Palytoxin: a highly potent toxin (poison) that affects humans when ingested, inhaled, or through skin contact. Palytoxin can cause damage to a number of organ systems and can be fatal. Most commonly, exposure to palytoxin causes severe respiratory problems. Palytoxin is found in a marine species related to corals, and human cases of poisoning have been reported after eating seafood and after cleaning salt-water aquarium tanks. For example, removal of rocks from marine aquariums as part of the cleaning process has been rarely documented to release palytoxin particles into the air, leading to poisonings from inhalation.
Data from the U.S. National Poison Data System show that at least 171 reports of inhaling or coming into skin contact with palytoxin were made to poison control centers between 2000 and 2014.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Thakur, LK, et al. Palytoxin-induced acute respiratory failure. Respir Med Case Rep. 2017; 20: 4–6. Published online 2016 Oct 21. doi: 10.1016/j.rmcr.2016.10.014