- Habits That Can Help You Lose Weight Slideshow
- Lose Weight Without Dieting Slideshow
- Surprising Sources of Hidden Sugar Slideshow
- What is phentermine?
- Why is phentermine prescribed to patients?
- Is phentermine available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for phentermine?
- What brand names are available for phentermine?
- What are the side effects of phentermine?
- What is the dosage for phentermine?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with phentermine?
- Is phentermine safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about phentermine?
Why is phentermine prescribed to patients?
- Phentermine is combined with diet and exercise for the short-term treatment of obesity in individuals with a body mass index greater than or equal to 30 kg/m2 or greater than or equal to 27 kg/m2 with risk factors for heart disease.
- Phentermine should not be combined with other weight loss agents.
- The combination of phentermine and fenfluramine (FEN-PHEN) is associated with serious heart problems. Fenfluramine is no longer available in the United States.
What are the side effects of phentermine?
Side effects of phentermine include:
- dry mouth,
- an unpleasant taste,
- high blood pressure, and
- fast heart rates (palpitations).
Central nervous system side effects include:
Phentermine, especially when combined with fenfluramine, has been associated with high pressures in the pulmonary arteries (pulmonary hypertension) and defects in heart valves, both serious complications.
Physical and psychological dependence may occur with the long-term use of phentermine. A withdrawal reaction, which includes excessive drowsiness, fatigue, tremors and depression may occur after prolonged use.
What is the dosage for phentermine?
- The recommended dose is 15-37.5 mg once daily.
- Adipex-P is administered about 1-2 hours after breakfast.
- The lowest effective dose should be used and evening doses should be avoided because phentermine causes insomnia.
Which drugs or supplements interact with phentermine?
- Phentermine is similar to amphetamine and may share some of the interactions associated with amphetamines. Combining phentermine with tricyclic antidepressants (for example, amitriptyline [Elavil, Endep]) or monoamine oxidase inhibitors or MAOIs (for example, phenelzine [Nardil], selegiline [Zelapar, Emsam, and Eldepryl], tranylcypromine [Parnate]) may result in high blood pressure and other serious reactions because of elevated serotonin levels in the blood. Phentermine should not be used within 14 days after stopping a monoamine oxidase inhibitor.
- People with diabetes being treated with phentermine may require a reduction in their dose of insulin or oral hypoglycemic drug.
- Combining alcohol with phentermine may result in an adverse drug reaction.
Latest Diet & Weight Management News
Daily Health News
Is phentermine safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
What else should I know about phentermine?
What preparations of phentermine are available?
- Tablets: 8 and 37.5 mg.
- Capsules: 15, 30, 37.5 mg.
How should I keep phentermine stored?
Phentermine should be stored in a tight container at room temperature, 20 C to 25 C (68 F to 77 F).
How does phentermine work?
- The exact mechanism of action of phentermine is unknown. It probably decreases appetite by acting on centers in the brain that control appetite. Phentermine is similar to amphetamine. It stimulates the nervous system, elevates blood pressure, and increases heart rate.
Phentermine (Adipex-P, Lomaira, [Discontinued brands: Fastin, Oby-Trim, Obestin-30, OnaMast, Tora, Wilpo, Obenix, Suprenza) is a drug that suppresses the appetite for weight loss. Phentermine should be combined with exercise and diet for the short term treatment of obesity. Drug interactions may occur with some tricyclic antidepressants or monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Side effects include
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
How to Lose Weight Fast: Easy Weight Loss Tips
Here are the best ways to lose weight. From calories to fitness, learn these weight loss tips and win your battle with losing...
Exercise and Fitness: 10 Budget-Friendly Exercise Gadgets
There are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes,...
The Best Diet Tips: How to Lose Weight the Healthy Way
Learn to lose weight in a realistic way that works. Find healthy weight loss by eating right, sleeping more, understanding...
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
Popular Dieting Myths and Facts
Can't tell fact from fiction about weight loss and healthy eating? Discover the truth behind some of the most common diet and...
Build a Better Butt: Workouts for Slim and Shapely Glutes
Want a rear view that kicks butt? Discover the right exercises, cardio, and style choices that can help in the quest for the...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
How to Lose Weight Without Dieting: 24 Fast Facts
Get surprising weight loss tips to help you slim down without starving or following a complicated diet. Lose weight without...
Diet and Nutrition Quiz: Plans & Facts
Even if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to...
Pictures of the 7 Most Effective Exercises to Do at the Gym or Home (and Tips to Improve Form)
These seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most...
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Salt Quiz: Test Your Diet IQ
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Exercise and Fitness Quiz: Test Your IQ
Take our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major...
Diet-Wrecking Foods: Smoothies, Lattes, Popcorn, and More in Pictures
It may seem healthy, but is it really? Many food frauds masquerade as diet food. See 23 foods that seem healthy but can be...
Healthy Seeds: 11 Edible Super Seeds for Better Nutrition
Are pumpkin seeds good for your health? What's the nutritional value of chia seeds? Find out how to easily incorporate more...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Can a high protein diet help you lose weight fast and help you feel full? High-protein diets are popular, but is there a down...
The 30-Minute Fitness Routine in Pictures
This quick, high-intensity 30-minute workout routine can make you look better and feel better. Discover the right way to do...
Tips for Healthy Joints: Exercise, Nutrition, & More in Pictures
Dealing with joint pain and arthritis? Learn why weight matters--and why NOT to stretch before exercise. See these solutions for...
Diet Mistake Pictures: Crash Diets, High-Calorie Drinks, and More
Discover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the...
No-Gym Workout in Pictures: Equipment, Routines, and More
Learn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and...
Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them
Working out is supposed to make you healthier--but some exercises can leave your body at risk of pain or injury. Some exercises...
10 Metabolism Boosting Facts and Myths
Losing weight by increasing your metabolism is challenging. There are many metabolism myths and only a few surefire tricks to get...
Benefits of Exercise: Fitness Facts Prove the Benefits of Working Out
The best way to lose weight? These fast facts show weight loss is possible for everyone trying to lose weight. From calories to...
Food Cravings Slideshow: Chocolate, Carbs, Salt, Sugar
Learn which food cravings can wreck your diet. Whether your craving something creamy or crunchy, sweet or salty, food cravings...
10 Tips for a Healthier Fast Food Diet
Losing weight is tough on the road. Fast food can't compare to the health of a well-planned, balanced diet. But if you must eat...
17 Must-Try Fitness Workouts in Pictures
Learn the latest exercise crazes such as TRX, pole dancing, Zumba, Kangoo jumps, boot camps, exergames and more that are designed...
Vegetarian Diet: Benefits, Meat Substitutions, and Meal Plans
Vegetarian diet plans have benefits like weight loss and reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Vegetarian diet...
Slideshow: 25 Ways to Get Ready for Swimsuit Season
Discover 25 ways to get ready for swimsuit season. See exercises, diet tips, and other healthy beauty fixes that will motivate...
Flat Abs Pictures: 9 Exercises and Lifestyle Tips
Having a flat stomach makes you look great and feel great. But how do you get the flat abs you dream of? Learn how with...
Bad Foods That Are Good for Weight Loss in Pictures
Are you avoiding foods you could be enjoying as you try to lose weight? Get the skinny on "bad" foods like potatoes, cheese, and...
Parenting Guide: Healthy Eating for Kids
How do you get your kids to eat vegetables? Are your kids eating a balanced diet? Follow these tips to teach your kids how to...
Skinny Sipping: Best and Worst Drinks for Losing Weight
From coffee to cocktails, learn which beverages can help or hinder a healthy lifestyle. See the best and worst drinks for weight...
Exercise Tips for Kids and the Whole Family
Exercise is great for kids, and fun activities for the whole family are there if you know how to find them. Learn how to lose...
Grocery Smarts: Right vs. Wrong Food Choices at the Supermarket
Grocery shopping means choosing the right foods and avoiding the wrong ones for a healthy diet. Low-fat snack ideas include...
Portion Control: Plate Photos to Lose Weight, Maintain Diet
Portion control can help with weight loss. The right plate amount can help you stick to a healthy diet. Learn to lose weight with...
Fast-Food Sandwiches: Good and Bad Choices For Your Diet
Want to know what the good and bad fast-food sandwiches choices are? Our experts explore the nutrition facts of major restaurant...
Tips to Eat Healthy When You Dine Out in Pictures
Recognize the dangers of eating out and stay on your healthy diet at restaurants. Learn about healthy eating at restaurants,...
Related Disease Conditions
Obesity and Overweight
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are more than 20% over their ideal weight. That ideal weight must take into account the person's height, age, sex, and build.
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking. There are lifestyle changes that can be made to avoid weight gain during smoking cessation. Lifestyle changes include regular exercise, proper nutrition, limiting snacking and alcohol, medication, and weight management counseling.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Food Portion Distortion FAQs
- Diet & Nutrition FAQs
- Sugar FAQs
- Salt FAQs
- Exercise and Fitness FAQs
- Dexfenfluramine/Fen-Phen Combo Finished in FDA Finale
- Overweight And Obesity Guidelines
- How To Reduce Your Medication Costs
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Indications for Drugs: Approved vs. Non-approved
- Drugs: Buying Prescription Drugs Online Safely
- Drugs: The Most Common Medication Errors
- Medication Disposal
- Dangers of Mixing Medications
- Generic Drugs, Are They as Good as Brand-Names?
- Fen-Phen Heart Hazard
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- 5 Diet Drugs: Which Ones Work?
- Promise From a New Weight-Loss Drug
- Migraine Drug May Up Risk of Eating Disorders in Some Teens
- Experts See Place for Weight-Loss Drugs in Obesity Treatment
- Contrave, Newest Weight Loss Option: FAQ
- Why Aren't Rx Weight-Loss Drugs More in Demand?
- Weight Loss Pill Qsymia 'Gaining Traction'
- Weight Loss Pill Qsymia Now for Sale
- 2 New Weight-Loss Drugs Won't Reverse U.S. Obesity Crisis
- Qsymia, Belviq: New Weight Loss Drugs Compared
- FDA Approves Diet Drug Qsymia
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Weight Loss Pill Qnexa
- FDA Weighs Fate of Qnexa for Weight Loss, Again
- FDA Reconsiders Weight Loss Drug Qnexa
- Qnexa Yields Up to Nearly a 10% Weight Loss: Study
- FDA Panel Says 'No' to Weight Loss Drug Qnexa
- Weight Loss Pill Also Lowers Blood Pressure
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
FDA Prescribing Information