Patient Comments: Phlebitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Phlebitis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: HMoe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have several 'dirty' wounds that were surgically repaired. One wound, on my right thigh was filthy from dirt and tree debris following a traumatic injury. The second was from a surgical wound infection. I have also had a tummy tuck (long scar) and gall bladder removal. I have dermatitis herpetiformis, psoriasis and celiac disease. The 'clean' surgical wounds healed with minimal scarring and no pain. The dirty wounds healed well externally, but scar tissue is all knotted up beneath the surface. I am currently undergoing physical therapy which is physically and externally destroying those scars. It seems to be working, because for the first time in 18 years, I can sit in a chair for 2 hours and not be in agony. The first treatment was excruciating, but for subsequent treatments I have applied lidocaine (which I had because it didn't numb the pain source) which has numbed my skin as deeply as the therapist can manipulate. I suspect I will need to have this type of treatment periodically for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Sylvie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am 71 and I had my 1st experience with phlebitis last week. I had an itchy area which then turned very sore and tender to the touch. Doctor prescribed ibuprofen ointment with painkillers. I then applied hot flannel, which helped a lot, and kept legs elevated. Six days later some improvement is showing, I hope so.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

My mother had phlebitis and it appears I will follow in her footsteps. The first time I had injured myself by backing into a low shelf in a store that I did not see, and it damaged my leg in the calf area. Later when I found a red spot with pain, I associated it with a bruise but it was a blood clot; at the time I thought nothing of it. Then it traveled around to the front of my leg, and to the side, and up my leg to my knee. I finally went to the doctor when it reached my groin and they took x-rays. They said it was a superficial clot and not to worry, it would not go to my lungs. They put me on antibiotics and gave me ibuprofen. I was thankful I did not need blood thinners. I have had other times before this when I would get a red spot with pain, and it goes away. I have since had a red spot with pain and swelling. What I did also seems to help, I am not sure if this is right for everyone though. I wrapped my leg loosely and slept with it like that and in 3 days it was gone. When I let it go on its own, it seems to take longer. Today I am taking the day off work with a new one on my knee, I have wrapped loosely a heating pad on low heat and have my leg up. I will do this until it goes away, in the future this will most likely be what I do also. I will let my doctor know tomorrow and make sure he agrees this is best.

Comment from: Karebear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had EVLT (endovenous laser treatment) on both legs on October 28. Then 1 week later I had foam sclerotherapy on my right leg. One week later I had to go back because my leg swelled and was/is red where the injection was. I was diagnosed with severe phlebitis. I was prescribed ibuprofen 600mg 4 times a day. My veins are so inflamed and I have pain shooting to my ankle as well up behind my knee. This is very discouraging considering I had this done because of the pain and not cosmetic.

Comment from: Browneyes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was recently told by my doctor that I have phlebitis. It started about a year and half ago with slight swelling where I had broken my leg about 10 years ago and I thought it was pain from an old injury. The swelling would start at the point where I broke my leg then down to my ankle. It would last about 3 weeks and go away as fast as it came. The second time it happened was similar to the first time. The 3rd time my leg swelled and 3 weeks later it was not any better. My leg and foot swelled and I could not even wear shoes. The slightest movement or touch hurt. It has been 2 months now. I am taking medication for it but my leg is still tender and slightly swollen and I still can not wear shoes that touch the ankle. I had an ultrasound and thank God there is no blood clot. I am going to start doing a lot of walking.

Comment from: Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My husband had shingles twice and obtained treatment quickly and he recovered fully. I had shingles and as I was travelling, I was not able to see a doctor quickly. A rash developed and the pain was very bad. Fortunately it was my waist area and I am left with slight neuralgic discomfort years later. My advice, get treatment very quickly at the commencement of the pains. It will save you a great deal of discomfort later. Shingles is unpleasant. Good luck.

Comment from: IRMA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was hospitalized the weekend of April 4th. Blood for lab tests was drawn from left mid arm. I felt pain and noted redness to left mid arm area and running up inner arm towards armpit, on the week of April 13th. On April 17th, I called my family nurse practitioner and she said there was nothing she could do about my phlebitis. I went home and continue with my pain until today, April 20th.

Comment from: JasonA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I have phlebitis in my calf and it feels like my foot is going to explode; it is very painful.

Comment from: DEBBIEWILSON24, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

I have been having ongoing issues with my legs; swelling, skin itching, redness and then when I awoke from bed today it felt as if something had bitten me. I have deep burning and pain around my left ankle and much redness that is persistently getting worse as each hour passes.

Comment from: Mrs M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I have had 2 experiences that I now believe to be Phlebitis. 1. A day after a transatlantic flight I noticed a hot red area with a hard center above my left inner ankle. I treated it like a bite and it grew larger. Soaked in hot water - no help, finally saw a physician who prescribed 2 strong antibiotics - took this course and then treated with cortisone cream. I can still feel a hard center in that area of slightly darkened skin. About 15 weeks ago I broke the fibula of my left leg and used crutches for 6-7 weeks. Mobility has been limited since getting off crutches - no long walks with dog or friends - no long shopping trips until the last week or so. Two days ago I noticed another hot, red area with a hard center about 3 inches above the first and a bit more toward the back of my calf. I have used moist heat, hot to cold running water therapy and elevation and it is not getting any worse and in fact is not as sensitive as in the beginning. Will add ibuprofen today and contact my physician if it worsens or does not improve.

Comment from: Dawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had a varicose vein removed. I recently had laser treatment to remove spider veins that developed. I have now developed phlebitis. My surgeon said I need to have further surgery and suggested that the original vein removal was not done very well. My leg is very tender and is discolored. I am not overweight. I go to the gym most days. I think I will not have any further surgery. I will just have to manage the condition myself.

Comment from: HappyWife86, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

My phlebitis started when I had a very sore elbow one day. I had no trauma to the elbow area. The next morning I woke up with a bruise that ran from the underside of my forearm to the underside of my armpit. It was extremely painful to touch, even to a feather-like touch. I had an extremely sore area on the inside of my elbow. There was a knot, warmth, and red bruise in that area. After an urgent ultrasound, I found out that the blood clot was there at my elbow and was blocking the flow of blood. What I learned was that you don't assume something is just a bruise, especially if it runs in a straight line.

Comment from: Jennifert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I went in for a hysterectomy one year ago. Within one week afterwards, my left leg had increased to such pain I couldn't walk and it was swollen to two and one half times the normal size. Red and burning. It was the worst case scenario. I was very near death, had one large mass of clots from ankle to thigh and clots in lung! One year later, I am still on warfarin and pain medications. Problem now, they told me 1 to 1.5 years to heal. Now even on pain medications my leg is flaring in so much pain.

Comment from: bsu94, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

Was in hospital for C-diff colitis and was administered an IV. Long story short, they blew the vein and now the inside of my left arm hurts like crazy. It's very sore to the touch. I have been using moist heat, massage, and aspirin every day. It has almost been two weeks. OUCH!!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I just had routine bloodwork done and my arm seemed extra sore from the needle stick. Then it seemed to be a thin, very localized pain going from my armpit to my wrist. After 4 weeks of still feeling tender, I noticed a pink streak that looked like maybe blood poisoning .Phlebitis was the diagnosis and it was the inflamed vein that caused the streak-like appearance. I am now on a two week course of antibiotics.

Comment from: Lori, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 18

My experience with phlebitis: I had an IV for a migraine. Having never experienced anything like phlebitis before, I found my arm swelling, and had tenderness and red streaks 24 hours later. My first prescription was to limit movement, use hot packs, sling, ibuprofen, and hydrocodone. Three days later I was back in the emergency room for red streaks moving upward on my arm, and the inability of moving my arm. After four days, the red streak has moved into the elbow area with tenderness/swelling on the underside of the upper arm and in the elbow area. I still cannot move my arm with any ease. Hot packs are constant throughout the day.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I developed a sore left calf which worsened the following day. I have varicose veins in that leg. It hurt to touch, was hard, and slightly reddened, and swollen. To bear weight on it after having it elevated was very painful. An ultrasound found superficial thrombophlebitis. It occurred at the time I would normally have a period, but skipped it. It has not yet resolved after 1 week.

Comment from: Ruth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

About three weeks ago I was awakened about 4:00AM with a very severe cramp in my left lower inner leg. This was so painful and I went though the usual procedures of dealing with the cramp; rubbing, stretching out the muscle and walking. I took a couple of aspirins and went back to bed. In the morning when I got up I had a huge bruise around the area of the cramp and felt a lump about the size of a chick pea. Gradually the bruising went and the lump has become slightly smaller. I had my Dr. examine it and he said that it was superficial phlebitis and it would subside in three or four weeks. I still have the lump and the leg is sometimes sore and numb. I continued to take aspirin until last Friday I had had to go off them as I am having hand surgery on Friday Jan 8/10. I am a little concerned as I have Factor V Laeden which makes a person susceptible to having clots. To my knowledge this is the first time I have experienced phlebitis.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I had swelling in the lower part of my leg near the ankle. I went to the emergency room and the young lady intern told me that she thought it was Phlebitis. I was told to watch it for a few days and then either return to her or go to my family doctor. She prescribed Ibuprofen. I also bathed in warm water for a period of time and then I elevated my foot higher than my head. Later I would walk around in the house. I will continue until a few days have passed. I am 84 years of age and very active in all community affairs as well as politics. I attend the nursing homes trying to help with Medicare or social security. Thanks I do not take any medication and haven't in about 15 or more years. I am highly allergic to odors. I went through the allergy clinic and had to quit as I became allergic to their weekly medications. I was told I had leukemia. I was sent to a cancer center, but it turned out I was allergic to the weekly shots of allergy medicine. I do take the flu shots yearly, but this time I had a small reaction, but it didn't last too long. I am concerned to take the new flu medicine. I will decide later.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter