Peptic or stomach ulcers are ulcers are an ulcer in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. Ulcer formation is related to H. pylori bacteria in the stomach, use of anti-inflammatory medications, and cigarette smoking. Symptoms of peptic or stomach ulcers include:
- Abdominal burning or hunger pain
- Abdominal discomfort after meals
Treatment for stomach ulcers depends upon the cause.Read more: Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Picture of Peptic Ulcer
A hole in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. See a picture of Peptic Ulcer and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Related Disease Conditions
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Gastritis (Symptoms, Pain, Home Remedies, and Cure)
Gastritis (acute and chronic) is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach Some people have no gastritis symptoms, but when...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori ) Infection Symptoms, Test, Treatment
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach,...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Nausea and vomiting after eating are symptoms that may be caused by many conditions. Antiemetics are drugs that help get rid of...
Though the cause of stomach cancer is unknown, risk factors for stomach cancer include diet, H. pylori infection, smoking age,...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Is H. pylori Contagious? Symptoms and Tests
H. pylori (Helicobacter pylori) infection: Is it contagious? H. pylori infection is caused by fecal contamination in either food...
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Ulcers
Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are prescribed medications for the treatment of inflammatory conditions. Examples of...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
Bernard-Soulier Disease (Giant Platelet Syndrome)
Bernard-Soulier disease is a rare inherited bleeding disorder caused by a defect in the platelet glycoprotein complex 1b-IX-V....
Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Symptoms
What were signs and symptoms did you experience with a peptic or stomach ulcer?Post View 66 Comments
Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Treatments
What kinds of treatments did you receive for a peptic ulcer?Post View 10 Comments
Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Causes
In your opinion, what was the cause of a peptic or stomach ulcer in you, a friend, or relative?Post View 8 Comments
Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Complications
What complications did you have with a peptic or stomach ulcer? Please share your story.Post View 8 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Rectal Pain
- Rectal Bleeding (Blood in Stool, Hematochezia)
- Stomach Cramps
- Loss of Appetite
- Sore Tongue
- Stool Color & Texture Changes (Black, Red, Maroon, Green, Yellow, Gray, Tarry, Sticky)
- Chest Pain
- Abdominal Pain
- Vomiting Blood
- Stomach Ulcer (Peptic Ulcer)
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Decreased Appetite
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
- ranitidine 25 mg effervescent - oral, Zantac
- famotidine - oral, Pepcid
- esomeprazole delayed-release suspension - oral, Nexium
- diclofenac/misoprostol - oral, Arthrotec
- omeprazole delayed release tablet - oral
- famotidine - injection, Pepcid
- clarithromycin suspension - oral, Biaxin
- ranitidine - injection, Zantac
- clidinium/chlordiazepoxide - oral, Librax
- cimetidine - oral, Tagamet
- lansoprazole delayed-release capsule - oral, Prevacid
- nizatidine - oral, Axid
- sucralfate - oral, Carafate
- omeprazole delayed-release capsule - oral, Prilosec
- misoprostol - oral, Cytotec
- omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate - oral, Zegerid
- famotidine suspension - oral, Pepcid
- lansoprazole delayed-release disintegrating tablet - oral
- ranitidine liquid - oral, Zantac
- esomeprazole delayed-release capsule - oral, Nexium
- ranitidine effervescent - oral, Zantac
- ranitidine capsule - oral, Zantac
- rabeprazole delayed-release - oral, Aciphex
- becaplermin gel - topical, Regranex
- clarithromycin - oral, Biaxin
- ranitidine tablet - oral, Zantac
- lansoprazole/amoxicillin/clarithromycin - oral, Prevpac
- cimetidine - injection, Tagamet
- lansoprazole delayed-release suspension - oral, Prevacid
- pantoprazole - injection, Protonix IV
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) Drug Class
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- Anticholinergic and Antispasmodic Drugs
- ranitidine, Zantac
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- pantoprazole, Protonix
- Carafate (sucralfate)
- omeprazole, omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate, Prilosec, Zegerid, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid OTC
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- esomeprazole (Nexium, Nexium 24HR, Nexium IV)
- lansoprazole (Heartburn Relief 24 Hour, Heartburn Treatment 24 Hour, Prevacid 24)
- cimetidine, Tagamet HB
- famotidine, Pepcid, Pepcid AC
- aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, simethicone antacids (Mylanta, Mylanta Maximum Strength)
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- misoprostol, Cytotec
- aluminum hydroxide - oral, Alu-Cap, Alu-Tab, Amphojel
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
- rabeprazole, Aciphex
- tetracycline (Sumycin [Discontinued])
- glycopyrrolate (Robinul, Robinul Forte, Cuvposa, Glycate)
- atropine (oral, Atreza, Sal-Tropine - discontinued in the US)
- levofloxacin (Levaquin) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- hyoscyamine sublingual (Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, Anaspaz)
- aluminum hydroxide suspension - oral, Alternagel, Amphojel
- chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride and clidinium bromide (Librax)
- nizatidine, Axid, Axid AR
- bismuth subsalicylate/metronidazole/tetracycline - oral, Helidac
Prevention & Wellness
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter