Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome). Submit Your Comment

Comment from: studentPTA, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I am a 37 year old student physical therapist assistant and one of my instructors (a doctor of physical therapy) informed me that I have chondromalacia patella. My symptoms started in high school as I was highly active in sports all year around since I was very young. It was mostly just a lot of crackling and stretching sounds that came from my knees but no pain. After my military service, the pain showed up but I did my best to block it out mentally. Here I am a decade later after my military service, in pain, lateral and posterior patella misalignment, and lots of crunching sounds; oh and did I mention lots of pain! My iliotibial band is extremely tight so I have been rolling it out daily and working out my quads/vastus medialis but nothing seems to be working. I am seriously considering surgery but I'm not sure if that will work.

Comment from: Supermabel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had hip replacement surgery done and as soon as I came home my knee was black and blue and extremely painful especially when the physiotherapist squeezed it. My hip is now healed but I have been left with chondromalacia patella in the same knee. I have never had any issues with my knee before this hip surgery, no pain or anything. I suspect this happened during the surgery when my hip was dislocated to facilitate the repair. So far my orthopedic doctor has done two cortisone injections which did nothing. I am so frustrated, as I went in with one problem and came out with another and there appears nothing is going to be done to fix it. This problem with my knee affects the way I walk which is a real issue.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have had chondromalacia patella. Strengthen quadriceps and vastus medialis oblique, it helps a lot when it flares up. Pool exercises are great. I had 2 lateral releases which kept my knee cap from dislocating. See a good physical therapist. I still have it and will live with it. It usually flares up when I stress the knees. Avoid surgery because there are no guarantees it will work.

Comment from: Sooz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella 2 years ago. I ended up getting a cortisone needle and that has been fantastic. I was going really well until I got a massage a few weeks ago and it got overstretched during the massage now I am back to square one again. Feeling very frustrated as I thought my knee was doing really well! So thinking I may have to get another needle.

Comment from: b-leann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am 30 years old and was so rough on my knees growing up, sports, and just normal 'I'm young and invincible'. Well, all that caught up with me. I was just diagnosed with chondromalacia patella and also an inflamed plica band. The plica band can be fixed, that one I'm not too worried about, if physical therapy doesn't work, we try injections, if those don't work we do surgery to relieve the tension. The doctor I saw was very straight forward (about the chondromalacia) and told me the only way to really get relief is to build up my quadriceps, that way should keep my knee cap from sliding and grinding. I have to avoid stairs, squats, running, and lunges; well, unless I just wanted to hurt. I also have to wear a brace during the day and ice at night when I get home. I am in the nursing field so it's pretty much impossible to keep off my feet. He has me going to physical therapy 3 times a week for 6 weeks to get the muscles built up as much as possible. My options as per him were, they can go in and scrape cartilage but then by doing that to me seems like it'd be just taking away what cushion there is, steroid injections, or just deal with it. Well, I can say wearing the brace during the day and icing when I get home and the Aleve and avoiding what I know will just aggravate my knee I have felt some relief, but I know it's only temporary. From my understanding from the doctor and research this is something I will have to deal with the best I can and that the ball is in my court to do what I can to help.

Comment from: waqas, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I am trying to find out if undergoing plasma stem therapy or prolotherapy helps chondromalacia patella.

Comment from: JHawk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I started experiencing increased knee pain after playing softball in August. I am an avid player, and I am very familiar with the RICE method for sports injuries. After a month of RICE, my knee was not improving. I got an x-ray which was normal. I got an MRI, and I was told I have patellofemoral chondromalacia, as well as ganglion cysts. The doctor I saw did not give me very much information on treating this condition. It feels like a blowtorch is constantly running underneath my kneecap. The pain keeps me up at night. Ibuprofen, Aleve, and Advil are not effective in treating the pain. I wear a brace every day, and I have limited my more aggressive activities. This condition is already effecting my lifestyle, and I am not really sure where to go from here. I guess my next step is a second opinion.

Comment from: Kenyav, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I am 31 I have been dealing with chondromalacia patella for over a year. I have been to the doctor and hospitals because of the pain. I have had two injections and also weeks of therapy. None of that have seemed to work, the shots worked for a few weeks then they stopped working. I am getting surgery next month.

Comment from: Phil, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

Well, I developed chondromalacia patella when I was 17, from a fall. I am 32 and have had pain off and on since I was 17. I just went to the orthopedist and my old MRI was apparently not good enough so I have to get another one. Assuming what I have read online here is true, it never gets better only worse. Now I think that is promising, so another MRI is going to say obviously, it is worse. Especially when I lift my leg from bent to straight, my knee cap bone skips across the joint with one loud pop. I did read about cartilage replacement somewhere, why are we not being offered that solution! What I have noticed with my pain is too much exercise or too little causes severe pain. I have a special brace that helps but it still hurts to go upstairs and cold weather makes it throb.

Comment from: nicky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am 40 this year and was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella when I was 17. I was very fit and active then and was training to go into the police force. They said it was the physical training I was doing that caused my knee problems. Every year I get times where my knee pain is unbearable but I have got so used to it now it is just my way of life. I don't take pain killers for it, I sometimes wear a knee sock but that doesn't really help. The doctors told me it normally goes away with age; I am still waiting!

Comment from: Jknees, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am 23, I've had 2 ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) reconstructions on both knees (total of 4 surgeries) from basketball through high school and climbing post-college. The most recent surgery left me with patellofemoral pain syndrome and chondromalacia in both knees. The chronic pain was almost to the point where it was unbearable, however I started to do a lot of VMO (vastus medialis oblique) strengthening/targeting as well as some low grade hiking which for some reason seems to help the most with curbing pain symptoms. Lots of ibuprofen and ice help as well. I have a limited range of motion in both legs, so stretches are limited. I do try to do a decent amount of core strengthening as well as exercises to help with my hip alignment (going to the chiropractor has also been a great help). It took me a really long time to figure out what could help and what wouldn't, so hopefully this post will help someone out! That being said, in my case I do have a lot of damage from surgeries, trauma and general mal-alignment and will probably need a double knee replacement around 40. Bad knees are no fun!

Comment from: tracie, Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I have chondromalacia patella (CP). I was hoping to find some encouragement but I see that we are all in the same boat. I started having trouble with my knees in high school. Running sprints my knees would buckle. I fought through it. Being young was on my side. I am now 42 and can barely get through an exercise class. After 2 days of class, I'm done for months. I had Euflexxa injection 4 years ago. They help very little. I gave up hope and decided that I would live in pain and not be able to be active the way I would like to be. I cannot ride a bike or do squats at all and climbing stairs is excruciating! I'm hoping to get some answers from a new doctor. I'm not going down without a fight.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella 30 years ago. I was in agony with knee pain, I had all kinds of treatments, and then I had a double patellectomy, not at same time. I am now in more pain than ever before, I have been told they should never have removed my knee caps. I now have permanent disability in my legs.

Comment from: Crackers, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I'm 30 years old and have suffered with pain in both knees since I was around 5 years old. I'm hyper mobile and have flat feet which seems has caused the chondromalacia patella problems. I had physiotherapy as a teenager and after a few sessions was told goodbye and good luck. I am still having problems. Some days I wake up in pain, normally when it is damp/cold. I can do nothing and still be in pain. I love running but think it's done me no favors. I just don't want pain to beat me. Anyway I have seen rheumatologist and have a date for MRI. I might also have Raynaud's and carpal tunnel!

Comment from: acogirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

When I was 14 I sustained an injury to my right knee from rollerblading. I began seeing an orthopedist who diagnosed me with chondromalacia patella and sent me to physical therapy (PT). No success, I was still in a lot of pain. From there I attended 3 more rounds of PT (6 to 8 visits each round) over the next year or two, and still no pain relief. I began taking 2 Aleve twice daily, which I still take to this day. I saw a second orthopedist for a new opinion, and was told there was nothing he could do except PT and ibuprofen. Seven years later I"m in more pain than I"ve ever been and my primary care doctor is referring me back to the orthopedist. I"m still doing at home PT exercises and taking Aleve twice a day. It feels like glass is underneath my knee cap when I walk. The pain is excruciating. I can hardly walk at this point. I"m 21 years old and should not feel like this. I"m really hoping for some type of relief from this orthopedist. I"ll take anything at this point.

Comment from: eryka4206, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I remember having knee pains as early as my teen years. It started getting worse in my twenties. I saw a doctor, she gave me NSAIDS and told me to ice my knees. They made my stomach cramp to the point where I could hardly stand it. A few years later I went to another doctor, who diagnosed me with chondromalacia patella (CP), told me to take Celebrex (pain is still there), and do physical therapy to correct it. I got stronger, but my knee pain didn"t get better. I got the lateral release done on my left knee. It felt better for maybe 6 months, now 8 years later, the pain in both my knees is horrible. I can"t live as a 30 year old should (now 32). I am so sad even thinking about the limitations I will have once I have kids. I don"t understand why there isn"t more treatments for us. We are in pain, nothing works, need to find something that does. I"m at my 4th doctor now and once again, they treat you like you are making up the extent of your pain and tell me physical therapy will fix me right up. I cringe, I cry, I"m in pain all the time. It used to just be walking up and down stairs. As I sit typing this, I"m in pain. My pain level is never below a 7. I was offered a knee realignment surgery but my second opinion doctor said not to do it. I"m wondering if I should. Well I"m back at it, fighting to be taken seriously. I would take knee replacement at this point, but I"m so young. I don"t think they will do it. Living with this much pain to no avail and no respect from doctors is depressing.

Comment from: TeeTee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I recently had arthroscopic surgery for chondromalacia patella on my left knee and also had therapy. I have had Euflexxa shots and one cortisone shot so far. My knee is still in pain especially at night. I tried icing and staying off of it as much as possible but nothing seems to help. I have to go back for a follow up in one week and I really do not want to keep getting shots in my knee. They are so painful. My pain is getting worse every day and I think they are going to throw their hands up soon. Walking up and down the stairs is getting aggravating. I can't walk far distances like I used to. This is the first time I have been out of work and it is very frustrating.

Comment from: dsr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I've been suffering with knee pain in both knees for years. It is very sad and scary to see so many others getting the same mixed messages from doctors trying different things and no relief. The chondromalacia patella just keeps getting worse through the years. Sounds like the only thing we can do is live with it until we are old enough for knee replacements or they figure out a way to replace the cartilage maybe someday.

Comment from: Ms7821, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My son experienced chondromalacia patella and had an MRI and surgery. After 2 years of seeing the specialist and physical therapy we had no results and they finally went in and cleaned up the cartilage. He is now playing football and pain free. The surgery was microscopic and painless.

Comment from: fran Smith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I have lived with knee pain for years. It is worse in my left knee I have had 2 arthroscopic surgeries on my left knee and still no relief. I survive on a daily basis by taking pain medications and sitting on a heating pad. I however was never a runner or played any type of sports yet I have suffered from this chondromalacia patella for years. I have tried the cortisone injections with which I received no relief at all and I am currently in the process of seeing yet another orthopedist.

Comment from: bratt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've been having this problem for a while now and it's getting worse. I went through physical therapy twice, still no relief. It's getting harder to get around (walking, bending, kneeling and the stairs). I've tried several medications which don't relieve the pain.

Comment from: ab26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I was diagnosed 3 years ago while I was in college for ECE Electrical and Computer Engineering) - so now I can't do what I went to school for and had to fight to get disability. It took almost a year to get all the tests done and figure out exactly what the problem was. Because of chondromalacia patella my right knee (the really bad one) has degraded so bad to the point that I am 26 and I already have signs of early onset osteoarthritis. It is not a fun thing to have to go through - I have good days and bad. The really bad days are when it's damp and cold and the anti-inflammatories I'm on don't really do anything; and I'm on the max dose.

Comment from: m43, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had knee surgery at 20 for a meniscus tear and the doctor told me I also have chondromalacia patella and he scraped the back of my kneecap to help. Twenty years later and after two more surgeries for more meniscus tears I still need cortisone shot every three months without any relief. I have been taking two 10-325 pain medicine every 4 to 6 hours ritually just to get to work and through the day. This is the worst knee pain any one can have; when I lay down I can count my heart beats through the throbbing.

Comment from: babymama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

While I was in the Navy I served five straight years of sea duty on destroyers. These small ships have many levels and lots of stairs. The boots I wore were standard issue steel toe boots. Over time, going up and down so many stairs every day as well as standing watches which required me to be on my feet for five or six hours at a time, my knees became quite achy. It hurt them to sit for long periods, it hurt when I woke up in the morning. Eventually it hurts just to go up or down stairs. My knees did not keep me from being discharged at the termination of my contract; however, I applied for disability at the VA and was granted 10%. Almost three years later, I still occasionally experience that familiar dull ache behind my kneecaps. Just this morning I awoke to find that my left knee was just not happy with me.

Comment from: manateemama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I'm 57, have been dealing with chondromalacia patella for over 20 yrs. Seems common with fibromyalgia. I am still able to be pretty active. I swim at a gym where they keep the water at 86 degrees. I am able to bicycle if I limit the distance and wear Spandex type knee supports. I ice the daylights out of my knees the second I get off the bike, and continue to ice as much as I can throughout the day. I take generic Aleve as needed. I'm seeing a physical therapist for another problem and she noticed my knees. She has shown me how to tape them - it's easy and works well, and has recommended a knee brace that has a hole where the kneecap is, and has a horseshoe shaped support that can be moved to either side of the kneecap. I haven't tried it yet. I do exercises for the muscles around the knees, and because they do impact my knees, I also ice right after those. I change positions frequently when sitting. I've been taking glucosamine sulfate for just over 3 months, with no improvement noted. Sometimes I get depressed and overwhelmed by my pain and limitations, but I will die fighting this before I turn into mush (I hope).

Comment from: Sonja, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

When I was in my 20's my knees started "giving out" on me occasionally without warning and with no pain associated. As the years went by I began hearing a grating noise when walking up or down stairs. Now in my 40's I am experiencing pain, weakness, stiffness as well as very loud grinding and grating. I am not overweight but probably would benefit from strengthening the muscles that support my knee. X-rays show the tell-tell sign (spot) indicating Chondromalacia Patellae as well as little or no space between the bones. I have started taking gluc, but have not seen an improvement yet. I am unable to sit with my legs bent as this produces stiffness and pain. Also, if I walk or stand for long periods of time my legs become so painful and weak that I can barely stand another minute and must sit and rest. I have children and I am a very active person, but this has changed my life. I cannot walk down stairs without holding the stair rail as my knees feel so unstable and I cannot participate in activities with my children the way I would like too. I am hesitant to see a doctor because I have NEVER heard of anyone having successful knee surgery and it usually brings on a slew of other problems!

Comment from: Grown69842007, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

My knee first started hurting somewhat back in '04. I think it was the change from running three times a week to not running at all. Anyway, I went to the doctor eventually and they gave me some Motrin and sent me on my way. A few months later I went back and this time they took X-rays. They still said there was nothing out of the norm and gave me some more Motrin. I went back a few months later and they took more X-rays. Finally, they let me know that I have patellofemoral syndrome. My knee cap moves when I bend my leg and my knee hurts when it is bent for a short period of time. So, I finally got some physical therapy, but was getting nowhere with it. They gave me a brace also to keep my knee cap in place when I exercised. After all of this, my pain got worse one morning when I woke up and it hurt to straighten out my knee. I went to the doctor the other week and they were surprised that my knee cap moved even more and they prescribed me naproxen. They also set me up an appointment with orthopedics for later this week.

Comment from: jaylyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

As a child (8 yrs old) I was told my knee pain was just growing pains. At the age of 27 I was diagnosed with chondromalacia. I am now 45yrs old and the pain is not just isolated to the knees but also affects my hips. I have a desk job, so I sit all day and if I sit too long, when I get up I am stiff and can barely move. Squatting and climbing stairs are difficult. I've put on weight because it's hard to do any exercise, which the extra weight doesn't help the knees. From the age of 8 I've tried it all. The anti-inflammatory drugs, the creams, and heating pads, you name it.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have been suffering from knee pain for the last couple months-about 3 months. I went to the doctor and I wasn't exactly sure what my condition was because he was using doctor speak. Anyhow, he said to rest and take anti-inflammatories for 2 weeks and rest it another 2 weeks. I took the anti-inflammatories, but I did not stop my activity. About a month later after increasing knee pain, I stopped all activity. I have been reading online and realized that all my symptoms I have point to chondromalacia. I have now been resting for a little over a month. The knee pain is slightly better, but I still have a general ache in both knees when I sit too long, or do too much walking. I also have a horrible creaky noise coming from my right knee. I have been recently trying to ice my knees every day and working on strengthening my quads, calves, hamstrings and such. It's been tough being inactive for so long. My worry is my knees will never be 100%.

Comment from: waqas, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I have been diagnosed with chondromalacia patella and came across stem cell procedure. I wonder if it does really help.

Comment from: gopal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have patellofemoral syndrome. Taping and pregabalin 75 mg daily once gives me a lot of relief and I avoid climbing downstairs.

Comment from: grfurtado, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

During my first experience with my knee, I was a fire crew supervisor, and we were cleaning vegetation from the roadside. At the beginning of the week I started feeling my left knee getting sore. By Friday I could hardly move it. I went to the ER, where they extracted a couple hundred cc's of fluid from my knee. They took an X-ray and sent me to a specialist, who did surgery. I had about 45 days of rehab. Now, 20 years later, I'm facing the same operation. I was bowling, my shoe stuck to the floor, and I fell. My doctor said I bruised it. Two days later, the pain was quite severe. I went to the ER, where they did X-rays. A specialist ordered an MRI. Now I'm waiting to find out what kind of operation he is planning. Stay tuned.

Comment from: Mango, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I have never had any problem with my knees until I was involved in a motorcycle accident in which my knee hit the road at about 40 k.p.h. I fractured my tibia, ruptured my ACL, tore my medial meniscus, and had a grade 4 chondromalacia patella. A specialist told me I had this condition all along. I never had any problems with my knees and am still trying to find if this was caused by the accident or it just made it worse.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 18 years old and have had knee problems throughout my high school athletic career, which has been mostly distance running involving cross country and track. My parents and coaches had noticed that as I run, my legs would kick out to the side in a semi-circle as I brought them forward after each step. After seeing several doctors and receiving many diagnosis that produced no results, including patellar tendonitis, I was finally diagnosed with chondromalacia patella. Once my orthopedist got me to a medical supplier who provided me with a knee brace to align my patella and set me up with physical therapy, there was a marked improvement. Unfortunately, I had only one of the two braces I needed due to confusion with the medical supplier, and my physical therapy was only twice a week for an hour, which was not nearly enough to counteract the aggravation caused by my daily two and a half hour cross country practices, despite my efforts to see the trainer to work out on the bike on days when the pain was at its worst. I couldn't sit still in class, and no position was comfortable for my knees. I ended up "flunking" physical therapy, which I hadn't known was possible, but after finally seeing a medical supplier half an hour away to get my second knee brace for my still-worsening legs, I was able to control the pain. Although I still wasn't able to improve my times to what they had been before all these problems, it was still nice to be able to finish my races without crying, as I had been at the beginning of the season. Now that I have a break from sports for a few months until track, my legs have been steadily improving without the constant stress of daily runs.

Comment from: ramfan09, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have had knee pains ever since I can remember. I was very active in soccer when I was younger, from the age of five to about nine. Even after I stopped playing soccer I would have knee pains almost daily. I'm 18-years-old now and went to the doctor yesterday, because even though my knees had always hurt, this was not just an ache but a sharp pain, and bending my knee was also painful. I was diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patella Syndrome. My problem is that along with the Chronromalacia Patelle pain, the muscle that stabilizes my knee is too short to work properly. I have three weeks of physical therapy to look forward to, where they will take a foam roller and basically roll out my muscle, like rolling out dough. I'm also taking glucoseamine pills 3 times a day for at least 3 months. The physical therapy is going to be painful, but I would rather have that than my knee get worse!

Comment from: syy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella at age 16. It was so bad that my doctor felt surgery was the only answer. I went in for knee arthroscopy, and he also had to move my knee caps down because they were placed too high. At the time, there were no guarantees that it would work. I was told it would either get better or not change at all. Since then, it has gotten nothing but worse. I have tried every kind of physical therapy possible, all painkillers, anti-inflammatories. I have specially fitted orthopedics in my shoes, and yet here I am, five years later, in worse pain then I ever thought. They told me the only thing left to do was to give me total knee replacements, but that this couldn't be done until much later on in life as it has to be repeated many times. I would say to avoid knee surgery at all costs, in my personal experience, it has been nothing but horrible.

Comment from: mamap, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I developed chondromalacia patella in my late 30s. I have always been relatively active, but not excessively so. The condition just "started," without any injury preceding it. There was no excessive activity before having symptoms of this disorder. My leg would make horrible crunching, popping sounds when walking, especially going up and down stairs or hills. Finally, my doc scheduled an MRI that discovered the cause of my discomfort.

Comment from: sunfireL33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My PFS seems to be directly related to unfortunate genetics; at 25 I have dislocated my patella 5 times and have been in rehab for over a year and a half (this time around). Keep your quads and glutes in good shape and take glucosamine/chondroitin supplements religiously and it'll stay manageable. Once you stop taking it is when you notice the pain and discomfort increase. Also, have your feet looked at for alignment and candidacy for orthotics; by adjusting my right heel it takes 80% of the pressure off my right knee. A patella strap is also something to try (cho-pat, mcdavid make them), which will help with your patella alignment when walking or being active. At any rate, I've been dealing with this for 10 years and am now a candidate for micro-fracture surgery to correct it because I've been incredibly active and aggressive with sports and rehab. Find a great physical therapist and an adjusted work-out routine would be my best advice to any of you!

Comment from: a, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I'm 31 and have been suffering from chondromalacia for 10 years. Along with the constant ache and pains, my patellas also dislocates very easily in both knees. I have found I need to be very gentle to my knees which I find extremely frustrating. Most people think I am just making excuses not to do things. I am not overweight and I have found the treatment that has worked the best for my pain has been a trip to the podiatrist. Good shoes with custom orthotic insoles has made the world of difference. Please consider this as a possible treatment; it has worked wonders for me.

Comment from: Shannon, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I started having knee pain around age 8 and just learned to deal with it as a part of growing up. It began increasing around age 11 to the point where I am unable to run anymore. I am now 16 and was diagnosed with chondromalacia 3 months ago. I have been in physical therapy for 2 1/2 months and am seeing little improvement. I have been in knee braces since then and now I am trying a tape technique. Unfortunately, I think surgery is in my near future.

Comment from: bug, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Hello just over two months ago I was told that I was one of the many lucky women who has chondromalacia. Sadly people especially teens should go to their doctor if they want to enlist because it is a dischargeable condition. I only wish I could have found out and fixed the problem before I was booted out. while I have much pain mainly in my left than my right I feel tightness as if the muscle is going to snap I often wake up in pain and have trouble sleeping as well. I hope this helps someone good luck and the anti inflammatories do work a little.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: October 06

It hurts when I stand sit or exercise and it's in both knee and the pain is so bad I cry because I can't stand the pain it's in both knees I can't stand for long periods of time. My doctor gave me naproxen does it even work the same with the Aleve and Tylenol?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My knees have been cranky and creaky for about ten years. Movie theaters with so-called "stadium seating" are frequently very painful for me and when I walk up or down stairs one knee makes a dreadful creaking. I used to have a lot of pain in both knees (one more than the other.) The main thing that has help relieve the pain is riding a bicycle. I started out in a gym on a stationary bike (30-45min) and as the weather got better, began riding my own bike to the gym. I have used shallow Epsom salts baths, Ibuprophen and icing for 10 minutes 2-3x/day when the pain has been really bad. All have helped.

Comment from: ashmatash918, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was involved in a car accident and now I have this horrible pain. My doctor said I am suffering from Chondromalacia Patella. If I sit for too long with my knee bent I start having sharp pain shoot through my leg and it is difficult to walk once I straighten it out. The anti inflammatory medication has worked some, but I am still in constant pain.

Comment from: Austin, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

At 17, I've had Chondromalacia patella in both knees. I run long distance cross country and play tennis. I've been training six days a week for about a year, and now I can run for about 10 minutes without pain, but after that the pain comes and it gets to be unbearable. I've been biking on a stationary bike and have been doing strengthening exercises for my quads and hamstrings, but I've still been out for the past four weeks.

Comment from: Syl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

My doctor prescribed physical therapy for my chondromalacia patella. My biggest problem is getting up from a seated position. Disabled toilets are not high enough. I am at the point of wondering when I go out if I will be able to get up once I sit down. Many of times, I've called my husband on his cell phone to come and get me out of the ladies' room.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

At age 34, I developed Chondromalacia Patella from walking 5-7 miles per day. Initially, the problem may have started from overuse, without stretching. Walking on grass instead of concrete results in much less knee pain, and daily hamstring stretches have helped, but I have not been able to fully recover from PFS yet, after 1.5 years.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter