Peptic or stomach ulcers are ulcers are an ulcer in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. Ulcer formation is related to H. pylori bacteria in the stomach, use of anti-inflammatory medications, and cigarette smoking. Symptoms of peptic or stomach ulcers include abdominal burning or hunger pain, indigestion, and abdominal discomfort after meals.
Treatment for stomach ulcers depends upon the cause.Read more: Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Picture of Peptic Ulcer
A hole in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. See a picture of Peptic Ulcer and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More
Upset stomach? Some foods may be the culprits, and bad habits may be to blame. Treat your body right with these simple nutrition...
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Related Disease Conditions
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori ) Infection Symptoms, Test, Treatment
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach,...
Though the cause of stomach cancer is unknown, risk factors for stomach cancer include diet, H. pylori infection, smoking age,...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD...
Nausea and vomiting after eating are symptoms that may be caused by many conditions. Antiemetics are drugs that help get rid of...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Gastritis (Symptoms, Pain, Home Remedies, and Cure)
Gastritis (acute and chronic) is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach Some people have no gastritis symptoms, but when...
Heartburn (Acid Reflux) Symptoms, Relief Medicine, Cures
Heartburn is a burning sensation experienced from acid reflux (GERD). Symptoms of heartburn include chest pain, burning in the...
Vaping (e-Cigarettes, Side Effects, Dangers, Safety)
Vaping or e-cigarettes are smokable products that use refillable or replaceable cartridges or containers that contain a liquid...
Is H. pylori Contagious? Symptoms and Tests
H. pylori (Helicobacter pylori) infection: Is it contagious? H. pylori infection is caused by fecal contamination in either food...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
Hookahs vs. Cigarette Smoking (Addiction and Health Dangers)
A hookah is a water pipe that's used to smoke flavored tobacco like watermelon, licorice, coconut, chocolate, cherry, mint,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Abdominal Pain
- Rectal Bleeding (Blood in Stool, Hematochezia)
- Chest Pain
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- Vomiting Blood
- Loss of Appetite
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Stool Color & Texture Changes (Black, Red, Maroon, Green, Yellow, Gray, Tarry, Sticky)
- Sore Tongue
- Decreased Appetite
- Stomach Cramps
- Rectal Pain
- Stomach Ulcer (Peptic Ulcer)
Medications & Supplements
- ranitidine 25 mg effervescent - oral, Zantac
- famotidine - oral, Pepcid
- esomeprazole delayed-release suspension - oral, Nexium
- diclofenac/misoprostol - oral, Arthrotec
- omeprazole delayed release tablet - oral
- famotidine - injection, Pepcid
- clarithromycin suspension - oral, Biaxin
- ranitidine - injection, Zantac
- clidinium/chlordiazepoxide - oral, Librax
- cimetidine - oral, Tagamet
- lansoprazole delayed-release capsule - oral, Prevacid
- nizatidine - oral, Axid
- sucralfate - oral, Carafate
- omeprazole delayed-release capsule - oral, Prilosec
- misoprostol - oral, Cytotec
- omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate - oral, Zegerid
- famotidine suspension - oral, Pepcid
- lansoprazole delayed-release disintegrating tablet - oral
- ranitidine liquid - oral, Zantac
- esomeprazole delayed-release capsule - oral, Nexium
- ranitidine effervescent - oral, Zantac
- ranitidine capsule - oral, Zantac
- rabeprazole delayed-release - oral, Aciphex
- becaplermin gel - topical, Regranex
- clarithromycin - oral, Biaxin
- ranitidine tablet - oral, Zantac
- lansoprazole/amoxicillin/clarithromycin - oral, Prevpac
- cimetidine - injection, Tagamet
- lansoprazole delayed-release suspension - oral, Prevacid
- pantoprazole - injection, Protonix IV
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- nizatidine, Axid, Axid AR
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- Carafate (sucralfate)
- misoprostol, Cytotec
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride and clidinium bromide (Librax)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- famotidine, Pepcid, Pepcid AC
- lansoprazole (Heartburn Relief 24 Hour, Heartburn Treatment 24 Hour, Prevacid 24)
- omeprazole, omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate, Prilosec, Zegerid, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid OTC
- cimetidine, Tagamet HB
- ranitidine, Zantac
- tetracycline (Sumycin [Discontinued])
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- pantoprazole (Protonix)
- rabeprazole, Aciphex
- esomeprazole (Nexium, Nexium 24HR, Nexium IV)
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) Drug Class
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
- aluminum hydroxide - oral, Alu-Cap, Alu-Tab, Amphojel
- hyoscyamine sublingual (Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, Anaspaz)
- aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, simethicone antacids (Mylanta, Mylanta Maximum Strength)
- bismuth subsalicylate/metronidazole/tetracycline - oral, Helidac
- Anticholinergic and Antispasmodic Drugs
- glycopyrrolate (Robinul, Robinul Forte, Cuvposa, Glycate)
- atropine (oral, Atreza, Sal-Tropine - discontinued in the US)
- aluminum hydroxide suspension - oral, Alternagel, Amphojel
- levofloxacin (Levaquin) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
Prevention & Wellness
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter