The perimenopause is a term referring to the time around a woman's menopause. It does not have a specific definition but can refer to anytime a woman is experiencing menopausal symptoms. Menopause itself is defined as the point in time in which a woman has not had a menstrual period for 12 months. After this point in time, a woman is referred to as postmenopausal.
Signs and symptoms of the perimenopause include irregular or skipped menstrual periods or changes in the quality of menstrual bleeding. Other signs and associated symptoms can include hot flashes, breast tenderness, low sex drive, fatigue, and vaginal dryness that can lead to painful sex.
Cause of perimenopause
Changes in hormone levels that occur with age cause menopause.
Other perimenopause symptoms and signs
- Breast Tenderness
- Changes in the Quality of Menstrual Bleeding
- Hot Flashes
- Low Sex Drive
- Skipped or Irregular Menstrual Periods
- Vaginal Dryness That Results in Painful Sex
Main Article on Perimenopause Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
9 Signs of Perimenopause
Perimenopause occurs before menopause as estrogen levels begin to change. This can cause menopause like symptoms such as hot...
Menopause & Perimenopause: Symptoms, Signs
What is menopause? What are the signs of menopause? What age does menopause start? Learn about menopause and perimenopause...
Examples of Medications for Perimenopause Symptoms and Signs
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- Birth Control Pills (List of Oral Contraceptives and Side Effects)
- conjugated estrogens vaginal cream (Premarin Vaginal Cream)
- estrogens (synthetic)-vaginal cream
- estrogens cream - vaginal
- fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly)
- gabapentin (Neurontin)
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- testosterone - intramuscular, Delatestryl, Tesamone
- testosterone - transdermal, Androderm
- testosterone gel (Androgel)
- testosterone sustained-release - buccal, Striant
- testosterone topical solution (Axiron)
- testosterone undecanoate (Aveed)
- Zoloft (sertraline)