Pinkeye, or conjunctivitis, is characterized by reddening of the conjunctiva of the eyes, discharge from the eyes, and can be accompanied by other signs of infection like sinus congestion and runny nose. The eyelids may also be swollen.
Causes of pinkeye (conjunctivitis)
Pinkeye can be caused either by infectious or noninfectious processes. When infections are responsible, most cases are due to viral infections. Viruses likely to cause pinkeye include adenovirus, herpes simplex virus (HSV), varicella-zoster virus (VZV), poxvirus (molluscum contagiosum, vaccinia), picornavirus (enterovirus 70, Coxsackie A24), and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Bacterial infections can also cause pinkeye symptoms, however. Staphylococci and streptococci are types of bacteria that commonly cause pinkeye, although gonococci and Chlamydia trachomatis may also cause bacterial pinkeye.
Allergic reactions are one cause of noninfectious pinkeye. Irritation, from chemical vapors, smoke, dust, or other fumes may cause noninfectious pinkeye.
Other pink eye
- Eye Discharge
- Eye Pain
- Eye Redness
- Itching Eyes
- Light Sensitivity (Photophobia)
- Puffy Eyes
- Pus Drainage From Eye
- Red Eyelids
- Runny Nose
- Sinus Congestion
- Swollen Eyelids
- Swollen Lining of the Eye
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
- Watery Eyes
IMAGESBrowse through our medical image collection of eye diseases such as glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts, and more See Images
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Allergies Quiz: Symptoms & Home Remedies
What are the causes of allergies? This online quiz challenges your knowledge of common food and household allergens,...
Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More
Is your child at risk for these childhood diseases? Know when to call the doctor for conditions such as measles, mumps, ringworm,...
Eye Problems & Conditions Quiz
What do you know about your eyes? Take this quick quiz to learn about a range of eye diseases and conditions.
Picture of Bacterial Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye)
Pink eye, or conjunctivitis, is redness and inflammation of the membranes (conjuctiva) covering the whites of the eyes and the...
Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
How do you get pink eye? And how contagious is pinkeye? If you woke up with crusty eyelids and red, swollen eyes, you may have...
Examples of Medications for Pink Eye
- azithromycin (Zithromax): Potential COVID-19 Combo Drug
- bacitracin - ophthalmic
- ciprofloxacin ointment - ophthalmic, Ciloxan
- ciprofloxacin ophthalmic solution (Ciloxan)
- gentamicin ointment
- Maxidex (dexamethasone) Suspension
- Maxitrol (neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and dexamethasone)
- Paremyd (hydroxyamphetamine Hydrobromide 1% and tropicamide 0.25%)
- polymyxin B sulfate and trimethoprim (Polytrim)
- Side Effects of Acular (ketorolac)
- Side Effects of Ciloxan (ciprofloxacin ophthalmic solution)
- Side Effects of Susvimo (ranibizumab)
- Side Effects of Tobradex (tobramycin/dexamethasone)
- Xiidra (lifitegrast)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter