use). After 3 or 4 weeks of doing that and feeling gross it looked like some spots were fading and drying up but I kept getting more spots. Worried that it was something more serious (shingles, scabies, spider bites, worms, fungus), I was about to go bite the bullet and fork out lots of money for a dermatologist but now that I know what it is I will wait a few more weeks. I have the mother spot on my upper back shoulder. I have the daughter spots on my torso arms and neck. I also have the Christmas pattern on my back (how festive my body is this holiday)! I live in California, it is December and I've never had the flu shot. Prior to this I was sleeping my dog in my bed (not anymore) and I thought I got it from the dog. After reading I'm thinking it may be related to mites and or stress. I will try head and shoulders and if that doesn't work I'll try tanning with UV lights. I'm ready to breakup with PR soon, hopefully before New Year's!

Comment from: OCD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have pityriasis rosea now for the fourth time! I first had it my 20s then it has reoccurred 3 more times! I thought I had gotten chigger bites and washed everything in the house in hot water and took a bath with tea tree oil. The next morning I had several more itchy spots and saw the herald patch. Tanning helped before so I went to the tanning bed and am also going to try red light therapy. The itching is driving me crazy! At least the reoccurrences have been just a couple of weeks as opposed to the first 2 month occurrence.

Comment from: Gordo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I had a number of herald patches, then other rash spots occurred. At its peak I had much itching, which was treated with prednisone. I guess what makes mine a little unusual is my age and that I have had it for 5 months. In late summer when I first showed symptoms there was no rash on my arms or legs. When I started wearing long pants and shirts I developed rash on my arms and legs also. I am about 90% rash free at this time.

Comment from: adam, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I have rashes on my hand and legs. Most of the rashes are below the elbow of my hand and on my thigh. On my thigh the rashes are red but on my hand the rashes are of skin color. I have done the check up and the doctor diagnosed it as pityriasis rosea. I have also used the drug prescribed by the doctor, Dipgenta cream and Levocet tab 5mg. I used the medicine and the rashes disappeared leaving the marks of the rashes, but again the rashes have reappeared.

Comment from: SS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have been diagnosed with pityriasis rosea and have been prescribed antibiotics for 6 weeks but it has not been working. I am now trying the Head and Shoulders shampoo as a body wash for about 2 weeks now. So far no change and the rash is spreading. I have another appointment with the doctor next week and will ask about the bleach treatment. This rash is horrible!

Comment from: TracyL, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I first had pityriasis rosea (PR) when I was around 22 years old. It reoccurred last year, which surprised my doctor as it's very rare for it to happen again. I have just turned 40 and last week another herald patch appeared. This is the third time now and I can definitely say that my reoccurrences were triggered by stress and being general run down. Most recent symptoms included fatigue but inability to sleep, and increased sinus problems.

Comment from: EmilyM, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I legitimately want to cry over this. I am 20 and I don't know how I got pityriasis rosea. It's all over my chest, breasts and neck and starting on my back now. I have tried aloe gel, hydrocortisone cream, antifungal cream, hydrogen peroxide (because I thought it was ringworm at first, also it started on my neck and looked like a hickey, so I didn't think anything of it). Anyway, I am going to try beach which I am not really sure is safe, and Head & Shoulders as a body wash and see if that makes a difference. I have had this for 4 weeks now and have tried a lot of different things, although I have noticed that changing the soap I used in the shower to a less harsh fragrance free solution and not applying perfume as I normally do and using a scent free deodorant has made a slight difference. My advice is to stop scratching, scratching makes it worse.

Comment from: mother904, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I originally saw the herald patch and thought it was a ringworm. I was treated for hives at the emergency room. But I soon realized as the next day it spread all over my upper body. I didn't know what was going on. As I had no insurance, I couldn't go to a dermatologist nor could I make my way to a general doctor. I was so frustrated and googled skin issues. Once I saw the picture of this I knew this is what I had. What ticks me is how no one knows the causes and there's no way to treat. I think there should be more investigations. This is a nightmare. I have these nasty spots and I feel so itchy and insecure, not wanting my husband to touch me. I hope this goes away soon. One month down, hopefully only a little while longer to go.

Comment from: Ali, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My boyfriend noticed the 'herald's patch' about two months ago on my back below my shoulder blade - was about 2 inches wide and I assumed it was a patch of dry skin. Then over the past week I developed small red patches on my lower stomach, sides, breasts and back. I went to the doctor and got told it was pityriasis rosea. He was surprised that it didn't itch at all and it hasn't started to yet. I presume it didn't flare up till now because I was on two very sunny holidays since I got the herald's patch.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I'm 53 /female/noticed red bumpy almost hive like markings under and in between my breasts which later in the day spread down my stomach. Within 1 day my back was well covered and even the bottom of my neck at the hairline. I saw a doctor who immediately said that it looked like pityriasis a wee bit itchy but I take reactine and used a cortate cream. I won't miss it when it's gone!

Comment from: Greenly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I noticed a large, red, circular spot on my shoulder. Several days later I noticed three more small spots on my neck. From then on I got more spots that turned red and spread out. I am 70 years old and in good health. I had this pityriasis rosea once in my late thirties. I never thought I would get it again. The doctor prescribed triamcinolone acetonide cream. It helps with the redness, but I know the rash has to run its course. I hate that I have to endure this for 6 to 8 weeks.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had it 18 years ago in 1994. Very embarrassing - my GP, an old timer who had "seen it all", knew what it was immediately. All he could do was offer benedryl or calomine. He said mine was "classic" - a herald mark on my stomach, followed several days later by 1" t 1 1/2" ringworm-like red crusty itchy patches on upper torso, neck, and arms. I think I got it from a new client who had odd darkness/patches on her neck and arms (we shook hands and had a 45 min interview, etc. She was likely past the most unsightly part of the disease's course). I think I remember it because it was such an unsightly condition to have. Anyhow, it has not recurred and my husband never "caught" it from me.

Comment from: Staying positive, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

My daughter had pityriasis rosea (PR) in 2004 that resulted in post-viral fatigue syndrome, which prevented her from attending school for more than one class a day. It took more than six months for her to fully recover. She again had PR in 2008 (both cases were verified by her doctor) and now has another case; so much for one case gives immunity!

Comment from: Dzanel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

My doctor told me that it takes 6 to 8 weeks for pityriasis rosea (PR) to heal, but after a week of having the rash spread everywhere, I wasn't going to wait. I used Head and Shoulders clinical strength as body wash every day and it's been about a week since using it and 2 weeks since my PR started and I look 90 percent better. The rashes are basically dried up and turned into little dark spots. I use bio-oil at night to moisturize and cocoa butter lotion in the day. Just a word of warning, using the Head and Shoulders as body wash doesn't leave you smelling the best.

Comment from: Colleen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I started with pityriasis rose about 2-1/2 months ago and it was diagnosed by my doctor immediately! No quick fixes from what I read but Rooibos tea baths coupled with sun and Rooibos tea oil has eliminated any itching. It is awful as we are out at the beach a lot and is very embarrassing. For a while it seemed like it was disappearing but over the last weeks a few have cropped up on my thighs and groin area. I suppose patience is the answer but it is frustrating. Stress doesn't help either. So as Churchill said KEEP CALM!

Comment from: jud0862, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I did not notice the initial red spot. I went to take a shower and looked in the mirror and saw my entire back covered in blotches. It had been itchy prior to this but did not pay it any mind. The next day, it had spread around my sides. I was very sensitive to anything that touched my skin. Everything, felt like wearing wool on top of a sunburn. Cotton sheets and clothes have been turned inside out. Keeping seams off me has helped, also staying cool has helped.

Comment from: Frustrated at 42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was diagnosed with PR three weeks ago. The worst thing is that I went to the doctor and really never got enough information on how long, and what I can do to help with the flaring and itching of PR. I have learned much more from reading others' stories. What gets me, is how there is really nothing to help go through the process faster. I hear it can take from 6 to 8 weeks if you're in better condition, but I have read stories that some have had it for up to seven months. I am hoping that this nightmare goes away soon. Oh, frequent cool showers and cortisone help with my itching, allowing me to function.

Comment from: dawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Last week, I learned that I have pityriasis rosea. I wasn't sure what it was, so I went to see my doctor, because the big rash I had on my back was a concern. I'd love to know how I got it. Maybe I'm run down, as I'm under a lot of stress now. My doctor gave me Sporanox, Piriteze, and Dermol cream. At first, I felt ill, with banging headaches. It is now starting to warm up outside and I can't wear any tops that show rashes, as I've got them on my back. I feel horrible that I have them.

Comment from: anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I first noticed my herald patch five weeks ago. I have been to the doctor and was told to take Benadryl at night and cool showers. The Benadryl does help me sleep, but the itching during the day has been driving me crazy. My pharmacist said I should try a cream with zinc in it and suggested Penaten (a European cream recommended for diaper rash). It has totally helped with the itching. I can't believe it! My rash is mostly gone. I wish I knew this sooner. I am still getting some new spots and wish I knew when this will be over.

Comment from: Connie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I've had it and it has never quite gone away and flares up occasionally. It has also caused mouth sores. I have taken vitamin c 1000 mg and that eases the symptoms but doesn't totally get rid of it.

Comment from: Surprized, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 54 years old. About 2 weeks ago woke up one morning with a red patch on my left breast which had a distinct rough edge. I was a little concerned if it was some sort of breast cancer manifesting itself in this red patch. About two weeks later, I developed further rashes on my lower back, stomach, legs, upper arms, and chest. The appearance of the additional rashes occurred simultaneously with me starting a course of antibiotics. So naturally, I thought it was an allergic reaction to the drugs. But I stopped the medication immediately, and days after, new rashes were appearing up to a week after stopping the antibiotic. I went to the doctor, and she immediately recognized it as pityriasis rosea and was looking for the 'herald patch.' Of course we couldn't find it until I remember the occurrence of the larger patch on my breast which by then had almost faded as I was treating it with hydrocortisone creme. My symptoms are quite mild, but then I've been controlling the itching with oral antihistamine.

Comment from: nsdawson, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

This is my first time having PR and I first noticed a patch under my right breast. Then about a week later I noticed marks on my neck and then less than a week after that I noticed more marks on my upper torso. I have extreme itching and it's been almost 7 weeks and it doesn't look like it's clearing up. I don't have insurance so I can't see a dermatologist.

Comment from: zhombie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I am 40 years old and I first noticed a small patch on my lower back. It felt raised, but different than a bug bite. Plus it felt rough. Within a week or two, I had more spots around and under my breasts, underarms, back, stomach, and hips. Eventually over my groin area, neck, and the backs of my thighs in my seat area. I went to my doctor last Tuesday before it was fully out, but enough that I was concerned, and she said it looked like a fungus, prescribed some cream, and away I went. I wasn't convinced that was what it was, plus it was getting worse with more spots. I assumed a two minute diagnosis from a non-dermatologist, may not be accurate. So I started searching online and ruled a lot of things out until I came to pityriasis rosea. I was convinced that's what I had, but I wanted to go to a dermatologist to confirm just in case it was something serious. I was right. For the itching and moisturizing, she prescribed Olux-E and gave me three free samples. It wasn't covered under insurance and they wanted over $400. I called the doctor and they called in a generic. I have to pick it up, so I don't know how much. The Olux-E works! It takes away the skin redness, but the spots are still there, just more apparent because the rest of the skin looks better. I also appear to have a heat rash (little red spots) all over the affected areas which I never had, but I assume it's there because of the pityriasis rosea. I asked the doctor if pityriasis rosea can be caused from stress and she said absolutely. My husband left me a month earlier (15 year relationship, 5 years married) and the rash started within two weeks after. So I can only assume that was the trigger.

Comment from: female 42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am a 42 year old female, and have had pityriasis rosea for the first time. It was misdiagnosed as strep, and i was prescribed antibiotics, and an antifungal, which of course did nothing for me. I really don't have any symptoms except minor itchiness.

Comment from: Janice, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I think I have pityriasis rosea. I am 29 and I first noticed the herald patch a few days ago. I noticed a few red spots on my stomach first and thought it was a normal rash. Many more red spots appeared on my back, some on my stomach, my thighs, and my neck. At first my mom thought it was ringworm when she saw the herald patch but then because of the many red spots that kept popping out, she said it was definitely not ringworm. I did an Internet search and found that my symptoms matched pityriasis rosea. I believe that it appeared because I shower really hot water.

Comment from: Tee A, Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I just realized I have Pityriasis rosea. The forest rash I had was under my breast line went to see the GP said I need to apply more moisturizer to that part of my body and she prescribed Dakatcort ointment which after applying it became worse. I saw that the patches have broken forth and now all over my torso, legs, arms and neck within 4 days. Went back to the GP and was informed that it is PR and would take about 6 to 8 weeks to clear can't wait for it to go. I was Prescribed Double base gel to apply on it but that wouldn't speed up the healing just to ease the itching.

Comment from: Tootsie25, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am 67 and was diagnosed 8 weeks ago when I developed the first "Herald Patch." Since then, it has been spreading, mostly over the torso. Patches are getting larger and no end in sight. Did not have any flu or anti-flu vaccine for years. I live in a hot climate and have not been in contact with anyone with PR. A few years ago, I had Singles (Herpes Zoster). Also wonder whether, like some forms of eczema, it can be linked to a nervous or stressed condition.

Comment from: justme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I'm not 100% positive I have PR, but I have had this rash for over a month now, which started on my butt...yea, lucky me! It then extended to my abdomen and then to my ribs and the WHOLE chest area (which looks more like chicken pox in this area) and has been on my forearms for a short time. I've tried aveeno baths and the Doctor even prescribed prednisone, which didn't even touch the rash! Very frustrated!!!

Comment from: michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I was extremely tired and had a lot of headaches before the first herald patch appeared one week later the second herald patch appeared on my neck one week after that my whole body broke out including my neck, face, and head. Sometimes I can't sleep at night from the itching and am constantly tired. Really not looking forward to 6 more weeks of this!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter