Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: hootyowl, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 15

Sudden severe pain in left side and unusual excessive belching were the only symptoms of my pancreatic cancer. No nausea or any food related symptoms. CT scan did not show anything but very mild diverticulitis. After two weeks of antibiotics it seemed to subside. A year later when the excessive belching and pain in side reappeared, another CT scan revealed 3 cm mass on pancreas.

Comment from: candygirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

My husband had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) symptoms. I developed similar symptoms; while his symptoms improved. I went to my Primary care physician (PCP) and had stool studies and lab tests. Everything was negative. I tried to improve the symptoms of diarrhea, gaseous stomach, minor pain, weight loss, by eating a selective diet. My symptoms continued. My stomach started swelling and my abdomen itched. I thought I had some type of blockage or bowel ischemia so I sought additional medical attention. My gastroenterologist suggested I get a CT scan of abdomen and chest. A 4 cm x 4 cm mass was found in the head of my pancreas. I am scheduled for a EUS (endoscopic ultrasound) biopsy next week. Please don't wait.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

My brother is a firefighter, just diagnosed two months ago with pancreatic cancer. He had pain in the back, which then moved to stomach, and lack of appetite. The smell and thought of alcohol makes him sick, and he had smelly stool! He's been in horrible pain for almost a year. Now he is doing chemotherapy and had a stent put into stomach; he couldn't keep down food for over a month!

Comment from: GregO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

Amylase level was 5000, I had both acute and chronic pancreatitis. There was severe pain in the upper left quadrant of stomach going through to my back. I lost 30 lbs. in the first month. I also had nausea and loss of appetite.

Comment from: dkpx2, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She had no symptoms other than she had an occasional side ache. She hadn't smoked in 33 years. She was a non-drinker and active walker. She went to the doctor when she had issues. She was a relatively very healthy woman other than having high cholesterol and asthma. She had no other health issues. At diagnosis, her lesions were 4 cm and in the main body of the pancreas with spots on her liver.

Comment from: pmicheleperkins, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

In February 2014 my regular physical indicated a problem with my gall bladder and possibly a mass on the head of my pancreas. It turned out to be stage 2 pancreatic cancer. I underwent the Whipple surgery in May and returned to work full time in July. I am still taking the oral chemotherapy but have had no side effects except for diarrhea which is related to the Whipple. I have been very fortunate and am thankful.

Comment from: maj, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 20

My son passed away this July with pancreatic cancer, he was only 47. His liver was enlarged and it had spread to his bones, lungs, and his entire body. It turned him real dark, his last week on earth was very painful and he could not talk anymore. The pain was so bad his heart gave out and he passed away.

Comment from: scared, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 28

My brother had prostate problems and was given treatment and had to wear a device for a while. He had stomach problems and felt like he had bad heart burn. Soon the pain became worse after prostate problem died down and he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Comment from: Zoe, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

There was weight loss and diarrhea.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 29

My grandfather had extended abdomen five years prior to diagnosis. He also had loss of appetite and blood in his stools. Two months before diagnosis he went to the ER three times and they said he had gerd but it was pancreatic cancer. They found out by putting a camera down his throat and there was a tumor blocking the stomach from food from entering. He also started to vomit food those two months.

Comment from: gigifour4, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have poor appetite, weight loss bloated stomach, back pain, wake up in the middle of the night with presure feeling in rectum that I need a bowel movement. For several days I was constipated but I eat bran cereal every day. My sister passed away with pancreatic cancer a yar ago. She was 73 years of age. Two of my sister have breast cancer, a brother with lung cancer. On my Mother's side of the family several Aunts died from various types of cancer.

Pancreatic Cancer Overview