- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Pregnancy & Breastfeeding
- What Else to Know
Generic Name: phentermine
Brand Name: Adipex-P, Lomaira
Discontinued Brands: Fastin, Oby-Trim, Obestin-30, OnaMast, Tora, Obenix, Suprenza, Wilpo
What is phentermine, and what is it used for?
Phentermine is a drug that suppresses appetite.
- Phentermine is combined with diet and exercise for the short-term treatment of obesity in individuals with a body mass index greater than or equal to 30 kg/m2 or greater than or equal to 27 kg/m2 with risk factors for heart disease.
- Phentermine should not be combined with other weight loss agents.
- The combination of phentermine and fenfluramine (FEN-PHEN) is associated with serious heart problems. Fenfluramine is no longer available in the United States.
What are the side effects of phentermine?
Side effects of phentermine include:
- dry mouth,
- an unpleasant taste,
- high blood pressure, and
- fast heart rates (palpitations).
Central nervous system side effects include:
- tremor, and
Phentermine, especially when combined with fenfluramine, has been associated with high pressures in the pulmonary arteries (pulmonary hypertension) and defects in heart valves, both serious complications.
Physical and psychological dependence may occur with the long-term use of phentermine. A withdrawal reaction, which includes excessive drowsiness, fatigue, tremors and depression may occur after prolonged use.
What is the dosage for phentermine?
- The recommended dose is 15-37.5 mg once daily.
- Adipex-P is administered about 1-2 hours after breakfast.
- The lowest effective dose should be used and evening doses should be avoided because phentermine causes insomnia.
Which drugs interact with phentermine?
- Phentermine is similar to amphetamine and may share some of the interactions associated with amphetamines. Combining phentermine with tricyclic antidepressants (for example, amitriptyline [Elavil, Endep]) or monoamine oxidase inhibitors or MAOIs (for example, phenelzine [Nardil], selegiline [Zelapar, Emsam, and Eldepryl], tranylcypromine [Parnate]) may result in high blood pressure and other serious reactions because of elevated serotonin levels in the blood. Phentermine should not be used within 14 days after stopping a monoamine oxidase inhibitor.
- People with diabetes being treated with phentermine may require a reduction in their dose of insulin or oral hypoglycemic drug.
- Combining alcohol with phentermine may result in an adverse drug reaction.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Use of phentermine during pregnancy has not been adequately evaluated.
- It is not known whether phentermine is excreted in human breast milk. Since other amphetamines are excreted in breast milk, phentermine should not be used while breastfeeding or, if used, nursing should be discontinued.
What else should I know about phentermine?
What preparations of phentermine are available?
- Tablets: 8 and 37.5 mg.
- Capsules: 15, 30, 37.5 mg.
How should I keep phentermine stored?
Phentermine should be stored in a tight container at room temperature, 20 C to 25 C (68 F to 77 F).
How does phentermine work?
- The exact mechanism of action of phentermine is unknown. It probably decreases appetite by acting on centers in the brain that control appetite. Phentermine is similar to amphetamine. It stimulates the nervous system, elevates blood pressure, and increases heart rate.
- CDC Warns of Potentially Fatal Bacterial Illness on U.S. Gulf Coast
- Helping Others as Volunteers Helps Kids 'Flourish': Study
- FDA Approves Pfizer's RSV Shot for Older Adults
- What to Do When Tough-to-Treat Lymphoma Strikes During Pregnancy
- Rate of Pregnant U.S. Women Who Have Diabetes Keeps Rising
- More Health News »
Phentermine is a drug that suppresses the appetite for weight loss. Phentermine should be combined with exercise and diet for the short term treatment of obesity. Drug interactions may occur with some tricyclic antidepressants or monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Side effects include palpitations, high blood pressure, hives, impotence, constipation, dry mouth, diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Fasting: What You Should Know
Fasting: It's simple and trending, though it's been around for thousands of years. Find out whether it might be a good option for...
Exercise and Fitness: 10 Budget-Friendly Exercise Gadgets
There are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes,...
Diet & Weight Loss: Reasons You're Not Losing Belly Fat
If you're trying to lose belly fat but can't, there's probably a reason.
The Best Diet Tips: How to Lose Weight the Healthy Way
Learn to lose weight in a realistic way that works. Find healthy weight loss by eating right, sleeping more, understanding...
Build a Better Butt: Workouts for Slim and Shapely Glutes
Want a rear view that kicks butt? Discover the right exercises, cardio, and style choices that can help in the quest for the...
Healthy Seeds: 11 Edible Super Seeds for Better Nutrition
Are pumpkin seeds good for your health? What's the nutritional value of chia seeds? Find out how to easily incorporate more...
Diet and Weight Loss: How to Cut Calories From Your Day
When you want to lose weight, you’ll probably need to find a way to eat fewer calories. Try these tips to trim them from your...
How to Lose Weight Without Dieting: 24 Fast Facts
Get surprising weight loss tips to help you slim down without starving or following a complicated diet. Lose weight without...
Foods That Aren't as Healthy as You Think
It may seem healthy, but is it really? Many food frauds masquerade as diet food. See 11 foods that seem healthy but can be...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Can a high protein diet help you lose weight fast and help you feel full? High-protein diets are popular, but is there a down...
Food Cravings Slideshow: Chocolate, Carbs, Salt, Sugar
Learn which food cravings can wreck your diet. Whether your craving something creamy or crunchy, sweet or salty, food cravings...
Popular Dieting Myths and Facts
Can't tell fact from fiction about weight loss and healthy eating? Discover the truth behind some of the most common diet and...
How to Lose Weight Fast: Easy Weight Loss Tips
Here are the best ways to lose weight. From calories to fitness, learn these weight loss tips and win your battle with losing...
Childhood Obesity Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Childhood obesity has reached epidemic proportions. Take the Childhood Obesity Quiz to test your knowledge of the facts and...
Salt & Low Sodium Diet Quiz
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Weight Loss Surgery Quiz
What happens after weight loss surgery? What should you eat? Take this quiz to learn about bariatric surgery. Are you a candidate?
Exercises for Seniors: Tips for Core, Balance, Stretching
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn about core strengthening, balance exercises, and...
Diet and Nutrition Quiz: Plans & Facts
Even if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to...
Parenting Guide: Healthy Eating for Kids
How do you get your kids to eat vegetables? Are your kids eating a balanced diet? Follow these tips to teach your kids how to...
Weight Loss Quiz: Test Your Weight Control IQ
Are you trying to lose weight? Take this quiz to see what you can add to routine to get on the right track for results!
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Exercise and Fitness Quiz: Test Your IQ
Take our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major...
Pictures of the 7 Most Effective Exercises to Do at the Gym or Home (and Tips to Improve Form)
These seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most...
10 Metabolism Boosting Facts and Myths
Losing weight by increasing your metabolism is challenging. There are many metabolism myths and only a few surefire tricks to get...
Weight Loss Surgery: What to Expect
Are you considering weight loss (bariatic) surgery? WebMD helps you know what makes you a good candidate and the pros and cons of...
Tips for Healthy Joints: Exercise, Nutrition, & More
Dealing with joint pain and arthritis? Learn why weight matters--and why NOT to stretch before exercise. See these solutions for...
No-Gym Workout in Pictures: Equipment, Routines, and More
Learn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and...
Vegetarian Diet: Benefits, Meat Substitutions, and Meal Plans
Vegetarian diet plans have benefits like weight loss and reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Vegetarian diet...
Flat Abs Pictures: 9 Exercises and Lifestyle Tips
Having a flat stomach makes you look great and feel great. But how do you get the flat abs you dream of? Learn how with...
Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them
Working out is supposed to make you healthier--but some exercises can leave your body at risk of pain or injury. Some exercises...
Diet and Weight Loss: The 80-20 (or Weekend) Diet
The idea here is that you get to splurge a bit if you eat healthy most of the time. Find out more about this approach and what it...
Diet and Weight Loss: Healthy Fat Foods
From fish to avocados, nuts to beans, WebMD shows you what tasty foods have healthy fats. See the benefits of adding omega 3s and...
Healthy Fast Food Options: 10 Tips for a Weight Loss Diet
What healthy fast food options are around you? Most fast food can't compare to the health of a well-planned, balanced diet. But...
Diet Mistake Pictures: Crash Diets, High-Calorie Drinks, and More
Discover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the...
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
Slideshow: 25 Ways to Get Ready for Swimsuit Season
Discover 25 ways to get ready for swimsuit season. See exercises, diet tips, and other healthy beauty fixes that will motivate...
Bad Foods That Are Good for Weight Loss in Pictures
Are you avoiding foods you could be enjoying as you try to lose weight? Get the skinny on "bad" foods like potatoes, cheese, and...
The 30-Minute Fitness Routine
This quick, high-intensity 30-minute workout routine can make you look better and feel better. Discover the right way to do...
17 Must-Try Fitness Workouts in Pictures
Learn the latest exercise crazes such as TRX, pole dancing, Zumba, Kangoo jumps, boot camps, exergames and more that are designed...
Worst Fast-Food Sandwiches
Want to know what the good and bad fast-food sandwiches choices are? Our experts explore the nutrition facts of major restaurant...
Benefits of Exercise: Fitness Facts Prove the Benefits of Working Out
The best way to lose weight? These fast facts show weight loss is possible for everyone trying to lose weight. From calories to...
Exercise Tips for Kids and the Whole Family
Exercise is great for kids, and fun activities for the whole family are there if you know how to find them. Learn how to lose...
Best and Worst Drinks For Weight Loss
From coffee to cocktails, learn which beverages can help or hinder a healthy lifestyle. See the best and worst drinks for weight...
Diet and Weight Loss: Best and Worst Salads for Your Health
Some salads are loaded with nutrition, while others serve up more fat than a cheeseburger. Learn which ones you should choose --...
Grocery Smarts: Right vs. Wrong Food Choices at the Supermarket
Grocery shopping means choosing the right foods and avoiding the wrong ones for a healthy diet. Low-fat snack ideas include...
Portion Control: Plate Photos to Lose Weight, Maintain Diet
Portion control can help with weight loss. The right plate amount can help you stick to a healthy diet. Learn to lose weight with...
Tips to Eat Healthy When You Dine Out in Pictures
Recognize the dangers of eating out and stay on your healthy diet at restaurants. Learn about healthy eating at restaurants,...
Related Disease Conditions
Obesity and Overweight
Get the facts on obesity and being overweight, including the health risks, causes, reviews of weight-loss diet plans, BMI chart, symptoms, causes, surgical and nonsurgical treatments, and medications.
What Is the Best Prescription Weight Loss Pill?
Many weight loss pills are available in the market. The best prescription pill for you depends on your weight loss goals, your tolerability to the pill prescribed and your coexisting health conditions, if any.
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity include type 2 diabetes, heart attack, stroke, high cholesterol, asthma, sleep apnea, gallstones, fatty liver disease, GERD, depression, and eating disorders.
Weight Loss Pills and Supplements: Do They Work?
A bodyweight over the healthy limit is associated with several health conditions, such as diabetes, heart diseases, and certain cancers. According to health experts, long-term weight loss can be safely attained by making healthy lifestyle changes like healthy eating patterns, limiting calorie intake, and doing regular physical activity. Many people, however, are not able to make these healthy lifestyle changes.
The 10 Best Diet Plans For Weight Loss
Diet means a reduction in calorie intake. For the optimal management of overweight and obese patients, a combination of diet, exercise, and behavioral modifications may be helpful. Weight loss is directly related to the difference between the individual’s energy intake and energy expenditure.
Diet Pills, Weight Loss Drugs, Suppressants
Maintaining a healthy weight is important because being overweight or underweight may lead to various health issues. Body mass index or BMI is calculated by dividing a person’s weight in kilograms by the square of their height in meters.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Food Portion Distortion FAQs
- Diet & Nutrition FAQs
- Sugar FAQs
- Salt FAQs
- Childhood Obesity Overweight FAQs
- Exercise and Fitness FAQs
- Weight Loss FAQs
- Weight Loss Surgery FAQs
- Does Depression Cause Obesity or Does Obesity Cause Depression?
- Dexfenfluramine/Fen-Phen Combo Finished in FDA Finale
- Overweight And Obesity Guidelines
- How To Reduce Your Medication Costs
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Indications for Drugs: Approved vs. Non-approved
- Obesity: Body Fat, the Silent Killer
- Drugs: Buying Prescription Drugs Online Safely
- Drugs: The Most Common Medication Errors
- Medication Disposal
- Dangers of Mixing Medications
- Can You Still Retain Symptoms Of PCOD (Acne, Obesity, Etc.) After Hysterectomy?
- Is Phentermine Safe to Take?
- Weight Gain, Obesity & Cancer Risk
- Generic Drugs, Are They as Good as Brand-Names?
- Weight Loss Goals: Is Your Goal Realistic?
- Dieter Makeovers: Look Great During Weight Loss
- Obesity: How to Win the War Against Obesity
- Fen-Phen Heart Hazard
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
FDA Prescribing Information