Phobias are unrelenting fears of activities (social phobias), situations (agoraphobia), and specific items (arachnophobia). There is thought to be a hereditary component to phobias, though there may be a cultural influence or they may be triggered by life events. Symptoms and signs of phobias include having a panic attack, shaking, breathing troubles, rapid heartbeat, and a strong desire to escape the situation. Treatment of phobias typically involves desensitization, cognitive behavioral therapy, and medications such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and beta-blockers. Read more: Phobias Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Anxiety Disorder Pictures: Symptoms, Panic Attacks, and More with Pictures
Learn about generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). See if your worries are normal or something more by learning about symptoms,...
PTSD Quiz: Test your IQ of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Can you have PTSD even if you've never been to war? Take the Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Quiz to learn about PTSD, who gets it,...
What's Your Biggest Fear? Phobias
Learn about phobias such as agoraphobia, claustrophobia, arachnophobia, zoophobia, and more. Discover some of the symptoms and...
Related Disease Conditions
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a psychiatric condition, can develop after any catastrophic life event. Symptoms include...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Williams syndrome is a developmental disorder that affects many parts of the body. Signs, symptoms, characteristics and...
Separation anxiety disorder is a common childhood anxiety disorder that has many causes. Infants, children, older kids and adults...
Agoraphobia is a fear of being outside or of being in a situation from which escape would be impossible. Symptoms include...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Phobias - Cause
What was the cause of your phobia?Post View 12 Comments
Phobias - Symptoms
What were the symptoms of your phobia(s)?Post View 4 Comments
Phobias - Treatment
What was the treatment for your phobia?Post
Phobias - Types
Describe your phobia, how it makes you feel, and if you've received treatment for it.Post
Phobias - Assessment
Discuss the tests, exams, and/or different doctors you saw to treat your phobia.Post
Phobias - Coping
Please share tips and suggestions for how to cope with your particular phobia.Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- clonazepam (Klonopin)
- citalopram, Celexa
- Ativan (lorazepam)
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- fluvoxamine (Luvox and Luvox CR have been discontinued)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- Klonopin (clonazepam) vs. Xanax (alprazolam)
Prevention & Wellness
- What Are Today's Americans Afraid Of?
- Spiders' Size Exagerrated in Minds of Those Who Fear Them
- Too Much 'Feel Good' Brain Chemical May Trigger Social Phobia
- Could Smoggy Air Raise Your Anxiety Level?
- Health Tip: Why People Seek Counseling
- Behavioral Therapy Deemed Best for Social Phobia
- Sudden Death of Loved One Can Trigger Mental Health Issues
- Teens' Mental Disorders Often Untreated in U.S., Study Finds
- Weather Worries Can Threaten a Child's Mental Health
- Is Your Little One Scared of Santa?
- Science Reveals Secrets of Hypnosis
- Want to Beat Spider Phobia? Talk About It
- Phobic Anxiety May Link to Premature Aging
- Fear of Childbirth Linked to Longer Labor, Study Says
- Spider Phobia: Brain Scan Shows Cure in 1 Session
- Phobia Makes Spiders Appear Larger Than They Are: Study
- Talk Therapy May Help Treat Social Anxiety
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter