Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep. A person experiencing a panic attack may believe that he or she is having a heart attack or that death is imminent. The fear and terror that a person experiences during a panic attack are not in proportion to the true situation and may be unrelated to what is happening around them. Most people with panic attacks experience several of the following symptoms: racing heartbeat, faintness, dizziness, numbness or tingling in the hands and fingers, chills, chest pains, difficulty breathing, and a feeling of loss or control. There are several treatments for panic attacks.Read more: Panic Attacks Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
PTSD Quiz: Test your IQ of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Can you have PTSD even if you've never been to war? Take the Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Quiz to learn about PTSD, who gets it,...
Panic Attacks (Panic Disorder) Quiz: Test Your Mental Health IQ
Could you suffer a panic attack? Take this Panic Attacks Quiz to learn causes, symptoms, and treatments for panic disorder. Use...
What's Your Biggest Fear? Phobias
Learn about phobias such as agoraphobia, claustrophobia, arachnophobia, zoophobia, and more. Discover some of the symptoms and...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
Anxiety Disorder Pictures: Symptoms, Panic Attacks, and More with Pictures
Learn about generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). See if your worries are normal or something more by learning about symptoms,...
Related Disease Conditions
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Cushing's syndrome, sometimes referred to as hypercortisolism, is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure to high levels...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Mitral Valve Prolapse (Syndrome, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Surgery)
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP), also called "click murmur syndrome" and "Barlow's syndrome," is the most common type of heart valve...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Vertigo (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Home Remedies)
Vertigo is the sensation of spinning or rocking, even when someone is at rest. Vertigo may be caused by a problem in the brain or...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
ICU psychosis is a disorder (also a form of delirium or acute brain failure) in which patients in an intensive care unit or a...
Tourette syndrome is disorder, which symptoms include involuntary facial tics, motor tics, and vocal tics. The cause of Tourette...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Nightmares are dreams that cause high anxiety or terror. Nightmares may be a part of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and...
Agoraphobia is a fear of being outside or of being in a situation from which escape would be impossible. Symptoms include...
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder that causes a person to suffer repeated obsessions and compulsions....
Postpartum depression is a form of depression that occurs within a year after delivery. It is thought that rapid hormone changes...
Sleepwalking (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Phobias are unrelenting fears of activities (social phobias), situations (agoraphobia), and specific items (arachnophobia). There...
Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women)
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause,...
Ingredients of the drug bath salts include mephedrone, methylone, MDPV, or MDPK. Feeling high and sexually stimulated are...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis)
Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder FAQs
- Panic Attacks Disorder FAQs
- Panic Attack Symptoms
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - Treatment
- Beta Blockers: Why Take a Beta Blocker?
- Stress: Three Minutes to Stress Relief!
- Does Stress Cause Panic Attacks?
- 7 Tips to Make Holiday Travel Less Stressful
- 4 Holiday Stress Management Tips
Medications & Supplements
- fluoxetine - oral, Prozac, Sarafem
- buspirone - oral, Buspar
- alprazolam extended-release - oral, Xanax XR
- venlafaxine sustained-release - oral, Effexor XR
- paroxetine mesylate - oral, Pexeva
- escitalopram - oral, Lexapro
- lorazepam concentrate - oral
- paroxetine controlled-release - oral, Paxil CR
- clonazepam disintegrating tablet - oral
- diphenhydramine - injection, Benadryl
- sertraline liquid concentrate - oral, Zoloft
- diazepam - oral, Valium
- venlafaxine - oral, Effexor
- lorazepam - oral, Ativan
- diphenhydramine - oral, Benadryl, Genahist, Sominex, U
- clonazepam - oral, Klonopin
- paroxetine suspension - oral, Paxil
- lorazepam - injection, Ativan
- alprazolam concentrate solution - oral, Alprazolam Intensol
- alprazolam - oral, Xanax
- sertraline - oral, Zoloft
- paroxetine - oral, Paxil
- diazepam - injection, Valium
- lorazepam (Ativan)
- buspirone, Buspar (Discontinued brand in the US)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- fluvoxamine (Luvox and Luvox CR have been discontinued)
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- alprazolam (Xanax, Xanax XR, Niravam) Anti-Anxiety Drug
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- clonazepam (Klonopin)
- desipramine, Norpramin
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- citalopram, Celexa
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Antihistamines (Oral)
- chlordiazepoxide-injection, Librium
- kava (piper methysticum) - oral
- chlorpromazine - oral, Thorazine
- bromazepam-oral tablet
- prochlorperazine (Compazine, Compro)
- oxazepam (Serax, Zaxopam)
- fentanyl lozenge - buccal, Actiq
- valerian (valeriana officinalis) - oral
- passion flower (Passiflora incarnata, Apricot Vine, Passion Vine, Water Lemon, and many others)
- Benzodiazepines (Benzodiazepine Drug Class)
- Antihistamine Shots (Injections)
- chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
- clomipramine (Anafranil)
- methotrimeprazine-oral tablet, liquid
- clorazepate - oral, Tranxene
- perphenazine and amitriptyline hydrochloride (Etrafon - brand no longer available in the US)
- chlorpromazine-injection, Thorazine
- paliperidone (Invega)
- trifluoperazine (Stelazine, discontinued)
- Klonopin (clonazepam) vs. Xanax (alprazolam)
- Ativan vs. Xanax
- Ativan (lorazepam) vs. Valium (diazepam)
- Alprazolam vs. Diazepam (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- Lexapro vs. Wellbutrin: Differences between Side Effects and Uses
- Celexa vs. Cymbalta (Comparison of Differences and Similarities)
- Cymbalta (duloxetine) vs. Effexor (XR, venlafaxine) Differences in Uses, Dose, and Withdrawal
- Benzodiazepines vs. Narcotics (Opioids)
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Recognizing a Panic Attack
- Helping Ease Kids' Fears After Manchester Terror Attack
- Teen Girls More Stressed Than Boys: Survey
- Bullying Can Leave Lasting Mental Scars
- ADHD Stimulant Drug Abuse Common Among Young Adults: Survey
- Study Finds Doctors Prescribing More Sedatives
- Psychiatric Ills Widespread Among U.S. Soldiers: Studies
- Recreational Marijuana: Are There Health Effects?
- Parents' Social Anxiety May Raise Kids' Risk for Anxiety Disorder
- Phobic Anxiety May Link to Premature Aging
- Bipolar Disorder Often Untreated
- Health Tip: If You Have Symptoms of Panic Attack
- Obesity Linked with Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Panic Attacks, Understanding Them
- Depression: The Link Between Depression and Other Mental Illnesses
- Natural Panic Attack Treatments
- Panic Attack Isn't Cowardice
- Panic Attacks
- Health Benefits Of Physical Activity
- Social Phobias - Fear Of Gatherings
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder FAQs
- Anxiety Disorder FAQs
- Anxiety Disorders Quiz
- Mental Disorders in America
- Eating Disorders
- Anxiety and Cancer Patients
- Children's Mental Health Facts