Peripheral vascular disease (PVD), also known as peripheral arterial disease (PAD), is a condition in which there is a narrowing of the blood vessels outside of the heart.
Many people with PVD do not have any noticeable symptoms. When symptoms and signs do occur, these can include
- painful cramping in one or both hips, thighs or calf muscles after certain activities, such as walking or climbing stairs;
- leg numbness or weakness;
- coldness in the lower leg or foot, especially when compared with the other side; and
- sores on the toes, feet, or legs that won't heal.
Other associated signs and symptoms can include a
- change in the skin color of the legs,
- hair loss or slower hair growth on the feet and legs,
- slower growth of toenails,
- shiny skin, and
- loss of pulse or a weak pulse in the legs or feet.
Cause of peripheral vascular disease
PVD is caused by atherosclerosis, which occurs when plaque builds up on the walls of the arteries that supply blood to the arms and legs. The main risk factor for the condition is tobacco smoking.
Other peripheral vascular disease symptoms and signs
- Change in the Skin Color of the Legs
- Coldness in the Lower Leg or Foot, Especially When Compared with the Other Side
- Hair Loss or Slower Hair Growth on the Feet and Legs
- Leg Numbness or Weakness
- Loss of Pulse or a Weak Pulse in the Legs or Feet
- Painful Cramping in One or Both Hips, Thighs or Calf Muscles After Certain Activities, Such as Walking or Climbing Stairs
- Shiny Skin
- Slower Growth of Toenails
- Sores on the Toes, Feet, or Legs That Won't Heal
Main Article on Peripheral Vascular Disease Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
Heart Disease: Foods That Are Bad for Your Heart
If you want a healthy ticker, there are some foods you’ll want to indulge in every now and then only. Find out which ones and how...
Heart Disease: Pill-Free Ways to Cut Your Heart Disease Risk
You don't have to take medicine to lower your heart disease risk. Find out more about how diet, exercise, and other lifestyle...
Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
What is heart disease (coronary artery disease)? Learn about the causes of heart disease, arrhythmias and myopathy. Symptoms of...
Heart Disease: Understand Your Blood and Urine Test Results
Your blood and urine can reveal a lot about your health. Here's how to understand your lab test results.
Picture of Peripheral Vascular Disease
Diabetes also affects the blood vessels and alters the flow of blood. See a picture of Peripheral Vascular Disease and learn more...