Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Christie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I have just been diagnosed with strep throat. This is my 2nd time in years. It is certainly the worst feeling ever. My throat felt as if it was on fire and my ears hurt and I had a fever. I had to go to the emergency room at 5:30 am. They gave me Keflex and advised not to go to work, to take ibuprofen, drink lots of fluids and rest. It was so painful to swallow I wanted to cry every time I tried

Comment from: noPCme, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a year and a half ago. I was given no chance of survival, 3 to 6 months, and inoperable. I was advised to call the right-to-die people, to not bother with an oncologist as it would do no good. Well, here I am today, my inoperable tumor removed, and cancer-free. I received experimental immunotherapy, chemotherapy, radiation, and the Whipple surgery. I also practiced self-hypnosis, visualization, and prayer, (and have a very strong will to live). My advice, take courage, take hope, some of us do survive, and new treatments are being developed that can offer a real cure. And never let medical professionals needlessly frighten you with dire prognosis! If I had listened and done nothing, I would have died a year ago. Remember there is mystery to life, mind, and spirit; we are so much more than a scary disease. Take heart!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had an operation in 2009 for pancreatic cancer (PC), the tail of the pancreas and spleen were removed, out of 4 lymph nodes in the spleen, 2 were cancerous. I was told I have a 7% chance of making it 5 years, this September will be five years. I also have breast cancer not related to PC. This month marks my 5th year, I am now a breast cancer survivor. Since day one I have been experiencing stomach pain and throwing up, no matter what they do it stays with me. I had chemotherapy and radiation together, 25 radiation treatments and one year of chemotherapy. I just want to be able to lie down without getting sick to my stomach. The doctors are really great but nothing works.

Comment from: Not my time, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I was lucky. My cancer was found very early. The only symptom I had was I "turned yellow". Since I had no pain the doctors started looking for cancer. I had Whipple procedure performed on me in Feb 2012, went through 6 months of chemotherapy and radiation. I did not experience any side effects from the chemotherapy or radiation. I kept a positive attitude throughout. The ordeal was very hard on my family; I was along for the ride. I now understand I am one of the few that has beaten the odds (2 years to the good and counting). All I can say is, in Feb 2012, it was not my time!

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My husband of 30 years is alive and very well today after his pancreatic cancer diagnosis at the age of 37. We were told at the time he would not see his 38th birthday. He is now 55 years old. At the time of his diagnosis, only one surgeon was willing to help us as all our other avenues told us it was too late. After surgery, my husband elected not to have any chemo or any other radiation therapy. He battled for 12 months in recovery and slowly but surely he regained enough strength to go back to work full-time, very rarely having a sick day off. We were given a 1% chance of having anymore children and now have a grand 16-year-old boy. He has remained cancer-free to this day. When he is asked why he thinks he survived, he says, "It's all in the mind."

Comment from: Rileychris71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Your full article about pernicious anemia helped me understand what I have been diagnosed with recently. My vitamin B12 level is 399, which points to a deficiency that is caused by pernicious anemia. I've dealt with iron deficient anemia and my red cells are slowly shrinking and not absorbing Iron from food. This started in 2011 to 2015. Received blood once and had 3 iron infusions. My experienced symptoms are continuous, but as per emergency room doctors and basic tests done results are normal. I wonder if I need to see help specialists or a different type of doctor.

Comment from: Ladyleo, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My mother had pancreatic cancer. She refused to take anything except chemotherapy by mouth. They couldn't do surgery because the cancer had wrapped around an artery. She also developed high blood sugar. They found it in 2002 and she did alright for several years but the last maybe 3 years of her life she didn't do too good. She passed away in 2012, but I feel like this was a long time due to it spreading to her liver. I think having her family close all the time helped her to be with us for 10 years after they found it. She was also a strong willed person that loved her family and fought to live in the end.

Comment from: GregO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

Gemzar, Cisplatin and radiation kept the main tumor on my pancreas from growing, reduced the size of one lymph node to half its size and reduced the other by .4 X .4cm.

Comment from: Jayzee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had the whipped in June of 2011 followed by 6 months of chemo (Gemzar) and 6 weeks of radiation. The cancer was found in 7 of my lymph nodes at the time of surgery. As of today (May 2012) there has been no sign of cancer with 19-9 levels well within normal range. I am 37 years old. I feel great and have regained almost all of my strength and appetite. I did get plenty of rest during treatment and tried to eat often despite battling nausea. Keep a positive mindset and pray, pray, pray!

Comment from: Bonny, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

It's in GOD'S hands, when the doctor says no chance left, that's man's ideas but GOD is in charge he has all power in his hands. My best friend is diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and it has spread to her Liver, we are praying and having faith in the good Lord. She has three sons, who are heart broken, but they are trying to hold on and so am I she is my best friend whom I love dearly, she is a strong woman and is holding everyone else up!!! Praise GOD and give him the GLORY always.

Comment from: toni, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My dad is 74 and has started treatment on January 4, 2011. He has had 3 treatments of gemzar and now has had a port put in and gets 5FU injected to him 5 days a week along with radiation every day as well. This treatment is supposed to last 5 weeks. He is doing ok but he only weighs 106 lbs. still has stomach pains and nausea, but with meds can get a handle on it. We don't think he will be strong enough for surgery, he has COPD and I am wondering if anyone knows.

Comment from: Texas, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 09

My husband of 22 years was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and went through bypass surgery, chemo and radiation. He was only given six months but lived 18 months. He tried so hard, but the cancer was overpowering. I am praying for anyone diagnosed with this disease. It's so hard on the patient and the family. We had four children and our youngest was only 2 at the time. May God bless anyone and their family suffering with this disease.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My husband has neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer. In April of this year he had a 6 1/2 pound tumor removed from his abdomen, along with 1/2 of stomach, 2/3 of pancreas, spleen, left adrenal gland and it was a miraculous surgery. However, each of those parts contained pancreatic cancer and it has spread to the spinal column and liver. He has been getting chemo and had radiation. He is doing so much better and last week he golfed 18 holes of golf twice. We are amazed; however, he continues chemo and will have another CT scan this month. He is 64. We are not in this battle alone and most likely the chemo will continue. We won't give up hope though.

Comment from: dbent, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March of 2006. I went to the Mayo Clinic and had the Whipple procedure on March 28, 2006. I returned home for three months for recovery. Then I returned to Mayo for three months of radiation and chemotherapy. As of last June 2009, my CT scan showed no new cancer cells, and the doctors have considered me in remission. I thank the Lord and Mayo Clinic every day of my life.

Comment from: dkpx2, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

May 6 my wife was diagnosed with stage IV PC. Started treatments the end of May. She was accepted in a trial study. The stem cell drug is OMP-59r5, along with Abraxane and gemcydabine, after 4 treatments she had a 50% reduction in lesion size (from 4cm to 2cm). She is treated once a week and has not been sick at all from the chemo.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My grandfather was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in December 2012. He had surgery to get the tumors out of the pancreas and stomach. After surgery he had radiation. July 2013 he was cancer free. But my grandmother died and he went into depression and took a lot of stress. The cancer came back and spread to the liver, and now Dr. said that he is too weak to get treated with Chemo. The Dr. stated he has maybe two months rarely 6 months. I'm still going to ask for radiation treatment for his stomach so that he has less pain when having bowel movements. I pray for everyone that has gone through this. Keep positive and don't give up. It's God who makes the call! My prayers go out to you all!

Comment from: CarlaC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

June of 2000 I underwent the Whipple proceedure followed by 9 months of chemo and radiation treatment for stage 1 pancreatic cancer. I was 40 years old at the time with two young boys and really believed I wouldn't be around to watch them grow into adults. I'm still around and proof that you can survive from this awful cancer. My thoughts and prayers go out to both the patient and there families.

Comment from: sister, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

My sister (70 years old) is a 10-year breast cancer survivor. She has now been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. After her first devastating experience with chemo, she turned to natural holistic medicine, and especially, liquid antioxidants, and Isotonix OPC-3, which I got for her. It detoxed her body and gave her inner strength to fight off toxins. In my opinion, natural antioxidants are great for those patients who medical professionals will not treat due to their age or other reasons.

Comment from: Kathy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 10

My mother, age 85, has just been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She is healthy and walks one mile three times a week. She has no weight issues, but has been told she only has up to four months to live. I'm wondering what we can expect to see as the disease progresses. My heart aches for her, as there is nothing I can do to help her. They will not do any chemo or radiation due to her age.

Comment from: hurricane, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My mom was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She is 86 years old and chose not to have surgery or chemo due to her age. My family is looking in to diet and eating all those cancer fighting foods.

Comment from: dua, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 08

My father is suffering from pancreatic cancer and unfortunately his portal veins are located inside the solid mass. So the doctors says that because of this the mass can't be removed by surgery.

Comment from: melissap, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas when I was 37 and 10 days post partum with my fourth child. I had a Whipple procedure and was sent home and told there was nothing else to be done except for follow up CT scans. That was 20 years ago in January. I am 57 and back in school in a radiation therapy program. I agree. Sometimes it is all in your attitude. I knew I had to get home and take care of those four children.

Comment from: day by day, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am a 31-year-old female diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in May 2008, then chronic pancreatitis in June 2010, and finally pancreatic cancer in December 2010. My problems started from heavy alcohol use after my gallbladder was removed. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't explain the importance of stopping drinking after first being diagnosed with pancreatitis, so the continued use led to where I am today -- in constant pain and withering away. If you have any problems with your pancreas at all, it would be wise to stop all your unhealthy habits ASAP and keep praying! God's the only one who can really heal you!

Comment from: aplawa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 36 years old, and I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in September of 2010. I had my spleen and three-fourths of my pancreas removed six months ago. As of a few days ago, I am still cancer-free. The only problem I have now is diabetes, which I am struggling to get under control. My prayers go out to everyone dealing with this.

Comment from: malone99, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My dad was a healthy 74 year old when he was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma, pancreatic cancer. His only symptom was weight loss. It was terminal and he was given 6 months to live. He passed in 4 months. He started with weight loss, then diarrhea, loss of appetite, and then being unable to swallow food. The cancer was extremely aggressive and each week he got progressively worse. The last part was his stomach swelled/bloated like he was a few months pregnant and he slept alot the final two weeks. After the stomach swelling he passed about two days later. Now my 41 year old extremely healthy fit husband had a left side stomach ache for two days went to dr and had a CT scan, they saw a 3 inch mass on the tail of his pancreas. Then he got a 103 fever and now we are waiting biopsy results. Praying and hoping for the best. Glad to hear success stories on this board as well as others.

Comment from: IslandGirl, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

I have a friend that is 56 years old who just found out he has pancreatic cancer. He was told by his doctor that he has six months, if not treated, and nine months if treated with radiation or chemotherapy. He's been relatively healthy, other than his diabetes, which he takes pills for.

Comment from: jcandler, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on Dec. 28, 2004. It was inoperable due to the tumor being in the portal vein. After six weeks of radiation and oral chemotherapy, the tumor had shrunk. I was operated on in March of 2005. After two months, I started regular chemotherapy for the next six to seven months. I had treatment every week for three weeks and then a week off. I visited my oncologist yesterday, and there is still no sign of the cancer.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 16

My husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in February 2012. Surgery was not an option because it had spread too far. Radiation was not an option because it only goes to one place. Chemotherapy didn't work, the chemo pill Afinitor didn't work, so now he will start hospice. He has a 10 cm tumor on his pancreas, a 16 cm tumor on the right lobe of his liver, and almost all his liver is gone.

Comment from: Angela, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 12

April 2010 at the age of 74 I had pancreas and duodenum Whipple procedure for pancreatic neuroendocrine carcinoma tumor on head 3.5. Had head of pancreas, gall bladder, part of small intestine, and stomach, and 21 lymph nodes removed, 3 nodes were positive. It is one year since surgery and as of now no occurrence of metastasis. Since surgery diabetes has improved so cut back on insulin, take pancreaze to aid in digestion but appetite has returned and put on a few pounds. Had thyroid nodules that became toxic after surgery causing hyperthyroidism but with a very low dosage of medication have that under control.

Comment from: Son, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My dad was 58 when diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer stage 4. They gave him 6-9 months to live with chemo treatment. He faught it for 16 months and passed in November 2010. The chemo stabilized the cancer, but by then his liver started to act up.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last October. She is 75 and has heart and blood pressure problems. She has lost 4 stones in weight since the beginning of last year. The doctor had said she has "up to a year" of her life left. I look at mum everyday and see her getting frailer and I do not think she will live to the end of this year.

Comment from: sharon, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 13

My dad was recently told that he is suffering from pancreatic cancer and has been scheduled for an operation on 30 September 10. My heart goes out to him and really hope that he will be able to cope with it as he is already in his 70s. He is also a diabetic patient. Please God help him pull through the operation and make the recovery process a little easier. Mum and all of us will have to be strong and never gives up hope on my beloved dad.

Comment from: BeginningToBelieve, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My grandfather just had surgery, after months of taking all kinds of medication and going through chemotherapy. Last week, after 9 hours of surgery, the doctor removed the tumor off of his pancreas. He is technically cancer free now, unless it has spread further to places they do not know about.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

My mother is 70 years old with pancreatic cancer. After an operation she had in August 2009 she took chemotherapy for 3 months. In December 2009 MRI showed that cancer appeared on the liver. After two months of Chemotherapy she was so tired from the symptoms of the therapy that doctors decided that was no use to carry on with therapy. Doctors gave her maximum time of life 1 year. 3 weeks after last chemotherapy she is recovering and feels better even though family is very pessimistic about her future. We expect that the end is very near.

Comment from: sad sister, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 23

Well I really just have a question. My sister survived the Whipple surgery 7 years ago. It has now come back fast and furious!! She's going down very fast and we can hardly bare it. Now all of a sudden she has been bloating bad in her belly and the Dr. has given her 2 bags of Lasik. I know that it is only a matter of a short time before she slips away but I'm not ready. If you can let me know about this fluid I would appreciate it.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

My mom, 81 has just been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. She at the moment is accepting of her situation. I have recently heard of new cancer treatments where nano particles of metal, such as gold, are injected into the body system. My basic understanding is that these nano particles are attracted the cancerous cells and then are "nuked" with the result of the individual cancer cells being killed.

Comment from: shadowppup, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 09

I am so glad to hear the news that some of you are beating this awful cancer. My mom died 10 years ago at the age of 48. Her death was the darkest part of my life. She never got to hold my little girl. So anyone who has it I'll pray for you and I hope you find a doctor who will help. I hate when someone says she lost her battle, she didn't lose she fought like a warrior. I prefer to think that God just called his warrior home. God Bless.

Comment from: moodysaaber, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I wonder if there should be regular screening for pancreatic cancer. I have known about 10 people who have died of it because it wasn't found soon enough (a "silent" killer). My mother died of it as did my wife's mother. It is extremely painful in the end and has often metastasized all over the liver.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have pancreatitis, and I am a new diabetic, has anyone checked to see if our cholesterol drugs have caused this? My MD put me on one and right off I got a fatty liver, then diabetes went from pill controlled to insulin, then to pancreatitis. Finally I forgot a Simvastin and the pain lessened. I quit taking the drug and I am slowly coming back to health, very slowly. I believe it caused much of my illness. My cholesterol wasn't that high, and was almost normal three months before I had to go on insulin.

Comment from: bpierce686, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 05

Chemotherapy has stabilized the cancer. I have had 11 treatments, the last three months ago.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter