Patient Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kate94, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

March last year I had pelvic inflammatory disease from giving birth. In December 2014, the infection was that bad they had to do surgery to clear out infection. I was on IV antibiotics for a few days and then oral antibiotics for a week. I have not had any sign of period since this had happened.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I've been suffering pelvic pain for over 2 weeks now. We've been trying to conceive and after my missed period I was anticipating a positive pregnancy test. But no, obstetrician/gynecologist diagnosed pelvic inflammatory disease 5 days ago. Tests for chlamydia, gonorrhea, yeast, bacterial vaginosis and trich were negative. I've been prescribed doxycycline and metronidazole. After 5 days on the medicines, still no improvement and doctor has refused to change the prescription. He told me to follow up after the medicines are done. I'm really scared that I am not doing enough to contain this disease.

Comment from: lonelygirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been suffering from pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) for the past three months. I have been to the emergency room twice and both times, doctors missed it. I suffered from very irregular periods, pains in lower abdomen, loss of appetite, high temperature, back pain, shoulder pain, white thick clumps or discharge, pain during intercourse, and leg pain. I do not have a sexually transmitted disease, though I did suffer from a urinary tract infection (UTI) just before the PID symptoms started. I have been on Flagyl for 7 days and doxycyline for 21 days. Symptoms are still there although a little bit better.

Comment from: TiffySis25, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I had been having abdominal pain for 2 years and constant UTIs and bladder infections so I went to the doctor and they said I had chlamydia and took meds for it and later the symptoms went away. About 2 months after they came back and they told me I just had a bladder infection. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the past 3 years and haven't been able to. They checked my thyroid and did some other blood tests and came up normal. I would just like to know if the abdominal pain and infections from PID can go away after it's been untreated because of all of the damage it has caused.

Comment from: sara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My pelvic inflammatory disease symptoms include irregular bleeding, lower back pain, pain in lower and upper legs, pains in left and right of lower abdomen, and painful intercourse at times.

Comment from: livinghellhelp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am suffering from pelvic inflammatory disease. The doctor gave me medicines but they aren't working. I cannot stop urinating frequently, there is a burning somewhere up there and I have horrible abdominal pains almost constantly, nothing is right down there!

Comment from: Pop, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I had PID twice. The first effective antibiotic is Doxyn and Flagyl for seven days. On my second PID, Doxyn and Flagyl are no longer effective. Same for Zithromax. But when I was prescribed clindamycin, I started feeling better.

Comment from: ewegross, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I have PID caused by Chlamydia, thanks to my cheating husband. I went to the hospital after two days of excruciating stomach cramps and shoulder pain so bad I could not breathe. I was sent home with a prescription for generic antibiotics as they ran blood and urine tests and did not notice anything out of the norm. Still in pain, my family doctor was certain I had gall bladder disease (I'm only 25 and VERY healthy) It wasn't until I was informed that my husband was sleeping around that it clicked, and I went and got tested. Sure enough, I have a serious STI and may not be able to have kids again. I've been on 3 different antibiotics and still feel like crap.

Comment from: whoknows, Published: March 01

For those women who believe their partners were unfaithful because they got PID- you can (and often do) carry an STD for YEARS before you know about it- I found out I had herpes last year while my fiancé does not have the STD at all. We'd been together a year before I had an outbreak, and I never cheated or anything. I found out you can carry an STD for YEARS before you show any symptoms, or never show symptoms at all! I only had one partner before my fiancé, and I must have gotten it from him when we were dating over a year before I met my fiancé. It CAN happen that you can have an STD and NOT EVEN KNOW IT- so please, just because you have PID (or any STD) don't assume your significant other is cheating on you. My fiancé never even thought I had cheated, although I have an STD he does not have. I had herpes for almost 2 years before it reared its ugly head on me. It happens often. In fact, 80% of people who have herpes DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!!! You may have had PID before you even met your current partner. You likely have other STDs as well, that you've had for years. Who knows? But don't automatically assume your partner is cheating on you- YOU could have brought the STD into the relationship and not even known it.

View the Birth Control Options Slideshow
Comment from: bmcboulger, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had PID less than a month after getting an IUD put in. My pain tolerance is extremely high, but have never been in so much pain in my life. I couldn't walk to the bathroom, I had to have my boyfriend carry me up the stairs, I couldn't sit for more than 10 minutes without having to lay down. It would take me forever to pee due to the extreme pain I was in every time I pushed. I was hunched over and could not flatten my back. The pain was from my belly button all the way down and around to my butt hole. I was admitted into the ER and was there 15 hours. When they did the pelvic exam I threw up due to the pain when the doctor pushed on my stomach. The next day at my OBGYN was when I was diagnosed with PID, at this time there was no research that had been released about an IUD causing PID. Countless tests were done and I was put on antibiotics. He admitted me to the hospital overnight so he could keep his eyes on me. He told me that he had never seen it this bad. I had about 15cc's of fluid in me when he did the ultrasound. When I asked him about my chances of having children after this, he told me he would be surprised if I carried my own children. The pain felt like I was being cut from the inside out with a butter knife. It was the worst pain of my life.

Comment from: Ladylee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I've been suffering from PID for a year now. It's really hard, because I'm now on two kinds of antibiotics, the symptoms of cramping are still there, and I'm fatigued. I'm already on my fifth day of antibiotics and I'm scared that cramping will not go away after the antibiotics. It's hard – I don't have any pain, but the pressure in my ovary feels as if there is something pushing it downwards, which will be followed by shortness of breath, and nausea.

Comment from: A mother with PID, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with PID when I was 21. I spent three days in hospital on heavy IV antibiotics. I was told to my dismay and sadness that I would most likely not have children. I was distraught and conducted myself as If I never would. I was also told I could potentially have a recurrence of the symptoms and PID could flare up again. At the age of 24 I thought that I was having a flare up of PID and went to the Doctors office. They told me I was pregnant. I was shocked. For those of you that think it isn't possible to get pregnant or have children, don't give up hope. I have an 8-year-old daughter now!

Comment from: ScienceGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

The most effective treatment for my PID was 14 days of Doxycycline; 100 mg twice a day, Metronidazole twice a day for 14 days, and some Hydrocodone for the pain. I got PID from the bacterium Ureaplasma, which is highly disregarded and not understood by medical practitioners. The symptoms feel like a UTI, but negative test results always return. Negative tests for GC/Chlamydia as well. Sometimes, it is really hard to get a positive culture, and my symptoms have gone ignored because either doctors ignore the positive Ureaplasma or can't get a positive test result. I still keep demanding for this test, and I hope one day doctors and medical practitioners trust their patient's symptoms and treat Ureaplasma.

Comment from: skk, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

For now I am being treated with Metronidazole and another antibiotic. The doctor wasn't sure if it was chlamydia, bacterial vagnosis, or gonorrhea. My only symptoms were horrible discharge (the most noticeable of all symptoms), gradually I developed some mild lower abdominal pain on my right side which also migrated to my back. I haven't had a noticeable fever. Who knows, I get my test back today to confirm what exactly has caused this.

View the Birth Control Options Slideshow