Pancreatitis is a rare disease in which the pancreas becomes inflamed. There are two types of pancreatitis: acute and chronic. Symptoms of pancreatitis include abdominal pain, fever, nausea, vomiting, and a rapid pulse. Treatment of pancreatitis often requires hospitalization.Read more: Pancreatitis (Acute, Chronic) Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Pancreas
Front View of the Pancreas. The pancreas is about 6 inches long and sits across the back of the abdomen, behind the stomach. See...
Picture of Pancreas
A fish-shaped spongy grayish-pink organ about 6 inches (15 cm) long that stretches across the back of the abdomen, behind the...
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
Read about the health risks of chronic heavy or binge drinking. Anemia, cancer, gout, cardiovascular disease and many more...
Your Face: A Window Into Your Health
What medical problems appear on your face? Look into the mirror and find out. Jaundice, glaucoma, skin cancer, and cracked lips...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Related Disease Conditions
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, and Treatment)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
Gallbladder Pain (Gall Bladder Pain)
Gallbladder pain (often misspelled "gall bladder") is generally produced by of five problems, biliary colic, cholecystitis,...
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Symptoms and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Gastroparesis is a medical condition in which the muscle of the stomach is paralyzed by a disease of either the stomach muscle...
Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumor of the pancreas. Pancreatic cancer has been called a "silent" disease because early...
Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar)
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)
Hypercalcemia is a condition in which calcium levels in the blood are elevated. Hypercalcemia is associated with other conditions...
Pancreatic cysts are collections of fluid within the pancreas. Some are benign, malignant, or pseudocysts. There are two major...
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a lung condition in which trauma to the lungs leads to inflammation of the lungs,...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Duodenal diverticula (extramural or intramural), or duodenal diverticulum, is a pouch that is attached to the first part of the...
A parasite names Ascaris lumbricoides causes ascariasis. Symptoms and signs include: abdominal pain, abdominal swelling,...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
Pancreas divisum is a common congenital anomaly (an anomaly that is present at birth) of the pancreatic duct(s). The human embryo...
Weber-Christian disease is a rare inflammatory disease that affects the body's fat tissues. It's also known as relapsing febrile...
Choledochal cysts are cysts of the bile ducts. There are several different types of choledochal cysts. These cysts are...
Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI)
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or EPI is a condition in which a person's pancreas can't produce or secrete certain enzymes...
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Pancreatitis - Symptoms
What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?Post View 148 Comments
Pancreatitis - Treatments
How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?Post View 40 Comments
Pancreatitis - Causes
If known, please describe the cause of your case of pancreatitis.Post View 32 Comments
Pancreatitis - Experience
Please share your experience with acute or chronic pancreatitis.Post View 10 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
- Stomach Cramps
- Stool Color & Texture Changes (Black, Red, Maroon, Green, Yellow, Gray, Tarry, Sticky)
- Abdominal Pain
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- Tightness in Chest
- Pleurisy (Pleuritis)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Chronic Pain
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- What Is Biliary Sludge?
- What Is an ERCP Procedure For Pancreatitis?
- Can MRI Find Pancreatic Duct Stones?
- Can Gallbladder Problems Cause Blood Clots?
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
- Ask the Experts - Gastroenterology (GI Testing)
- Ashcroft Surgery for Gallstone Pancreatitis
Medications & Supplements
- Digestive Enzymes (Oral)
- hyoscyamine - oral, Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Donnamar,
- calcium supplement/vitamin d - oral, Citracal + D, Os-Cal, Oyster S
- atropine (oral, Atreza, Sal-Tropine - discontinued in the US)
- hyoscyamine sublingual (Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, Anaspaz)
- hyoscyamine - disintegrating oral tablet, Nulev
- pancrelipase enteric-coated capsule - oral, Creon, Ultrase, Zenpep, Zymase
Prevention & Wellness
- 5 Deaths Reported After Balloon Obesity Treatments
- Blood Test for Pancreatic Cancer Shows Early Promise
- For Inflamed Pancreas, Eating Right Away May Be Best Medicine
- Is Surgery Always Necessary for Gallstones?
- FDA Issues Warning About Balloon Obesity Treatments
- More Than Half of Americans Have Chronic Health Problem: Study
- New IBS Drug Eases Stomach Pain and Diarrhea for Some: Study
- Urine Test Might Find Pancreatic Cancer Early, Study Suggests
- New Drug Lowers Levels of Triglyceride Blood Fats: Study
- Blood Protein May Spot Pancreatic Cancer Early
- 1 in 10 Deaths Among Adults Tied to Alcohol: CDC
- Blood Test May Spot Pancreatic Cancer Earlier
- Diabetes Tied to Higher Risk of Pancreatic Cancer in Study
- Blood Test Might Help Spot Pancreatic Cancer Early
- New Drug May Someday Battle Obesity and Diabetes
- Blood Test for Pancreatic Cancer Shows Promise in Early Trial
- Blood Test Might Spot Pancreatic Cancer Early, Study Finds
- Newest Diabetes Drugs Linked to Higher Pancreatitis Risk
- Gene Ups Pancreatitis Risk in Men Who Drink Heavily
- Statins Won't Hurt, Might Even Help, Your Pancreas: Study
- Eating Vegetables May Protect Pancreas, Study Suggests
- Consumer Group to FDA: Take Victoza off the Market
- Drug May Prevent Pancreatitis After Digestive Procedure
- Endoscopy May Be Better Than Surgery for Severe Pancreatic Infection
- Two Pancreatic-Enzyme Products Approved
- Hospitals Ranked for Emergency Medicine Quality
- It's 'Buyer Beware' When Getting Statins Off the Internet
- Do Grapes or Alcohol Make Red Wine Good for the Heart?
- Blood Test Shows Promise in Spotting Pancreatic Cancers Early
- Group Calls on FDA to Pull Alli, Xenical
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter